Author Topic: Honour's Gauntlet - SPOILERS ahead  (Read 8541 times)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
Honour's Gauntlet - SPOILERS ahead
« on: 16 August 2020, 11:16:59 »
Just thought we could move the discussion here.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Honour's Gauntlet - SPOILERS ahead
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2020, 11:28:49 »
Obviously the big take away is March 3151, Terra.

I'm letting my thoughts on the rest of the novel percolate and will eventually post them here.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2020, 14:17:53 »
Given the dates, the mystery objective wasn't much of a mystery.

The Wolves needed the Dragoons to rendezvous with them no later then February 5th.
I have spoken.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2020, 15:23:39 »
Yep,

So Wolves jump in January (with or without Fidelis helping), and by March we have the Falcons jumping in.   While I don't see them contributing in any meaningful way--it opens the door to Capellans and Kuritans jumping in as well--how crazy would a 4 (5?) way fight for Terra be?

« Last Edit: 16 August 2020, 15:25:13 by MarauderD »

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2020, 15:26:08 »
Yep,

So Wolves jump in January (with or without Fidelis helping), and by March we have the Falcons jumping in.   While I don't see them contributing in any meaningful way--it opens the door to Capellans and Kuritans jumping in as well--how crazy would a 4 (5?) way fight for Terra be?

That's something that I would really like to see.

hf22

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2020, 22:09:18 »
So my big take outs are:

1. I hate even the moderate Jade Falcon characters, whose objections aren't to civilian mass-murder per se, only to civilian mass-murder which doesn't actually help achieve objectives. Malvina Hazen has certainly moved the Overton Window within her Clan - They are dark age Wobbies at this point.

2. The Falcons look like they are over-committing to Terra with everything available, and even the Lyrans are managing to take back worlds behind them. Whatever Falcon forces survive the battle for Terra might not have much of a path left back to their occupation zone.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2020, 06:10:56 »
Still reading. Be back. Enjoying the new fiction before i go back to rereading old stuff again.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2020, 13:01:51 »
Has one determine if that Quad CargoMech that was ramming Archer's machine was using ramplate?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2020, 13:49:50 »
So my big take outs are:

2. The Falcons look like they are over-committing to Terra with everything available, and even the Lyrans are managing to take back worlds behind them. Whatever Falcon forces survive the battle for Terra might not have much of a path left back to their occupation zone.

Sounds exactly like something Malvina would do.

Has one determine if that Quad CargoMech that was ramming Archer's machine was using ramplate?

Definite no. Ram Plates are military technology. You aren't talking military equipment here.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2020, 14:54:08 »
Yep,

You forgot the Davion's.   After Stone bailed out Julian with his expeditionary force.   You gotta assume he's going to cash in that chit.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 24 August 2020, 16:12:40 »
Sounds exactly like something Malvina would do.

Definite no. Ram Plates are military technology. You aren't talking military equipment here.
Yep, guns at your back tend to be prime motivator to keep going forwards.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 24 August 2020, 16:28:09 »
You forgot the Davion's.   After Stone bailed out Julian with his expeditionary force.   You gotta assume he's going to cash in that chit.

Which is basically the return of three regiments worth of battle hardened troops by now. Throw in whatever the distraction value of retaking New Avalon is.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 01 September 2020, 13:12:20 »
I would be stunned if Davion spared troops to fight on Terra, even if they were honor bound to do so, before they retook New Avalon and the 'Dragon's Tongue' worlds.  I can see Julian feeling like he owes Stone the troops.  I just can't see the AFFS spreading themselves even thinner than they already are, with so many occupied worlds in the Crucis March.  Just my  $.02

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2021, 15:42:11 »
I think most of our questions from the book re: Terra and such have been answered with the release of HotW, so I wanted to touch on some of the reasons why this is one of my favorites of the new novels, if not my outright favorite.

1) I think it does a really good job with the "good" Jade Falcons. It's one of the problems with the Mongol Doctrine from a character standpoint, the fact that you have an absolutely horrible regime that routinely commits war crimes. You have the small minority who do not agree and do their best to avoid falling into the depths of depravity of the rest of the Clan. I think with Archer and his unit, we get a clear enough picture of it, in that their involvement isn't sugar coated. It sets up what I think is going to be an interesting problem to deal with in the post-HotW novels for the Jade Falcons. No matter how opposed these characters were to Malvina, the fact remains that they WERE a part of the regime and there will have to be some kind of a reckoning and soul searching.

2) Scale: One of the troubles that a lot of the MWDA novels in particular suffered from was that the scale of actual combat was so small. In HG, we get a relatively small scale combat, but it doesn't FEEL small. There is enough meat on the bones of the mech combat, and combined with the larger political overtones, it feels like the novel has meaning within the scope of things.

3) We get a main character who is a different kind of clanner. He smiles! He curses in Spanish! He is a lot more thoughtful and a lot less brute force than your typical clanner, especially a Jade Falcon. He also seems to have a relationship with the troops under his command that's more akin to a Spheroid commander, he seems to know and genuinely care about them, and you get the feeling that this serves him well in that he has to worry far less about a knife in the back to take his job than your average clan commander.

4) Space lesbians! It's not the first LGBTQ+ reference that we get in BattleTech print, but it's still awesome to see continued inclusion!
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...