Author Topic: Whitestreak superlight Aerospace Fighter  (Read 1992 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Whitestreak superlight Aerospace Fighter
« on: 13 February 2018, 18:56:05 »
Author note: I amazoned up some Mechwarrior Age of Destruction boosters the other day to sacrifice to the Hobby Saw. Upon receiving them I found I'd gotten a pair of DI multipurpose VTOLs. Looking at the front end of the VTOL, I got a ridiculous idea and began giggling...

Whitestreak V-3000c

The Whitestreak series (affectionately known as the "Crotch Rocket", as the cockpit sits directly on top of the fusion plant) is best known as one of the premier civilian aerospace racers in the Federated Suns, having been produced for decades by Risling Pleasurecraft of Ramona. Quick, nimble, and cheap enough to be affordable to even the only moderately wealthy pleasure seaker, the Whitestreak has spread across the inner sphere, and can be found in many a garage or private airfield.

As the Jihad wore on, the world of Ramona and Risling Pleasurecraft became increasingly concerned with its own security. With industrial sites being destroyed across the Suns, Risling rightly feared that its manufacturing center (able to service and potentially construct combat capable aerofighters) would eventually become a target, however they also expected no help from the beleagered AFFS. Believing they had nowhere else to turn, Risling (with an enormous grant from the jittery planetary government) set out do handle thing themselves, and turned to the Whitestreak.

The V-3000c is a basic "combat refit" of the 3000 series racer. Mostly stock, the only modification came from removing the wing fuel tanks (accounting for two thirds of the Whitestreak's fuel supply) and trading them for a pair of single shot missile launchers, the only weapon system that would both fit in the wing cavity and could be fabricated quickly on site. The result... well, it isn't great. The Whitestreak is a one shot wonder, zooming in on its target, delivering its single volley, then running like cheap paint. Individually, it's barely an annoyance, while at best a large group of Whitestreaks might be able to catch an unprepared enemy off guard to inflict moderate damage, as was done when the Word of Blake finally sent a rading force to Ramona. This force, consisting of a single dropship with only a pair of fighters as outriders, was met in space by over fifty Whitestreaks. Relying on an external droptank for the initial burn, the defenders managed to attain tremendous velocity on their approach, blowing past the tiny fighter screen to deliver a single solid strike against the Blakist dropship. Though only lightly damaged by the attack, the blakist dropship aborted its approach upon detecting as many as a hundred more Whitestreaks were forming up for additional attacks. Unknown to the Blakists, this was nothing but a bluff, the remaining craft were unarmed civilian models that had been quickly pressed into service to create the appearance of a massive fighter fleet.

The Word of Blake never made a second attempt to raid Ramona.

Deployment/Variants:

The marketing department of Risling Pleasurecraft was quickly able to turn the successful defense of Ramona into steady orders for the V-3000c, mostly from minor worlds feeling desperately exposed with their parent states focusing on the Blakist threat. Though the sense of security they provided tended to evaporate the first time they were tested in combat, they can still be found, mostly across the fringes of the Inner Sphere or among the personal defense forces of various minor noble houses. Many of these have been refitted to mount a pair of small lasers (either extended range or standard depending on preferences and availability). Others have managed to squeeze a pair of rocket packs (something Risling originally tried but failed to do) into the original missile bays.

The Taurian Concordat is known to have stockpiled several hundred of these cheap fighters, but has not been seen to employ them aside from the occasional training flight in the Hyades cluster. It is known that these fighters are specifically not variants, and it is widely rumored that the Taurians have developed a nuclear warhead small enough to fit in a standard SRM casing. True or not, these craft are likely being reserved as a force of last resort, should the Hyades be attacked.

Rumors of a nuclear equipped Whitestreak in Taurian hands have alledgedly piqued the interest of the Principality of Regulus, with them both inquiring with the Concordat for design specifications, and working to develop their own version. Whether this is true or simply a rumor playing on the Principality's percieved fondness for nuclear warheads remains to be seen.

Base Tech Level: Standard (IS)
Level            Era   
-----------------------
Experimental     3075 
Advanced      3076-3084
Standard        3085+ 
Tech Rating: E/X-X-F-E

Weight: 5 tons
BV: 67
Cost: 968,779 C-bills

Movement: 11/17
Engine: 45
Heat Sinks: 10
Cockpit: Small Cockpit
Fuel Points: 0/40 (0.5 tons)

Structural Integrity: 11
Armor: 8
            Armor 
-------------------
Nose            3 
Left Wing       2 
Right Wing      2 
Aft             1 

Weapons       Loc  Heat 
-------------------------
SRM 2 (I-OS)  RWG    2   
SRM 2 (I-OS)  LWG    2   

Ammo  Loc  Shots 
------------------

Design Quirks: Atmospheric Flyer, Bad Reputation
« Last Edit: 13 February 2018, 19:00:04 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
Re: Whitestreak superlight Aerospace Fighter
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2018, 22:42:58 »
Now THAT is how you write fluff, and make a guy fall in love with junk! Now I'm off to design something similar for myself. I do have some 10 ton fighters I called MiGs. But you have outdone me, sir. And I am glad to hand over to you. :)

Very fun!

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2018, 00:11:47 »
RL-10s, dude.  And this should be a drone.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2018, 00:21:54 »
RL-10s, dude.  And this should be a drone.

The inspiration demanded the use of SRM 2s and a pilot.

Though I did mention a variant that uses rocket packs, along with a note that the original engineers couldn't make them fit at first. Also, the rockets are less accurate, and you've only got one pass either way.

No promises on a drone version.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2018, 01:15:25 »
Holy carp that's a tiny ASF.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2018, 02:11:41 »
So smol, yet bitey!

Great background and a really characterful design :D
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2018, 13:24:31 »
I didn't know how to link back to you over here, Liam...but wanted you to know I gave you credit for a design by me that you inspired on my own Aerospace Thread.

Thank you! This is a super fun one!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2018, 15:27:43 »
Its the 'insert hyperlink' button, the world with a document over the bottom right.  It's under the button for Italic print, I

This reminds me of the microfighter concept.  An under 20 tons fighter, I think using it as a drone offers real potential.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2018, 16:48:01 »
This reminds me of the microfighter concept.  An under 20 tons fighter, I think using it as a drone offers real potential.

It's under ten tons, too, meaning a basic robotic control system weighs nothing. Quick and easy mod.

The super secret plan on the part of the Taurians is to eventually deploy a fleet of drone whitestreaks, each carrying a single nuclear tipped short ranged antiship missile. I partly hinted at this with my mention of "nuclear SRMs" in this case, the rumor mill is confusing talk of a missile with a short range capability with a short range missile.

I can't promise they'll get it into service, though. Depending on the continuity where it might appear, things might not be going well.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2018, 23:07:19 »
Hmm.  In that scenario, have you considered 'silos' of these with an actual warhead in them as cargo?  It might be doable depending on the yield and physical size of the warhead.  I could see one removed from a Cap missile for a special mission, or something.

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2018, 23:11:00 »
Hmm.  In that scenario, have you considered 'silos' of these with an actual warhead in them as cargo?  It might be doable depending on the yield and physical size of the warhead.  I could see one removed from a Cap missile for a special mission, or something.

A silo might be a great way to launch Liam's little Whitestreaks as well. Or a catapult of some sort to conserve fuel?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2018, 08:55:58 »
That's a cool modified racer
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2018, 09:01:50 »
Nuclear ASMs are space-based to begin with, right?   ;)