Author Topic: Which affiliation uses Dutch?  (Read 3941 times)

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
Which affiliation uses Dutch?
« on: 11 March 2013, 16:21:54 »
Please, can anyone tell me which faction in BT uses Dutch as primary or secondary language? I only know of the Terran affiliation.

Nerroth

• Captain
Re: Which affiliation uses Dutch?
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2013, 16:34:16 »
There seems to be a Dutch influence on the Hansa world of Antwerp (as detailed in Objectives: Periphery), but Dutch isn't listed as one of the League's secondary languages.

Perhaps a character from Antwerp (or one or two other Hansa worlds) might be more likely to speak Dutch, but the overall numbers of Dutch-speakers in the League may not be high enough to show up on a "national" scale.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2013, 17:46:35 »
+1 to what Nerroth said.

I'd look for planets with Dutch names... they were likely settled by the Dutch and could plausibly be said to speak Dutch there locally as their primary language, no matter what realm it lies in.

As an example off the top of my head, a character from New Capetown probably speaks Afrikaans as his native tongue despite it being a Lyran Commonwealth planet and Afrikaans not showing as a secondary language for that faction.  Probably also has had substantial exposure to Dutch, as well.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2013, 17:48:21 by Tai Dai Cultist »

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2013, 20:07:10 »
I found a few possible planets with Dutch populations.

Confirmed Dutch:
-Utrecht, which is a Lyran/Combine/FRR/Ghost Bear planet.
-Zoetermeer, a Lyran/Falcons/Wolves/Horses planet.

Possibly Dutch:
-Kessel, which could be a reference to half a dozen things and nationalities. Lyran/Combine/RotS planet.
-Dieron (might be a bastardization of Dieren), ofc a Hegemony/Combine/RotS planet.
-Hoonaar, might be derived from Hoornar (Netherlands) but could also be Hoonar (Iran), a FedSuns/Malgrotta(lol) planet.
-Flushing (English name for Vlissingen, it's a stretch, but still possible), a FedSuns planet.

I'd say most Dutch are concentrated in the Lyran Commonwealth and Clan OZs, with possible populations in the Combine and Federated Suns. Like the others said, an argument could easily be made for a few Dutch to be found in the Hanseatic League as well.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2013, 06:24:52 »
Thank you all! This helps me.  O0

Orion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2013, 15:50:37 »
And there's always the choice to declare a planet as being Dutch, just because you want it to be so.  Might be the planet was named after the astronomer that found it first, the wealthy financier that put together the first colonization attempt, or the captain of the first exploratory ship to survey the system.  No different really from naming all the streets in a town - after you get through the obvious names (Oak, Elm, main, market, etc) you start pulling the names out of a hat, or throwing darts at a map on the wall.

Game mechanics are a way of resolving questions in play, not explanations of the world itself.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2013, 16:29:56 »
The nice thing about battletech is that the planet names are drawn from nearly every place and nationality.

For example, I'm a Canadian/Quebecer. There's a little-Ontario/western Quebec in the Lyran Commonwealth, along with a little-Quebec/Nova Scotia in the FWL. It's nice to be able to look at a map and figure out where your descendants could have ended up if Btech was real.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2013, 15:48:29 »
My house rule has been that if you want to say your character has a certain ethnic background, find a way to justify it, and pay a moderate cost. The Inner Sphere is big enough that any group could end up anywhere.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2013, 17:40:30 »
My house rule has been that if you want to say your character has a certain ethnic background, find a way to justify it, and pay a moderate cost. The Inner Sphere is big enough that any group could end up anywhere.

This so many times over.

Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Garner

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2013, 15:24:59 »

By your own reasoning, I would say that you don't need to pay a moderate 'cost' for an ethnic background. Either the GM can rule to replace a cannon primary/secondary language because you grew up on a particular world/neighbourhood/household, or if you imagine the character is a polyglot by nature then I would say buy the home language as an extra skill - and even if you bought it with flexible XP from a stage 4 life module, I'd think you could retcon it to be the language you grew up with at home.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2013, 16:52:13 »
By your own reasoning, I would say that you don't need to pay a moderate 'cost' for an ethnic background. Either the GM can rule to replace a cannon primary/secondary language because you grew up on a particular world/neighbourhood/household, or if you imagine the character is a polyglot by nature then I would say buy the home language as an extra skill - and even if you bought it with flexible XP from a stage 4 life module, I'd think you could retcon it to be the language you grew up with at home.

+1. This is the route I tend to go. I also allow a switch out of other skills, just like the language, if it makes sense for it to be part of the culture.

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2013, 04:11:03 »
I am not sure but check out the Periphery state the Hanseatic League .

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 04 April 2013, 17:03:56 »
The Jihad-era, short-lived Malagrotta Cooperative (in the FedSuns Outback) is probably Dutch-styled to some extent, and includes the previously mentioned Hoonaar.

Their leader has the title Voorzitter, and if that's not Dutch-y sounding, then I don't know what is.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 04 April 2013, 20:02:24 »
The Jihad-era, short-lived Malagrotta Cooperative (in the FedSuns Outback) is probably Dutch-styled to some extent, and includes the previously mentioned Hoonaar.

Their leader has the title Voorzitter, and if that's not Dutch-y sounding, then I don't know what is.

Yep. It means "chairman/manager" or possibly even "president" in Dutch

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 04 April 2013, 21:09:40 »

Huh, TIL. I know nothing about Malagrotta except that they got wiped out by pirates.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 04 April 2013, 21:38:18 »
They really didn't last long enough to get much written about them. That said, they were kinda interesting - issuing Letters of Marque, etc to hunt down pirates

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Register