Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147491 times)

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #330 on: 26 December 2013, 10:45:58 »
I'm thinking this is a whole new set of Regenerations. They needed an 'Out' to do this sort of thing. But we will not really see the results of it until the next Doctor is chosen will we? :). Hopefully not for a few years at least.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #331 on: 26 December 2013, 11:43:22 »
I'm thinking this is a whole new set of Regenerations.

The Doctor does say "A whole new regeneration cycle" takes a bit of breaking in, which is why he reset to the younger version of 11 first...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #332 on: 26 December 2013, 12:59:42 »
Clara's gran did meet the Doctor before, sort of - the actress was in The Ribos Operation.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #333 on: 26 December 2013, 13:14:18 »
There is a good question, mind you.

Capaldi's first words as the Doctor, asking Oswin if she knew how to fly the TARDIS...Is that
just his brain still cooking, or does it mean that he has actually forgotten?

Over on TV tropes the theory is that 11 had been away from the TARDIS console so long that he forgot how to fly it.

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #334 on: 26 December 2013, 20:25:39 »
I did like the recall of the Pond's theme "Silence will fall when the question is asked"
 :)

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #335 on: 26 December 2013, 21:49:08 »
So, technically, The Doctor's longest "serving" companion was a robot head!  ;D

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #336 on: 26 December 2013, 22:13:16 »
So, technically, The Doctor's longest "serving" companion was a robot head!  ;D
I think K9 still stands as his longest serving self-mobile, (at least) semi-sentient companion. And his Granddaughter would be his oldest, possibly Romana since they were both Time Lords.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #337 on: 26 December 2013, 22:25:44 »
the Colin Baker Doctor indicates he is 900 years old during "The Revelation of the Daleks", which can also be ok to the above, and Sylvestor McCoy's Doctor is supposed to be 953 during "The Time and the Rani"...he also visibly aged between "Survival" and "The Doctor Who Movie", so he was likely in this body for at least 3 or 4 centuries before losing it...

Ruger

Ok, this brings up a problem, because Matt Smith's Doctor said he was 900 in the Impossible Astronaut.  So somehow he lost years.

Or Moffat just doesn't know what the word 'continuity' means
« Last Edit: 26 December 2013, 23:15:38 by Lazarus Jaguar »
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #338 on: 26 December 2013, 22:28:52 »
Ok, this brings up a problem, because Matt Smith's Doctor said he was 900 in the Impossible Astronaut.  So somehow he lost years.

Or Moffat just doesn't know what the word 'continuity means'
This isn't CONTINUITY!!!! THIS IS THE DOCTOR!!!!!! <<kicks you into the Vortex of Time>>

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #339 on: 26 December 2013, 22:36:19 »
First Doctor: died of old age at 400 to 600 or so years old
Second Doctor: forcibly regenerated by the Time Lords, likely after spending a few decades in the body, or maybe centuries...
Third Doctor: Only a few years in this body before having to regenerate
Fourth Doctor: At least a century or three in this body
Fifth Doctor: Likely only a decade or so at most in this body, due to the lack of aging of his nearly constant companions during this body's tenure...then again, there was Time Crash?!?!?!?!?
Sixth Doctor: Same issues here as in the Fifth Doctor's
Seventh Doctor: Unknown, but long enough to visibly age, so at least 350 years?
Eighth Doctor: Unknown, but again, long enough to visibly age, so at least 350 years?
War Doctor: died of old age, so 400 to 600 years old or so
Ninth Doctor: Unknown, but possibly 200 or 300 years old at regeneration?
Tenth Doctor, version A: 3 years or so
Tenth Doctor, version B: 1 year, maybe a little more
Eleventh Doctor: 600+ years old at the time of his regeneration

So, out of all of them, the 1st, War and 11th Doctors lived the longest, with possibly the 2nd and 9th, and (more likely) the 4th, 7th and 8th having spent a few centuries in these bodies, and the 3rd, 5th, 6th and 10a and 10b bodies likely having only a few years to them...

