Author Topic: A new Robotech: The Macross Saga RPG?  (Read 4328 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
A new Robotech: The Macross Saga RPG?
« on: 20 July 2018, 22:01:46 »
Apparently HG USA is teaming up with SMG to make a new Robotech RPG after the nuclear failure that was the Palladium Tactics game.

From http://www.robotechx.com/ they talk about the SDCC panel, and...
THE ROBOTECH PANEL
Thursday July 19, 2018 @ 8:30pm - 9:30pm
Room 24ABC

Harmony Gold USA presents the latest developments in the Robotech universe, from awesome new products to the live action film in the works at Sony Pictures with the producers of 300 and the director of Stephen King's “It.” Special guests include Titan Comics, Solar Flare Games and Strange Machine Games, and more!
Granted, it's still early as hell for the film to make any predictions, but I suppose Sony's pushing ahead with it.  Wonder if they have a script yet.  I'd also really be curious to see how the new RPG is set up, apparently the guys who run RobotechX are involved in the writing.  Supposedly there's a No Miniatures At All demand in place for the game, presumably after the Tactics debacle.

Going to their facebook page, by the way, I found this linked:
http://forums.strangemachinegames.com/forums/forum/smg-roleplaying-games/robotech-the-macross-saga-roleplaying-game/
which has signups for people wanting to get involved in testing the game.  I'm assuming on face value it's legit, but we'll see.  Now I need to find out who went to the panel and how it turned out, what all announcements were made.

Also: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD don't bring up the lawsuit in here.  This isn't for that, this is just for info on the new game.  That's a tender subject for a lot of people and a giant ball of gasoline waiting for a flame war.

EDIT: And 45 minutes ago, they just announced that Netflix is running all Robotech episodes.
https://twitter.com/RobotechNews/status/1020494263769972736
So.  That's a thing too now.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2018, 22:09:35 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Luciora

• Major
Re: A new Robotech: The Macross Saga RPG?
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2018, 23:53:09 »
I wonder if they are trying to push to show Sony they are worth keeping as a distributor at this point.   I'm more interested to see what kind of art they will be using and what story before making any other decisions.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2018, 23:55:18 »
Netflix has had Robotech for awhile now lol

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2018, 08:05:18 »
I thought HG's licence to the original anime material was expiring soon.  Do they really have time to start developing new products at this point?  ???
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2018, 08:17:52 »
Let's hope this is the first sign of a class Delta Fire at HG's stupid idea division... at the very least, it's an action that takes runs the rug from under all of us hoping to celebrate the IP drop from HG's cold heartless fingers...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2018, 11:45:48 »
I thought HG's licence to the original anime material was expiring soon.  Do they really have time to start developing new products at this point?  ???

They have three years, and if they want to convince Tatsunoko and Big West that they should keep the license, they need to produce product. Robotech Tactics was supposed to be the spearhead for a new push, but its utter failure - due 100% to Palladium, can't blame this one on Harmony Gold - left HG scrambling. I do find it interesting that Sony is still up for a movie, and believe it or not, I wish them luck on that.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2018, 11:52:35 »

As ColBosch suggested, the expiration of their license doesn't mean it won't be renewed. In fact, it's already been renewed once since the HG/Tatsunoko arbitration.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2018, 12:32:24 »
The one thing the Palladium Kickstarter DID accomplish was to show there was still significant money to be made from the Robotech fan base. You can get a lot of product out and make a lot of money in 3 years. (Unless you are Kevin S.....)  Decades of developmental complacency by HG is only now being shaken off. It's probably too late , but we'll just have to see.
Depending on the system, I'd be interested in a new Robotech RPG myself. Couldn't stand Palladiums mechanics...
« Last Edit: 22 July 2018, 12:34:21 by Major Headcase »

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2018, 12:50:59 »
Here, here. I would love to see a new RPG system, too.

I'm still of the mind there should be minis, too.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2018, 12:54:56 »
Here, here. I would love to see a new RPG system, too.

I'm one of the weirdos who actually enjoys building the little models Palladium made for the KS 😂 I've got lots of minis for a new RPG!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2018, 12:59:12 »

From what I understand, that would require a reworking of HG's license with the Japanese companies. But then again, I got that from the fallout of Robotech Tactics, so take it with a grain of salt. But there's plenty of the Palladium miniatures out there, at least of the basic mecha.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2018, 16:00:38 »
Of course it's a Maccross Saga RPG.

Grumble, mutter
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2018, 16:18:23 »
Well so far Strange Machines only put out some board games. I guess their goin for the board enthusiasts?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 22 July 2018, 19:33:15 »
Well, as was stated, they do still have the license and at the VERY least they might as well get some cash out of it - the fees were already paid, so the red side of the ledger already exists.  Get some income based on the property for a couple years.

And, maybe, they'll show that the property's good enough to relicense...but it could also backfire badly, and suggest to Tatsunoko that people want an actual Macross franchise......
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 22 July 2018, 19:34:30 »
They have three years, and if they want to convince Tatsunoko and Big West that they should keep the license, they need to produce product. Robotech Tactics was supposed to be the spearhead for a new push, but its utter failure - due 100% to Palladium, can't blame this one on Harmony Gold - left HG scrambling. I do find it interesting that Sony is still up for a movie, and believe it or not, I wish them luck on that.

It's been a decade now... I honestly don't care what HG does with the Robotech liscence at this point as long as I get to have reasonably priced Macross Frontier Merchandise outside of ninjaing it out of Japan.

Of course it's a Maccross Saga RPG.

Grumble, mutter

A Mospaeda fan, I take it?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #15 on: 22 July 2018, 21:31:20 »
A Mospaeda fan, I take it?

Just a bit. More to the point, I am sick to death of Macross being the be all and end all of Robotech. Every RT project starts there, and every one of them dies before getting beyond it
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 22 July 2018, 23:08:48 »
The new tactical board game coming out is called Robotech Crisis Point, and its set in the Robotech Masters timeline.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #17 on: 23 July 2018, 00:06:59 »
it is also a Cards on a board type game, same as the macross one they just released. there is also a New Generation one in the works, Invid Invasion.
all different mechanics though. darn it.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 23 July 2018, 06:34:38 »
It may well be possible that HG can manage a new license, though it could be heavily modified to allow for all the Macross titles to flow free from Japan. Make it so Macross and Robotech are no longer under the same licensing banner as it were.

Doesn't HG get to keep the Robotech IP (minus all the anime art) once the license expires?

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #19 on: 23 July 2018, 06:42:08 »
Yes they will still have the Robotech name, but with so much of the art being licensed going forward my be difficult without a reboot with new art.

As for the game, three years can be long enough. I got involved in one game that the company dropped after two years, and have tried to find books that only got one printing.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 23 July 2018, 14:34:53 »
As for the game, three years can be long enough. I got involved in one game that the company dropped after two years, and have tried to find books that only got one printing.

Ooo! Color me curious! What was this short lived gaming gem??? 😊

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #21 on: 23 July 2018, 16:23:02 »
TSR's Star Drive.

The book I was looking for was a Planescape supplement. I stopped buying new D&D stuff after that.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 23 July 2018, 17:22:13 »
Any word about the panel for those who couldn't make it?