Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147290 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
The Night Has Passed; The Day is Near
« Reply #30 on: 13 November 2013, 02:34:57 »
You all understand if there is a 'Forgotten' Doctor then our good Doctor Who has used up all his regenerations now. A hidden Doctor would give us Twelve known Doctors and as we all know Gallifriens only have twelve regenerations, well except the Master who somehow got a thirteenth.

Well, actually the Master doesn't even count. I mean he went through all his regenerations, and then got several new (non-Timelord) bodies to boot. And then it appears he got a new (Timelord) body during the Time Wars.

Also Moffet has said he's pretty much tossed the limit out the window. Hasn't said how, just that the Doctor will find a way. Which my be the over arching theme for Capaldi's year (as that is all he's signed on for).
« Last Edit: 18 November 2013, 17:28:02 by YingJanshi »

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: The Day is Near
« Reply #31 on: 14 November 2013, 07:30:20 »
The Night of the Doctor, a mini-episode:

http://youtu.be/-U3jrS-uhuo

I would watch the hell out of a TV movie or two with McGann's doctor written and performed like that
« Last Edit: 14 November 2013, 08:06:00 by Lorcan Nagle »
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: 14 November 2013, 08:02:17 »
SQQQUEEAAAALLLLLL!!!!!!!!!

*goes to change his undies*

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #33 on: 14 November 2013, 09:28:50 »
Well that improved my day.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #34 on: 14 November 2013, 09:38:37 »
Finally!
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #35 on: 14 November 2013, 10:07:05 »

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #36 on: 14 November 2013, 10:25:54 »

I would watch the hell out of a TV movie or two with McGann's doctor written and performed like that

Me too!
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #37 on: 14 November 2013, 11:43:26 »

You provided nearly 7 minutes of awesome.
For that I thank you.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 14 November 2013, 22:16:41 »
Well that explains things

I thought there were 13 Regenerations? Also, how are they going to explain the regeneration from Matt to Peter during the Christmas Special if it is 12?
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #39 on: 14 November 2013, 23:57:56 »
12 regenerations=13 incarnations of the Doctor.

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #40 on: 15 November 2013, 00:00:08 »
Inquiry.  Should we merge these threads?  Or, since Season Seven is done, and this is discussing the anniversary year, should the old thread be locked - replaced by this one?
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #41 on: 15 November 2013, 00:49:32 »
This is more about a single episode than the show itself so I don't think so.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #42 on: 15 November 2013, 03:10:49 »
Well that explains things

I thought there were 13 Regenerations? Also, how are they going to explain the regeneration from Matt to Peter during the Christmas Special if it is 12?

I have every confidence that they either won't mention the old 12 regeneration limit, or there'll be some Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey technobabble explanation as to why it doesn't effect the Doctor any more.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #43 on: 15 November 2013, 03:33:10 »
Several easy ways to do so. Just grant the War Doctor additional regenerations. Maybe that is his reward/price for finally joining the Time War. The Master was offered more regenerations as a reward in "The Five Doctors", so I don't see why it can't be granted to the Doctor.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #44 on: 15 November 2013, 05:33:01 »
They need to do more with McGann's doctor.

Hell, I still think they should have skipped Eccleston and used him for the relaunch.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 15 November 2013, 08:59:54 »
When the Doctor gets more regenerations he becomes someone else. He becomes the Master.

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #46 on: 15 November 2013, 20:16:00 »
They need to do more with McGann's doctor.

Hell, I still think they should have skipped Eccleston and used him for the relaunch.
I've heard his first four Big Finnish Audio Dramas (by Moffatt and Gatiss - the team behind Sherlock).  His companion is still a twenty something Earth girl - but from the 1920s.  The episode, the Stones of Venice was almost certainly the basis for the Smith era Vampires of Venice.  And, a minor character throughout, flying around in the TARDIS, is one of the reality monsters we saw when Rose saved her dad.
Better than the visual adventures of Matt Smith, and overall I liked the Smith era.  Almost a hybrid of the modern Who aesthetic and classic.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 15 November 2013, 20:38:32 »
There were a long series of novels on the 8th Doctor that were canon before the revamped series; I heard they were quite good
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #48 on: 15 November 2013, 22:18:15 »
So do you guys think there will be more mini-episodes of young War Doctor?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #49 on: 15 November 2013, 22:21:50 »
Only if they can get John Hurt to the Fountain of Youth :p
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

omega2010

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 16 November 2013, 05:34:03 »

Yep, he's not the Doctor I was expecting... and now I want more.
Who is driving?  OH MY GOD!  BEAR IS DRIVING!  How can that be?

