Author Topic: DISBANDED  (Read 6975 times)

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
DISBANDED
« on: 31 January 2011, 02:45:15 »
This unit has been disbanded and this post may be deleted.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2011, 21:52:08 by OverKill »
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

snakespinner

• Captain
Re: Carter's Marauders
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2011, 03:02:50 »
Good write up to start the unit.
Trust the Kell Hounds, down to their last Trillion Krona and shafting their mechwarriors.
Are you running this in a campaign, with after action reports.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2011, 03:22:11 »
Hey Snake, thanks, I was editing the post when you commented but I only did some medium tweaking and added the roster/organizational structure to the unit.

Yes, this is my personal unit which I let my gaming friends take shots at every once in awhile. I will start posting AARs now that the forums are back up etc.
Colonel Mason Grimm

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2011, 10:46:18 »
Nice looking unit.  The logo does the Marauder proud.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2011, 04:31:15 »
Got bored tonight so threw myself together a new unit symbol, patch and creed LOL. Hey, I'm amazed I even got the spelling right at 0430.
Colonel Mason Grimm

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2011, 03:01:44 »
A good start at that hour of the morning.
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2011, 00:42:22 »
AFTER ACTION REPORT - February 9th, 2011

Colonel Michael "OverKill" Carter's Marauder (playing as a 3R because of the story tellers time line) teamed up with another independent mercenary (piloting a custom Tech 1 mech of 55 tons) and fought against a Steiner Archer and Rifleman. The objective for the Steiner mechs was the destruction of our dropship (100 hp for ease sake) and our objective was the destruction of a command center (100 hp for ease sake) OR the complete destruction of the opposing team.

Carter's Marauder moved into position and hunkered down in level 2 water and engaged the rifleman at range with PPCs and the AC/5. This was done to prevent the Rifleman from gaining a flank position on the Custom mech while it engaged the Archer.

Team mate engaged the Archer on the other end of a custom 3D map.

Carter's Marauder suffered damage to the head (8 points - lucky shot with a Large Laser. Pilot remained conscious), to the right torso (13 points LG Laser and an AC/5), to the left torso (8 points from a Large Laser) and to the left leg (8 points from a Large laser). Being in level 2 water allowed the Marauder almost continuous fire of the 2x PPC and the AC/5 being the Mad 3R has 16 heatsinks (with 4 in the legs that gave me more than enough heat management). I had to stagger every other round to let the 1 point from the AC/5 dissipate.  Since I wasn't moving no heat was generated from movement.

The Steiner Rifleman suffered destruction after the left arm was blown off and then multiple points of contact on the torso causing internal critical damage eventually causing two gyro hits on the Rifleman and an explosion of AC/5 ammo (which the player had spread out to minimize damage loss). After the second gyro critical down went the Rifleman and it stayed down.

The custom mech engaged the Steiner Archer at range and took a massive pounding. They actually traded volley after volley with the Archer sending flights of LRMs and the custom mech sending return volley of large lasers. The custom charged the archer at one point in time attempting to get under the LRM minimum range and it became a back-peddle running battle with the archer trying to keep the faster smaller mech at minimum LRM range.

After the neutralization of the Rifleman Carter's MAD-3R turned it's attention to the Archer and again, while remaining in LVL 2 water, engaged the archer from near maximum range in tandem with the custom mech team mate.

Between the Custom (nicknamed a Hypogriffon) and the MAD-3R so much damage was done to the Archer that the pilot finally surrendered or would have faced immediate death and destruction upon the completion of the next round as the Marauder was moving into closer range and would have engaged with a much higher hit ratio.

Salvage rights for the Rifleman go to Michael "OverKill" Carter and the "kill" credit for the Archer also goes to Michael while the actual salvage for that machine goes to Derek "Mini Me" Mallett.

Michael "OverKill" Carter scores 2 kills for this match

Sometime during the next week I will roll (using the mechwarrior skills etc) to see if I can repair my own mech with salvage from the Rifleman (whatever is left on it).
Colonel Mason Grimm

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2011, 10:56:19 »
Nice to start off with a win. 

