Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147488 times)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #630 on: 15 July 2014, 16:28:45 »
Oops my bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TivqZTq5u6Y

Does anyone else think the thing in :43 looks like Omega?

Some kind of robotic knight I think.  Aren't we getting a bunch of robot episodes this time around?
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #631 on: 15 July 2014, 17:59:02 »
Cyborg wearing the Derby reminds me of Star Wars Empire Strike Back cyborg Londo had. Actor almost looks like him.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #632 on: 15 July 2014, 22:15:48 »
New trailer is up
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=q6Yh0oBoKso

T-Rex stampeding London!

What I liked in the voice-over is the implication that the Doctor has been lying about his true age for some time  :P  Or, perhaps he's finally including the years he spent as the War Doctor in the count.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #633 on: 15 July 2014, 22:20:40 »
What I liked in the voice-over is the implication that the Doctor has been lying about his true age for some time  :P  Or, perhaps he's finally including the years he spent as the War Doctor in the count.

Or it's just more proof Moffat doesn't know how to count
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #634 on: 15 July 2014, 23:15:25 »
Or maybe the 12th Doctor and Clara had a bit of a break after his regeneration; it happened before with the 11th and the Ponds with him on his own for a time
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #635 on: 16 July 2014, 00:45:38 »
Just watched "Midnight" again tonight. And I have to say, I think it's one of the best written stories in the entire 50 year history of the show. Except for a little bit at the beginning and at the end, there's no CGI. It's completely dialogue driven. I can't think of many other episodes that felt so intense. Especially at the end. And somehow, the creature in this story is one of the most scary. More so than the weeping angels. No, perhaps not exactly scary, more...disturbing. Yes, that's the word.

Anyway, what is everyone else's thoughts on this masterpiece of an episode?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #636 on: 16 July 2014, 02:03:46 »
Or it's just more proof Moffat doesn't know how to count

Or they're including the time he spent on Christmas in the count.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #637 on: 16 July 2014, 04:01:28 »
Still doesnt explain how the tenth doctor is ykunger than the seventh
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #638 on: 16 July 2014, 04:26:34 »
Who was younger than the 6th, both of whom were younger than the 3rd.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #639 on: 16 July 2014, 10:28:15 »
"Rule #1: The Doctor lies". Especially about his age. He is quite vain. He's probably quite old, even for a Time Lord. And is just trying to make himself sound younger. ;D

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #640 on: 16 July 2014, 13:21:56 »
Or maybe the 12th Doctor and Clara had a bit of a break after his regeneration; it happened before with the 11th and the Ponds with him on his own for a time

It would be before the regeneration, I think.  Such a break could've occurred in the time between "The Name of the Doctor" and "The Day of the Doctor".  It was enough for Clara to have gone from live-in nanny to primary school teacher; unknown how much time passed for the Doctor.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #641 on: 17 July 2014, 21:47:53 »
Isn't the current Doctor the 13th?  Or they not going count the War Doctor?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #642 on: 17 July 2014, 22:21:13 »

Still not going to count that incarnation.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #643 on: 18 July 2014, 00:52:21 »

Actually....technically....Capaldi is Doctor #14.

Doctor (Number of Regenerations) #1(0) Hartnell, #2(1) Troughton, #3(2) Pertwee, #4(3) Baker I, #5(4) Davison, #6(5) Baker II, #7(6) McCoy, #8(7) McGann, #9(8,) Hurt, #10(9) Eccleston, #11(10) Tennant, #12(11) Tennant 0.5, #13(12) Smith

John Hurt does count as far as regenerations go. But he put off the name of the Doctor during that incarnation (so Eccleston is still considered Doctor #9). And Tennant's regeneration in "The Stolen Earth/Journey's End" still counts, even though the Doctor shunted off the regeneration energy into his hand.

All that to say that Capaldi is the 12th Doctor, even though he is in his 14th body.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #644 on: 18 July 2014, 05:22:15 »
Wait, I why in would anyone start counting from Zero?  I thought it wasn't regenerations, it was how many total bodies he had. Hartnell was the first to be the doctor.  Zero mean you have nothing if my old calculation are right.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #645 on: 18 July 2014, 09:20:02 »
Wait, I why in would anyone start counting from Zero?  I thought it wasn't regenerations, it was how many total bodies he had. Hartnell was the first to be the doctor.  Zero mean you have nothing if my old calculation are right.

0 in this case means the number of regenerations used --- Time Lords can regenerate up to twelve times. So Troughton was the first time the Doctor regenerated, Pertwee was the second time he regenerated, ect. Smith was the last of his first cycle of regenerations, Capaldi is the first regeneration of his second cycle --- Equivelent to Hartnell in the cycle.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

YingJanshi

• Major

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #647 on: 26 July 2014, 23:47:15 »
It seems Hulu has most of the classic series. Which is cool.
Been watching the Seventh Doctor again. The last couple of seasons were amazingly good. Watching "The Happiness Patrol" now, it's quite good. It could have been quite silly, but it works. And the Candyman is very creepy!

Watched "Delta and the Bannermen" again the other day. It is very good. I've always enjoyed it. And I think Mel comes of very well in it. Never understood the dislike she got. She is worlds and worlds better than Peri ever was. Granted, the only story she had that was any good during the Sixth Doctor was "Terror of the Vervoids". But she was a good match with McCoy I think.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #648 on: 27 July 2014, 00:11:49 »
Was Mel around very long?  I seem to remember Ace being with Radagast for most of his run.

