Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147491 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #480 on: 27 January 2014, 19:28:37 »
So yeah, Pertwee-esque in costume at least:

Official??

If so I like it. (Though I do really like the long coats 10 and then 11 were later...)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #481 on: 27 January 2014, 19:30:28 »
Official??

If so I like it. (Though I do really like the long coats 10 and then 11 were later...)

Yep, it's up on the BBC website.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #482 on: 27 January 2014, 19:56:13 »
A little more color somewhere in the costume would have been nice, unless he intends to spend a lot of time blending into dark corridors

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #483 on: 27 January 2014, 19:57:46 »
He's supposed to be more 'intense' than previous Doctor's.  Besides, that's still more colour than Ecclestone's 9th.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #484 on: 27 January 2014, 20:36:27 »
A little more color somewhere in the costume would have been nice, unless he intends to spend a lot of time blending into dark corridors

Has no less color than the 11th's second costume. (Which I really liked by the way.)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #485 on: 27 January 2014, 20:41:58 »
I'm sure he'll get another outfit or two as time goes by, like how Tennant had the brown and blue suits and Smith had the military overcoat
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #486 on: 27 January 2014, 20:43:24 »
I'm sure he'll get another outfit or two as time goes by, like how Tennant had the brown and blue suits and Smith had the military overcoat

Funny thing...the 10th's suits changed color depending on whether they were going forward or backward in time. Same thing with the 11th's bowtie.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #487 on: 28 January 2014, 03:51:33 »

I wouldn't call it Pertwee-esque--no frills & ruffles, no cape!

Speaking of costumes (yo, Øystein!!), having watched "The Day of the Doctor" a few times, I felt there was something a bit familiar about the dress of the Trenzalorians...and then it struck me, their costumes (IMO) greatly resemble Norwegian bunads (regional folk costumes).  Any others think so?
(NOTE:  this would only occur to anyone who is Norwegian, of Norwegian descent, or who had lived in Norway for a little while.)
EDIT:  in fact, Trenzalore, a wintry world with only a few minutes of daylight every day, could easily be North Norway in the dead of winter...
cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 28 January 2014, 03:53:15 by gyedid »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #488 on: 28 January 2014, 04:01:42 »
True, it does remind you somewhat about bunads :)

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #489 on: 28 January 2014, 07:03:37 »
So yeah, Pertwee-esque in costume at least:

I'd say more Hartnell or Troughton than Pertwee.  I like it though.  Between the older Doctor and this outfit, seems to have more the feel of the older Classics.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #490 on: 28 January 2014, 11:32:17 »
Official??

if that the official one why do I feel it is a call back to the 2nd doctor?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #491 on: 28 January 2014, 17:54:05 »
Besides, that's still more colour than Ecclestone's 9th.

Ecclestone only wore black because he was waiting for something darker to come along ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #492 on: 30 January 2014, 08:19:10 »
 ??? I have a question . Why have they not release in DVD the Adventure in time and space  the making of Doctor Who. I see its only in Australia. Any information. I check BBC website noting there. Funning they came out with Day of the Doctor , but not Adventure in time space .

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #493 on: 30 January 2014, 08:21:40 »
Looks like it's only been released in the UK thus far.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #494 on: 30 January 2014, 10:07:49 »
Ecclestone only wore black because he was waiting for something darker to come along ...
I saw a blue box and I want to paint it bla~a~ack...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #495 on: 30 January 2014, 20:30:17 »
You lightened the state pf homicidal rage work has me in at the moment, for which I thank you O0

(OTOH, for anyone who's read Simon Green's Nightside series, Ecclestone would make a great Alex the Bartender, and descendant of Merlin Satanspawn, no?)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #496 on: 30 January 2014, 22:41:02 »
??? I have a question . Why have they not release in DVD the Adventure in time and space  the making of Doctor Who. I see its only in Australia. Any information. I check BBC website noting there. Funning they came out with Day of the Doctor , but not Adventure in time space .

Yeah. Both Australia and the UK have already seen the release for Adventures in Time and Space. [I got my copy here in Australia about a week or so ago.]

So far as I know, the release of the DVD in the US has been held up. I haven't learnt why yet.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #497 on: 02 February 2014, 11:47:58 »
Capaldi's upcoming outfit, to me, is...meh in the picture. Need to see it move to know if I'll like it...

BTW, I know it's just a book, so the canonicity of it is questionable, but did anyone notice that the Tales of Transalore novel says that Matt Smith's Doctor was there, protecting the planet for 900 years?

