Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels season four  (Read 14935 times)

Skyth

• Lieutenant
Re: Star Wars Rebels season four
« Reply #30 on: 02 November 2017, 18:08:23 »
i base my agility claims on the show vs the falcon in ROTJ. the Ghost, even in the hands of Sabine, chopper, or Kanan definitely has an edge over the falcon in pure maneuverability.

The Falcon was pretty agile in TFA even with Rey at the helm instead of Solo :)

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 02 November 2017, 18:36:00 »
I think the Falcon is supposed to be around 50 to 100 years old as of the battle of Yavin, and it's not so much that it's a flying pile of junk/scrap, as that it's a perfect example of a jury rigged mess.

Look at it this way, the basic hull is 2 or more destroyed (totaled) ships (cars) patched togather to get something that works, then it has a drive out of something never intended to be used in that type of ship (cramming a big block v8 into a 4 cylinder motor vehicle) borderline capital ship guns (they are commonly used on a lancer frigate as anti starfighter defences) much more powerful shields than are stock, or even legal for freighters of the Falcons class, and on and on, in addition it has multiple Droid brains tied into and supplementing the main computer, and other makeshift, and jury rigged repairs to keep it running.

The ghost on the other hand is effectively a stock / professionally modified ship.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 02 November 2017, 20:12:07 »
I think the Falcon is supposed to be around 50 to 100 years old as of the battle of Yavin...

It was introduced 72 years BBY according to old canon in the West End RPG (and wookiepedia).

Ghost (a modified VCX-100 light freighter) isnt mentioned a date anywhere I checked.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #33 on: 03 November 2017, 11:51:48 »
New canon, the Falcon is around 85+ years old by the Battle of Yavin.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 03 November 2017, 17:29:50 »
It was introduced 72 years BBY according to old canon in the West End RPG (and wookiepedia).

Ghost (a modified VCX-100 light freighter) isnt mentioned a date anywhere I checked.
Look.

I love the WEG d6 Star Wars game. Still looking to run it again after a horrific five sessions with the new FFG game - gods, is it awful.

But why would you bother consulting it for any kind of information?

I had a much longer, angrier post about this which I deleted because it was rather pointless, but still... WEG books were notorious for just makin' stuff up if they couldn't find hard numbers after a whole fifteen minutes of looking, and wookiepedia is awful dependent upon those books.

I've never laughed so hard when I watched wookiepedia about the HWK-290 - WEG books says it was 29 meters long (almost as big as the Falcon!) and Lucasfilm said 16.5 meters long when FFG asked them about it for the HWK X-Wing mini.

So which size did wookiepedia fight for, the one from the long-defunct RPG or the company who created the damn thing? Of course, the RPG! A bunch of deadline-writers knew better than the guys who built the model and kept exacting records of everything!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #35 on: 03 November 2017, 18:08:09 »
on the FFG forums there was a long running arguement over the size. in the end someone installed the old game and took a bunch of screen shots where the character and the ship were in the same spot.. and it turned out that it scaled to 16.5 meters. they scaled it against the other ships in the game.. and it was 16.5 meters.

guess what size people still insisted it was?   :P

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #36 on: 14 November 2017, 00:46:05 »
Good episode tonight, though faintly disappointing that the X-Wings are just shown being used by the Rebellion with no episode dedicated to their acquisition.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #37 on: 14 November 2017, 01:24:55 »
i'm sure we'll get a Novel or comic series devoted to it eventually. better they do it offscreen though than have it be yet another thing the Ghost crew did for the rebellion. they've already done enough to get it built i think.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #38 on: 14 November 2017, 01:37:06 »
Look.

I love the WEG d6 Star Wars game. Still looking to run it again after a horrific five sessions with the new FFG game - gods, is it awful.

But why would you bother consulting it for any kind of information?

I had a much longer, angrier post about this which I deleted because it was rather pointless, but still... WEG books were notorious for just makin' stuff up if they couldn't find hard numbers after a whole fifteen minutes of looking, and wookiepedia is awful dependent upon those books.

I've never laughed so hard when I watched wookiepedia about the HWK-290 - WEG books says it was 29 meters long (almost as big as the Falcon!) and Lucasfilm said 16.5 meters long when FFG asked them about it for the HWK X-Wing mini.

So which size did wookiepedia fight for, the one from the long-defunct RPG or the company who created the damn thing? Of course, the RPG! A bunch of deadline-writers knew better than the guys who built the model and kept exacting records of everything!

Your anger is a little misdirected in the case of the HWK-290. It wasn't created by Lucasfilm or West End Games (in fact, I think the west end games RPG was already out of print by that point). It was created by lucasarts for the Dark Forces computer game. The length appears to originate with the later Wizards of the Coast game.