Steve - They thought they could take the caps off all the markers and let them dry out. But there was one marker they never reckoned with.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #51 on: 16 November 2013, 06:59:37 »
So do you guys think there will be more mini-episodes of young War Doctor?

Was the Doctor actually using a different epithet during his time as the "War Doctor"--his character had changed so radically that he actually couldn't/wouldn't be known as the Doctor anymore?  (question prompted by the "Doctor no more" comment right at the end.)  And how is it that the War Doctor now seems to have his own separate physical existence?  It's possible he could be some kind of "bonus" regeneration created by the Sisterhood of Karn's elixir, and when the need for him is over, he's somehow extracted from the Doctor, who then resumes his "normal" sequence of regenerations--albeit with all of the War Doctor's memories and knowledge of what he did during that time.

Also, didn't the whole thing smack just a bit of blackmail by the Sisterhood?  "You can drink this potion and become somebody who would do things you would never do, or you can die now and the rest of the universe will soon follow you."  Could they not have kept him alive with the Elixir they gave him after extracting him from the crash?

Still, Cass' attitude towards the Doctor shows just how bad the Time War was--not only did "lesser races" know about the Time Lords, but both sides had apparently done sufficiently horrible things that the Doctor was tarred with that brush as soon as Cass realized he was a Time Lord.

Besides "The Brain of Morbius", what other stories have the Sisterhood of Karn appeared in?  In the credits, the leader of the Sisterhood is named Ohila.  There was an Ohica in "The Brain of Morbius".

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #52 on: 16 November 2013, 08:21:10 »
So its unclear they'll show the early days of the War Doctor and just goto the special with older actor playing himself in the last bits of the Time War with Matt and David running around with him?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 16 November 2013, 17:49:21 »
Its funny the Time War was so incredibly destructive that Cass wouldn't even except help to save her self from dying in the crash but exclusive enough that the war was confined to a few species. I don't think the Sontaran's were invited to play for example.

YingJanshi

• Major
Re: The Night Has Passed; the Day is Near
« Reply #54 on: 18 November 2013, 17:27:28 »
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiittttttt!!!!!!
I just had an idea. I know how they can get around the limit on regenerations!!!!

The Doctor died in the crash in "The Night of the Doctor". The Sisterhood's brew allowed him to regenerate into the War Doctor. What if it also gave him a new set of regenerations? So Matt Smith is the 11th Doctor but he is the 4th one of this set of regenerations?

Does it make sense to anyone else?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 18 November 2013, 18:13:59 »
Sure, why not?

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #56 on: 18 November 2013, 19:59:23 »
I'm going to support the idea that they've never really had a hard limit, but the limit was placed on Time Lord culture.
It stops folks from living forever.
With the Time War going, there's no Time Lord Culture, no culture, no regeneration limit.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

omega2010

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 18 November 2013, 20:35:19 »
I'm going to support the idea that they've never really had a hard limit, but the limit was placed on Time Lord culture.
It stops folks from living forever.
With the Time War going, there's no Time Lord Culture, no culture, no regeneration limit.
Moffat hasn't brought the Doctor's regeneration limit up yet but Davies included a line in Death of the Doctor (from the Sarah Jane Adventures) that he can regenerate 507 times... which is a definitely a joke since the individual numbers add up to 12....
Who is driving?  OH MY GOD!  BEAR IS DRIVING!  How can that be?

Steve - They thought they could take the caps off all the markers and let them dry out. But there was one marker they never reckoned with.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 20 November 2013, 17:37:35 »
New mini episode: "The Last Day"

This one is...intriguing...

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
Re: The Night Has Passed; the Day is Near
« Reply #59 on: 21 November 2013, 00:10:27 »
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiittttttt!!!!!!
I just had an idea. I know how they can get around the limit on regenerations!!!!

The Doctor died in the crash in "The Night of the Doctor". The Sisterhood's brew allowed him to regenerate into the War Doctor. What if it also gave him a new set of regenerations? So Matt Smith is the 11th Doctor but he is the 4th one of this set of regenerations?

Does it make sense to anyone else?

Works well with me.  Let's go with that. :)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Register