Either the book's wrong, the last regeneration has an extra long cycle or we were off on what constitutes dying of old age for a regeneration...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #498 on: 02 February 2014, 14:16:46 »
Capaldi's upcoming outfit, to me, is...meh in the picture. Need to see it move to know if I'll like it...

You asked...so here it is:

BTW, I know it's just a book, so the canonicity of it is questionable, but did anyone notice that the Tales of Transalore novel says that Matt Smith's Doctor was there, protecting the planet for 900 years?

Either the book's wrong, the last regeneration has an extra long cycle or we were off on what constitutes dying of old age for a regeneration...

Ruger

I thought "The Time of the Doctor" said 300...but, could just be misremembering...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #499 on: 02 February 2014, 14:38:03 »
Looks like their busy filming Dr. Who.  Ain't Cool News has a link about them filming in London.  Associate news leak that talks about it, talks about who 1st new villian of the season is.  Not crazy, about it, but what hey. Jack the Ripper
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #500 on: 03 February 2014, 00:21:06 »

Ruger

remember he was 300 years older when he die in impossible astronaut and he didn't seem to age at all.  So if he was saving Christmas for 900 years my guess is that aging for a time lord is a very long process.   How old was the first doctor before his first regeneration?

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #501 on: 03 February 2014, 06:57:45 »
Who knows.  If you go and listen to how old the Doctor says he is over the years, he contradicts himself a lot.  Guess he lost count and makes up numbers now.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #502 on: 03 February 2014, 09:02:48 »

Agreed, this is just...enh.  I hope Capaldi stays around for a few years, so he can change up the costume a bit like Tennant and Smith did.

Ruger

I didn't think it could've been more than 500...still, it's the most time the Doctor has spent in any one place, except for the youth of his first incarnation on Gallifrey.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #503 on: 08 February 2014, 09:43:38 »
 I have watching some of the Doctor Who DVDs for the last week. The beginning and Lost in time sets. I have to admit it was very enjoyable.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #504 on: 08 February 2014, 18:12:41 »
I found Lost in Time to be fascinating.  I'd not seen any Hartnell or Troughton episodes before, and I was impressed with the production quality.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #505 on: 08 February 2014, 19:03:49 »
I found Lost in Time to be fascinating.  I'd not seen any Hartnell or Troughton episodes before, and I was impressed with the production quality.

Lost in time is..Hartnell and troughton? Or just Troughton? I have only seen the Aztec Story Arc with Hartnell,
thanks to BBC airing it as part of the Doctors Revisted, and would love to see more of Hartnell...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #506 on: 09 February 2014, 05:06:56 »
Uh, ok....looking through my DVD collection, seems I have two copies of "Snakedance".......

Um,..how much woukd one go for?.....

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #507 on: 09 February 2014, 05:21:19 »
Lost in time is..Hartnell and troughton? Or just Troughton? I have only seen the Aztec Story Arc with Hartnell,
thanks to BBC airing it as part of the Doctors Revisted, and would love to see more of Hartnell...

It's a compilation of the episodes in the BBC archives from all the serials with missing parts.  3-disk set, 1 of Hartnell episodes and 2 of Troughton. Of course, it includes The Enemy of the World and The Web Planet, which have since been completed (or in the Web Planet's case, all bar one episode was recovered which has been animated)

MrJake

• Warrant Officer

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #509 on: 09 February 2014, 18:20:54 »

You asked...so here it is:

ARGH!!!

;)

I thought "The Time of the Doctor" said 300...but, could just be misremembering...

He had been there for 300 years between the time he made Clara leave and when she showed back up the first time. There was no mention of how long it was between that visit and when she came back as he was getting ready to die...

How old was the first doctor before his first regeneration?

Well, the second Doctor told Victoria he was around 450 years old in "The Tomb of the Cybermen" (and the first Doctor was supposed to have died of old age), but we all know the Doctor lies is rule 1...

The "In the Beginning" boxed set has the first 3 serials, "An Unearthly Child", "The Daleks" and "The Edge of Destruction", and there are numerous other serials of the first Doctor's adventures available for purchase (I have the "In the Beginning" and "Lost in Time" boxed sets, as well as "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" and "The Tenth Planet" for the first Doctor myself...although I also have the novelizations of "The Daleks", "The Edge of Destruction", "The Sensorites", "The Romans", "The Space Museum", "The Time Meddler", "The Massacre" and "The Tenth Planet")...I wouldn't mind getting more myself...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who