Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147488 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #510 on: 09 February 2014, 18:39:08 »
Personally my favorites among the 1st Doctor's run are some of his "no-monsters" stories. "The Aztecs", "The Planet of Giants", "The Romans". (I honestly think "The Romans" should stand up there with "City of Death" as one of the best stories from the classic series. If you can I suggest everyone should get a copy of it on DVD. The writing is...amazing!)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #511 on: 13 February 2014, 19:53:26 »
Okay, I just wanted to hear your guy's thoughts on this:

What if Doctor Who had been American?

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #512 on: 13 February 2014, 19:55:16 »
I would not have wanted to watch any of those...  well, except War Doctor Ford.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #513 on: 13 February 2014, 20:17:48 »
Now that i see that I'm shocked they didn't actually try to make Goldblum the movie doctor
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #514 on: 13 February 2014, 20:54:19 »
It might have been interesting to see how Vincent Price might have played the 3rd Doctor. Particularly facing the Roger Delgado Master. That might have been a double-act worth seeing!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #515 on: 13 February 2014, 20:58:28 »
It might have been interesting to see how Vincent Price might have played the 3rd Doctor. Particularly facing the Roger Delgado Master. That might have been a double-act worth seeing!

Oh I second that!!! O0
(Delgado will always be the Master as far as I'm concerned. Ainley would have been good, but they forced him to play it like Delgado. And Simm...never found him menacing or scary enough. Wish Jacobi would have been allowed to play it longer.)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #516 on: 13 February 2014, 21:23:21 »
The problem I always had was some character confusion: I found this:

as too close to this:

Given Henry McGee's role as "Mr. Nastyperson" in The Goodies, I could never give Anthony Ainley a fair chance ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #517 on: 13 February 2014, 22:16:46 »
I really like the choice for the alternative American-cast Fifth Doctor.

The others are, for the most part, questionable. Although an older Ford as the War Doctor would have been something to see as well, I think.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #518 on: 14 February 2014, 00:43:26 »
John DeLancie as the Master FTW. :)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #519 on: 14 February 2014, 01:32:53 »
I could definitely get behind Bryan Cranston as the 12th Doctor now, never mind in an alternate Americanized version from the start.  Seriously.  Bryan Cranston is fantastic.

Also Harrison Ford.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #520 on: 14 February 2014, 04:53:12 »
Who related.  Sean Pertwee - Jon's lookalike son, is playing Alfred Pennyworth in Gotham PD.  (I'm unclear what the late Wayne's butler has to do with the police department though.)

On Topic: Christopher Walken is a much better choice than Colin Baker.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2014, 04:55:24 by GreenDragon »
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #521 on: 14 February 2014, 09:06:27 »
Who related.  Sean Pertwee - Jon's lookalike son, is playing Alfred Pennyworth in Gotham PD.  (I'm unclear what the late Wayne's butler has to do with the police department though.)

I've not read up on the proposed synopsis for the Gotham television series lately... but last I heard, it was supposed to be showing bits of Bruce's childhood.

Even if it doesn't, the Waynes are the "Celebrity-Elite" of Gotham. They're always going to be under the watchful eye of GCPD. Perhaps Alfred will be managing whatever "relations" the Wayne family has with the Gotham City Police.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #522 on: 14 February 2014, 09:58:11 »
we do know that the older wayne was a doctor  before he became rich.. sorry not up to date on batman lore so I Thomas wayne history is a bit vague with me.. but maybe he help the police from time to time.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #523 on: 14 February 2014, 11:07:54 »
Burgess Meredith as the crotchety old first doctor?  VINCENT PRICE as The Abominable Doctor Who?  Sweet mother of Gallifrey yes.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #524 on: 14 February 2014, 18:21:40 »
The Waynes die in the pilot.  And in the final episode of season 13 (if we age going 1 year per season) Bruce dons the cape and cowl.  What really scares me is that they are planning for 'every' Batman villain to appear in the show.  Which crime do you figure 12 year old Selina Kyle will be committing?  (Remembering she is a cat burglar and ex-prostitute.)

Live Long and Prosper

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #525 on: 14 February 2014, 20:35:02 »
John DeLancie as the Master FTW. :)

Thread won. That's it folks, everyone can go home now...

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #526 on: 14 February 2014, 21:06:47 »
Burgess Meredith as the crotchety old first doctor?  VINCENT PRICE as The Abominable Doctor Who?  Sweet mother of Gallifrey yes.
63-66 Burgess Meredith is the Doctor.  66-69 he is the Penguin.  Talk about a step down.

Live Long and Prosper

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #527 on: 15 February 2014, 03:26:39 »
Thread won. That's it folks, everyone can go home now...

