Author Topic: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - The Universe is Timeless  (Read 176851 times)

kato

• Captain
Re: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - The Universe is Timeless
« Reply #1170 on: 29 January 2019, 08:59:02 »
JAXA has named features on Ryugu btw:

"Trinitas" is where the Minerva-II-1 rovers landed, "Alice in Wonderland" is where the MASCOT rover landed (these two names are not officially acknowledged by the IAU).

Landing site selection for Hayabusa 2 is in its final stages; the landing will be in February. During September and October three landing rehearsals were performed in which Hayabusa 2 went as low as 12 meters above the surface. Originally only two rehearsals were planned, followed by a landing in late October, but it's a bit difficult finding an appropriate site. This animation was shot during the third landing rehearsal TD1-R3. Not quite sure where the other two rehearsals took place. TD1-R3 was located about halfway between Kintaro crater and the other end of the asteroid in the equatorial zone in the bottom-left of the above four images.

During TD1-R3 target marker 1 out of 5 was dropped; the target markers are inert reflective balls, they also include a film with 180,000 names of people though (there are 220,000 further names plus messages, illustrations and photos on a memory chip onboard the sample return capsule). They've been using it a bit in tracking precise locations as a retroreflective ground feature, but other than that it will remain undisturbed; the site is no longer intended for landing.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1171 on: 30 January 2019, 14:55:02 »

Here is a recent impact at Mars' southern polar cap.  Note the crater at the center of the "splat".  This impact was imaged by NASA's Mars  Reconnaissance Orbiter recently and is suspected to be only a couple of months old.  Serendipity shines; this part of the polar cap is seasonal, giving us a rare glimpse of energy generated by impactors. Image courtesy of NASA and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

To read more, I'll provide a link below.  It's to Forbes, which I've found has superb coverage of scientific subjects. Nothing dumbed down here.
 https://www.forbes.com/sites/robinandrews/2019/01/29/brand-new-martian-impact-crater-appears-in-the-planets-strangest-place/amp/
« Last Edit: 01 February 2019, 12:06:51 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1172 on: 30 January 2019, 18:45:02 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg

Bullets impacting steel targets in ultra-slow-motion (100,000-1,000,000! fps) and it's really fascinating how nature is so similar from the miniature to the massive; some of those non-penetrating hits splash in ways that look very similar to that impact scatter.  Also just a cool video to watch for applied physics.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1173 on: 01 February 2019, 09:51:31 »
Dragon 2 delayed yet again, which from what i'm reading into the statement is the application from FCC/FAA(?) says their delayed early March.  It doesn't state WHY.

From everything I've read, there been no technical issues with the vehicle.  Is bureaucracy that messed up from the shutdown or other issues people wise delaying it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1174 on: 02 February 2019, 08:45:52 »
Long live stainless steel rockets!  :D

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1175 on: 02 February 2019, 14:08:10 »
It's why I prefer kerosene & LOX over hydrogen & LOX, were I building BDBs. Sure, the ISP isn't the same, but the simplicity and energy density make it totally appropriate for a range of solutions.

BTW, can someone remind me of the spiritual successor to HOTOL? Are they still working on their two-cycle engines, or has that fallen by the wayside, again?

W>
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1176 on: 02 February 2019, 14:13:47 »
Looks like the ground test facility for the engine should be ready by next year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylon_(spacecraft)

Flight testing is expected by 2025...

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1177 on: 02 February 2019, 14:20:42 »
It's why I prefer kerosene & LOX over hydrogen & LOX, were I building BDBs. Sure, the ISP isn't the same, but the simplicity and energy density make it totally appropriate for a range of solutions.

BTW, can someone remind me of the spiritual successor to HOTOL? Are they still working on their two-cycle engines, or has that fallen by the wayside, again?

W>

Vs methane which appears to be what all the cool kids are doing these days?
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1178 on: 02 February 2019, 15:13:24 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 16:27:32 by Easy »

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #1179 on: 03 February 2019, 05:10:33 »
Dragon 2 delayed yet again, which from what i'm reading into the statement is the application from FCC/FAA(?) says their delayed early March.  It doesn't state WHY.

