Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147488 times)

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #660 on: 10 August 2014, 22:08:34 »
But no Brigadier this time... :'(

That was a lot of fun the first time around.

Isn't the current Doctor the 13th?  Or they not going count the War Doctor?

Canonically, yes, Capaldi is the 13th Doctor. According to Moffat. And the War Doctor counts as the, 9th Doctor, I suppose. Also according to Moffat.

But who is to say whether this might change at some future point or when new writers/showrunners come into the picture.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #661 on: 11 August 2014, 18:19:05 »
Technically (according to Moffat, which makes it canon :( ) Capaldi is the 14th Doctor.  "Ten" (David Tennant) doubled up as the 11th and 12th incarnation - the regeneration scene in Journey's End apparently counts.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #662 on: 11 August 2014, 19:04:28 »
Even the Doctor counted it when he did it.  And when he told Clara he was dying.  As such I'm not sure why it is such a shock that it counts.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #663 on: 11 August 2014, 19:05:58 »
Not a shock so much, just lame.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #664 on: 11 August 2014, 19:10:16 »
I guess I should have said disappointment instead of shock then.  Personally I would have been more disappointed if it didn't count since it would have shown a greater disregard of the established rules of regeneration then what we got.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #665 on: 17 August 2014, 14:33:17 »
6 more days until the new series!!!!! I'm excited and yet rather scared. After the rubbish that was the previous series I'm not sure what to expect. I know Capaldi will be brilliant. But not sure about the story writing...

And this sums up all of my grievances quite nicely:

http://richardhcooper.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-steven-moffat-ruined-doctor-who.html
http://richardhcooper.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/steven-and-women-or-how-steven-moffat.html

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #666 on: 17 August 2014, 21:23:09 »
So it seems Coleman *may* be leaving at the 2014 Christmas special.

Not sure how to feel about that, yet. I suppose we'll learn more once the series starts, and I'll be able to decide whether the end of her adventures with the new Doctor, will be either positive or negative.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #667 on: 17 August 2014, 21:29:03 »
So it seems Coleman *may* be leaving at the 2014 Christmas special.

You know, I popped in when read that Coleman was leaving.  For second I though you were writing about Loren Coleman!  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #668 on: 17 August 2014, 21:32:06 »
That's sad that Coleman is leaving, but I don't think her character clicks with new Doctor.  It just doesn't seem from what little I've seen of the together that they have chemistry.  It properly better start new again, he ain't her Doctor who she was drawn to in first place.

This Doctor seems to be more like a Batman doesn't want a Robin for a while.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #669 on: 17 August 2014, 22:11:55 »
I'm thinking that, maybe, with what Moffat and the other writers have been saying about Capaldi's Doctor being more "alien" and "less human friendly," along with him not being so "lovable" with the young lady companions, that we might actually, and finally, being seeing an older, more mature travelling female companion.

I really hope so. Another Donna Noble-age-level companion would be kind of neat.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #670 on: 17 August 2014, 22:29:24 »
I'm thinking that, maybe, with what Moffat and the other writers have been saying about Capaldi's Doctor being more "alien" and "less human friendly," along with him not being so "lovable" with the young lady companions, that we might actually, and finally, being seeing an older, more mature travelling female companion.

I really hope so. Another Donna Noble-age-level companion would be kind of neat.

Oh I totally agree with you. But I have a feeling it'll be awhile before we get another fully developed female character. (Neither Amy, nor River, nor Clara were it.)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #671 on: 17 August 2014, 23:33:03 »
I would hate to see Jenna leave. But it's the cycle with Dr. Who and I guess it's the same for the companions. But it's what keeps show going after 50 years.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #672 on: 18 August 2014, 03:22:23 »
I'd heard rumors that she and Capaldi were both only doing one series, and leaving (possibly with Moffatt) after 13 episodes.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #673 on: 18 August 2014, 06:41:40 »
That be funny if they managed get Donna Noble back to knock some sense back into him.  You need strong character, then again maybe they'll bring Captain Jack back.   

I hadn't realized it, i just saw Guardians of the Galaxy, I didn't realize former Dr. Who companion Karen Gillan aka Amy Pond was in the movie.  That now explains to me why she had ware a wig when she did her cameo in Moffats last episode!

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #674 on: 18 August 2014, 09:06:29 »
I'd heard rumors that she and Capaldi were both only doing one series, and leaving (possibly with Moffatt) after 13 episodes.

Aye. Apparently, Capaldi has yet to sign anything beyond the Christmas Special.

But, then, neither Moffat nor the BBC have released any info about finding "the next Doctor,"... and considering the hype surrounding the selection of Capaldi in the first place, I would assume this means he intends to stay on into the Ninth Season.

You need strong character, then again maybe they'll bring Captain Jack back.

