Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147501 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #870 on: 20 October 2014, 03:04:38 »

Edit 2: Actually, I think I'm going to change my mind...it wasn't that the Doctor was upset he was changing Clara...I think it was more that she didn't recognize the changes herself, and that he's still questioning whether or not he's a "good man"...His statement that she was an extraordinary Doctor, but that this isn't necessarily "good" shows that this is still the case...

And I cannot wait to find out exactly what is up with Missy...

I'm telling you, Missy is Clara--an up-powered, embittered future version of her.  I think it's becoming clear that Clara is being set up for something greater; she's more than the Doctor's companion now, she's almost like his protegee.  But why would the Doctor need a protege now that he has a new lease on life...? 

As for when the big reveal behind Missy will happen, I'm guessing we'll have to wait until the Christmas special to find out.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #871 on: 20 October 2014, 10:02:11 »
Because the Doctor can't possibly know how many times he can regenerate now for sure.  He may suspect he has another normal set and finding out would require some rather extreme testing.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #872 on: 20 October 2014, 10:12:59 »
I can't believe that the season is almost over already.  But Sherlock is coming to BBCA the same night as the finale.  I hope that means the new season, and that we don't have to wait for next spring to watch the new episodes on PBS/Masterpiece Mystery.  Because the cliffhanger ending was almost as interesting as figuring out how Holmes survived that fall.

You'll have to wait longer than that. We're not getting a full season of Sherlock till 2016. They're doing a Christmas Special based on "The Ble Carbuncle" in 2015, but that's it.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #873 on: 22 October 2014, 07:02:00 »
Saw "Flatline" last night.  Interesting new monster, but like so many Moffat monsters, really only good as a one-off (yes I know Moffat wasn't the author of this episode). Was disappointed there were no outright references to the story "Flatland". 

Were the guest actors actually using real Bristol accents?

And it seems Roosterboy is vindicated-- Clara is once again a plot device, a pawn deliberately set in the game by Missy. And there's a big hint as to who is behind Missy--in the scene where we see her looking at Clara on the tablet, what does that hole in the wall behind her left shoulder look like...?  Regardless, I still think Clara is being groomed for something larger.

And it's clear some scenes with the Doctor alone in the shrinking TARDIS were re-shot or added later--anyone notice what happens to his hair?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #874 on: 22 October 2014, 17:23:51 »
Given that TV shows, like movies, are rarely shot by consecutive scenes, it's entirely possible that the Bristol scenes were shot either separately from, or at the same time, as the Doctor-only scenes. And that Continuity screwed up over the hair.

What, BBC making a continuity error? Never ...  ::)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #875 on: 25 October 2014, 09:27:02 »
Finally got a chance to watch Flatline last night.  Despite this being a Clara-centric episode, and me not being much of a fan of the character, I really enjoyed the episode.  I almost found it anti-climactic when the Doctor finally got out of the Tardis and banshed the bad guys back to their own dimention.
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #876 on: 25 October 2014, 10:44:00 »
Finally got a chance to watch Flatline last night.  Despite this being a Clara-centric episode, and me not being much of a fan of the character, I really enjoyed the episode.  I almost found it anti-climactic when the Doctor finally got out of the Tardis and banshed the bad guys back to their own dimention.

And I thought that was the best speech of the Doctor's so far...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #877 on: 25 October 2014, 10:48:24 »
Not a bad one, certainly. I guess after Clara carried the show up to that point, I was expeting her to actually save the day.   But maybe the writers felt it was just too soon for that? 
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #878 on: 25 October 2014, 21:06:00 »
"In the Forest of the Night"...fun little romp...but I think the promo for part one of the season finale outshone it...

Still loved the interaction between Clara, Danny and the Doctor...and I think this is almost the most people we have seen at one time on the TARDIS...well, maybe when they were towing Earth home they had about the same numbers...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #879 on: 25 October 2014, 23:01:26 »
It will be interesting to see how Missy and Clara play out here in the next two episodes but it does make me wonder who the next companion is going to be after Clara.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #880 on: 26 October 2014, 02:13:48 »
It will be interesting to see how Missy and Clara play out here in the next two episodes but it does make me wonder who the next companion is going to be after Clara.