What's really frightening is imagining the Master with the powers of Q.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #528 on: 15 February 2014, 04:31:45 »
What's really frightening is imagining the Master with the powers of Q.

Even more frightening:  I can actually picture DeLancie playing the role of either the Doctor or the Master.  I dunno if anybody can pull off both roles.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #529 on: 15 February 2014, 05:37:21 »
Even more frightening:  I can actually picture DeLancie playing the role of either the Doctor or the Master.  I dunno if anybody can pull off both roles.

Hmmm.

Are we talking of casting mischievous TNG-era DeLancie in "Classic Who" or an older-more-mellow DeLancie cast instead in "NuWho?"

I'd be happy with either choice, really.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2014, 05:38:58 by Lore »

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #530 on: 15 February 2014, 06:58:58 »
Hmm, if we can't have Bryan Cranston as the Doctor, maybe he can be the next Master?
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #531 on: 15 February 2014, 09:48:14 »
This is really sad. I mean it really is. He did a lot of great episodes.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/10640524/Doctor-Who-director-dies-after-escalator-fall.html

(But the manner in which he....)

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #532 on: 15 February 2014, 12:18:31 »
Hmmm.

Are we talking of casting mischievous TNG-era DeLancie in "Classic Who" or an older-more-mellow DeLancie cast instead in "NuWho?"

I'd be happy with either choice, really.

Either one will work, MHO.
This is really sad. I mean it really is. He did a lot of great episodes.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/10640524/Doctor-Who-director-dies-after-escalator-fall.html

(But the manner in which he....)

RIP.   :(
Five rounds, rapid!

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #533 on: 19 March 2014, 01:42:22 »
Hi all,

OK, I'm pretty much caught up to the current state of affairs now.  But there is something in "The Name of the Doctor" that's really bugging me.  Has to do with what seems to me is a glaring inconsistency in the 11th Doctor's character.

So, we know that the Doctor is less merciful than he was before the Time War (by the 10th Doctor's own admission), but what's getting me is the scene where the Great Intelligence and his Whisper Men attempt to blackmail the Doctor in order to gain admission to the latter's tomb (the derelict, oversized TARDIS on future Trenzalore).  The Doctor's true name needs to be spoken in order to do so, and even as the Whisper Men come quite close indeed to killing his companion and friends, he continues to hesitate and seems ready to try and negotiate with the G.I.  It's finally River Song (basically a ghost at this point) who speaks his name (Clara having forgotten what she saw in the Time War book), saving the others and allowing access to the tomb.

Something's wrong here.  This kind of self-serving, skin-saving reaction seems just totally uncharacteristic of the Doctor--this one, anyway.  Is this the same Doctor who said he would gladly sacrifice a nuclear-armed submarine, with himself still on it, to prevent World War III breaking out ("Cold War")?  If I were Clara and the Paternoster Gang, I think I would have a *great* deal less respect for--and trust of--the Doctor after this little episode.  Was he really willing to throw their lives away in order to avoid giving the G.I. what it wanted?

The only way I can rationalize this is through a "needs of the many" way of thinking, which the Doctor has shown a number of times before.  If the Doctor had some notion of what was going to happen should the G.I. gain access to his timestream, and knew that it would result in the deaths of billions (which did happen, until Clara set things right) then letting a handful of people die in order to save all those lives--even including his best friend--would be consistent with that way of seeing things.  But this is basically the same decision the War Doctor faced when he used The Moment to destroy Gallifrey, and even he later came to see (in "The Day of the Doctor") that would've been the wrong decision.***  And just as with that decision, the 11th Doctor might have been able to live with it initially, but it would end up eating away at him as time went on.  And remember, he's already allowed a companion to die once--has he ever come to terms with that?

So, whether it was the Doctor or River who spoke the name and opened the tomb was ultimately immaterial, as the outcome would've been the same.  But the fact that it was River who did it considerably diminished the character of the Doctor in my eyes--and should have in the eyes of his friends too. 

***Technically speaking, did the War Doctor ever actually destroy Gallifrey?  Or has the whole revived series up until now been predicated on a premise that was (retroactively) actually false?   

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #534 on: 19 March 2014, 02:02:50 »
He believed he trapped Gallifrey in the void between universes along with the Daleks.  Even Rassilon and the Council believed this.  And that was certainly where the bulk of the Daleks were, until the alternate Earth Cybermen and Torchwood/UNIT opened the door.
And the key here is belief.  Everything the Doctor did in his next four lives (Eccleston, Tennant 1&2, and Smith) was based on this belief.  Only now, after Trenzalore, does he know the truth.  Gallifrey Falls No More.