Jack needs more screen time. Especially after the frustration that was Miracle Day.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #675 on: 18 August 2014, 15:39:04 »
Looks like a website announced episodes names of the upcoming season of Dr. Who!  Here

Interesting development.  Don't look if you want it spoilers of sorts.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #676 on: 23 August 2014, 15:03:11 »
So...it seems the new Doctor's title sequence may look something like this: http://youtu.be/oXOBHnWiinY
That video's creator made it as a sort of portfolio piece. But it seems to have come to the attention of Moffet, who was so impressed he hired the guy to help design the official sequence.
http://youtu.be/HuINCfDNwik

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #677 on: 23 August 2014, 15:03:30 »
So...everyone going to be watching tonight? ;D

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #678 on: 23 August 2014, 15:17:39 »
It just finished airing, i really enjoyed it.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #679 on: 23 August 2014, 15:40:24 »
It just finished airing, i really enjoyed it.

As did I such a good and different Doctor exactly what it needed!  Someone wild and crazy but not in the way that Tennant or Smith were.  The accent jokes were awesome.

Favourite line "I'm Scottish.... oooo I can complain" or "Everyone sounds so... English" lol as a Scot it was a nod to the change.

I liked Jenna Coleman as well as the torn companion not having a clue who this new edgy Doctor was and the ending really capped it off.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #680 on: 23 August 2014, 16:48:45 »
I thought the episode was rather weak, but I'm already liking the new Doctor - I thought the bit where he poured himself a glass of whiskey and reflected that he's probably going to have to kill someone, whilst totally sounding like he could and would do it, was a great character establishing moment.  Also, Clara is still one of my favourite companions and I liked what they did with her being conflicted over the new, older man she's suddenly found herself tied to.

Oh, and Maria Gomez at the end...  Apparently she's the "Gatekeeper of the Netherspace" or some such rot, but I'm putting money on her being the new Master - or should that now be the Mistress?  She did introduce herself as Missy after all...

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #681 on: 23 August 2014, 17:35:38 »
Cant wait. This Dr12 looks a lot like Dr. House.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #682 on: 23 August 2014, 19:22:23 »
Not sure about the music, but otherwise, I love the opening sequence...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #683 on: 23 August 2014, 20:52:24 »
Just under ten hours to go, here.

My anticipation for this series has been building since the first brief glimpse of Capaldi's crossed brows and eyes from The Day of the Doctor anniversary special.

This evening I'll be in complete lockdown. No family, no friends, no phones, no tablets, no books, etc... Just me and the Doctor. ;D

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #684 on: 23 August 2014, 20:56:36 »
Nice cameo...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #685 on: 23 August 2014, 22:22:21 »
I liked it; this new Doctor seems a mix of the 3rd and 6th but still unique. The cameo at the end was nice and did not seem like a cheat. It seems to me that we are doing something similar to how the 11th started out with a major plot point in the background which is mysterious.
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #686 on: 24 August 2014, 00:27:40 »
So got to watch it. Was pretty good. Stronger I think than either Tennant's or Smith's first episode (storywise I mean).
I do wonder if they are going to make more out of the clockwork robots in the future?
The writing was good, not a great episode by any stretch; but a good one. But. The new Doctor...

Capaldi is BRILLIANT!!!
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]He is amazing!! So much range. I believe he may even eclipse Exxleston, Tennat & Smith as the best Doctor of the revived Who. Can't wait to see more![/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%][rant]And on a slightly different topic, there has been a trend I've been noticing lately. And it's starting to disturb me a bit. Doctor Who is starting to get violent. I know it always has. Even the classic era had quite a high body count in most stories. But this is different. It feels to me like the show has gotten to the point where it feels like it is starting to glorify violence. Which, to me, goes completely against the ideals of the Doctor and the show. Whereas, in the classic series the Doctor rarely descended to that level. He abhorred violence. Would seek out any other to end things. But the revived series seems to be letting the Doctor take things quicker. He may not get his hands dirty, but lets his companions do it for him. (Even Davros sees that in "The Stolen Earth/Journey's End"). Of course you could say it is because of the Time War. But that feels like a bit of a cop-out to me.[/size]

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, making too much of nothing. But I'll give an example: Madame Vastra and Jenny. They're cool characters and an interesting pair. But...they've become the Doctor's go-to army. His soldiers if you will. Anytime he needs some fighting done, he calls on them. To me...that somehow feels unDoctorish. (Of course that could just be Moffet's unability to write good female characters. He seems to think that giving a woman a gun or sword or whatever weapon makes her a strong admirable character.)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #687 on: 24 August 2014, 09:51:30 »
As an episode to establish the new Doctor and how he is different I didn't expect a great episode off the bat and as such I will agree it was an "okay" episode that accomplished it's goal nicely.

I do look forward to Capaldi's Doctor.

As for the violent aspect that has been there since the revival really and there certainly have been episodes in the classic series where the Doctor has done some pretty terrible things.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #688 on: 24 August 2014, 10:29:01 »
Yeah, I know. And you could say the 7th Doctor was like that. But I don't know, this still feels different. Before it was almost always a last resort. Now it almost feels like the Doctor secretly revels in it while trying to keep the moral high ground by not getting his directly dirty.
Perhaps it's a move to reach out to the popular audience. Trying to make the show more mainstream?

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #689 on: 24 August 2014, 10:31:47 »
Okay, I have another separate question for all of you: do you think the leaked scripts were purposely leaked? To drum up interest and excitement for the new series? Because the BBC have shown that they are very good at keeping secrets. I don't know. Could be wrong. But then again, I did rather think the same thing when those Matt Smith episodes were leaked as well...

Register