Author Topic: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)  (Read 198837 times)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Re: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)
« Reply #900 on: 22 April 2018, 14:53:03 »
Isorla gifted to us...

So randomly: what book has how to use Elementals and BA in it?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #901 on: 22 April 2018, 15:08:10 »
TW, but SO and TO have some extra rules that come in handy..

What's the problem your having?

Movement or firing?

I've got some experience in both, if that helps...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #902 on: 22 April 2018, 19:20:47 »
Neither: just acquired four points of them and want to start using them so I want to read up on the rules. Need some more Omni's to carry them, but man are they expensive.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #903 on: 22 April 2018, 19:44:44 »
Four Points eh...

Well if their the standard Toad... Jumping is standard movement, just leapfrog from shelter to shelter, staying next to buildings or level 1's as much as possible, only walk ( technically this is called jogging for Infantry ) if you have to, mostly underwater ( 1 hex a turn ).

But if you can get some transpo, better protect it, ride not die! ALWAYS deploy away from the fight, but as close as you can, behind a level 1 or higher or behind a treeline if possible.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #904 on: 22 April 2018, 20:05:56 »
Yeah: right now lacking supporting forces really. I only have a Kodiak, Nova, Stooping Hawk, and Bear Cub for CGB forces. Trying to find Clan omni's at a cheap rate lol.

Yeah they are going to be standard Toad until maybe I can get a point or two of Rogue Bear. I want a pair of classic Fire Moth's of course and use them as my Taxi's. The rest was just to see what hodgepodge force I could assemble and flavor accordingly. The people near me (mostly friends) hate larger sized battles, so most likely I won't even be able to use a full Nova.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #905 on: 22 April 2018, 20:11:33 »
so most likely I won't even be able to use a full Nova.

Never say that... let's open our books...

You have any extra minis or are you trying to buy them from IMW / other sale?

Are you playing Alpha Strike or Tabletop?

Do you have any vehicles? Can you "Proxy" these, as in this equals this?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #906 on: 22 April 2018, 20:21:29 »
Looking to buy always from a variety of places: but usually it's my own budgets fault not for lack of places.

I have a full Battalion and a half for IS and a dozen SL mechs for my Clan Wolverine forces. I ... dislike proxy-ing, although I was looking to snag a couple Epona's and Tyr's (with maybe an SM1 cause I love the thing) for the future.

Tabletop: right now the group is mostly IS forces which is why I want to build the Supernova. And of course get to Con's and stuff.

Anyways back on topic: I figured I'd test a point or two against them first to basically learn how and then work my way from there.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #907 on: 22 April 2018, 20:30:22 »
Well know... IF you happen to have the Hvy APC, any, or the Badger / Bandit or EVEN a Saladin...

All are clan builds. ( Saladin is a 17 ton cargo hauler... )

Should be able to field these if you happen to have a mini...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #908 on: 28 April 2018, 04:27:41 »
A question about the Dominion and Solhama personnel,

Does the Dominion have a different view towards Solhama troops vs the typical Clan.  I would imagine the idea of basically disposable/suicide units quite the anethma to the Dominion's leadership, so what would happen to troops that were seen as old?  Are they instead rotated out into training roles or used to fill out 2nd line forces or even 'retire' or is it a case of "See that minefield over there, run through it until you don't have to run any more.  The explosion will tell you when to stop."
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #909 on: 28 April 2018, 05:44:14 »
I think there's some fluff that they sometimes get hired or got hired by Odin manufacturing ect as test pilots or advisers, but on the whole i don't think it's been covered anywhere in detail, i have a feeling we would let them test down into an non military cast and serve in an advisory role or go between for dealing with the Clan. I can easily see washed out Elemental's been poached by construction companies, after all it's still service to the Clan and State that their Phenotype aids with for example.
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #910 on: 28 April 2018, 08:35:27 »
Aetospace pilots get hired as consultants and basically turned it into a top gun like atmosphere in one of the valkyrie clusters.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #911 on: 28 April 2018, 08:56:44 »
I would imagine the idea of basically disposable/suicide units quite the anethma to the Dominion's leadership
There is still the positive (to the Clans) notion of giving these aged warriors an honourable death in battle.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #912 on: 28 April 2018, 09:22:39 »
Don't forget about the police caste: granted I don't remember if it was featured in anywhere but Vega (common sense says yes but I'm away from my books at the moment to confirm). Solamha could test down into that caste as well.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #913 on: 28 April 2018, 17:09:18 »
The Kungsarme pretty much forced retirement to be a thing. So as a Warrior you have options.

