Author Topic: Open Warhex - My experience  (Read 5216 times)

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
Open Warhex - My experience
« on: 18 August 2017, 19:59:26 »
 Many of you are probably aware of GarageBay9's excellent work on Open Warhex, a modular hex terrain system available at thingiverse. I thought I would take some photos of my own prints which I have been using  for everyone here to see.
 I have resized these to scale with the map boards in the starter box/hexpacks, they are originally intended to be a little larger. I have also coated them in some Vallejo textured brown muck of some description to take the edge of the 3D printed texture, followed by an airbrushed coat of a lighter brown to make them look a little more natural.
 In the foreground you can see a Mechwarrior 2 style Waypoint/objective marker, also courtesy of GarageBay9.

GarageBay9

• Sergeant
Re: Open Warhex - My experience
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2017, 17:56:35 »
Great looking terrain, Phobos!   :D

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2017, 19:22:18 »
Not bad, the paint makes them look like they were made from clay.

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2017, 21:44:31 »
Hi GB9, didn't know you hung around here! Thanks for you r work, as you can see I get plenty of good use from it.
Phoenixstorm - funny you should say that, I was actually thinking of making a mould to duplicate these in plaster or something similar... I just have no room in my shoebox apartment for more st the moment :-)

GarageBay9

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2017, 00:46:23 »
I'm glad they're working so well for you.  Have you had any opportunity to make use of the scenery rings?  I'm super interested on any feedback you might have on those.

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2017, 19:30:45 »
Have you had any opportunity to make use of the scenery rings?  I'm super interested on any feedback you might have on those.

No, haven't used them. Mainly because at the size I have printed these I thought they might be a bit fiddly, especially trying to attach tiny trees to them.. But next time I have some alone time with the 3D printer I'll belt some out, and see what I can do with them.

Frank Olson

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2017, 12:54:26 »
I also wanted to try these as there was no other good solution but I didn't like that you can not interlock them.

Therefore I will use the hills from this kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1679800548/dragonlock-3-dangerous-lairs). Since the Dragonlock guy has an excellent record and always brings out new stuff for existing lines I guess that is safter than to fiddle around with my own solutions (tried to recreate heroscape tiles) and it CAN interlock.

GarageBay9

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2017, 23:35:59 »
I also wanted to try these as there was no other good solution but I didn't like that you can not interlock them.

I deliberately avoided using integrated flush edgelocks in Open WarHex - and keeping them from interlocking with Heroscape - to avoid issues with patent infringement.  I'm still thinking that over, but for now I'm looking at other avenues for OWH to secure terrain assemblies.

kuttsinister7

• Master Sergeant
  • I send recon, then artillery, then main forces...
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2017, 22:28:20 »
Looks great
If you can't reach for the stars, then call the Doom Stars. We will fix that for you...

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2017, 04:01:06 »
 O0

Frank Olson

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2023, 00:34:38 »
I deliberately avoided using integrated flush edgelocks in Open WarHex - and keeping them from interlocking with Heroscape - to avoid issues with patent infringement.  I'm still thinking that over, but for now I'm looking at other avenues for OWH to secure terrain assemblies.

For that I bought these files and with my limited 3d editing knowledge remixed a part that starts as a side-rock but has a tree on top so can just add trees on the side of your hill or slightly raised floor tile: https://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles/dragonlock-outdoor-terrain/dragonlock-ultimate-mountain-adventures-fdg0208/

Register