Author Topic: In the Dark Age, would clans still use the EI?  (Read 2117 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
In the Dark Age, would clans still use the EI?
« on: 02 February 2018, 17:14:09 »
If so, who'd benefit from it most? Or have they lost that tech? Would the Society use it?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: In the Dark Age, would clans still use the EI?
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2018, 17:24:34 »
The EI has always been somewhat niche thing. Only the most fanatical (or craziest, or both) Clanners use it. Arguably both Wolves and Jade Falcons have quite driven mindset during the Dark Age, so i figure those two Clans have some users, though probably not many.
I doubt Ghost Bears or SharkFoxes really use them. The latter probably do produce them for sale, or at least retain the plans in case someone is interested.
But do note that Ravens and Hell's Horses still use ProtoMechs, so the system survives certainly among them, if no one else.

Note that if SharkFoxes really do sell EIs, i'd imagine one could find the system even among Spheroids, if there's someone willing to use it. There is no canon source indicating this is the case, just my speculation.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2018, 17:30:21 »
There are several mentions of Clan characters using EI in the MWDA dossiers and other sources. This includes both Clan-born individuals and Republic Wolves and Nova Cats. So it's fair to say that it's still in use.

If you wanted to go from a pure rules perspective, there's  noting in ER3145 that prevents characters from taking the "Enhanced Imaging" quality.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Auberan

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2018, 17:47:41 »
It is one of the key parts of the Clan's version of the interface cockpit as well, so we know Hell's Horses and Wolf both are currently using it, and Snow Raven probably is too.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2018, 18:00:48 »
So EI in a AS game.... wonders now... hmm... ( Gonna have to chance it in a game, unless you have any results? )

Besides that, would the El Scorpio use it, even though their not much of a clan?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2018, 18:33:51 »
So EI in a AS game.... wonders now... hmm... ( Gonna have to chance it in a game, unless you have any results? )

Besides that, would the El Scorpio use it, even though their not much of a clan?

TT

Weren't the Goliath Scorpions those guys that thought that good warriors don't need technological assistance? If so, i'd say they've always been unlikely to use EI in the first place.
And given that what they've been reduced has trouble producing Clan-spec stuff (or limited capacity anyway) and is producing improved Spheroid equipment instead, them retaining EI seems unlikely. They probably have the blueprints but no capability for producing it at best.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2018, 18:51:08 »

Given that we don't know anything at all about Escorpio Imperio after 3090, asking if they use EI is kind of irrelivant.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2018, 19:02:36 »
We know they produce "improved Spheroid equipment" that the Clans created as a stopgap before they created full Clan-spec technology.
This reduction in technological capability implies EI is no longer in their grasp in practice.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2018, 20:04:16 »
Considering that the Jade Falcons and (part) of the Hell's Horses subscribe to the Mongol Doctrine, which seemingly has "victory at any cost" as a central tenet, I'm sure they wouldn't think twice about EI. As already noted, the Horses and Ravens still use ProtoMechs, so they're guaranteed  to still utilize it, as do the Wolves for their aforementioned interface system. The Bears seem to be more in favor of C3i-enabled mass-murder machines of late for their technology bent, so they and the Foxes are the two I'd have trouble seeing EI still in use with.

As far as the Sea Foxes selling it goes, I recall fluff in maybe the Satyr XP that states Clan medicine was still firmly of the opinion that EI technology would kill or drive insane any Spheroid being so-enhanced. So even if they did sell it, I don't think they'd get much repeat business.  >:D
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2018, 21:07:59 »
The Ghost Bear C3i project has almost certainly stopped. At least until we get futher XTRO Republic/Clans... In any event, even though Ghost Bears may have been willing to experiment with it, i doubt they'd go for adopting it really. At least not until they've seen others use the tech enough.

I'll note that even though ProtoMech using factions have EI, this does not mean they utilize it outside Protos. As warrior mentalities go, i feel like neither Horses nor Ravens are the type to use EI. Falcons? Sure. Wolves? Maybe. Ghost Bears? Too conservative. Mongol Horses, maybe, but i doubt other Horses are big on EI.

SharkFoxes undoubtedly conduct cost-effectiveness analysis and figure that EI probably isn't worth it.
As for selling it, while the opinion may be that it won't work for Spheroids, i doubt they have any issue selling a kit and lifetime supply of meds provided someone forks over the cash.

In any case, the Clans are probably mistaken about EI not working for Spheroids properly, unless it really depends on specific genes found on all Clan tankborn warriors. Which seems unlikely, and even then you probably can find people who carry the same genes thanks to shared ancestry and thus EI should work for them.
Not surprised at the Clans being mistaken though, they have somewhat weak grasp on sciences at times.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2018, 01:54:44 »
I'll note that even though ProtoMech using factions have EI, this does not mean they utilize it outside Protos. As warrior mentalities go, i feel like neither Horses nor Ravens are the type to use EI. Falcons? Sure. Wolves? Maybe. Ghost Bears? Too conservative. Mongol Horses, maybe, but i doubt other Horses are big on EI.

As I said above, there's stated incidences of Clan characters using EI in the Dark Age Era.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2018, 02:38:41 »
Also don't forget that the EI has kind of evolved into the Interface armour that we're no doubt going to see more of in the future.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/