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #649 on: 27 July 2014, 03:26:33 »
IIRC Mel left at the end of his first episode, and Ace joined Doctor McCoy in the next.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #650 on: 27 July 2014, 10:23:03 »
IIRC Mel left at the end of his first episode, and Ace joined Doctor McCoy in the next.

"Dragonfire" --- Mel leaves, Ace comes in.....

Again, I wold like to recommend the Big Finish Audio adventures --- Mel comes off a lot better in most of these stories she's in, as does Colin Baker.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #651 on: 27 July 2014, 12:04:41 »

She was with him through his entire first season. "Time and the Rani". "Paradise Towers", "Delta and the Bannermen" & "Dragonfire".
I think she was pretty good in those. Especially "Delta and the Bannermen".

"Dragonfire" --- Mel leaves, Ace comes in.....

Again, I wold like to recommend the Big Finish Audio adventures --- Mel comes off a lot better in most of these stories she's in, as does Colin Baker.

Craig

I completely agree. Colin Baker really shines in the Big Finish stories. I really wish this was the Doctor we got on his TV run. I think he pairs very well with Evelyn Smythe.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #652 on: 28 July 2014, 09:34:20 »
Some interesting news:

1) http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/doctor-who-showrunner-says-peter-721153?utm_source=facebook

2) http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/doctor-who-series-8-episode-1-to-be-screened-in-cinemas-around-the-world

This just doesn't seem right to me.  Why does Doctor Who need to be built into a global brand?  Is this actually BBC policy now, or is Moffat the guiding hand behind all this, and this is a fine example of his "megalomania" ?  (And if it is him, he can't be doing it without Auntie Beeb's blessing...)

cheers,

Gabe

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #653 on: 28 July 2014, 09:54:50 »
I'd say it's the BBC. And what they should have done ages ago.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #654 on: 03 August 2014, 08:44:07 »
Looks like there's going to be some lead-up specials to the season opener...I believe there are one or two on Saturday the 16th, another on Monday the 18th at 10PM, Chris Hartwick is hosting another one at 7:30 PM before "Deep Breath" on Saturday the 23rd, and another review special at 11 PM after the premier of the other series that BBC America is starting that same night at 9 PM...

And they are asking for people to vote for their favorite episodes to run a marathon on Sunday the 24th...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #655 on: 04 August 2014, 13:48:51 »
I think this is the most that Moffat has let on yet about the character of the upcoming Doctor:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/new-doctor-who-is-loud-723079

And it seems to confirm one of my worst fears:  that we'll be looking at the Sixth Doctor and Peri all over again.  :(  :(

cheers,

Gabe

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #656 on: 04 August 2014, 14:00:35 »
I think this is a case of different "yokes for different folks".  If 12Th Doctor is cranky and rude old guy who has flavor of the older doctors, it may put some people off.  Colin Baker wasn't my favorite doctor either, then again, this is alot hear say.  I'm going wait and see before passing some kind judgement that hasn't been yet.
« Last Edit: 04 August 2014, 14:10:02 by Wrangler »

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #657 on: 04 August 2014, 14:08:12 »
one of my favorite Doctors is Sylvester McCoy.  He seldom took to fistacuff.  He let Ace handle that sort of detail but he use his mind to win the day.  He was not cranky but more fatherly.  This current doctor may be more along those vain.  The last couple of doctor seem to be guys we wouldn't mind going out with our daughters we needed to get back to the doctor who was more like father time.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #658 on: 04 August 2014, 15:48:01 »
I think this is a case of different "yokes for different folks".  If 12Th Doctor is cranky and rude old guy who has flavor of the older doctors, it may put some people off.  Colin Baker wasn't my favorite doctor either, then again, this is alot hear say.  I'm going wait and see before passing some kind judgement that hasn't been yet.

Given that this comes directly from the showrunner, I would call it more than hearsay.  I hope it's deliberate misdirection. :-S

one of my favorite Doctors is Sylvester McCoy.  He seldom took to fistacuff.  He let Ace handle that sort of detail but he use his mind to win the day.  He was not cranky but more fatherly.  This current doctor may be more along those vain.  The last couple of doctor seem to be guys we wouldn't mind going out with our daughters we needed to get back to the doctor who was more like father time.

The Sixth Doctor, at least portrayed on TV, was neither father figure nor boyfriend material.  I REALLY hope Capaldi's Doctor doesn't turn out to be like that.  As for the Seventh Doctor, well, if you like your dad to be crafty, manipulative, and deliberately put your life in danger as a means to his ends, then sure, he's fatherly. 

cheers,

Gabe

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #659 on: 10 August 2014, 08:00:35 »
Given that this comes directly from the showrunner, I would call it more than hearsay.  I hope it's deliberate misdirection. :-S

The Sixth Doctor, at least portrayed on TV, was neither father figure nor boyfriend material.  I REALLY hope Capaldi's Doctor doesn't turn out to be like that.  As for the Seventh Doctor, well, if you like your dad to be crafty, manipulative, and deliberately put your life in danger as a means to his ends, then sure, he's fatherly. 

cheers,

Gabe

I'm not sure I'd be comparing him to the Sixth Doctor. To me, all this talk is reminding me of the First Doctor more than the Sixth...which makes sense, considering that Capaldi and Hartnell (the actors) are the same age when they started as the Doctor in their respective time frames...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who