From everything I've read, there been no technical issues with the vehicle.  Is bureaucracy that messed up from the shutdown or other issues people wise delaying it.
FAA can't approve anything if that portion of the FAA isn't operating.
At least that's my understanding of the delay.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1180 on: 03 February 2019, 05:21:45 »
350-ton aerodyne Small Craft in 2025. The future is coming faster than we thought.
Unfortunately they only say the the ENGINE will be flight-tested in 2025, so even if that works perfectly it's most likely 5-10 years before test flights of the complete craft. :(

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1181 on: 03 February 2019, 05:29:45 »
Before 2050 is still faster than we thought, though... :)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1182 on: 05 February 2019, 00:09:17 »
Here's an article suggesting that Dark Matter does not exist.  It siggests other theories about the behavior of galaxies.

https://knowridge.com/2019/02/dark-matter-may-not-actually-exist/

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1183 on: 05 February 2019, 03:13:27 »
So basically anisotropic gravity, which flies in the face of a lot of other core assumptions of the universe and generally gives physicists hives.  So much depends on forces being equal at all scales that you're going to have a LOT of hair on the floor if this is proven right.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1184 on: 06 February 2019, 16:50:41 »
Much like the search for planet 9, the search for dark matter has led some back to the drawing board.  I don't subscribe to it myself, but it is one of the alternate theories dark matter. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1185 on: 06 February 2019, 16:53:55 »
Problem is there no real good way to show solid proof to satisfy everyone what or if Dark Matter exists  or not.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1186 on: 06 February 2019, 17:09:13 »
Well, we know there's something - either something we don't see or an error in the theories. In the first case we'll know if we find it, in the second case we'll know when we find supporting evidence for a better theory.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1187 on: 06 February 2019, 17:37:42 »
Found an article at Physics.Org where a team has put forth their ideas on the nature of dark matter and dark energy.  I thought it germain to the discussion. 

https://phys.org/news/2019-02-team-ideas-nature-dark.amp

As for my opinion, I think "Dark Matter" and "Dark Energy" are basically placeholder labels for things we don't understand with our current knowledge, and things we will understand one day, scoffing as we will be at the ideas we have now.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2019, 17:46:59 by rebs »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1188 on: 06 February 2019, 17:47:05 »
+1 to that... I strongly suspect the terms will eventually be consigned to the scientific scrap heap.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1189 on: 06 February 2019, 19:32:52 »
Aether was a thing for a long while, before Michaelson & Morley shot that one down.  And it made plenty of sense at the time.  Experiments will happen, theories will refine, and variables get become constants soon enough.  A universe that's perfectly understood is boring, personally I like having the mystery.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1190 on: 06 February 2019, 19:48:50 »
Me too.  We have a universe full of mystery, that's the good thing.  We should look at theories like dark matter for what they foretell, as shadowy constructs obscuring the truth.   It's a hazy construct but just look at all the component mysteries attached, look at how non-fiction will yet trump fiction again and again. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1191 on: 07 February 2019, 12:53:21 »
Interesting picture from the Chinese spacecraft over the Dark Side of the Moon.  The arrows points out where the lander went.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1192 on: 07 February 2019, 12:55:58 »
The far view....

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1193 on: 07 February 2019, 14:25:09 »
"I like to play with things for a while ...."
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1194 on: 07 February 2019, 15:27:37 »
"I like to play with things for a while ...."
I need to isolate the crosshairs to make a transparent overlay...

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1195 on: 07 February 2019, 15:52:05 »
That's some dark matter right there.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1196 on: 07 February 2019, 18:10:48 »
That's  clearest weather ive everseen.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1197 on: 09 February 2019, 15:26:26 »

Above is a new image of Ultima Thule in crescent, courtesy of NASA and the Applied Physics Laboratory at Johns Hopkins.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1198 on: 13 February 2019, 15:48:32 »

This diagram illustrates more clearly what the team has found.  Ultima Thule is more of a pancake than a snowman.   Image courtesy of UniverseToday.   

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1199 on: 13 February 2019, 19:58:11 »
Meanwhile, pour one out for Opportunity.  NASA spent the day trying to establish contact, and has declared the rover lost...after living over sixty times its projected lifetime and going 27 miles when it was only built for 700 feet.  One hell of an intrepid little voyager, and...well, maybe once we get to Mars, we can bring the little guy back for proper enshrinement.  A monument to science & exploration as well as fantastic engineering.

Register