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2011, 01:33:28 »
Good win. Do you have the stats for the custom mech.
Growing up is optional.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2011, 01:58:20 »
No but I can get them and post them.
Colonel Mason Grimm

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2011, 12:47:45 »
Guys, before sending this logo off (see beside my name) I'm trying to decide if red with white ring (and black lettering) or red with black ring (white lettering) is good.

Whatcha think would look best on darker colored mechs? I gotta decide before I place my order to FPG.
Colonel Mason Grimm

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2011, 15:54:36 »
Personally, I think the white ring would do better on dark mechs. It would make a better contrast to show off the logo. There would be a clear difference between paint and logo.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2011, 19:04:19 »
White seems more like having a Bullseye painted on your mech.
But it really comes down to what colours you really like. Remember your the Boss. ;)
Growing up is optional.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2011, 20:03:13 »
I like em both which is why I was asking :)
Colonel Mason Grimm

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2011, 20:27:33 »
Oh well if you want commitment go with the white on black. ;)
Growing up is optional.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 13 February 2011, 01:22:37 »

That is what it looks like with the black instead of the white.
Colonel Mason Grimm

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 14 February 2011, 01:46:58 »
Not bad. I prefer the black.
Growing up is optional.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2011, 17:51:31 »
 O0

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #18 on: 15 February 2011, 17:54:43 »
Nice logo. 

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 23 February 2011, 19:03:13 »
My partner mech had 10 tons of armor.

Tonnage is 50

Weapons:
Large Laser
2x Medium Laser

Movement was: 6/9/0

Heatsinks: 13
Colonel Mason Grimm

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 25 February 2011, 01:35:14 »
A fast 50 tonner, well armoured, interesting to play.
Growing up is optional.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 25 February 2011, 02:04:47 »
Yeah last night we had a 2 on 2 game

Marauder MAD-3R
Friend's Custom Mech

Vs.

Crusader (Standard Variant)
HypoGriffin (That 50 tonner mentioned)

That 50tonner is hard to pin down. Always a penalty against the run and he's fast enough to flank and work on the rear armor of a mech. Was a very interesting game but due to time constraints our opponents decided it was a draw.
Colonel Mason Grimm

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 17 March 2011, 03:32:38 »
AFTER ACTION REPORT - March 16th, 2011

Yes, I am aware that is a MAD IIC. My MAD-5R chassis hasn't come from IWM yet.
Yes, I know those are Ghost Bear Alpha Galaxy colors but that is for later in the story line!

Contractor: House Steiner
Contract Pay: 40,000 House Bills
Bonus: 20,000 House Bills for destruction of the HPG array
Bonus: 100% Salvage Rights for enemy mechs and equipment

We were sent to a planet known to hold some unspecified plans that Steiner wanted to acquire from Comstar. The objective was to (within 30 rounds) defeat all the enemy resistance and get to the Comstar facility where our infantry and special ground forces would attempt to enter and download the data. At the end of 30 rounds the Comstar HPG would send off the plans off to another facility (unknown location) and then delete the plans from their local computers which would pretty much make our mission an epic fail.

Our Force
1x Marauder (MAD-1X Custom)
1x Catapult (CPLT-1X Custom)
1x Centurion (CN9-A Stock)

Defenders
1x Marauder (MAD-3R)
1x Griffin (GRF-1N)
1x Stinger (STG-3R)
1x Locust (LCT-1V)
3x PPC turret emplacements
3x AC10 turret emplacements
1x Anti Aircraft turret

Mission Scenario:
Our Leopard class dropship landed just outside of the immediate city area where our entire force of three mechs deployed.  Before the enemy mechs could move to engage us we had already encountered and engaged the first line of defense; 3x PPC turrets spread evenly across the board. While we were engaging the PPC turrets the enemy light mechs moved fast and close enough to get into range before the Medium and Heavy mechs could move for support. Carter's Marauder 1X cored the Stinger with a 1 hit wonder PPC shot to the CT completely blowing it out.  The enemy pilot ejected before his machine went crashing to the ground like so many bags of potatoes.

My lance mates engaged the Griffin and beat it like a red headed step child! Between the two of them they killed the Griffin and managed to hold off the remaining PPC turrets without taking too much damage. Once the Griffin was dropped they worked on the remaining 2 PPC towers.

