Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147490 times)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: The Day is Near
« Reply #150 on: 25 November 2013, 22:54:30 »
Susan was left in the future right? Without a Tardis of her own, so her being a regenerated Curator I think might be a little out there. And I do believe that yes they can change Genders, a Timelord named the Corsair is mentioned who has done so.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Corsair
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #151 on: 25 November 2013, 22:55:55 »
Susan was left in the future right? Without a Tardis of her own, so her being a regenerated Curator I think might be a little out there. And I do believe that yes they can change Genders, a Timelord named the Corsair is mentioned who has done so.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Corsair

Only problem with that, is that in the The Night of the Doctor. The sisters offered the Doctor change of gender.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #152 on: 25 November 2013, 23:23:56 »
True, the Sister did do that. But I think that was a option of the potion they wanted him to drink more than a regenerations normal options.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #153 on: 25 November 2013, 23:25:45 »
Got back a little while ago from the 3D showing. It was my daughter's birthday present. Totally just for her. Yep.

Holy crap that was awesome! Plus the little extras like Commander Strax discussing movie etiquette and Smith and Tennant "activating" the 3D as well as the Zygon detection system (to find the Zygons hiding in the theater of course) were a fantastic touch.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #154 on: 26 November 2013, 00:27:34 »
I just saw it one the big screen, it's was a awesome show. 3d didn't make it better.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #155 on: 26 November 2013, 03:10:14 »
I actually had a date for this one, and I don't know which was more entertaining: the show itself, or her reactions to it (she's a superfan). Definitely a recommend for anyone who (for whatever reason) hasn't watched it yet.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #156 on: 26 November 2013, 05:26:37 »
When did the 10th Doctor waste a regeneration on himself?

I do hope we get to find out more about this War Doctor at some point--like how he got to be so old.  He's only the second Doctor who has actually lived out a body (after the First).  For a "warrior", that doesn't strike me as the type who'll often put himself in harm's way, like the "normal" Doctors have often done--more a behind-the-scenes manipulator.  Just how long did he spend in the Time War then?  Did he have some experience that made him age faster?

And if he *really* wanted to be ruthless about things, he could have stopped the war before it started--by going back to the genesis of the Daleks and succeeding where the Fourth Doctor failed.  >:D  O0

So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #157 on: 26 November 2013, 05:33:41 »
When did the 10th Doctor waste a regeneration on himself?

The Stolen Earth/Journey's End - he's shot by a Dalek, begins to regenerate, weird stuff happens and his severed hand becomes a clone, and he claims he didn't want to change just yet.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #158 on: 26 November 2013, 05:45:54 »
So where does the Valeyard fit in now?
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #159 on: 26 November 2013, 07:54:01 »
I quite like the use of old footage (and a John Culshaw impression) to explain Tom Baker's absence from the Five(ish) Doctors - a nice little in-joke.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #160 on: 26 November 2013, 09:24:12 »
So where does the Valeyard fit in now?

Well, hopefully the Christmas special will address that.  If the upcoming Doctor really is the "last" one of the Doctor's (initial?) set of regenerations, then the Valeyard should come into being before Matt Smith regenerates into Peter Capaldi.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #161 on: 26 November 2013, 15:31:23 »
Well, hopefully the Christmas special will address that.  If the upcoming Doctor really is the "last" one of the Doctor's (initial?) set of regenerations, then the Valeyard should come into being before Matt Smith regenerates into Peter Capaldi.

cheers,

Gabe
According to Moffatt, Matt is the last regeneration.  Capaldi's existence requires the Doctor to break the rules somehow - presumably not in the same way the Master did.

Live Long and Prosper

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #162 on: 26 November 2013, 15:34:39 »
According to Moffatt, Matt is the last regeneration.  Capaldi's existence requires the Doctor to break the rules somehow - presumably not in the same way the Master did.

?!?!?!
Still does not fit with the "All 13!" Cue Capaldi-sequence.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #163 on: 26 November 2013, 20:30:49 »
I have a side question:  Is the Tardas unique?  Master had one obviously, but did all the Time Lord at one point have a Tardas?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #164 on: 26 November 2013, 20:55:24 »
I have a side question:  Is the Tardas unique?  Master had one obviously, but did all the Time Lord at one point have a Tardas?

Well, unique after the Time War. But yes, the Time Lords had whole fleets of TARDISes. In fact the one the Doctor stole is an early model that was scheduled to be dismantled.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #165 on: 26 November 2013, 21:17:59 »
Heck, how many TARDIS's do you know that had a malfing chameleon circuit?  ;)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #166 on: 26 November 2013, 21:44:59 »
The part of the episode when the 3 doctors were in the cellar and couldn't figure out how to get out of the unlocked door was pretty good.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #167 on: 26 November 2013, 23:23:26 »
I always figured there were a few hundred Tardis's floating about but use of them was well regulated. And I mean extremely well regulated. When the Fourth Doctor went to Gallifray at one point there was a comment that there were only two 'Probes' away from Gallifray at the time. Of course they weren't counting stolen 'probes' like the Doctors and the two the Master had.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #168 on: 27 November 2013, 01:31:14 »
The part of the episode when the 3 doctors were in the cellar and couldn't figure out how to get out of the unlocked door was pretty good.