Of course, if a Time Lord can live 600 years minimum per body, that means their total normal lifespan would be 7800 years!!!

Looking at it like this, it's become easier to see how the Doctor has lost track of his actual age over all his incarnations over the years. Living centuries in each incarnation can take it's toll on the mind -- even one as expansive as a Time Lord's.

And we really still don't know the full extent of his experiences in the Time War upon his "collective" mind. We know only a little about his PTSD in the form of the Ninth Doctor. So I don't think we can discount the centuries [or, possibly, even millennia] he might have lived in different time periods throughout the Time War. Who can say what cumulative effect this may have had on his aging?
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #340 on: 26 December 2013, 23:38:29 »
And we cannot forget the Doctor lies.  Him stating his age maybe canon but it need not be the truth.

Was unimpressed by the Christmas Special, good send off for Smith (finally) and got the regeneration issue resolved for the next dozen doctors but otherwise I found it quite blah.

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #341 on: 27 December 2013, 00:16:07 »
The only complaint I have with "The Time of the Doctor" was the suddenness of Matt's Doctor regeneration.

We're all used to seeing the explosion of yellow regeneration energy from the Doctor's body -- and then seeing the Doctor's face change slowly into the new visage. That didn't happen this time around.

Though, I can understand why Moffat probably scripted the rapid change instead. Switching from Matt's youthful face to that of Capaldi's aged look might not have sat well with the DW fans who aren't all that familiar or used to seeing a young Doctor's face suddenly becoming old again -- like the Sixth's transition to the Seventh, for example, in the classic series.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #342 on: 27 December 2013, 00:24:08 »
And we cannot forget the Doctor lies.  Him stating his age maybe canon but it need not be the truth.

Was unimpressed by the Christmas Special, good send off for Smith (finally) and got the regeneration issue resolved for the next dozen doctors but otherwise I found it quite blah.
My grandmother was 39 for 58 years....

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #343 on: 27 December 2013, 00:26:48 »
We're all used to seeing the explosion of yellow regeneration energy from the Doctor's body -- and then seeing the Doctor's face change slowly into the new visage. That didn't happen this time around.
Uh...what do you think was happening at the bell tower?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #344 on: 27 December 2013, 01:21:41 »
Okay a few things:

Personally I found this one a much better story than the 50th. Maybe because it was one story, not two (or three) trying to be one.

As for the regeneration, its was actually a rather long one as has been said before. It started on the bell tower (when he blasted the Daleks), then de-aged him, before finally jumping to the new body. And yes, it is most likely just post-regeneration "teething" problems. And honestly I found the way he got his regenerations rather cheap. But whatever. At least we get more Who.

I do have one question still: How does this all square with "The End of Time"? I mean according to that, the Moment locked the Time War with Gallifrey at the heart of it (because the Time Lords were going to destroy all of creation). Then in "The Day of the Doctor" it states that the Moment blew up Gallifrey. Except it doesn't because the Doctor puts Gallifrey in a pocket universe. Sooo...did the Master pull Gallifrey out of the pocket universe? How did Rassilon send back the drumbeats to the Master if he was in another universe? Are the Time Lords still planning to destroy the universe even after the Doctor put them in the pocket universe? (Suppose not, since they did give him a new set.) I did notice that when the Doctor finds out that Gallifrey is on the other side of the crack he does make a small reference to the Time Lords and the Master.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #345 on: 27 December 2013, 01:34:01 »
Uh...what do you think was happening at the bell tower?

Just to clarify... I'm referring to the actual scene where you see the Doctor's face change -- between the current incarnation and that of the new. We didn't see that this time around. Matt's Doctor just flipped his head backwards and when he came back up, he was the Capaldi Doctor.