The earlier West End Games RPG was a completely different entity and actually contributed a huge amount to the early expanded universe. Some of its bits even survived to make it to disney canon. Which isn't really significant, because it's still primarily legends continuity. 
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 14 November 2017, 02:20:13 »
i'm sure we'll get a Novel or comic series devoted to it eventually. better they do it offscreen though than have it be yet another thing the Ghost crew did for the rebellion. they've already done enough to get it built i think.

Wouldn't necessarily have to have been about how the Ghost team got it for them (which probably would have been too derivative of the way the B-Wing's intro was handled last season), but it would have been nice to see it getting rolled out and see things like Hera's reaction since she's one of the best pilots in the Rebellion.

Though I notice that she's already been promoted to general.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 30 November 2017, 20:31:47 »
One other thing about the X-Wing: I think this episode was the first canon time that it was shown that an X-Wing can fire its lasers with its S-Foils not in attack position.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #41 on: 19 February 2018, 22:25:54 »
 :'(

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 20 February 2018, 06:32:10 »
O_O

I was not ready for that.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #43 on: 20 February 2018, 07:43:59 »
 :o
I have spoken.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #44 on: 20 February 2018, 08:14:07 »
WHELP!

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: 20 February 2018, 09:11:10 »
O_O

I was expecting it from the stuff at the beginning of the episode.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #46 on: 20 February 2018, 09:22:04 »
O_O

Long overdue. Should have been last season.

That being said, I don't think we've seen the last of him.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 20 February 2018, 12:03:03 »

Yeah, the foreshadowing was strong with this one.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #48 on: 20 February 2018, 12:22:29 »

For me it was the proper time. Rescuing a fellow rebel and fulfilling a mission by delaying the Defender factory like a proper Jedi (unlike someone we know in TLJ). This was a proper true end.
« Last Edit: 20 February 2018, 12:38:16 by Kentares »

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #49 on: 20 February 2018, 12:27:21 »
One other thing about the X-Wing: I think this episode was the first canon time that it was shown that an X-Wing can fire its lasers with its S-Foils not in attack position.

Hidalgo replied in the online after show that X-Wings always could do that but the main difference is that the attack position spreads the shots more to give a harder time to TIE pilots.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 20 February 2018, 14:02:57 »
I didn't say I wasn't expecting it.  They did kind of call it out from the start.  I just said I wasn't ready for it.  I also expected him to have a bit more agency to his heroic sacrifice

That being said, I don't think we've seen the last of him.
I think the timing worked out quite well.

Hidalgo replied in the online after show that X-Wings always could do that but the main difference is that the attack position spreads the shots more to give a harder time to TIE pilots.
So I guess that means the old Legends reasoning of there being radiators in the wings and that they can fire when closed but can't sustain a high rate for long is gone.  Shame, I thought that was a better reason even if it was still kinda odd (like how TIE wings are supposed to be solar panels or something)

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 20 February 2018, 18:51:05 »
Right in the feels
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: 20 February 2018, 19:43:23 »
I though Zeb took the Ghost back to Yavin with Kallus.  How did he end up on Lothal?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #53 on: 20 February 2018, 20:18:13 »
I though Zeb took the Ghost back to Yavin with Kallus.  How did he end up on Lothal?

That was Kallus and Rex...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #54 on: 20 February 2018, 21:39:39 »
Let's see, Hera and Chopper both show up in Rogue One so they're safe, who else do we think will killed off this season?
« Last Edit: 20 February 2018, 22:35:39 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #55 on: 20 February 2018, 22:20:28 »
We know from the trailer that Ezra faces Palpatine. I can't see that ending well.
I have spoken.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #57 on: 20 February 2018, 23:47:43 »
Well considering Ezra is the only one left that they need to remove from the story line in some fashion the rest could actually be rather safe.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 21 February 2018, 11:17:06 »
Well considering Ezra is the only one left that they need to remove from the story line in some fashion the rest could actually be rather safe.
I still don't see why he has to be removed - and it isn't because I particularly LIKE him.

We know that Yoda and Obi-Wan are perfectly capable of both lying and withholding the truth from Luke for their purposes; not selfish ones, but ones that fit their need to restore balance and destroy the Emperor. Telling him, "Hey man, if you go down, there's NO ONE to take your place," is perfectly in line with that.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 21 February 2018, 13:18:00 »
They could EASILY have him go on walkabout like Ashoka.  She was a prominent force user and said herself she wasn't a Jedi anymore, and given Snoke in the sequel films who is not a Sith-lord, there's room for not-Jedi Knights roaming around.

Register