I definately hope we have Capaldi for a while, though...Because, when he is let to be the Doctor, he is awesome.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #881 on: 26 October 2014, 09:04:54 »

It pretty much paralleled the one #11 gave the Atraxi at the climax of "The Eleventh Hour".
It's like the Doctor has finally remembered who he is and what Earth means to him.

And the name he gave the creatures...the "Boneless"...suits them well of course, but like I said above, another one-trick pony.  Is the name some oblique reference to the style of the notorious Viking, Ivar?

cheers,

Gabe

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #882 on: 26 October 2014, 20:46:25 »
I definately hope we have Capaldi for a while, though...Because, when he is let to be the Doctor, he is awesome.

Agreed...he needs to stay for a long while...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #883 on: 26 October 2014, 20:58:00 »
I like Capaldi as the Dr. It's just the shows are missing something to me.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #884 on: 26 October 2014, 22:40:47 »
Agreed...he needs to stay for a long while...

Ruger

He'll be back for at least one more season. 

All told, a good choice; just because the Doctor has a new life cycle, doesn't mean he should just cavalierly throw away his regenerations (like the Master seems to have done)--especially when nobody (not even him) knows just how many he has.
And Capaldi has waited his whole career to portray the Doctor--why not stick around for the standard 3 seasons?  If he's still healthy and his interest hasn't waned there's no reason he shouldn't.

cheers,

Gabe

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #885 on: 27 October 2014, 02:59:52 »
He'll be back for at least one more season. 

All told, a good choice; just because the Doctor has a new life cycle, doesn't mean he should just cavalierly throw away his regenerations (like the Master seems to have done)--especially when nobody (not even him) knows just how many he has.
And Capaldi has waited his whole career to portray the Doctor--why not stick around for the standard 3 seasons?  If he's still healthy and his interest hasn't waned there's no reason he shouldn't.

cheers,

Gabe

I really want Capaldi's run to be like Hartnell's run...you know: go until he literally cannot do it anymore.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #886 on: 27 October 2014, 07:59:30 »
I really want Capaldi's run to be like Hartnell's run...you know: go until he literally cannot do it anymore.

Well, Capaldi does at least seem to be in considerably better health than Hartnell was when he started, so who knows?  Then again, I'm sure he doesn't want to spend the rest of his career as the Doctor.

cheers,

Gabe

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #887 on: 27 October 2014, 08:29:58 »
He's also the Cardinal on the Musketeers.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #888 on: 27 October 2014, 09:04:35 »
He's also the Cardinal on the Musketeers.
I was half expecting episode where they were going to do silly cameo or nod to his presence in the other show.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #889 on: 27 October 2014, 09:47:44 »
1 week to go until we find out...but has this person already cracked the mystery of Missy?

http://inky-paw.tumblr.com/post/100991645541/who-is-missy-general-musings-on-the-plot-lots-of

EDIT:  and haven't I been saying nearly the same thing since shortly after the season began?  :P  ;)

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 27 October 2014, 10:44:48 by gyedid »

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #890 on: 27 October 2014, 22:31:41 »
Caught up again and finally a couple episodes I rather enjoyed.  Good to see Capaldi getting material to work with even in Claracentric episodes.  Shame the season is ending, but at least this Missy nonsense will be dealt with and it looks like the last of Clara, which is now a good thing in my book.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #891 on: 29 October 2014, 01:48:41 »
Caught up again and finally a couple episodes I rather enjoyed.  Good to see Capaldi getting material to work with even in Claracentric episodes.  Shame the season is ending, but at least this Missy nonsense will be dealt with and it looks like the last of Clara, which is now a good thing in my book.

Whether you think it's a good thing or not, the burning question is what kind of exit is it going to be for Clara?  Will she die a tragic, violent death like Adric?  Leave on good terms after having been put through the wringer and want a quiet normal life?
Or are we in for something else entirely, once we find out the truth behind both Missy and Clara--especially the now rather strong implication that Clara is not, and never was, what she appeared to be. What I think we can expect is that SOMETHING happens that finally makes Clara turn against the Doctor.  Most of this season, she's been pretty much a Doctor-in-training.  And it was suggested back in "Deep Breath" that she has some not-so-endearing personality traits--she's egotistical and controlling.  Put all those together, and maybe the apprentice thinks it's time to take over from the master...especially if said master can't be relied upon to consistently do the right thing.