Well, what do you expect from someone who can't distinguish between the Queen of England and a Zygon?   :D

"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #169 on: 27 November 2013, 01:33:40 »
I guess the showing of Dr Who earned over 4 million dollars and was 2nd place behind the Hunger Games at the box office.

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #170 on: 27 November 2013, 04:07:51 »
?!?!?!
Still does not fit with the "All 13!" Cue Capaldi-sequence.
1)Hartnell
2)Troughton (first regeneration)
3)Pertwee (2nd regeneration - forced by Council)
4)T.Baker (3rd regen)
5)Davison (4th - had some peculiarities, as 5th Doctor was running about before 4th died)
6)C.Baker (5th)
7)McCoy (6th)
8)McGann (7th)
9)Hurt (8th)
10)Eccleston (9th - previously believed to be the 8th regeneration and 9th Doctor)
11)Tennant (tenth and eleventh regenerations)
12)Smith (12th and final regeneration)
13)Capaldi

Tennant Mk.2 counts as a regeneration (now apparently - but not when they were making the Trenzalore prophecy).  Therefore, although there are a total of 13 different Doctors when counting Capaldi, Matt Smith is the 12th Regeneration.  Capaldi's existence is in violation of the 12 Regeneration limit rule.  A fact that will be explained (so we are promised) in the Christmas episode in a month.  Since the Doctor also goes to Trenzalore at that time, it will hopefully reconcile the "fall of the eleventh" prophecy.

Live Long and Prosper

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #171 on: 27 November 2013, 05:08:54 »
OK, I cheated and looked over the list of episodes on Wikipedia.

I think I now have an idea where the Doctor has gotten some extra regenerations from...

cheers,

Gabe

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #172 on: 27 November 2013, 05:21:03 »
1)Hartnell
2)Troughton (first regeneration)
3)Pertwee (2nd regeneration - forced by Council)
4)T.Baker (3rd regen)
5)Davison (4th - had some peculiarities, as 5th Doctor was running about before 4th died)
6)C.Baker (5th)
7)McCoy (6th)
8)McGann (7th)
9)Hurt (8th)
10)Eccleston (9th - previously believed to be the 8th regeneration and 9th Doctor)
11)Tennant (tenth and eleventh regenerations)
12)Smith (12th and final regeneration)
13)Capaldi

Tennant Mk.2 counts as a regeneration (now apparently - but not when they were making the Trenzalore prophecy).  Therefore, although there are a total of 13 different Doctors when counting Capaldi, Matt Smith is the 12th Regeneration.  Capaldi's existence is in violation of the 12 Regeneration limit rule.  A fact that will be explained (so we are promised) in the Christmas episode in a month.  Since the Doctor also goes to Trenzalore at that time, it will hopefully reconcile the "fall of the eleventh" prophecy.
Seems like a bit of effort, when they simply could have said the second Tennant did not count.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #173 on: 27 November 2013, 12:01:29 »
Here is a question, how long was Hurt a Doctor? If the time frame was short enough the Doctor could have undergone a regeneration soon again without consequences. If he drank the drink, went to Gallifray and wrote "No More" and then did everything he did in the Day of the Doctor in a short enough span of time and then regenerated after those events it might not count as a full regeneration but a short time trying out a few options. When Romana I regenerated into Romana II she did try out several bodys right after the other after all.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #174 on: 27 November 2013, 12:26:25 »
Decades, if not longer. He regenerated into a adult man, and he is old and weary when he finally shows up. His expiration is that after a natural lifespan, not of a violent death (which is an feat considering how most other doctors have regenerated).

You see his initial age in Night of the Doctor.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #175 on: 27 November 2013, 12:32:08 »
It's strongly suggested that his regeneration wore out like the first Doctor, who was upwards of 400 when he regenerated.

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #176 on: 27 November 2013, 15:40:59 »
When Romana I regenerated into Romana II she did try out several bodys right after the other after all.
That would probably be the basis for Tennant mk.1 regenerating his severed hand in his first appearance.
Seems like a bit of effort, when they simply could have said the second Tennant did not count.
Except that now, Moffatt wants it to count.  He wants Matt Smith to be the last legal regeneration.  That makes the method of his next regeneration a "BIG DEAL"tm, and may do the same for every subsequent regeneration for the entire continued existence of the show.  The Doctor is now essentially mortal.  Any serious threat could kill him, just like everyone else.

Live Long and Prosper

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #177 on: 27 November 2013, 20:59:26 »
Well, what do you expect from someone who can't distinguish between the Queen of England and a Zygon?   :D
Or a plain ol' rabbit.  :D
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #178 on: 27 November 2013, 21:02:25 »
Or a plain ol' rabbit.  :D

Too true.   ;D
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #179 on: 27 November 2013, 21:03:55 »
Speaking of which...what does happen to the Zygons?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Register