Author Topic: (Answered) CO - Unit costs  (Read 2071 times)

L. Y. Deschain

• Private
(Answered) CO - Unit costs
« on: 28 October 2017, 14:32:38 »
My group is not using Campaign Ops, but because of the wording we are a bit confused. This is a Game currently in 3130, since that may matter.

The question is, when not, emphasis not, using generic costs, do units get any sort of cost multiplier. Like buying an clan mech while you are a mercenary? Everything seems to point to no in my mind, since the text all seems to say "When using generic costs." when discussing the cost multipliers.

So when using Master unit list, or other places to get unit costs, do you use any cost multipliers? And if yes which ones would apply.

Generic example is the Timberwolf Prime costs 24,233,125 for what I am looking at. Is it always that?

Nevermind the fact you need I believe an 9 to even try to get it, 6+3(For clan), with a regular pilot. (Maybe more)
« Last Edit: 07 November 2017, 18:39:26 by Xotl »

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: Campaign Ops- Unit costs
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2017, 15:57:18 »
The question is, when not, emphasis not, using generic costs

So...wait...are you using generic costs or not?
;)

do units get any sort of cost multiplier. Like buying an clan mech while you are a mercenary? Everything seems to point to no in my mind, since the text all seems to say "When using generic costs." when discussing the cost multipliers.

Oops, the table isn't segregated or footnoted.

A lot of those cost modifiers are meant solely for generic costs, which otherwise wouldn't capture the impact of XL engines and similar price-enhancing gear. Meanwhile, specific-price units explicitly have those costs worked in.

However, the "Clan Equipment in non-Clan forces," "Tech E and F equipment for non-Clan, Non-Comstar...", and "Customized unit" modifiers should be...generic. :) That is, they represent the high cost of getting unusual units. The Inner Sphere Rakshasa and Clan MadCat are both similar in price by the construction rules (both being 5/8 XL 75-ton 'Mechs), but the MadCat is vastly harder to acquire by Inner Sphere forces. Hence the x5 multiplier that was applied in earlier books to Clan gear in non-Clan hands.

Let me poke around a bit before saying something definitive and derailing others' plans.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

L. Y. Deschain

• Private
Re: Campaign Ops- Unit costs
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2017, 22:15:02 »
Thanks Cray, you can probably see why I found it a bit confusing since all the multipliers were sort of bundled together. My brain got addled reading the section and just trying to figure out which costs to multiply.

Clan equipment being more expensive to non-clans makes a lot of sense. Customized also makes sense, and the E and F makes sense, hard to get stuff. I will wait to hear back but good to get slight clarification, thank you.

Register