Somehow I'm getting a kind of "Revenge of the Sith" vibe from all this...as in the Great Intelligence, split up throughout time, and with knowledge of all of the Doctor's timeline, engineered Clara's conception with the intent of turning her into a weapon against the Doctor, much like Palpatine/Darth Sidious engineered the conception of Anakin Skywalker. 

Or, alternatively, to make reference to a certain surreal early '90s TV series...Clara is Agent Cooper, and the GI is "Bob".  Clara didn't come out of the Doctor's timeline the same as she was when she went in.

EDIT:  Oh, by the way, the Cybermen are back.  Hopefully Moffat handles them better than Neil Gaiman did in "Nightmare In Silver".

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 29 October 2014, 04:29:15 by gyedid »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #892 on: 29 October 2014, 06:54:16 »
EDIT:  Oh, by the way, the Cybermen are back.  Hopefully Moffat handles them better than Neil Gaiman did in "Nightmare In Silver".

cheers,

Gabe

Well, we can hope we don't get another talking head Cyberman as the next temporary companion.  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #893 on: 29 October 2014, 07:25:46 »
Well, we can hope we don't get another talking head Cyberman as the next temporary companion.  ;D

I kind of liked Handles actually  :P  ;).  He filled much the same role as K-9.  Too bad we never saw where and how #11 picked him up.

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #894 on: 29 October 2014, 12:13:35 »
Uh-oh...

So we know the title of the upcoming episode is "Dark Water".

I've been going around various Who-oriented online forums reading comments on that title...given Moffat's propensity for word games and clues, I really, REALLY hope this isn't telegraphing the identity of Missy--obvious who it would be with that title.  That would be just all kinds of bad.

It would actually be refreshing if Missy turns out to be a genuinely new villain.

cheers,

Gabe

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #895 on: 29 October 2014, 22:48:03 »
If it's who I think it is....

What happened, how did she get corrupted, and how did she manipulate things from inside a computer?

(Yes, I saw a theory that said that Missy's identity was her.  Doesn't mean it is her, mind you, but if it really is......  :o )
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #896 on: 29 October 2014, 23:31:55 »
If it's who I think it is....

What happened, how did she get corrupted, and how did she manipulate things from inside a computer?

(Yes, I saw a theory that said that Missy's identity was her.  Doesn't mean it is her, mind you, but if it really is......  :o )

Well, you can go back a bit further than that...if it is HER...

How was she able to project herself outside of The Library computer in "The Name of the Doctor" without a physical body in the first place?  (Everyone else at that meeting had one...) And how was she able to maintain a psychic link with Clara?

As for her motivation...well, if your time-travelling husband left what was basically your soul locked up inside a computer on an abandoned library planet infested with dust-sized carnivorous shadow creatures and never came back even to check up on you, wouldn't you be just a bit pissed?

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #897 on: 30 October 2014, 11:22:55 »
From cultbox.co.uk, this is one of the most amusing hypotheses on the identity of Missy I've seen yet...

One commenter suggested Missy is Death personified – the Doctor’s everlasting companion – but our favourite has to be a bitter, jilted TARDIS… the one which didn’t get stolen from Gallifrey by the Doctor due to Clara’s intervention and has been hunting him for two thousand years. Brilliant!

cheers,

Gabe

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #898 on: 01 November 2014, 16:06:46 »
Dark Water just finished airing on BBC 1.  I am quite satisfied with Missy's true identity.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #899 on: 01 November 2014, 16:24:49 »
I haven't seen it, but I heard something about it.  I'm still going to watch the episode, though it'll be tomorrow afternoon after I DVR it.  This is going to be a blast.  }:) :)

(And no, I'm not revealing it. :)  Even if she wasn't who I thought she was.  ;) )
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Register