Author Topic: supercharger  (Read 7260 times)

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
supercharger
« on: 25 September 2011, 03:07:44 »
question: how do superchargers work? (rules-wise)

i do not own TacOps, and in doing a search, i saw no mention of them

"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
Re: supercharger
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2011, 04:02:54 »
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Supercharger

Get TacOps.  It has Tournament Legal equipment in it now.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2011, 04:37:08 »
so does that mean it essentially works exactly like MASC? need a 3, then 5, then 7, etc... to keep using?
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2011, 05:19:51 »
Yep. If it fails you may take engine hits.

It's better than MASC in every regard except price. They are insanely expensive, especially on XL engines.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2011, 05:28:53 »
so does that mean it essentially works exactly like MASC? need a 3, then 5, then 7, etc... to keep using?

On 'Mechs, pretty much. The two key differences are that when when you fail (a) unlike MASC, the supercharger is automatically destroyed and (b) instead of risking leg damage when that happens you roll to determine crits once and apply any that result directly to the engine.

Also, unlike MASC, you can install superchargers on vehicles, but the rule regarding what happens on a failure there is poorly written to the point of making basically no sense whatsoever. On the one hand, you're supposed to roll on the "appropriate Determining Critical Hits Table" -- which vehicles don't actually use since if you get a potential critical hit on a vee you simply skip ahead to rolling straight on the relevant critical hit table once --, and then you're supposed to apply any results to the motive system, which has nothing to do with regular critical hits at all.

(I suppose the idea may have been that you're supposed to roll for up to three possible critical hits as you would for a 'Mech and then apply any results on the Motive System damage table going down, with anything beyond "immobilized" killing the engine as well...but that's only my best hazy guess.)

Edit: Actually, according to this thread it seems I may not have been too far off the mark. The book itself still obfuscates things far too much for comfort, though.
« Last Edit: 25 September 2011, 07:18:58 by A. Lurker »

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2011, 06:53:27 »
Just be clear on one thing on person said. Tac Ops has tournament legal gear in it but Superchargers still count as experimental so they can't be used in an official tourney rules game.

Yep. If it fails you may take engine hits.

It's better than MASC in every regard except price. They are insanely expensive, especially on XL engines.

They are definitely expensive but the price doesn't take into account whether or not you use an XL.

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2011, 07:23:12 »
TRO: Prototypes says otherwise.  :)

General308

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2011, 12:39:30 »

I haven't picked up TRO: Prototypes yet.  But does it say the stuff in the book is tourney legal or does it just have TO stuff in it?

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2011, 12:42:21 »
Most of the TO stuff is no longer experimental, but advanced.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2011, 12:45:41 »
Most of the TO stuff is no longer experimental, but advanced.

Yes but according to what was stated when this whole project was started if it isn't in Total Warfare it isn't tourney legal level wasn't supose to matter.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #10 on: 25 September 2011, 13:16:44 »
TRO: Prototypes changes a number of Advanced technologies to Tournament Legal (as of 3090), and a number of Experimental technologies to Advanced.  That said, the Supercharger is now Advanced.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #11 on: 25 September 2011, 13:24:59 »
thanks guys :)

General308

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 25 September 2011, 13:32:48 »
TRO: Prototypes changes a number of Advanced technologies to Tournament Legal (as of 3090), and a number of Experimental technologies to Advanced.  That said, the Supercharger is now Advanced.

So basicly Total Warfare no longer does it's job of having all of the Tourney equipment in one book?    Time to redo all the core rule books!

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2011, 14:06:04 »
So basicly Total Warfare no longer does it's job of having all of the Tourney equipment in one book?    Time to redo all the core rule books!

It's only if the game era is 3090 or later- thou after IO finally comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if we see revised reprints of the core books for the DA+ timeline.
I'm sure there's going to be at least a couple of new pieces of tech at that point of time. Even then, that's two or three years down the road in real time.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2011, 14:28:54 »
It's only if the game era is 3090 or later- thou after IO finally comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if we see revised reprints of the core books for the DA+ timeline.
I'm sure there's going to be at least a couple of new pieces of tech at that point of time. Even then, that's two or three years down the road in real time.

See that is why it is a problem tourney legal is supose to be just that it either is or isn't..... Toruney legal isn't supose to have anything to do with the timeline.

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2011, 15:07:06 »

See that is why it is a problem tourney legal is supose to be just that it either is or isn't..... Toruney legal isn't supose to have anything to do with the timeline.

Not really, it's already happened before.

The game has integrated a number of non-tournament items that used to be old Level 2 and 3 tech into TW. Vehicle flamers, Improved Jump Jets,
Light Autocannons, etc. all used to be non-tourney at one point in time. And I would doubt that a tourney would let you play a 3085 IJJ 'Mech in
a 3050 tech match. Or a 3050 Clantech machine in a 3025 match.

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 25 September 2011, 15:10:18 »

Ooo...Should've expected that. Wished it happened sooner. I hope certain things were improved instead of just shifted down in rules level.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #17 on: 25 September 2011, 17:56:47 »
Ooo...Should've expected that. Wished it happened sooner. I hope certain things were improved instead of just shifted down in rules level.

The upcoming products that are set in-universe after 3150 will probably have some input to contribute in this regard.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #18 on: 26 September 2011, 02:10:36 »
Just be clear on one thing on person said. Tac Ops has tournament legal gear in it but Superchargers still count as experimental so they can't be used in an official tourney rules game.

They are definitely expensive but the price doesn't take into account whether or not you use an XL.

The item costs don't cross-multiply, but anything using a Supercharger is probably going to be pretty fast (for its size, any way),and if you've got an XL you're likely to have a high engine rating due to it allowing you to often bump your movement curve up a bit as well.

Just as an example, the Locust-6M is worth 3, 965, 000 C-Bills. Strip the MASC in favour of a Supercharger and you jump to 7, 307, 740 C-Bills. Having a Supercharger cost more than everything else on the unit put together is a pretty common occurance IME.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 26 September 2011, 03:05:16 »
The item costs don't cross-multiply, but anything using a Supercharger is probably going to be pretty fast (for its size, any way),and if you've got an XL you're likely to have a high engine rating due to it allowing you to often bump your movement curve up a bit as well.

Just as an example, the Locust-6M is worth 3, 965, 000 C-Bills. Strip the MASC in favour of a Supercharger and you jump to 7, 307, 740 C-Bills. Having a Supercharger cost more than everything else on the unit put together is a pretty common occurance IME.

Whether that says more about the Supercharger or about the C-bill rules in general is left as an exercise for the reader. ;)

Register