Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147487 times)

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #270 on: 12 December 2013, 22:05:48 »
The Christmas trailers for the special are rolling out now.   Looks dramatic, I'm baffled why there all after him again.  Not part of the fan club i guess.  :D

I'm thinking they might be remnants of the Alliance that tried to take down the Doctor the first time during the whole Pandorica saga.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #271 on: 12 December 2013, 22:18:53 »
Personally, i wish they had made an offical animation of the Doctor Who.  Someone made fan one that might well be real thing! 

I can't wait til the offical christmas special does comes out!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #272 on: 12 December 2013, 23:24:51 »
Okay that fan film was entirely too well done.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #273 on: 13 December 2013, 00:26:54 »
Personally, i wish they had made an offical animation of the Doctor Who.  Someone made fan one that might well be real thing! 

I can't wait til the offical christmas special does comes out!

Um...actually there have been several animated Doctor Who stories:
Real Time (6th Doctor)
Shada (8th Doctor)
The Infinite Quest (10th Doctor)
Dreamland (10th Doctor)

As well as an unofficial Doctor (well, it was produced before the series returned to the air in 2005).
Scream of the Shalka
Its actually a really good story. The Doctor is voiced by Richard E. Grant. I rather like this Doctor actually. Sad he's been tossed into the void of unofficialdom. :'(

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #274 on: 13 December 2013, 02:30:53 »
As well as an unofficial Doctor (well, it was produced before the series returned to the air in 2005).
Scream of the Shalka
Its actually a really good story. The Doctor is voiced by Richard E. Grant. I rather like this Doctor actually. Sad he's been tossed into the void of unofficialdom. :'(

It is indeed sad. But it would also be difficult to explain, now, given that Dr. Walter Simeon bears his likeness.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #275 on: 13 December 2013, 02:44:03 »
Doctor Who has a long history of recycling actors though, including two Doctors now.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #276 on: 13 December 2013, 10:05:41 »
Doctor Who has a long history of recycling actors though, including two Doctors now.

True.

But I think Simeon's a special case in this regard -- since he seems to have such a prominent place in both the events of Trenzalore and the death of the Doctor.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2013, 10:07:20 by Lore »

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #277 on: 21 December 2013, 12:29:00 »
Mind totally, completely, fully blown...shattered...  :o :o :o :o :o :o

[notworthy][notworthy][notworthy][notworthy][notworthy][notworthy]

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #278 on: 21 December 2013, 21:13:55 »
She really would've have made a great incarnation of the Doctor.

Regardless, Donna Noble was one of my all-time favourite companions.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #279 on: 22 December 2013, 05:28:04 »
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by Donna.  Catherine Tate is best known for an awful (and inexplicably popular) comedy show, so Who fans over here were up in arms when she showed up at the end of series 2.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #280 on: 22 December 2013, 10:09:22 »
IMHO she's the best companion of the new series. Certainly the most fun.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #281 on: 22 December 2013, 14:20:31 »
So, BBC America are showing a Matt Smith farewell special prior to The Time of the Doctor.  It looks to be their own production rather than a central BBC thing, no word on whether it's going to air in the UK/Ireland yet.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #282 on: 22 December 2013, 17:00:54 »
I liked Donna; certainly she was my favourtie of the companions in the amount of New Who I watched before I gave up. She was a fun character and being ful of sass and the like made for a pleasant enough change form the more 'traditional' companion.

Unfortunately, Donna had one draw back. She wasn't Blessed St. Rose of Tyler, whom sunshine shon out of the arse of. As such, her entire run consisted of a) being unfavorably compared to Rose b) playing second fiddle to rose and c) being overlooked until right at the end of the season.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #283 on: 22 December 2013, 18:22:34 »
So, BBC America are showing a Matt Smith farewell special prior to The Time of the Doctor.  It looks to be their own production rather than a central BBC thing, no word on whether it's going to air in the UK/Ireland yet.

Which annoys me somewhat.  None of the other Doctors got such a production for their farewells as far as I can find.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #284 on: 22 December 2013, 18:23:34 »
Well, it was during Matt Smith's run that the show really broke through in the US.  I can understand why they'd do it.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #285 on: 22 December 2013, 18:51:16 »
On the topic of the Doctors regenerating...did anyone else catch that little "I don't want to go" again from Tennant as he's leaving in the end of Day of the Doctor?  Talk about a heartstring puller.

