Author Topic: Profiles I wish had made it into BattleTech: Legends  (Read 3679 times)

Hotham

• Master Sergeant
Profiles I wish had made it into BattleTech: Legends
« on: 20 December 2021, 14:56:51 »
Cost constraints and production time notwithstanding, here are some of the profiles I wish had made it into the book.

First off, whichever artist drew Romano and Takashi smiling, good stuff. Rarely in fiction do you see characters expressing joy or humor. It adds a layer of humanity to their character and makes them seem real.

Now that's out the way, I'll start be saying that I'm not a big Steiner fan, but I feel that they got snubbed in this book. There's no Steiner profiles in the Succesion Wars section and I believe that Nondi Steiner would fit right in there.

Hassid Ricol would have made a good addition as a counterpart to Grayson Carlyle. Both of their descendents appear in the IlClan section so would be bringing it full circle.

I would like to have seen Leo Showers and Trent. The man who helped bring the Clan Invasion to fruition and the man who ended it.

I know the book is called Legends, but seeing mercenaries such as Rhonda Snord or Jeremiah Rose would have been cool.This might be pushing it in terms of who should appear.

I would have found some way to stick Talon Zahn and Marcus Baxter in there somewhere.

For the Dark Age I would love to have seen Ezekial Crow, Katana Tomark, Roderick Steiner, Remiel Bekker, perhaps a McCarron or Baxter to add some Capellan representation.

Last but not least, I would have nominated Trillian Steiner and Stephenie Chistu for the IlClan section. I can't remember is Prohaska Moon was noted as MechWarrior in HotW, but if she is, it would be nice to have a introduction to her character similar to Abdoun Ricol
"My mother told me to never throw stones at Davions. But my father told me, aim for their heads." - Daoshen Liao

"Call me, when you need me." - Danai Centrella-Liao

"Bath him, then bring him to my chambers." - Romano Liao

The Warrior Houses are the closest thing BattleTech has to the Jedi Order. Change my mind.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Profiles I wish had made it into BattleTech: Legends
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2022, 02:39:17 »
Perhaps we'll get a "legends 2" with more?

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2022, 08:25:17 »
 ^-^ I think the book should have been little bit bigger in Legends. That just me by the way.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2022, 11:04:45 »
I would have had a Wars of Reaving section.  With Brett Andrews,  Silas Kufahl, Din Steiner, and Amanda Carol.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2022, 15:35:43 »
I would have had a Wars of Reaving section.  With Brett Andrews,  Silas Kufahl, Din Steiner, and Amanda Carol.

I always sort of interpreted the Wars of Reaving themselves as TPTB sending a message to stop asking for Homeworld Clan stuff, and moving any of the ones they actually cared about to the IS, so I'm not surprised to see that conflict/era unrepresented.

Pretty sure we're supposed to forget The Black Thorns ever existed, too, so not surprised to see no Jeremiah Rose.

Some guy on Twitter got very very angry at me for not thinking Joanna deserved to be in the book.  ::)
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2022, 21:11:46 »
I always sort of interpreted the Wars of Reaving themselves as TPTB sending a message to stop asking for Homeworld Clan stuff, and moving any of the ones they actually cared about to the IS, so I'm not surprised to see that conflict/era unrepresented.

Pretty sure we're supposed to forget The Black Thorns ever existed, too, so not surprised to see no Jeremiah Rose.

Some guy on Twitter got very very angry at me for not thinking Joanna deserved to be in the book.  ::)

thats my read too. the home clans the writers actually liked and/or had ideas for moved to the IS. the remaining clans where ones they just didn't wanna do anything wth
The Suns will shine again

Middcore

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2022, 21:37:43 »
thats my read too. the home clans the writers actually liked and/or had ideas for moved to the IS. the remaining clans where ones they just didn't wanna do anything wth

I think I've posted about this before but I actually consider existence of Clans besides the original invading cohort to be one of BT's biggest narrative mistakes. Not that some of them aren't somewhat interesting but there was clearly never any plan for what to do with most of them past the original one-sentence descriptor of each one's unique "thing." (And then somehow the most generic one of all ended up kicking everybody else's ass.)
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2022, 14:50:13 »
So thinking about this more one character I would have liked to have seen included is "Emperor" William Baranov. Partially just because I like the Zeus and would like to see it in the full-color Legends style, but also because I think he's a fun character who is sort of representative of the dynamic of the whole Chaos March region/era, and who managed to have a rather outsized presence in the universe because of how many different revisits/POV's there have been of the Hall imbroglio.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2022, 15:24:18 »
Yeah, i think CGL was on budget. There are pictures (canon) for Trillian (which i think is bit...not greatest) and Roderick Steiner.

There are profile pictures of some other of the Dark Age characters that came in via Dark Age Republic of the Sphere PDF (I'm not sure it's considered to be canon) MechWarrior: Age of Destruction (yet another Wizkid art source, not CGL). 

Katana Tormark
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2022, 20:56:40 »
I think I've posted about this before but I actually consider existence of Clans besides the original invading cohort to be one of BT's biggest narrative mistakes. Not that some of them aren't somewhat interesting but there was clearly never any plan for what to do with most of them past the original one-sentence descriptor of each one's unique "thing." (And then somehow the most generic one of all ended up kicking everybody else's ass.)

Not sorry to say... The Home Clans will no doubt return, or they would not have been left intact.

When they learn of the IlClan, they won't be able to help themselves. 

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2022, 23:12:04 »
Would they?  Would they care? They didn't seem to want have anything to do with the Inner Sphere.

Perhaps they would invade later as form of revenge on the "fallen" Clans  whom fallin sway to the Inner Sphere's way.

I guess it comes down too whatever makes story good in the long run and what makes game play interesting.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Hotham

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2022, 14:58:45 »
Would they?  Would they care? They didn't seem to want have anything to do with the Inner Sphere.

Perhaps they would invade later as form of revenge on the "fallen" Clans  whom fallin sway to the Inner Sphere's way.

I guess it comes down too whatever makes story good in the long run and what makes game play interesting.

I have yet to see someone propose the idea that it may be the Inner Sphere that invades the Homeworlds. Call it the Exodus War or the Pentagon Crusades.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2022, 16:48:51 by Hotham »
"My mother told me to never throw stones at Davions. But my father told me, aim for their heads." - Daoshen Liao

"Call me, when you need me." - Danai Centrella-Liao

"Bath him, then bring him to my chambers." - Romano Liao

The Warrior Houses are the closest thing BattleTech has to the Jedi Order. Change my mind.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2022, 15:20:14 »
No, that idea has been put forth by forum users here.  It just hasn't gotten a big reaction because everyone is entrenched in their own opinion of what "should" happen.

Personally, I like it.  It's like the Advanced version of the Reunification War. 

Gives the disparate factions of the Star League 3.0 something to focus on.