Author Topic: Might Before Metal: Home of Clan Hell's Horses III  (Read 87118 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Might Before Metal: Home of Clan Hell's Horses III
« on: 22 October 2017, 13:01:04 »
Well we needed a new one...

So far nothing's new for our clan, how about your excursions?

To be truthful, I've been busy with solving the " Zeta problem ". ( What survives when a clan dissolves to reform a new one. ) I have shed some light on this predicament and have so far found little to report as of yet.

But fear naught, I shall triumphantly be rewarded soon enough, trothkin! Now where did that datapak go again.... *mumbles off*...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Re: Might Before Metal: Home of Clan Hell's Horses III
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2017, 18:39:05 »
Glad to hear it!

Sancozela

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2017, 02:11:20 »
We would like to always find you.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2017, 11:28:26 »
And what, prey tell, does that cryptic message mean, trothkin?

Was I lost, was there a search pattern?

Just curious, which is what happens to Nova Cats and certain Jaquars that look.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2017, 18:07:22 »
For me I am trying to finish a converted Nova of Grendel's and ? BA(Gnomes or Elementals).  I am in the Clan Invasion era while doing so.  I have a Grendel-A and -B and was considering what the last three Grendel's would be.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2017, 19:49:41 »
For me I am trying to finish a converted Nova of Grendel's and ? BA(Gnomes or Elementals).  I am in the Clan Invasion era while doing so.  I have a Grendel-A and -B and was considering what the last three Grendel's would be.

I rather like the Prime, and the D (although I'd rather the ER PPC be in the right arm to replicate the rest of the configs)...

But I'm most especially fond of the H (but preferably with an improved heavy large laser, and a standard SRM-4 with a ton of ammo and the last ton given to an ECM suite...however, the stock model is good too)...sure, it's got nothing beyond 15 hexes, but it's horrific up close...

Actually, what I would probably recommend to you would be another of each of the A's and B's, with a H making up the final Grendel...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2017, 22:02:38 »
I'm toying with the idea to get 1 more Balius and magnetized it, like I've done with several other omnimechs for all the loadouts I have parts for.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2017, 22:57:06 »
I dig the idea of the balius but I loath the mini. Any other possibilities to count as it?

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2017, 06:01:34 »
Looking at this Clan Invasion Era Supernova, not sure if I am doing this right or not...

Nova Alpha:
Grendel-P
Grendel-A
Grendel-B
Grendel-C
Grendel-D
25x Gnome BA

Nova Bravo:
2x Epona-P
2x Epona-A
2x Epona-C
2x Huey Assault Tank
2x Mars Assault Tank
25x Elementals

All the Grendels are already built, so there is no going back there.  But everything else can be shifted, and since I am headed towards Alpha Strike with this I need to make sure that the points are matched pairs. 

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2017, 10:57:30 »
Looking at this Clan Invasion Era Supernova, not sure if I am doing this right or not...

I'm no AS expert, but if you're asking if your novas are assembled correctly, then yes, they are.  5 mechs/25 elementals for a mech nova.  10 vehicles/25 elementals for a vehicle nova.

Nothing wrong with five Mongrels and their 7-hex jumps,.  But in-universe, I dunno if the Horses would field that many in a star.  For more Horse flavor, I'd go with Novas, Stormcrows, and (maybe) Hellbringers.  The Nova was the original BA carrier, and the Prime and similar configurations are decent in the role with their jump capability and strong mid-/short-range firepower.

Also nothing wrong with indirect and off-board support from slow Huey and Mars tanks.  But I might also trade them for support tanks that can better keep up (or at least stay in range of) those Eponas.  The Horses originated the Enyo, which moves 6/9, is decently armored, and can throw an ER large laser downrange until its massed Streak batteries come into play.  It's one of the better Clan tanks.  The Ares is also decent but more long-range focused:  5/8, ER large laser, 25 LRMs with Art IV FCS.  There are others.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: 09 November 2017, 09:19:22 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2017, 15:51:08 »

Nova Alpha:
Grendel-P
Grendel-A
Grendel-B
Grendel-C
Grendel-D
25x Gnome BA Gnomes CAN NOT be carried as the are ASSAULT class. Toads better anyway.

Nova Bravo:
2x Epona-P Ares
2x Epona-A
2x Epona-C
2x Badger C- C
1x Huey Assault Tank
1x Mars Assault
25x Elementals Go for 20x Gnome and 5x Toad.

Gave you a nice alternate fire support that can carry 2 Points per vee each! Literally. The Badger C's serve as APCs for the Gnomes you carry. Keeping your Ares and Badgers together should provide in depth protection for your Huey / Mars combo.

