Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147491 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #390 on: 29 December 2013, 21:24:44 »
Side question  did they ever explain how Romana escaped from E-Space?

Well, quick answer: She didn't.

Basically her becoming Lord President happens in the New Adventure novels (which are part of Doctor Who's EU) and therefore non-canon.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #391 on: 29 December 2013, 21:28:13 »
Clara meets the new Doctor:

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #392 on: 29 December 2013, 22:38:58 »
Side question  did they ever explain how Romana escaped from E-Space?

In terms of television show canon, no, and she supposedly remains there. Just as Ying notes above.

But Romana has reportedly returned from E-Space in both novels and comics [some with K-9, others without] -- which are often not usually considered reliable accounts of DW canon.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #393 on: 29 December 2013, 22:44:32 »
How about the other time lords we saw in the course of the series?  The ones not on Gallifrey.  The Monk and the Rani for example?  what ever became of them?
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #394 on: 30 December 2013, 07:09:24 »
They were all involved in the Time War.  The entire universe was on fire.  All of them were involved.  The Master hid at the End of the Universe - by rendering himself no longer a Time Lord.  The Doctor was on the outside when he ended the war.  So far as the entire universe - from the dawn of time to the end - knows, there are no others.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #395 on: 30 December 2013, 09:27:09 »
The episode where the TARDIS's personality is made manifest suggests some did stay outside the Time War but still met their end in other ways.

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #396 on: 30 December 2013, 17:36:38 »
Like trying to save people, and getting killed because they were Time Lords, and just as bad as the Daleks?

Live Long and Prosper

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #397 on: 30 December 2013, 18:59:49 »
Quite possible.

Any possible survivors are rare if any still exist.  To the point that two meeting is such a small chance that each individual could be certain they were the last of their race.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #398 on: 30 December 2013, 19:25:53 »
Is K-9 still allowed to be used in Doctor Who? I heard that the creator of the made a kids show in Austrialia and K-9 is considered no longer being able to be shown anymore.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #399 on: 30 December 2013, 19:53:47 »
Is K-9 still allowed to be used in Doctor Who? I heard that the creator of the made a kids show in Austrialia and K-9 is considered no longer being able to be shown anymore.

Um. well...Sarah Jane Adventures were on for how many years?

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #400 on: 30 December 2013, 20:59:35 »
Quite possible.

Any possible survivors are rare if any still exist.  To the point that two meeting is such a small chance that each individual could be certain they were the last of their race.

Well, remember, if they were still around, the Doctor would be able to "feel" them.  He couldn't feel the Master because the Master had fled to the end of the universe, and hidden his Time Lord essence away.  Unless any other rogue Time Lords did the same, or had some other way of concealing themselves, we should assume they're dead.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #401 on: 30 December 2013, 21:31:20 »
She has not undergone the training.  She didn't look into the Vortex - as the Master did when he first heard the Drums - she has not been granted the title.  Nor did she, at the time we last saw her, have any access to time travel.  Certainly, she does not have access to Gallifrey, or any of the resources thereof.
Ergo, she is not a Time Lord.  The Doctor remains alone in that regard.

The sound of drums in the Master's head wasn't a part of the previous canon.  I have mixed feelings about that addition because now it seems like the Master went (badly) rogue due to Rassilon's machinations during the Time War, when before his criminal behaviour was because he was just...inherently evil. 

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #402 on: 30 December 2013, 23:35:16 »
Well, remember, if they were still around, the Doctor would be able to "feel" them.  He couldn't feel the Master because the Master had fled to the end of the universe, and hidden his Time Lord essence away.  Unless any other rogue Time Lords did the same, or had some other way of concealing themselves, we should assume they're dead.

cheers,

Gabe

There is a bit of a problem there as well.  It was even brought up in the episode I mentioned a couple posts ago.  The Doctor got a distress beacon. from "The Corsair", another Time Lord and didn't even think anything of supposedly not feeling any other Time Lords and immediately sprung into action to save "The Corsair".

So even if he does have some sort of sense to detect others of his race it appears limited.

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #403 on: 31 December 2013, 02:44:26 »
The distress signal wasn't coming from inside his universe.

Live Long and Prosper

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #404 on: 31 December 2013, 03:41:12 »
The distress signal wasn't coming from inside his universe.

And, given how the Doctor lept into action, it seems like jumping between universes is something that it is
just assumed a TARDIS can do, as well as traveling through time. Which means that there COULD be
Time Lords hiding out in other universes...in theory.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #405 on: 31 December 2013, 06:27:56 »
Um. well...Sarah Jane Adventures were on for how many years?
2 or 3 seasons I believe as there was some 30+ episodes.