Can't wait for Christmas.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #286 on: 22 December 2013, 19:23:06 »
Well, it was during Matt Smith's run that the show really broke through in the US.  I can understand why they'd do it.

I'm guessing you weren't here for the early run back in the 80's? Plenty of us did watch that you know, even if it was before Cable. I still enjoy the Tom Baker Years and consider him the best Doctor of them all.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #287 on: 22 December 2013, 19:32:49 »
I live in Ireland, but I'm fully aware of the popularity of Doctor Who on PBS in the 70s and 80s.  From what I understand, the show's gone from cult hit to minor phenomenon in the last couple of years though.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #288 on: 22 December 2013, 20:21:12 »
Quite possible but I know I watched Doctor Who on Sci Fi with Eccleston and Tennant before Smith came along.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #289 on: 22 December 2013, 20:40:15 »
Someone once told me that a persons first Doctor is usually there favorite Doctor.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #290 on: 22 December 2013, 21:04:42 »
Someone once told me that a persons first Doctor is usually there favorite Doctor.

He was certainly unique, the actor certainly put his energy into the scripts they came up for him.  Its too bad his health didn't last.  I wish the bio pic they did about him would had inspired have those actors possibly make lost episodes were missing.  I know they tried, but it wasn't in the cards.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #291 on: 22 December 2013, 21:11:30 »
On the topic of the Doctors regenerating...did anyone else catch that little "I don't want to go" again from Tennant as he's leaving in the end of Day of the Doctor?  Talk about a heartstring puller.

Yes. And Matt Smith's "He always says that" reply. O0

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #292 on: 23 December 2013, 00:29:09 »
Tom Baker.  Reruns on the Sci Fi Channel, waaaaaay the hell back in the day.  Back when there were only seven Doctors...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #293 on: 23 December 2013, 01:54:58 »

My first was, I suppose, Sylvester McCoy but my favourite is David Tennant (even if I can't stand Donna)

That my Mum got asked out by another (and said no) before either he was The Doctor or I was around is a different story...
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #294 on: 23 December 2013, 04:24:05 »
I am really hoping that Capaldi a) is a great Doctor and b) lasts more then just one season. I have heard it mentioned
that he is only signed up for one season now, and I hope that is just that Moffat is handing it off to another person,
and the contracts for more have not been signed. I just don't like the Doctor being a short run...It makes the Regenerations
seem trivial, you know?

Then again, I kind of feel like Smith's run is too short. However, I am looking forward to seeing what Capaldi's Doctor is
going to be like.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #295 on: 23 December 2013, 04:33:59 »
It's likely Capaldi's signed for one year to test the waters, and will be offered a longer contract (and pay negotiations) depending on how well his first one does.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #296 on: 23 December 2013, 05:19:52 »
The problem with Capaldi is that he is relatively well known, and as such it will be limited how long he'll stick with Dr Who I think.

I would love to have a new 7 year run as a doctor, but I think that is a thing of the past unfortunately.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #297 on: 23 December 2013, 06:26:49 »

Nah, show hit cult status here back in the Tennant era.   Matt Smaith basically picked up where David left off.

Heck, ask someone to picture Doctor who anymor, they'll either pjcture spikey haired guy in suit (the Tennant look)  or guy in long coat, wide hat and long multicolored scarf ( Tom Baker look). 
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #298 on: 23 December 2013, 08:03:54 »
I don't recall which Doctor I started with, but shortly after I started watching PBS started running all the episodes they had starting from Unearthly Child.  A couple months of Hartnell, a few weeks of Troughton, and a lot of Pertwee.  I loved Pertwee.  More so than Tom and Davison.  Hated Colin, and while I liked McCoy, I hated everything else about his era of the show - starting with JNT.
I particularly loved how the earlier shows would have to work to make up for the lack of budget.  I made for better stories in many cases.  Cheap CGI has spoiled the new show.  I enjoy it, and its frequently good.  But actors running from green screens don't emote like actors running from the Shakey's Chicken Man.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #299 on: 23 December 2013, 08:37:27 »
You know..thanks to the lead-up to the 50th, I finally got to see Hartnell. Though it was only
the Aztec Storyline, I came away....wishing for more Doctors like him, and less of the running,
 etc we see in the modern era. Too bad Moffat wouldn't be able to write that :(
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)