Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147491 times)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
Re: The Day is Near
« Reply #240 on: 02 December 2013, 22:17:30 »
The Room of Requirement?
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #241 on: 02 December 2013, 23:23:19 »
If I'm remembering my classic DW-lore correctly, I think the TARDIS already has a room like that. At least according to the old Target novels.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #242 on: 02 December 2013, 23:26:01 »
Are the novels and the radio programs (starring recently Tom Baker) considered canon?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #243 on: 03 December 2013, 01:06:29 »
Doctor Who doesn't exactly have a canon.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #244 on: 03 December 2013, 01:32:08 »
Not really no. The best way to think of it is to see the show as primary canon and all of the novels/radio plays/comics as the EU. (Like Star Wars.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #245 on: 03 December 2013, 02:07:46 »
Are the novels and the radio programs (starring recently Tom Baker) considered canon?

I think YingJanshi is on to something with his definition.

As for the original Target novels, well, they were mostly just printed mass trade-paperbacks of the scripts for the television episodes of the classic series. If some curious little tidbit of DW lore was mentioned or referenced in the televised series, then it was almost always likely to be mentioned or referenced in the novels produced from those episodes.

I'm not really sure about all the more recent novels -- like, predominantly those featuring the Eighth Doctor -- that were published between 1996 and 2005.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #246 on: 03 December 2013, 02:59:43 »
Not really no. The best way to think of it is to see the show as primary canon and all of the novels/radio plays/comics as the EU. (Like Star Wars.)

And even then, there's a lot of conflicting information in the TV show as well - how many times has the Doctor been on Titanic, or visited Atlantis (and it been entirely different each time).  Hell, the show never decided on when the Third Doctor's earthbound stories were set, to the point that they've made fun of it repeatedly since the return!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #247 on: 03 December 2013, 22:07:18 »
And even then, there's a lot of conflicting information in the TV show as well - how many times has the Doctor been on Titanic, or visited Atlantis..
OK, I'll bite, how many times has he been on Titanic or Atlantis?
Then again I do remember the Fourth Doctor telling another Time Lord in one Episode when he was looking at a newspaper about the sinking of the Titanic that he had nothing to do with that.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #248 on: 03 December 2013, 22:12:41 »
OK, I'll bite, how many times has he been on Titanic or Atlantis?
Then again I do remember the Fourth Doctor telling another Time Lord in one Episode when he was looking at a newspaper about the sinking of the Titanic that he had nothing to do with that.
I'm not sure, i do THINK I  remember seeing photoshopped picture of Nineth Doctor being placed on Titanic.  10th doctor simply ran into the Space version of the Titanic after the christmas special he did with the 5th Doctor.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #249 on: 03 December 2013, 22:48:10 »
Well by looking it up we get an answer. The Titanic has been visited by the Doctor exactly once.
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/RMS_Titanic

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #250 on: 04 December 2013, 02:37:02 »
There was 400 years between War Doctor and 11th doctor. So a lot could of happen in that time, the 9th Doctor could of done a lot in the amount of time since the TV show.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #251 on: 04 December 2013, 10:48:23 »
There was 400 years between War Doctor and 11th doctor. So a lot could of happen in that time, the 9th Doctor could of done a lot in the amount of time since the TV show.

Could be, but the initial impression we got when the reboot started in 2005 was that the Doctor had just regenerated--his looking himself over in the mirror and quipping "could've been worse".  Do we know for sure whether the 9th/10th Doctor had any adventures prior to that appearance?  I'm confused with the numbering now; does the War Doctor now count as the 9th, or is he a "bonus" regeneration outside of the normal sequence?

I also think we shouldn't overthink this...clearly they want the series to go on, so however they get around the regeneration limit, it's quite unlikely Peter Capaldi's Doctor will be the last one.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #252 on: 04 December 2013, 12:01:03 »
Well he still has a Valeyard phase to go through I think.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #253 on: 04 December 2013, 12:10:08 »
Well he still has a Valeyard phase to go through I think.
From what I gather, not really, no.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Valeyard

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #254 on: 04 December 2013, 22:52:37 »
From what I gather, not really, no.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Valeyard

I haven't actually seen the episode yet, but wasn't his becoming the Valeyard already prophesied in "The Name of the Doctor" ?

From what I understand, the Doctor himself won't actually become the Valeyard; the Valeyard is more like a distillation of all the dark aspects of his character, with a somewhat tenuous existence.  Perhaps he's some kind of corporealized psychic projection, like the Watcher was for the Fourth Doctor, or like that Time Lord-turned-Tibetan monk had at the end of the Third Doctor's run?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #255 on: 05 December 2013, 01:41:01 »
I haven't actually seen the episode yet, but wasn't his becoming the Valeyard already prophesied in "The Name of the Doctor" ?

Yes, yes it was, from what I recall.