For a Trueborn you are still indoctrinated from birth to be the greatest thing ever so there will still be a big mental hurdle to leap to even consider a non military life. So an end as a mine field detector is probably still an option.

Then there is general death. These guys like their live fire exercises and 15 point weapons. A % aren't making it to retirement.

Then we move into trainers. This is a traditional role but not suited to everybody. One of the Aerospace companies was hiring ex Warriors as consultants (training is a side line). These would be the best of the best so again a limited pool.

Then there is politics. From memory 2/3 of the Rikstag have to have served in the military. This will appeal to a certain fraction of Warriors.

Finally you have retirement. I have no idea what sorts of pensions are in play. I don't know any ex military types who don't have some kind of chronic injury and I imagine it to be worse in a Clan military. Hopefully they have made it to a decent age but there is every chance the Warrior has been forced out in their 20s or 30s. So they are there with another 50 years of life.

Suicide is an option. Mercenary service. Officers are probably suitable for various management positions but the grunts might not have much to hope for. Hopefully there is some kind of vocational training program for those exiting the Touman if only to keep nut jobs with military training off the streets.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #914 on: 29 April 2018, 12:19:50 »
Once upon a time I suggested adding a rule to Randall that you could drop Elementals on top of another mech for a swarm attack if you jumped over it after it had moved and you were carrying elementals. Would be perfect for the Firemoth..... :D

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #915 on: 29 April 2018, 14:30:23 »
But... Firemoths don't have jump jets... Well the thing about dem Duke boys...

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #916 on: 29 April 2018, 16:25:49 »
But it's an OmniMech and that would practically demand a variant that did so....

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #917 on: 29 April 2018, 17:10:33 »
I think that went over your head.

*plays first 12 notes of Dixie*

:D

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #918 on: 30 April 2018, 10:13:57 »
I got it jellico ;) a Firemoth with the SLDF logo on iy ;) best part is the mech warrior is all ready wearing daisy duke like shorts!

Once upon a time I suggested adding a rule to Randall that you could drop Elementals on top of another mech for a swarm attack if you jumped over it after it had moved and you were carrying elementals. Would be perfect for the Firemoth...short

Would make the viper a whole lot scarier!
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #919 on: 30 April 2018, 16:45:38 »
Not to worry. It just means that I am getting olllld.

My wife missed the 80s In the West so I get in trouble with pop culture references all the time. Watching Guardians of the Galaxy was endless questions.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
So thoughts on a non HA version of the viking iic?

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
I would like regular armor, but don't have a program (or time) to work out a version-2.

I don't really think that it would be worth investing in a new design, but I haven't played with Hardened Armor so I can't comment on usage.

That being said because it is a second line mech I think it works well enough as is.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
I would like regular armor, but don't have a program (or time) to work out a version-2.

I don't really think that it would be worth investing in a new design, but I haven't played with Hardened Armor so I can't comment on usage.

That being said because it is a second line mech I think it works well enough as is.

I had a iic version a while before real one came out. Used streak lrms which made not overheating nice. Basically i find the iic with HA slooooooow. Pairs up well with the HA madcatmkII, but again sloooow. Like put on a show while you get into position slow.
 That said when it does get there it slaps mechs around like a paperboy who wants his two dollars.

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
I was thinking about a version with Mech Mortar 8's but i am not so sure, I like the Davion Antlion, the good parts are it would go up to 4/6 with 16 tonnes standard armour

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61376.0

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
I'm not sold on Mech mortars, anyone with experience like to share with the rest of the class?

Xeno426

• Sergeant
I'm not sold on Mech mortars, anyone with experience like to share with the rest of the class?
I've only used them in MegaMek, but I find almost every time I use them I wish I was using LRMs instead. The only real value they add (besides being immune to AMS) is that you can blind-fire them without a spotter. But the to-hit penalty on that is so high, it's kind of pointless.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
Oh reeeeally. That's kinda cool, I can see how they could fun if very niche.

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
They can also fire indirectly at any time, even if they have a valid line of sight, best part is ammo, Anti personnel: 1D6 per tube at 21 hexes, if you can get your claws on them, semi-guided rounds: an SRM 8 at again 21 hexes since IS and Clan Mortars have the same ranges

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
They are most interesting for their exotic ammo.

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
Do we have any information on how we deal with Former Rasalhague Republic vehicle regiments? I think there was some information but i can not remember where.