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #346 on: 27 December 2013, 01:40:26 »
I do have one question still: How does this all square with "The End of Time"? I mean according to that, the Moment locked the Time War with Gallifrey at the heart of it (because the Time Lords were going to destroy all of creation). Then in "The Day of the Doctor" it states that the Moment blew up Gallifrey. Except it doesn't because the Doctor puts Gallifrey in a pocket universe. Sooo...did the Master pull Gallifrey out of the pocket universe? How did Rassilon send back the drumbeats to the Master if he was in another universe? Are the Time Lords still planning to destroy the universe even after the Doctor put them in the pocket universe? (Suppose not, since they did give him a new set.) I did notice that when the Doctor finds out that Gallifrey is on the other side of the crack he does make a small reference to the Time Lords and the Master.

I don't think there's an easier answer for this. It's something Moffat obviously intends to work out in the Capaldi-era. At least according to his more recent interviews.

A lot about the fate of the Time Lords, the location of Gallifrey, and the curious status of the Daleks, now, remains to be revealed. [Re: the Daleks... I'm wondering where the 'pure' Daleks are in all of this? We've seen them several times since "Victory of the Daleks" but I'm a little disappointed that they haven't had much play from that story onwards. We seem to keep falling back to the "Time War"-era Dalek forms.]
« Last Edit: 27 December 2013, 01:44:09 by Lore »

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #347 on: 27 December 2013, 02:01:01 »
I don't think there's an easier answer for this. It's something Moffat obviously intends to work out in the Capaldi-era. At least according to his more recent interviews.

A lot about the fate of the Time Lords, the location of Gallifrey, and the curious status of the Daleks, now, remains to be revealed. [Re: the Daleks... I'm wondering where the 'pure' Daleks are in all of this? We've seen them several times since "Victory of the Daleks" but I'm a little disappointed that they haven't had much play from that story onwards. We seem to keep falling back to the "Time War"-era Dalek forms.]

Now probably completely off base here, but as far as those Daleks are concerned, it may be due to fan backlash. Personally I really loved that redesign. Wasn't sure of the colors at first, but the design itself is pretty imposing. But seem to be in the minority of the fandom.
Then again, it could be money. Those may be significantly more expensive to make.
But I do agree it would be cool to see those again.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #348 on: 27 December 2013, 05:02:55 »

I'm not, though that's probably because I've seen Tom, Peter, and Colin* regenerate.  But I understand what you're getting at.(To clarify, I've seen the face changes and the energy, but not in the yellow form.  More like a white light.  But I understand what Lore's getting at.  We're use to seeing the change blatantly.)

*OK, technically it was Sylvester regenerating into himself, but you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2013, 05:04:26 by ClarkeMarek »
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #349 on: 27 December 2013, 07:46:54 »
Well, i finally saw the new XMas special.  I noticed as the Doctor got older, his wardrobe began to look like older Doctors.  Namely when Clara showed up the 1st time in Christmas town, he looked like he was waring very wornout Doctor #3's purple outfit, though it has bit rinestones on it.  In the end when Matt was really old, he sort reminded me of Doctor #1.  As for the story goes, it was nice.  I did like #50th anniversity for the story, not necessary because any one character. (I did like David Tennent doctor, he bit more daff and pulls off better.  I'll admit i have watch much of Matt Smith's doctor since he came on to the scene.  I have to say he acting is impressive.  Xmas special did show things off his abilities as a actor.  I'm bit surprised he leaving so soo since he pretty darn young.  I guess you get restless after awhile.  Question:  Head of the Church, jabbers like she was a companion to the Doctor at one point. My Doctor's lore is bit rusty, was she #4's doctor since she was timelord and could regenerate like her?  She said she died several times before Dalerks implanted her with that mini-Darlek in her.  She dead now offically?

Is there chance River is going make another appearance or is her story arch done?  Least the doctor doesn't look too young to be married to her now.  #P
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #350 on: 27 December 2013, 09:01:38 »
Honestly? Tasha seemed awfully River-ish to both my wife and I. Her ... lets say playfulness toward the Doctor. The slap. Eleven's comment about spending a lifetime fighting the psychopath inside. And lets face it, River would totally make herself the head of a religion. ;D I've been playing with some ideas on how it would work. None of them perfect of course. Even if that's not the case, I don't think we're done with River.