From what I understand, the Doctor himself won't actually become the Valeyard; the Valeyard is more like a distillation of all the dark aspects of his character, with a somewhat tenuous existence.  Perhaps he's some kind of corporealized psychic projection, like the Watcher was for the Fourth Doctor, or like that Time Lord-turned-Tibetan monk had at the end of the Third Doctor's run?

cheers,

Gabe

Rule 1:  The Doctor lies.   The Master, more so.  :P (Only kidding.)

On a more serious note, I wonder if the Valeyard, on top of being a dark distillation, might've wanted to change the Doctor's history in order to a)avert the (potential) "destruction" of Gallifrey, or b) go ahead and destroy Gallifrey with the Moment.

(OK, tonight's not a good night to drink vodka.  :P  Still, though, before I saw the 50th anniversary episode, I actually wondered if the Valeyard might've been trying to manipulate things so that he could keep himself from destroying Gallifrey.  Course, after watching the 50th, I see that that might not have been the case, but meh.   Like I said, don't ever get me posting when I've had a wee bit too much to drink.)
« Last Edit: 05 December 2013, 01:42:44 by ClarkeMarek »
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #256 on: 08 December 2013, 09:48:08 »
What exactly is the relationship between the Moment and the Bad Wolf entity?

cheers,

Gabe

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #257 on: 08 December 2013, 12:59:47 »
Thé Moment took thé image of Bas Wolf from thé Doctor's mine, mot knowing - or caring - it was from thé future.

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #258 on: 08 December 2013, 22:08:42 »
What exactly is the relationship between the Moment and the Bad Wolf entity?

cheers,

Gabe

Well, I think that was more about including Rose in the 50th Anniversary Episode, to help celebrate the occasion.

In terms of the story, though, we know The Moment's sentience can "look" into various points of the time/space continuum. So, from the perspective of the War Doctor, The Moment/Rose hybrid was an image for "his" future. Which would facilitate the further glimpses into "his" future later -- when he meets the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #259 on: 08 December 2013, 22:25:30 »
The moment was confused by using Rose. It picked a form from his history and used that. It even says "I always get confused about that" when trying to explain it. It could have used the form from any of his companions if it had so desired. Which would have been hilarious if it brought one out that was from the first or second Doctor era and had to have people think just who that was.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #260 on: 08 December 2013, 22:39:03 »
Reading the Tardis.wiki if its to be believed.  Version of Rose the Moment picked was Bad Wolf version of her.  The War Doctor actually says this to the Tenth doctor who is visually surprised by this.

Question is why does the Moment have mind of its own, doesn't it want to be free?   I guess it helping the Doctor(s), the moment doesn't get destroyed.

FYI Becare of the link, wiki one those super-filled ad wikis.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #261 on: 10 December 2013, 23:58:17 »
While waiting for the upcoming Christmas special just thought I'd share some 50th Ann. videos with everyone.

Opening Sequences (1963-2013)

Every Episode of Doctor Who in 15 Minutes (1963-2013)

Enjoy! O0

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
Re: For the 50th
« Reply #262 on: 11 December 2013, 02:07:19 »
I've had that "Opening Sequence" video playing non-stop for the last several hours.

I can't help myself. :D

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
'Doctor Who' Christmas Special 2013 Trailer: The Time Of The Doctor
« Reply #263 on: 11 December 2013, 21:12:51 »
It's up on a couple of popular sites, now, so here's one of the links.

Granted, you can't pick up on too much beside the usual building-hype for Smith's exit, but I found it interesting that the Daleks are noting the Doctor's regeneration either beginning or in progress.

Perhaps he's attacked during his regeneration [kind like what we saw in "The Impossible Astronaut"] and this triggers some kind of strange backlash effect that gives birth to the Capaldi-Doctor? [Assuming, of course, that Moffat still isn't yanking our chains re: his confirmation earlier in the week that Smith's-Doctor is the final incarnation.]

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #264 on: 12 December 2013, 00:50:00 »
The cool part is i can watch this and remember watching quite a few of those episodes over the years.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: 'Doctor Who' Christmas Special 2013 Trailer: The Time Of The Doctor
« Reply #265 on: 12 December 2013, 07:17:20 »
All I can say is roll on
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #266 on: 12 December 2013, 10:48:13 »

The Doctor who threads have been assimilated.  Ignore all other cybernetic lifeforms who use that catchphrase.  Cybermen are superior.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #267 on: 12 December 2013, 11:46:20 »
They have been upgraded to this thread. This is the superior thread, all others are (robotic voice) "DELETED"  >:D
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #268 on: 12 December 2013, 18:41:09 »
I've had that "Opening Sequence" video playing non-stop for the last several hours.

I can't help myself. :D

I actually ended up doing that too when i was waiting for the Day of the Doctor to Come out.  I'm more convince that first 5 doctors' themes are particulary Awesome and compelling visually.  I loved it when 50th episode started with the original doctor's theme.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #269 on: 12 December 2013, 18:58:29 »
The Christmas trailers for the special are rolling out now.   Looks dramatic, I'm baffled why there all after him again.  Not part of the fan club i guess.  :D

Register