Author Topic: Altered Carbon  (Read 8406 times)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Altered Carbon
« on: 20 January 2018, 23:46:24 »
« Last Edit: 02 February 2018, 19:10:11 by Dubble_g »
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: Altered Carbon
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2018, 00:14:11 »
It looks interesting. And the concept is intriguing. Didn't realize it was based on a book though.

However, visually...it looks like they just did a visual clone of Blade Runner (the flying cars especially). Guess it makes sense as Blade Runner pretty much defines Cyberpunk on film.

(Plus it has James Purefoy in it, so that's worth watching right there.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2018, 00:24:58 »
It looks interesting. And the concept is intriguing. Didn't realize it was based on a book though.

However, visually...it looks like they just did a visual clone of Blade Runner (the flying cars especially). Guess it makes sense as Blade Runner pretty much defines Cyberpunk on film.

(Plus it has James Purefoy in it, so that's worth watching right there.)

The trailer seems to echo the books feel (the flying cars, etc are in the book). I'm excited for this series, I'm hoping it catches on and they will cover all the books eventually.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Last Edit: 02 February 2018, 19:11:11 by Dubble_g »
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2018, 08:39:54 »
Read the book years ago and really enjoyed it. Hoping it lives up to that

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2018, 10:02:13 »
If its up to the quality of the book it should be great

Looking forward to it
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2018, 13:02:55 »
Personally, I'm looking forward to the Telemundo adaptation, Altered Cabrón.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2018, 13:57:38 »
If its up to the quality of the book it should be great

Looking forward to it

If it's half as good as the book, it'll still be an excellent show, IMO.

Someone I know (who's not read the books) compared it to Game of Thrones, and I jokingly rejoinded that they'll need to tone down the sex in the books considerably or GoT will seem prudish by comparison.  Of course, Netflix produced Sense8, which featured incredibly explicit sex scenes with just about every sexual orientation covered, so it's a possibility that they won't one it down at all.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2018, 16:29:57 »
Another book on to-read list.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2018, 16:43:21 »
Another book on to-read list.

As well as the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy, I highly recommend Black Man (which I believe was called Thirteen in the US)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2018, 18:55:58 »
In all seriousness, I love the hell out of the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy, and I really hope this adaptation lives up to that. I liked Joel Kinnaman in that Robocop remake they did a few years back that was way better than it had any right to be, so I'm hoping he does a good job with the character, and ideally they'll get to do a three-season run with a book per season and different actors for each new sleeve, but I guess we'll see what happens. Mostly I'm just hoping it won't suck.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2018, 07:34:52 »
Can highly recommend his take on fantasy as well  ;D

Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2018, 19:12:13 »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2018, 14:20:12 »
I'm through the 1st four epsand the torture sequences in ep4 were just a bit over the top for me.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2018, 15:55:00 »
Binged the whole season Friday night...and it was...okay. I doubt I would have watched it all if it had followed the traditional one episode a week format. (And I doubt I'll watch a second season.)

Don't really have any specific complaints; just none of the characters really interested me in any way.
How far in the future does it take place? A thousand years? A couple thousands? Oddly enough it didn't really feel all that advanced (expect for a few scenes).

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: 04 February 2018, 18:33:23 »
Watch the first 6 episodes and loving every second of it.
Gimme more more more of it! :D
It's brutal, it's intense, it's interesting. I love the setting, the noir, the turns.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2018, 21:20:21 »
I'm four or five episodes in, and so far I've nothing to complain about.  I do love me some cyberpunk. . . almost makes me want to hit up roll20 for some Shadowrun action.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 04 February 2018, 22:07:52 »
I'm four or five episodes in, and so far I've nothing to complain about.  I do love me some cyberpunk. . . almost makes me want to hit up roll20 for some Shadowrun action.