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #406 on: 31 December 2013, 14:46:09 »
just finish the time of the Doctor and day of the doctor.   A couple of things.. Doctor lies so we don't know if he was lying about being the last or he really thought that he was the last regeneration but clearly he had help from the time lords stuck in the alternate universe who pass a long the right stuff to activate his next cycle.  What left unsaid if these was another 12 generations if he was reset all the way back to the beginning.  This ending also help with the story of the silence and why the church splitter.  The reason I think doctor never let the time lord return YET.. is cause they were way to many enemies seeking the there destruction.   I would think that will be the arc of the coming doctor on how to bring the time lord back without having every species in the universe trying to destroy them.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #407 on: 31 December 2013, 17:32:20 »
just finish the time of the Doctor and day of the doctor.   A couple of things.. Doctor lies so we don't know if he was lying about being the last or he really thought that he was the last regeneration but clearly he had help from the time lords stuck in the alternate universe who pass a long the right stuff to activate his next cycle.  What left unsaid if these was another 12 generations if he was reset all the way back to the beginning.  This ending also help with the story of the silence and why the church splitter.  The reason I think doctor never let the time lord return YET.. is cause they were way to many enemies seeking the there destruction.   I would think that will be the arc of the coming doctor on how to bring the time lord back without having every species in the universe trying to destroy them.

Well...he also has to figure out how to bring back Gallifrey without the Time Lords destroying the universe. Because pre-"Day" the reason the Doctor used the moment was because Rassilon and the rest of the TL wanted to destroy the universe and become creatures of pure thought. So it's going to be interesting to see how Moffet will iron that out.

And here's an interesting question: if Gallifrey comes back...does that mean the Master will be back as well?

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #408 on: 31 December 2013, 18:59:36 »
Yes to the master question, as he also stuck with the council, not sure if he an a time lock aka repeated the same event over and over again.  or if the planet citizen are free to live a normal life just in a strange new universe

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #409 on: 31 December 2013, 20:11:28 »
And here's an interesting question: if Gallifrey comes back...does that mean the Master will be back as well?

It's hard to say. Moffat's previously said he's not really keen on the idea of bringing the Master back any time soon.

[That was back when he first became DW Showrunner in late 2010/early 2011, though.]
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #410 on: 31 December 2013, 20:40:45 »
I hope the Master comes back.  He is a much  ore intriguing villain than the usual suspects (Daleks, Cybermen....).  Though, would be fun if he came back a friend rather than enemy now that the drumbeat shoukd have stopped.

I had this idea back when he first came back.  At the end of "The Last of the Time Lords" when the Doctor wanted to take the Master with him, I thought that woukd be the most awsome pairing ever.  The Master is one of the few characters who can stand as the doctor's intellectual equal.  While many companions have had qualties or skills that made them able to lookout for themselves, they've never really been an equal.  It usually like a reacher student/ or guardian/ward kind of relationship.  But travelling with someone on his level would be a new dynamic and something I'd like to see.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #411 on: 31 December 2013, 21:45:24 »
As long as it is more like the Classic Master, not The Manic from the new series'.

Live Long and Prosper

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #412 on: 31 December 2013, 21:58:18 »
Yeah, would never work with John Sims.  He'd need to regenerate.

Edit:  know what, let's crank up the awesome.  Let's have the Doctor and the Master teamed up out to save everthing from the Valeyard
« Last Edit: 31 December 2013, 21:59:58 by Lazarus Jaguar »

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #413 on: 31 December 2013, 23:11:47 »
As long as it is more like the Classic Master, not The Manic from the new series'.

Eh. I liked that the Master of the NewWho was Professor Yana, initially, and ably portrayed by Derek Jacobi. He should have remained in the role of the Master in the new series, I think.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #414 on: 01 January 2014, 11:39:34 »
Yeah, would never work with John Sims.  He'd need to regenerate.

Edit:  know what, let's crank up the awesome.  Let's have the Doctor and the Master teamed up out to save everthing from the Valeyard
This sounds like Moriarty and Sherlock team up to take on Jack the Ripper.

As in, awesome.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #415 on: 01 January 2014, 11:45:05 »
This sounds like Moriarty and Sherlock team up to take on Jack the Ripper.

As in, awesome.

Funnily enough in the classic series, the Doctor and the Master usually ended up working together (at least during the 3rd Doctor's run). Usually because the Master's plan backfired horribly.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #416 on: 01 January 2014, 12:14:20 »
Ironically, Derek Jacobi played the Master to Richard E Grant's Doctor in Scream of the Shalka, an abortive attempt to relaunch Doctor Who via web animation a couple of years before the TV relaunch.  In that incarnation, the Master's consciousness was in an android body and was a companion of the Doctor.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #417 on: 01 January 2014, 13:34:04 »
He couldn't lie.   Truth field on trenzalore.

juest finish the time of the Doctor and day of the doctor.   A couple of things.. Doctor lies so we don't know if he was lying about being the last or he really thought that he was the last regeneration but clearly he had help from the time lords stuck in the alternate universe who pass a long the right stuff to activate his next cycle.  What left unsaid if these was another 12 generations if he was reset all the way back to the beginning.  This ending also help with the story of the silence and why the church splitter.  The reason I think doctor never let the time lord return YET.. is cause they were way to many enemies seeking the there destruction.   I would think that will be the arc of the coming doctor on how to bring the time lord back without having every species in the universe trying to destroy them.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #418 on: 01 January 2014, 20:22:43 »
I want to know where they go from this; do they continue with the return of the Time Lords or go with something new?  I am also really curious to what kind of Doctor the 12th is- I almost picture him a re-imagined 3rd for some reason.
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #419 on: 01 January 2014, 21:45:15 »
Question:  The outfit Matt Smith was wearing when he was 300 years old. Isn't that similar to the one that 3rd Doctor used to wear?  Purple one?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki