Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147484 times)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #450 on: 10 January 2014, 16:35:10 »
I have no problem with a Pertwee-esque Doctor.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #451 on: 10 January 2014, 18:53:43 »
What exactly is a pertwee?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #452 on: 10 January 2014, 18:57:36 »
The Third Doctor...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #453 on: 10 January 2014, 20:02:09 »
What exactly is a pertwee?

Akin to the Third Doctor in form, function, and attitude.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #454 on: 10 January 2014, 20:46:07 »
Okay.  I really haven't been hardcore into Doctor Who in a while.  I already remember the Third Doctor making fun of the Second, calling him a clown.  I didn't recall what he was becalled.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #455 on: 10 January 2014, 20:55:02 »
The 3rd was played by Jon Pertwee.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #456 on: 10 January 2014, 20:57:22 »
The 3rd was played by Jon Pertwee.
LOL.  I forgot what his name was, that egg on my face.  :-[

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #457 on: 10 January 2014, 21:53:39 »
I already remember the Third Doctor making fun of the Second, calling him a clown.

He was kind of jovial in the first season of his role as the Doctor. But he switched to a more aggressive and abrasive kind of Doctor during the Jo Grant/Sarah Jane companion phase of his incarnation.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #458 on: 11 January 2014, 02:29:38 »
Okay.  I really haven't been hardcore into Doctor Who in a while.  I already remember the Third Doctor making fun of the Second, calling him a clown.  I didn't recall what he was becalled.

That's from the Three Doctors. It was actually Hartnell, the first doctor calling Troughton (2) a clown and Pertwee (3) a dandy.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #459 on: 12 January 2014, 16:41:23 »
Matt Smith - The 11th Doctor brought the weird back to the character. Of the three modern Doctors, his was the most obviously alien. He had the foundations of Eccleston's "runner" and Tennant's "smart-guy" and took off to show how the alien was a part of both of those. Although I think they went too far some times with the manic five-year-old act, they did balance it nicely when he was forced to be serious. Not too mention, where Eccleston and Tennant got you to trust the Doctor (both as a companion and as a viewer), Smith's Doctor firmly proclaimed "Rule #1 - the Doctor lies." Which means that everything we knew of 9 & 10 now had to be take with a grain of salt (and brings up a lot of other fun nuances when rewatching the older episodes knowing that fact).

Matt's Doctor really brought back the zaniness that both the second Doctor and the fourth Doctor where famous for, while also showing Matt's acting chops by really getting you to believe that although this Doctor had a young body, he was a VERY old being...If nothing else, Matt did this WELL...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #460 on: 12 January 2014, 19:59:25 »
Matt's Doctor really brought back the zaniness that both the second Doctor and the fourth Doctor where famous for, while also showing Matt's acting chops by really getting you to believe that although this Doctor had a young body, he was a VERY old being...If nothing else, Matt did this WELL...

Ruger

One thing I will say that I liked was when Matt's Doctor would actually DROP the zany Mad Man with a Blue Box routine
and get deadly serious. Like he did with the alines looking for Prisoner Zero, like he did in the caves filled with the Weeping
Angels, and a few other instances. While I understand that was a Moffat thing(see Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead),
it came across much better, much more jarring and scary when Smith did it then when Tennant did it.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #461 on: 12 January 2014, 20:10:30 »
One thing I will say that I liked was when Matt's Doctor would actually DROP the zany Mad Man with a Blue Box routine
and get deadly serious. Like he did with the alines looking for Prisoner Zero, like he did in the caves filled with the Weeping
Angels, and a few other instances. While I understand that was a Moffat thing(see Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead),
it came across much better, much more jarring and scary when Smith did it then when Tennant did it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I kind of wish they would have done that a bit more often. Oh well. I think the reason it seemed to work better for Matt was because he was normally more zany, so it was more jarring. Though Tennant had his moments to: the Racnoss, The Family of Blood, Time Lord Victorious.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #462 on: 12 January 2014, 20:33:20 »
When is the new series suppose to start airing anyways?

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #463 on: 12 January 2014, 20:34:23 »
Word is the new series will air starting in August, running for a full 12 episodes.

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #464 on: 12 January 2014, 22:04:54 »
Word is the new series will air starting in August, running for a full 12 episodes.

Aye. Moffat recently confirmed that all of the episodes for Season Eight will show fully in the one year [2014], rather than being split over two years like last season.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #465 on: 12 January 2014, 22:10:33 »
Wow.  Thats a long wait. Hopefuly they'll have alot interesting things to watch in it.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #466 on: 12 January 2014, 23:35:40 »
That's from the Three Doctors. It was actually Hartnell, the first doctor calling Troughton (2) a clown and Pertwee (3) a dandy.
the 3 doctors is on Netflix on demand as the Classic Doctor Who

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #467 on: 12 January 2014, 23:47:37 »
Aye. Moffat recently confirmed that all of the episodes for Season Eight will show fully in the one year [2014], rather than being split over two years like last season.

I was so happy to hear that; those split seasons were really starting to annoy me
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #468 on: 13 January 2014, 21:28:55 »
Yeah, I know what you mean. I kind of wish they would have done that a bit more often. Oh well. I think the reason it seemed to work better for Matt was because he was normally more zany, so it was more jarring. Though Tennant had his moments to: the Racnoss, The Family of Blood, Time Lord Victorious.