I had the same - watched first two episodes and ended up firing up Shadowrun: Dragonfall again on the PC

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 05 February 2018, 01:50:39 »
This show is more transhumanism than it is cyberpunk.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #19 on: 05 February 2018, 01:58:55 »
It's postcyberpunk, in as much as it combines themes of classic cyberpunk with a reflection of modern social issues, technological innovations and science fictional ideas that postdate 80s and 90s cyberpunk, or weren't included in the older canon of same - like transhumanism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_derivatives#Postcyberpunk

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #20 on: 05 February 2018, 22:33:09 »
Except for the lack of magic and magical races, this is basically Shadowrun and Shadowrun without magic is cyberpunk.  Megawealthy tycoons that are governments unto themselves?  Check.  Authority figures on the take?  Check.  Beat cops doing what is necessary to see justice done?  Check.  Buying high-tech hardware from a street vendor who keeps said bleeding-edge bang-bang in an ice cream cart?  Check.  Band of misfits consisting of an assortment of flotsam served up from the streets?  Check.  Ortega ends up with a cyberarm, for Pete's sake.  About the only thing not classic Shadowrun in this show was the fact that the runners actually knew the identity of the person they were working for.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 06 February 2018, 09:22:21 »
Just finished the season. Not too fussy about labels myself--dark, dystopian urban near-future with flying cars, body augmentation and plenty of hacking seem cyberpunky enough for me, but whatever--though I agree the social message gets played up a lot more here than in traditional cyberpunk.

That would have worked better for me if I wasn't rooting for the sister. Without getting too spoilery, they changed Quellists from being sort of quasi-communist (in the books) to full on anti-technology Luddites who want to get rid of digitized consciousness. I mean, opt out if you want, but I don't think anybody would have the right to make that choice for others.

It was okay though, good but not great. I enjoyed the over-the-top parts (two horned gladiators! and a knife-wielding assassin! and a berserk crowd! and a ninja gymnast with a katana!) and thought they made a good effort to personalize the story and tie all the plot threads together into a more coherent whole than is in the book. I think they tried too hard to up the DRAMA of every scene too much though, with sometimes silly results (like the fight in the clone bank...so, so many boobies). The final "everyone stands around revealing the plot" was straight up daytime soap opera, too.

That ending was heavily hinting at a sequel tied to Woken Furies though, wasn't it? Hope they don't skip Broken Angels, that was my favorite.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 06 February 2018, 17:39:18 »
on binge now...have to get more popcorn...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 06 February 2018, 17:59:34 »
I really wish the spoiler tags were working... :/

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #24 on: 07 February 2018, 17:42:30 »
I havn't seen the show, but reading the basic jist of the setting, it sounds a lot like Eclipse Phase.  Is that a good comparison?
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #25 on: 07 February 2018, 17:49:11 »
I havn't seen the show, but reading the basic jist of the setting, it sounds a lot like Eclipse Phase.  Is that a good comparison?

Eclipse Phase's creators cite Morgan's books as a major influence. 

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #26 on: 07 February 2018, 18:07:01 »
Yes, as someone who GMs an Eclipse Phase campaign I usually tell people that Altered Carbon is more or less required reading for running it, because so much of the setting is lifted directly (or changed only very slightly) from the Takeshi Kovacs books.

- Klarg1

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 08 February 2018, 22:56:25 »
finished the binge...
ending left few openings so sequel can go on...even without original cast
very nice

btw is it my imagination that ever since a lot of creators got away from the big 5 shows made starting about 9 years back started to get way better?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #28 on: 09 February 2018, 21:57:23 »
It started with the Sopranos back in '99, but no, it is not your imagination.

- Klarg1

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 09 February 2018, 23:51:58 »
Binged 8 episodes so far and I'm looking forward to reading the books. The nudity is a bit over the top sometimes though. The torture scene was rather interesting. Raising grandma in a male body was rather funny and the actor did a fairly good job at it I think. Especially since he then had to turn around and play another role of a nutjob.

But alas... time to fix a snack for ep 9&10.