Author Topic: Let me sing the praises of the Morrigu (Laser)  (Read 2356 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Let me sing the praises of the Morrigu (Laser)
« on: 02 March 2018, 02:01:59 »
I am so glad this vehicle did not stay exclusive to the Blood Spirits and the SharkFoxes were selling it in the Inner Sphere.

Using it in a escalation tournament as my one high-tech unit . . . and its been interesting watching folks deal with it sitting on a hill top with mostly clear LOS.  Punching out three ten point hits a turn has been brutal, its regularly delivered the damage and forced opponents to move to avoid it.  Out of four games, its only been killed once (opponent went all in to kill it) and the other three game so far the armor has barely been scratched.  My second game with it, the opponent took 3 hits at 15 hexes along with other fire to add up to damage in the 50s.  Two of the hits bared the arm on his Stalker which sent it and his other two mechs moving away from the firing position of the Morrigu.  I end up having to drive off the firing point to try chasing down his fleeing survivors.

My fourth game it hammered the advancing Thunderbolt and Charger, stripping away the arms on the Thunderbolt before wrecking the LRM torso.  It then switched fire to the Charger, punching it for the later SRM swarm to find a ammo bin (boom).  It then kept up a steady long range barrage as the Thunderbolt tried to retreat.

Its a lovely Schrek IIC even if it does not have ERPPCs, with a BV of 1324 it compares with a light Clan mech but has more armor- particularly over 50 points in the nose.  I have not used the Std, but the BV goes up and it loses some of the direct punch.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Re: Let me sing the praises of the Morrigu (Laser)
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2018, 19:16:12 »
Thanks for the suggestion! The model seems very large is that the case?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2018, 23:09:48 »
Not sure as I have not seen it next to anything for scale, but it is hard to imagine it being worse than the Warden Wolf's Heimdall which is nearly as tall as some of the AS Lance Pack mediums & lights.

I used a MWDA DI Morgan as the proxy.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2018, 10:02:23 »
Oh yeah. Morrigus are evil anyway, but that one is just so simple and brutal in particular, it's a sin. A point of those holding a hill is just miserable- motive hits kill tanks, but they're already where they want to be so they don't care. They're armored pretty well, so it takes a while to beat them apart- and they start firing at you at ranges you probably can't effectively respond at, and hit better firing brackets sooner as a result. It's awful. Really want to have some joy in your life? Go hull-down with them too- just be ready to not be allowed back at your local gaming table.

Morrigus- the standard model- were frequent testing opponents for me when I ran the VotW column, being a big, nasty Clan long-range tank meant that it gave a great challenge to other beefy units for testing- in particular they featured in testing for the Pixiu and Sekhmet, I remember both of those in particular. Sekhmets matched up well thanks to the big pulse lasers. Pixius... not so much, that stealth armor was no match for accurate long-range Clan laser fire, and the reply Gauss shots had a hell of a time breaking through.

Make no mistake- the Spirits developed one of the great long-range fire support vehicles in Battletech. And lightning struck not once, but twice, because both versions are absolute nightmares.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2018, 10:56:36 »
These things were made to have a Nova CEWS build into them. A network with, say, a Donar and two Morrigu (Laser) would be pretty evil.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2018, 14:28:46 »
These things were made to have a Nova CEWS build into them. A network with, say, a Donar and two Morrigu (Laser) would be pretty evil.

Man, you aren't kidding. Not sure where to pull the weight from, but worth a look at the very least. I like the idea, it's sick and wrong.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2018, 20:15:13 »
Try a HAG and a Standard in a Point... evil incarnate!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2018, 21:39:44 »
Man, you aren't kidding. Not sure where to pull the weight from, but worth a look at the very least. I like the idea, it's sick and wrong.

Make it XL . . . the thing has plenty of tweak room.

I am using a single one for a tournament . . . after round one where everyone had to face it, in round two most people are staying on the other side of the map from it or running to be behind masking terrain (random maps have had less open centers in Rnd 2 . . . ).  One opponent ran away when it hit with all 3 cERLL, two on the same arm of his Stalker, which was nearly half of the 70 points it took that turn . . . pristine to heavily damaged in a single turn.  It only got killed once but it cost the other person their whole force . . . everyone else just stays away and chucks a few LRMs.

After this tournament I am going to have to leave it sitting on the shelf for a bit to be nice.  But its working its way into my random Clan force with the Phantom H.
Colt Ward

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2018, 21:51:43 »
Snag a HAG variant to spice things up... drops the ERLLs for a HAG-40! Gives better than you think.

But I agree holy terror at range!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2018, 22:37:24 »
Nah, I am a big cERLL fan . . . I have already displayed the might of the Stooping Hawk C (Is that that Hawk thing with lasers?).
Colt Ward

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2018, 08:38:10 »
I admit I don't like switching to an XL, but mostly because we know the Spirits' penchant for frugality in their units. I suppose a Society refit might utilize resources differently though, so there's something to be said for it.

+Crow T. Robot+

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2018, 14:33:12 »
I admit I don't like switching to an XL, but mostly because we know the Spirits' penchant for frugality in their units. I suppose a Society refit might utilize resources differently though, so there's something to be said for it.
Adding to the list....
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2018, 14:39:02 »
Adding to the list....

...Not entirely sure what you mean there.

+Crow T. Robot+