Live Long and Prosper

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #535 on: 19 March 2014, 10:04:52 »
GreenDragon has the right of it.

The ONLY thing I would add... is a point of emphasis that Moffat did state that the Name, Day, and Time of the Doctor episodes would comprise something of a shift in the character of the Doctor, and the way in which DW stories would be told in the future.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #536 on: 19 March 2014, 18:38:04 »
Hi all,

OK, I'm pretty much caught up to the current state of affairs now.  But there is something in "The Name of the Doctor" that's really bugging me.  Has to do with what seems to me is a glaring inconsistency in the 11th Doctor's character.

So, we know that the Doctor is less merciful than he was before the Time War (by the 10th Doctor's own admission), but what's getting me is the scene where the Great Intelligence and his Whisper Men attempt to blackmail the Doctor in order to gain admission to the latter's tomb (the derelict, oversized TARDIS on future Trenzalore).  The Doctor's true name needs to be spoken in order to do so, and even as the Whisper Men come quite close indeed to killing his companion and friends, he continues to hesitate and seems ready to try and negotiate with the G.I.  It's finally River Song (basically a ghost at this point) who speaks his name (Clara having forgotten what she saw in the Time War book), saving the others and allowing access to the tomb.

Something's wrong here.  This kind of self-serving, skin-saving reaction seems just totally uncharacteristic of the Doctor--this one, anyway.  Is this the same Doctor who said he would gladly sacrifice a nuclear-armed submarine, with himself still on it, to prevent World War III breaking out ("Cold War")?  If I were Clara and the Paternoster Gang, I think I would have a *great* deal less respect for--and trust of--the Doctor after this little episode.  Was he really willing to throw their lives away in order to avoid giving the G.I. what it wanted?

The only way I can rationalize this is through a "needs of the many" way of thinking, which the Doctor has shown a number of times before.  If the Doctor had some notion of what was going to happen should the G.I. gain access to his timestream, and knew that it would result in the deaths of billions (which did happen, until Clara set things right) then letting a handful of people die in order to save all those lives--even including his best friend--would be consistent with that way of seeing things.  But this is basically the same decision the War Doctor faced when he used The Moment to destroy Gallifrey, and even he later came to see (in "The Day of the Doctor") that would've been the wrong decision.***  And just as with that decision, the 11th Doctor might have been able to live with it initially, but it would end up eating away at him as time went on.  And remember, he's already allowed a companion to die once--has he ever come to terms with that?

So, whether it was the Doctor or River who spoke the name and opened the tomb was ultimately immaterial, as the outcome would've been the same.  But the fact that it was River who did it considerably diminished the character of the Doctor in my eyes--and should have in the eyes of his friends too. 

***Technically speaking, did the War Doctor ever actually destroy Gallifrey?  Or has the whole revived series up until now been predicated on a premise that was (retroactively) actually false?   

cheers,

Gabe

keep in mind.. the Doctor had been told that saying his name while on that planet would bring about destruction on a universal scale.

so as far as the Doctor knew, stating his true name at that time and that place would cause far more damage than what he and his companions were being threatened with. so him trying to avoid answering (since he would have to say the truth) was in character. and to be honest, with the two main combatants of the time war now free (the timelords and the Daleks), lots of destruction seems probable.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #537 on: 20 March 2014, 02:15:12 »
keep in mind.. the Doctor had been told that saying his name while on that planet would bring about destruction on a universal scale.

so as far as the Doctor knew, stating his true name at that time and that place would cause far more damage than what he and his companions were being threatened with. so him trying to avoid answering (since he would have to say the truth) was in character. and to be honest, with the two main combatants of the time war now free (the timelords and the Daleks), lots of destruction seems probable.

Yes, but was that still the case on the future Trenzalore seen in "The Name of The Doctor"?  My guess is the state of the planet in that story showed what would've happened had the Time Lords not granted the Doctor a new life cycle, the Doctor finally died of old age (or was killed by the Daleks), and the Papal Mainframe finally followed through on their threat to glass the world.

So, I think I've answered my own question about whether or not the War Doctor actually destroyed Gallifrey.  He couldn't have.  After all, the entire reason the Doctor ends up at Trenzalore in the first place is because that's where the Time Lords are trying to break through, after Gallifrey has been hidden away in "The Day of the Doctor".  If Gallifrey actually had been destroyed, there never would've been a siege of Trenzalore to start with.   

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #538 on: 20 March 2014, 04:52:21 »
Does anyone have a hard date for the new episodes to start in the US on BBC America??

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #539 on: 20 March 2014, 04:56:27 »
There isn't even a date for UK airings yet.  I believe they're talking about one full series in August instead of splitting it in two again.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan