Author Topic: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread  (Read 181069 times)

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
Re: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread
« Reply #900 on: 03 January 2024, 15:09:23 »
I just had thoughts on that.

Son Hoa was, until it got trashed, a major production line of Highlander mechs. It's also a short distance from Niops. What if, and it's a huge hail mary, that Niops procurement agents went to Son Hoa and tried to acquire as much scrap from that thrashed production line as possible in order to help cobble together a new production line? And just imagine what other treasures they can scrape up from the Son Hoa factory.

Also, by 3135 Son Hoa's an independent world, no longer under the thumb of the Lyrans. That might make the planet more accessible to third parties.

I thought of writing a story about it. Have them make a shell company specializing in salvage as a front to funnel potential working parts back to Niops. It would make for an interesting espionage kind of adventure.

Son Hoa´s Starcorp facility is producing the Highlander, and a pletora of other mechs.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

D-Rock

• Corporal
  • "I'm sure a profound statement belongs here..."
« Reply #901 on: 03 January 2024, 15:28:38 »
Son Hoa´s Starcorp facility is producing the Highlander, and a pletora of other mechs.

The snag being 75% of it got trashed by the Word of Blake. But still, that's something to work off of.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #902 on: 03 January 2024, 16:11:01 »
The snag being 75% of it got trashed by the Word of Blake. But still, that's something to work off of.

In 3151 Starcorps has already rebuilt much of what was damaged and moved other production to Loxley I believe.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #903 on: 03 January 2024, 17:37:14 »

In 3151 Starcorps has already rebuilt much of what was damaged and moved other production to Loxley I believe.

True.  Rec Guide 10 has Star Corps of Son Hoa producing both the Hermit Crab and the HGN-740 Highlander, the former of which are fantastic light 'Mechs, the latter of which is a beast of an assault 'Mech, so at the very least they've reopened their Highlander line and built a new line for the Hermit Crab.

I can't get Masterunitlist to load right now, but MegaMekLab shows 3115 for the HGN-740, and 3108 for the Hermit Crab variants.  Between the two, Son Hoa's local garrison must be fierce to face.  Heck, they even make the St. Florian FireMech, which is basically a civilian Highlander.

Neither of them are domestic production, but certainly the kind of 'Mechs Niops would be lining up to buy as budget permits.

I just had thoughts on that.

Son Hoa was, until it got trashed, a major production line of Highlander mechs. It's also a short distance from Niops. What if, and it's a huge hail mary, that Niops procurement agents went to Son Hoa and tried to acquire as much scrap from that thrashed production line as possible in order to help cobble together a new production line? And just imagine what other treasures they can scrape up from the Son Hoa factory.

Also, by 3135 Son Hoa's an independent world, no longer under the thumb of the Lyrans. That might make the planet more accessible to third parties.

I thought of writing a story about it. Have them make a shell company specializing in salvage as a front to funnel potential working parts back to Niops. It would make for an interesting espionage kind of adventure.

That would be pretty neat, actually.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #904 on: 03 January 2024, 18:19:12 »
Neat indeed! :)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #905 on: 28 January 2024, 02:43:16 »
what could make for an interesting Niops specific variant might be if they got the bits from the highlander production line.. and the line for the St. florian industrial mech? and then cobbled both together with any tooling left from the old workshops, and managed to produce a Primitive technology version Highlander?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #906 on: 28 January 2024, 03:28:22 »
what could make for an interesting Niops specific variant might be if they got the bits from the highlander production line.. and the line for the St. florian industrial mech? and then cobbled both together with any tooling left from the old workshops, and managed to produce a Primitive technology version Highlander?

A 2/3/2 Primitive Highlander would use a 220-rating engine, same as the Prowler Explorer Vehicle, and with maximum primitive armor would leave you with 41 tons available to really pile on the weaponry.

On a separate note, I had a thought on the "What MUL list should Niops players look to in the ilClan era?" question, for those sticking to canon units and playing games where MUL selection is important.

Go with the Pirate list.

The Pirate list is described on the MUL as "Equipment typically used by pirate bands and small bandit polities."  Niops may not be a bandit kingdom per se, but in terms of practicality, that's probably what they most closely resemble.

The Periphery General list, meanwhile, is listed as being for:

• Dark Age: Calderon Protectorate, Filtvelt Coalition, Fronc Reaches, Magistracy of Canopus, Marian Hegemony, Pirates, Taurian Concordat.
  • ilClan: Calderon Protectorate, Filtvelt Coalition, Fronc Reaches, Magistracy of Canopus, Marian Hegemony, Pirates, Taurian Concordat.

That's very specific.

Meanwhile, the Pirate list still has the BL-6-KNT, both the 732 and 740 models of the Highlander, plus a variety of Urbies and Panthers, and even the VLK-QA Valkyrie, for light troopers.  For vehicles there are Prowlers aplenty, and while you lose the Burke, you gain the Schrek, and the "OmniSpad" Issedone is available for aerospace fighters.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2024, 03:42:02 by Giovanni Blasini »
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #907 on: 28 January 2024, 04:51:22 »
A 2/3/2 Primitive Highlander would use a 220-rating engine, same as the Prowler Explorer Vehicle, and with maximum primitive armor would leave you with 41 tons available to really pile on the weaponry.
or you could stick to the 3/5/3 movement and give it weaponry closer to the succession war HGN-733 or HGN-733P. and iirc you can use standard armor with primitives?
playing around with megameklab, if you use a plasma rifle with 20 shots, an LRM20 with 12 shot, 2ML, and downgrade the SRM to a 4pack with 25 shots, you can fit 15.5 tons of standard armor and 12 SHS onto a 3/5/3 primitive chassis. or use a PPC for the arm gun and fit 13 shs
« Last Edit: 28 January 2024, 04:53:03 by glitterboy2098 »

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #908 on: 20 February 2024, 11:51:17 »
I think I'll still stick to classic Star League Regulars mech list. It's a safe bet. It covers the basics and doesn't go into too-broke 'Royal' territory.

The Son Hoa heist story's on hold. I'm thinking now about the continuation of the Carmichael family. I'm guessing at this point Alicia Carmichael is the Niops equivalent of Benedict Arnold in their history books? I'd like to see someone in that clan redeem the family name.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #909 on: 20 February 2024, 15:56:40 »
or you could stick to the 3/5/3 movement and give it weaponry closer to the succession war HGN-733 or HGN-733P. and iirc you can use standard armor with primitives?
playing around with megameklab, if you use a plasma rifle with 20 shots, an LRM20 with 12 shot, 2ML, and downgrade the SRM to a 4pack with 25 shots, you can fit 15.5 tons of standard armor and 12 SHS onto a 3/5/3 primitive chassis. or use a PPC for the arm gun and fit 13 shs

MegaMekLab is being argumentative about fitting anything other than Primitive armor to a Primitive 'Mech, even set in 3145 with the "Inner Sphere Mixed" chassis option.  Looking at the errata for Interstellar Operations, it looks like the option to use non-primitive armor on Primitive units was dropped.

With that in mind, I did come up with something I spun up in a new thread, using some of those suggestions, plus a couple tweaks.  Figure people can post their own ideas there if they like, without the mods getting irritated at us.

I think I'll still stick to classic Star League Regulars mech list. It's a safe bet. It covers the basics and doesn't go into too-broke 'Royal' territory.

For most of their time period, I think Star League General and/or Terran Hegemony works fine.  During the Jihad, with things in Niops getting, um..."spicy", there are options to mix it up a bit, though.

• Jihad: Switch to the Word of Blake list, representing a combination of battlefield salvage, plus the existing designs they already fielded, which were pretty much on that list already
  • Early Republic: We're in full "Fallout: Niops" now, with the Republic and FWL rump states reportedly deploying forces to try to stablize the system.  The Pirate list doesn't make for a bad one to represent this general period of lawlessness amongst the locals.
  • Late Republic:  OK, Niops has a government again, but oversight by the Republic of the Sphere, and is buying directly from their neighbors.  I'd say "Periphery General" would be the most appropriate list for new 'Mech acquisitions during this era.
  • Dark Age / ilClan:  The Republic is gone, FWL is back doing their own thing, and Niops has signed on with Interstellar Expeditions on long-term projects.  Oddly enough, this is when the Mercenary list is probably most appropriate, since a lot of their new incoming 'Mechs would be purchased using IE's contacts.  This is also one of the most diverse lists, offering up a variety of tech, ranging from old SLDF 'Mechs to a smattering of Clan tech.

The Son Hoa heist story's on hold. I'm thinking now about the continuation of the Carmichael family. I'm guessing at this point Alicia Carmichael is the Niops equivalent of Benedict Arnold in their history books? I'd like to see someone in that clan redeem the family name.

That would be a neat idea for a story.

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #910 on: 17 April 2024, 11:03:56 »

My latest additions to my Niopian Forces!

(Just don't ask where they got the Spartan from...)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #911 on: 17 April 2024, 13:28:40 »

My latest additions to my Niopian Forces!

(Just don't ask where they got the Spartan from...)

Fell off the back of a DropShip?

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #912 on: 17 April 2024, 14:09:29 »
Fell off the back of a DropShip?

Funny, it doesn't look like it's been blasted by relativistic fusion plasma at any point in the past  :cheesy:

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #913 on: 17 April 2024, 15:08:37 »
Funny, it doesn't look like it's been blasted by relativistic fusion plasma at any point in the past  :cheesy:

That's what they want you to believe...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #914 on: 17 April 2024, 18:00:13 »
Better: "Niops can fix that!" ;D

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #915 on: 17 April 2024, 21:28:17 »
The Spartsn is such an underrated design.  It fits in with the general lostech vibe of Niops, especially if they managed to get one from whatever was left of the Blackheart Roses.

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #916 on: 18 April 2024, 10:39:26 »
The Spartsn is such an underrated design.  It fits in with the general lostech vibe of Niops, especially if they managed to get one from whatever was left of the Blackheart Roses.

That's the assumption I'm operating under. Who's the say one or both Spartans the BHR's owned weren't in the Project Workshops at the time? That, and pre-Jihad I wouldn't be surprised if they had a couple themselves.

Only problem is my army lacks a proper Arrow IV platform. Any suggestions that's within the SLDF era? Otherwise I could field it as the SPT-NF, as it was introduced just when Niops went dark.

UPDATE: I could potentially field either the Padilla or the Chaparral for Arrow IV platforms. That would make sense for Niops, right?
« Last Edit: 18 April 2024, 15:03:33 by D-Rock »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #917 on: 18 April 2024, 17:32:52 »
I don't see why not... :)

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #918 on: 18 April 2024, 17:50:46 »
The Chapparal was the first thing that came to my mind when you said Arrow IV.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #919 on: 19 April 2024, 02:45:52 »
The Chapparal was the first thing that came to my mind when you said Arrow IV.

That was my thought as well.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #920 on: 20 April 2024, 00:31:25 »
Why not a triple of Vali? Could add a pair of TAV-1s as well with Heavy Tracked APC support and Infantry.

TT
« Last Edit: 20 April 2024, 00:34:05 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #921 on: 21 April 2024, 19:14:15 »
Thought never occurred to me, probably because I’m more familiar with TR2750.

D-Rock

• Corporal
« Reply #922 on: 22 April 2024, 10:17:59 »
Why not a triple of Vali? Could add a pair of TAV-1s as well with Heavy Tracked APC support and Infantry.

TT

I suppose I could, but only the Arrow IV for armament makes it vulnerable. Giving it APC and infantry support also means tying up valuable personnel dedicated to its protection. I think the Chaparral is a better option. The Padilla would be ideal, but that might get pricy.

Register