Enjoy!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2017, 16:15:00 »
Gave you a nice alternate fire support that can carry 2 Points per vee each! Literally. The Badger C's serve as APCs for the Gnomes you carry. Keeping your Ares and Badgers together should provide in depth protection for your Huey / Mars combo.

Enjoy!

TT

No sure what you mean about not being able to carry the Gnomes?  On the Alpha Strike card it says CAR5 and the Grendel is an Omni. 

I do have a pair of Badger-Cs sitting around as well.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2017, 16:20:38 »
Assault BA can't be carried on mechs, too heavy. 1.5 tons each.

Not sure on AS I haven't read both books yet, still reading.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2017, 16:24:54 »
Ah ok, gotcha.  Don't think AS handles it the same though I could have missed that!

I do have a pair of Ares as well I think. Just gotta check in my Eponas.

Any particular reason for not taking Primes?  That quad-MPL is nasty
« Last Edit: 08 November 2017, 16:26:45 by Armond »

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2017, 16:30:41 »
Assault BA can't be carried on mechs, too heavy. 1.5 tons each.

Not sure on AS I haven't read both books yet, still reading.

TT

Gnomes are heavy. Only 1.5 tons. And so they can be carried on OmniMechs, since they have a Heavy Battle Claw.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #15 on: 08 November 2017, 17:45:08 »
I know I'm a broken record on this, but if you're a Horse, you can never go wrong with larding your Omnis up with LRM Gnomes. They are the peanut butter to OmniMechs' chocolate.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 08 November 2017, 18:22:44 »
I know I'm a broken record on this, but if you're a Horse, you can never go wrong with larding your Omnis up with LRM Gnomes. They are the peanut butter to OmniMechs' chocolate.
+

I'll second this.

I'll also point out that the guy asking about the force said he was making an Invasion Era unit, so no Gnome (LRM) just yet. :)

Still, the originals are nice as well.

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2017, 20:01:29 »
Yah, LRM Gnomes would be optimal, but not in era.  Maybe later!

Now I need to figure out which Galaxy, Cluster I am shooting for.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 09 November 2017, 15:01:07 »
666th Mechanized Assault Cluster, Beta Galaxy!

Of course....

>:D

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 09 November 2017, 17:54:57 »
Not being biased or anything are we?   ;)

Right now I am just collecting all the pieces to get the force together, I have them all just have to locate them!  But I don't have two Ares.  I have a pair of Hachiman, some Svantovits, Shamash, Indras, but no Ares lol
« Last Edit: 09 November 2017, 18:56:22 by Armond »

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 10 November 2017, 18:23:51 »
So would it be better to make it so the Grendel Star, the Star of Battle Armor, and a Star of Vehicles?  Or were Hell's Horses known for prolific use of Supernovas?

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #21 on: 10 November 2017, 21:45:00 »
Or were Hell's Horses known for prolific use of Supernovas?

Yes, the Horses are probably the most prolific users of nova and supernova formations.

Horse cluster descriptions in FM: Crusader Clans indicate that _every_ ground star in a typical Horse cluster is a nova.  This is illustrated at:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Hell%27s_Horses_Touman#Unit_Structure

Scroll down slightly for the wire diagrams.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 10 November 2017, 22:43:19 »
Heck if ou have a Point of Aero, make it truly a combined arms. If I am reading right, Aero becomes neat in AS.

I'd replace the Ares for whatever you have in stock. Don't for get you can use older SLDF fighters as well from some Brain Caches.

Just a thought. Also I was in the wrong about the Gnomes, I saw Golems... my bad.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 10 November 2017, 23:32:08 »
Yes, the Horses are probably the most prolific users of nova and supernova formations.

Horse cluster descriptions in FM: Crusader Clans indicate that _every_ ground star in a typical Horse cluster is a nova.  This is illustrated at:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clan_Hell%27s_Horses_Touman#Unit_Structure

Scroll down slightly for the wire diagrams.

I just saw that, thank you!  Very much into their Novas. 

Heck if ou have a Point of Aero, make it truly a combined arms. If I am reading right, Aero becomes neat in AS.

I'd replace the Ares for whatever you have in stock. Don't for get you can use older SLDF fighters as well from some Brain Caches.

Just a thought. Also I was in the wrong about the Gnomes, I saw Golems... my bad.

TT

Something else to keep in mind after some reading, is that each Badger (C)-C has the IT5, so can only carry one point of BA.  Am I missing something?  Or is it because it is an Omni that it can carry two, one inside one riding on the outside?

I will just keep the Ares in there.  I have time.

Nova Alpha:
Grendel-P
Grendel-A
Grendel-B
Grendel-C
Grendel-D
25x Elemental/Gnome BA (Thinking Gnomes for the guys who need to close like the Prime and Bravo.  Elementals for the guys who are going to be hanging back like the Alpha.)