Also, "No second chances. I'm that sort of man."

Or words to that effect...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #469 on: 21 January 2014, 11:19:56 »
So...anyone care to discuss the revival-era companions?  As I said up-thread, I'm catching up after a long hiatus, watching things out of order.  I'm trying to decide who was the better companion for the 11th Doctor--Amy or Clara.  I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something I like more...not about Clara herself, but about her interaction with the Doctor.  It seems more, I don't know, mature somehow.  More brother/sister, less boyfriend/girlfriend.  Have to wonder how that will change with a Doctor who is now visibly physically older.

One thing I have noticed is that the Davies-era companions were all normal women who were changed by their time with the Doctor, while the Moffat-era ones have been otherwise normal girls to whom extraordinary things had already happened, both tied to the Doctor before they had even met him.

Brief rundown of some random thoughts about them:
Donna--easily the most tragic of them, given that she'll die if she ever remembers her time with him.
Amy--the most abused, in that her entire first season was an object lesson in how dangerous traveling with the Doctor can be.  Also, a redhead who was used as breeding stock by an alien faction...where have we seen this before...?
Martha--he didn't do right by her, hung up as he was on Rose.  (Current one is always the best one, dude!)  She should've been the toughest and most kick-ass.  But, when she actually got a second chance with him, she realized she couldn't take it.  (So why and how did she end up with Mickey ?!?!?)
Clara--hmmm...more of a younger sister than girlfriend type?  Also perhaps the one with the greatest capacity for self-sacrifice, and the only one who's actually seen why the Doctor can never get too close to, or form lasting relationships with, any of his human companions.
River Song--not really a companion, but you could say she's the ultimate star-crossed lover.
Then again, I feel she's a bit like Martha, in that the Doctor doesn't quite seem capable of understanding her feelings for him or returning them (she seems to genuinely love him).

and not to forget...
Rose--the most fortunate.  She got everything she wanted, including a version of the Doctor with whom she could actually realize her feelings (in all aspects).  None of the other companions can say that.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #470 on: 21 January 2014, 11:22:53 »
Amy's probably my favourite, with Donna coming second.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #471 on: 21 January 2014, 21:55:46 »
Clara--hmmm...more of a younger sister than girlfriend type?  Also perhaps the one with the greatest capacity for self-sacrifice, and the only one who's actually seen why the Doctor can never get too close to, or form lasting relationships with, any of his human companions.

I'm interested in your take on the "why", Gyedid. I confess I never really warmed to Matt Smith and therefore missed basically all of Clara except the first (Asylum of the Daleks) and last (Night of the Doctor) appearances.

To be honest, I thought "because humans aren't his species, and because they're at best like particularly smart dogs to a Gallifreyan" was reason enough (whether intentional or not, I feel that describes the 4th Doctor's relationship with Leela exactly). I therefore saw the Tennant Doctor's enhanced interest in "dancing" as a post-traumatic stress thing, like a sole survivor
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #472 on: 21 January 2014, 22:45:50 »
To be honest, I thought "because humans aren't his species, and because they're at best like particularly smart dogs to a Gallifreyan" was reason enough (whether intentional or not, I feel that describes the 4th Doctor's relationship with Leela exactly). I therefore saw the Tennant Doctor's enhanced interest in "dancing" as a post-traumatic stress thing, like a sole survivor
Lose yourself in another culture, pretend to be anything but who you were - the Destroyer of Gallifrey and Grand Reaper of the Time Lords.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #473 on: 21 January 2014, 22:48:47 »
with a side order of technical bestiality at worst, or rishthathra (sp?) at best.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #474 on: 22 January 2014, 01:44:36 »
with a side order of technical bestiality at worst, or rishthathra (sp?) at best.
Rishathra.  For which there is an actual advertisement for in the background of one of the scenes of Independence Day.  It's over the shoulder of one of the kids complaining about uncle Dennis Quaid inside the RV.  I saw it in the theater and fell out of my chair laughing to the point that one of the employees nearly threw me out of the movie.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #475 on: 22 January 2014, 01:53:32 »
Rishathra
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rishathra

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #476 on: 23 January 2014, 10:12:14 »
I'm interested in your take on the "why", Gyedid. I confess I never really warmed to Matt Smith and therefore missed basically all of Clara except the first (Asylum of the Daleks) and last (Night of the Doctor) appearances.

Watch "The Time of the Doctor" again, from 33:30 to 35:33, and I hope you'll understand my thinking.  (And it becomes only more evident when Clara sees the Doctor again at the conclusion of the siege of Trenzalore).

I think this must be a very personal view of the Doctor's relationship with his companions (though it is true that not all of his companions were anywhere near a good fit, with Leela probably being the strongest example). But anyway, the 10th Doctor's dalliances are not the only examples of "rish" we've seen in the new series.  What about Vastra and Jenny***?  Or need I mention Captain Jack...?

***Well, the Silurians were supposed to have evolved on Earth at least...

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #477 on: 23 January 2014, 20:24:24 »
Or need I mention Captain Jack...?
Hey-o Captain Jack, take me back to the railroad track!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #478 on: 23 January 2014, 20:41:04 »
Hey-o Captain Jack, take me back to the railroad track!

So much I could say about that.... :-X
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #479 on: 27 January 2014, 18:27:43 »
So yeah, Pertwee-esque in costume at least:

Register