We called in an Artillery Strike on the HPG unit itself however missed and only did 3 points of damage to it with AOE fire.

The enemy Marauder moved up to support the Locust who was trying to hide and flank Carter's Marauder.  Colonel Carter counted the Locusts movement using the edge of the board to prevent flanking and lined up on the incoming enemy Marauder. The Locust tried to bug out as fast as those little legs would carry him however an LBX10 hit to the leg pretty much ruined his day forcing him to topple over at which point the pilot climbed out of the mech uttered "Peace of Blake be with you" and he DT'd out of the area.  It was down to the MAD-3R and the MAD-1X.

Enter Monty Python. I fell twice during the course of the engagement with this single mech and am damn lucky he didn't core me. The rest of our lace did an excellent job of moving in to support the MAD-1X while I was struggling to get up. In fact the custom Catapult was jumping from building to in behind the MAD-3R and then running circles around him.

By this point the MAD-3R pilot began to panic as he was now alone on the battlefield. He began to spike his heat by firing off those PPCs with abandon! Single Heat Sinks are a bitch aren't they? He ended up failing a Shut Down roll and his mech shut down on him at which time the Centurion tapped on his cockpit with that AC10 and suggested the pilot climb out for some fresh air.

With time running out the MAD-1X and the CPLT-1X started to make a mad dash to the HPG in order to shut it down. The CPLT reached it first (The guy has like a 5/8 movement rating or better) and took a couple of shots at it blowing up the array. We left the Centurion to guard the enemy soldiers and prevent them from climbing back into their rides and taking pot shots at our rear.

Colonel OverKill Highlights:
Let's see... I failed TWO piloting rolls during the course of this game and fell twice taking damage. The second time I fell into the building. YAY ME! Don't Drink and Mech!
Trying to get up the first time I failed and remained prone behind a building. That was embarrassing.
Within 3 turns of each other the enemy MAD-3R and I traded PPC or LBX10 blast to the head on each of our machines! I almost failed the consciousness roll but managed to stay awake.
The enemy pilot managed to score a Critical but hit the 4th slot (empty) during that head shot he landed on me.

Lt. Colonel MiniMe Highlights:
It was like watching a grasshopper. He tried, and failed, a DFA attack landing a whole two hexes behind the MAD-3R
He ran around the Marauder preventing him from doing any damage by simply running him in circles
He took some pretty moderate damage but managed to keep on ticking which shows great design in the customization of that Catapult chassis!

Mechwarrior Excalibur Highlights:
Hasn't played CBT in a loooooooooooong time however he picked it up quickly and learned that range is your friend
He kept his mech at range on the PPC turrets and used his LRMs to some good affect. He had some great rolls! He was the rabbits foot today

GameMaster/Story Teller Highlights:
His MAD-3R traded head shots with my MAD-1X both of us doing 10 points of damage, passing our consciousness rolls and managing to stay alive.
He kept rolling ONE less than he needed. Like this happened MANY MANY MANY times! If he needed a 6 he'd roll a 5, if he needed an 11 he'd roll a 10.
I think he learned not to send out the light mechs too far in advance of their support. Especially when two of them run smack dab into the middle of a custom Marauder.

RESULTS
- We captured a damaged Locust and repaired it
- We captured a damaged Marauder, repaired it and sold it (6,500,000 credits anyone??!?)
- We recovered a cored out Stinger and stripped it and sold the parts that we didn't want to save/store
- We recovered a heavily damaged Griffin, fixed it and sold it
- We managed to piss of Comstar and probably won't be getting any Christmas mail/messages this year
- We completed our 2nd out of 4 missions for House Steiner
« Last Edit: 17 March 2011, 20:33:03 by OverKill »
Colonel Mason Grimm

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #23 on: 17 March 2011, 10:40:11 »
Good battle.  The picture looks good (even though the mech is wrong) and gives a nice gritty feel.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #24 on: 18 March 2011, 14:04:10 »
 [drool]

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 18 March 2011, 20:03:49 »
Just admit it. You were sober when you fell down twice. ;D
Growing up is optional.

Register