Nova Bravo:
2x Ares *support for Badgers and Indirect Fire
2x Epona-A *missile support/Indirect Fire w/BA transport
2x Epona-Prime *direct fire support and BA transport
2x Badger C-C *BA transport and minor Indirect Fire
1x Huey Assault Tank *Arty and Missile support
1x Mars Assault Tank *Just a nasty Assault Tank
25x Elementals/Gnomes (not sure on the combo yet)

« Last Edit: 10 November 2017, 23:36:45 by Armond »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 10 November 2017, 23:51:08 »
Yes, they are Omni, but they are way better than APCs.

Keep your Epona A and C.

A has TAG, 2x LRM-20
C Has TAG, ECM and a ER PPC

Nasty combo is combine both points together, one each. A and C per Point, x2 + Toads!

In this case if you went with:
Nova Alpha:
Grendel-P
Grendel-A
Grendel-B
Grendel-C
Grendel-D
25x Elemental/Gnome BA (Thinking Gnomes for the guys who need to close like the Prime and Bravo.  Elementals for the guys who are going to be hanging back like the Alpha.)

Nova Bravo:
2x Ares *support for Badgers and Indirect Fire
2x Epona-A *missile support/Indirect Fire w/BA transport
2x Epona-Prime *direct fire support and BA transport
2x Badger C-C *BA transport and minor Indirect Fire
2x Svantovit IFV *faster than Eponas, and still has some Indirect Fire
1x Huey Assault Tank *Arty and Missile support
1x Mars Assault Tank *Just a nasty Assault Tank
25x Elementals/Gnomes (not sure on the combo yet)

You could add another Star of IIC/ Klondike  to reflect a Binary with Tank support. Even going as far as saying they are being transported by a Lion WD dropper. The Binary of BA is being tagged along by a Sassanid, with maybe a Carrier to assign a Aero Star for support.

Lion WD carries 10 mechs, 12 tanks... 2 being that Huey/Mars A4 support.

I use these a lot.  >:D

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 11 November 2017, 00:45:30 »
Hail Trothkin!
This is all very helpful. My campaign has almost made its way to Operation Scour and I was thinking of assigning my mercs to the Marik front, which includes Hella Horses’ contribution to the Coalition; the 91st Mechanised.

Any tips for building this storied cluster? I was thinking Elemental and infantry heavy? Some vehicles for fast striking/recon?
Suggestions appreciated

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 11 November 2017, 01:01:21 »
Yes, they are Omni, but they are way better than APCs.

Keep your Epona A and C.

A has TAG, 2x LRM-20
C Has TAG, ECM and a ER PPC

Nasty combo is combine both points together, one each. A and C per Point, x2 + Toads!

In this case if you went with:
You could add another Star of IIC/ Klondike  to reflect a Binary with Tank support. Even going as far as saying they are being transported by a Lion WD dropper. The Binary of BA is being tagged along by a Sassanid, with maybe a Carrier to assign a Aero Star for support.

Lion WD carries 10 mechs, 12 tanks... 2 being that Huey/Mars A4 support.

I use these a lot.  >:D

TT

Wait, you are saying add IICs/Klondike(what does that mean, like Battlemechs such as the Black Python or maybe a Thunder Stallion)?  Is that a totally separate Star?

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #27 on: 11 November 2017, 02:16:30 »
Hail Trothkin!
This is all very helpful. My campaign has almost made its way to Operation Scour and I was thinking of assigning my mercs to the Marik front, which includes Hella Horses’ contribution to the Coalition; the 91st Mechanised.

Any tips for building this storied cluster? I was thinking Elemental and infantry heavy? Some vehicles for fast striking/recon?
Suggestions appreciated

Well, here's what we know about the 91st:

- They're a Mechanized Assault Cluster, so they'll have mostly heavy/assault 'Mechs and tanks
- They use both Elementals and conventional infantry
- They're four Trinaries in strength, rather than the usual five (at least in FM: CC)
- The Galaxy they hail from specializes in close-quarters combat and defensive warfare, and regularly makes use of artillery support

Based on that, I'd say do Trinaries Alpha and Beta as a pair of heavy/assault 'Mech Trinaries with OmniMech Novas as the command Stars and secondline 'Mechs for the other two Stars, a tank/PBI Supernova as Trinary Gamma, and then a heavy ASF Trinary for Delta.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 11 November 2017, 02:27:00 »
Why secondline Mechs? Isn’t Alpha Galaxy the Clan’s elite force?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 11 November 2017, 02:32:47 »
The 91st Mechanized looks like they fell under Epsilon Galaxy, a Hell's Horses Defense force.