Edit: And that's ignoring the fact that Tasha FLEW THE FREAKING TARDIS! And indicated that it was not the first time.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2013, 11:29:19 by Pa Weasley »

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #351 on: 27 December 2013, 09:19:57 »
I'm not, though that's probably because I've seen Tom, Peter, and Colin* regenerate.  But I understand what you're getting at.(To clarify, I've seen the face changes and the energy, but not in the yellow form.  More like a white light.  But I understand what Lore's getting at.  We're use to seeing the change blatantly.)

Yeah. Funny thing about the Doctor's regenerations in the classic series... is that the actual transformations were often a little different each time.

I think the Fourth and Fifth Doctor's changes were the best. The First and Third were kind of sudden and rapid like what we've seen with Matt's Doctor's change into the Capaldi Doctor. The Second Doctor's regeneration we didn't actually see fully. The Sixth's was something like the Fifth's change. The Seventh Doctor's change was a nod back to the old regenerations of the earlier Doctors. The Eighth Doctor seems to have started the process of the yellow-energy regeneration explosion/change. [Though I'm inclined to wonder whether this might have been a result of Karn science and the concoction the Eighth Doctor consumed to bring about his change. Mayhap it altered his biology/physiology somewhat?] And, finally, we now know the War Doctor's change was very much like that of the Eighth's, Ninth's, Tenth's, and Eleventh's. [Though, again, I'm forced to wonder why the Tenth's regeneration was so explosively damaging to the surrounding environment. Personal theory... I think the Tenth Doctor tried his utmost to hold back his regeneration until it forcibly exploded in retaliation against his attempts to delay it.]

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #352 on: 27 December 2013, 11:28:10 »
I always took the destructiveness of Ten's regeneration as being caused by him expelling the massive amount of radiation his body absorbed.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
« Reply #353 on: 27 December 2013, 11:40:26 »
Honestly? Tasha seemed awfully River-ish to both my wife and I. Her ... lets say playfulness toward the Doctor. The slap. Eleven's comment about spending a lifetime fighting the psychopath inside. And lets face it, River would totally make herself the head of a religion. ;D I've been playing with some ideas on how it would work. None of them perfect of course. Even if that's not the case, I don't think we're done with River.

Edit: And that's ignoring the fact that Tasha FLEW THE FREAKING TARDIS! And indicated that it was not the first time.
I just notch it up to the fact the Doctor's taste in romantic women tends to drift towards the Dangerous, Psychotic and Fatal Destiny inclined.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #354 on: 27 December 2013, 12:47:52 »
So...

Was anyone else slightly disappointed that with the Doctor's Cyberman head being called Handles,
that Handel's Messiah did not get used in the sound track for the episode somewhere?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #355 on: 27 December 2013, 12:51:15 »
Nah, that just made me want ice cream.  O:-)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #356 on: 27 December 2013, 13:54:36 »

Well, it can't be river since Tasha technically died and was close to being cyberzombie-Darlek.  From the dialog between the two and what Doctor told Clara, she was someone he dealt with during earlier doctor days.  I almost want to say its Romana
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #357 on: 27 December 2013, 14:02:44 »
I doubt Mother Superious is Romana... Not the way she was trying to have sexy time with him. Romana would have known he didn't like that blue drink too.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #358 on: 27 December 2013, 17:28:26 »
The second time he (apparently) ditched Clara brought a tear to my eye. "The Doctor lies," I said to myself. "What a magnificent bastard!"

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #359 on: 27 December 2013, 17:49:03 »
Hm, as far as Tasha's history with the Doctor, it's probably something like Madame Vastra and Jenny. They just showed up at Demon's Run because the Doctor called in a favor. I really wouldn't read to much in to it at the moment. It may just be the writers trying to show that the Doctor does a lot more off screen too.

And as for the regeneration style: that started because Ecceclston was releasing the energy from the Time Vortex as he was regenerating. But Davies liked the effect so much he decided to use it for the subsequent regenerations of 10 and 11 as well.

Register