Author Topic: Extended Range Gauss Rifle  (Read 232 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
Extended Range Gauss Rifle
« on: 15 May 2024, 06:25:21 »
this is something that came to me lately, a IS tech weapon meant to have longer range while still hitting like a feight train. Drawbacks include double heat, 9 crit slots and HGR weight.

ER Gauss Rifle:
Heat: 2
Damage: 15
Range: 2/8/17/25
Tonnage: 18
Crits: 9

Notes:
Explodes on if critically hit.
Generates plasma at short range when fired.
-1 to-hit modifier on all range brackets.

So what you think, need tweaking or is it fine as is?

Charistoph

• Major
Re: Extended Range Gauss Rifle
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2024, 10:21:44 »
Where to start...

Heat is fine, and to be expected.

Range is probably fine, but it could be a little longer.  You're just giving +1 S, +2 M, and +3 Long.  That doesn't justify the mass when the HGR is the hardest hitting weapon for the same weight.

Mass-wise, most ER weapons don't increase in weight when going ER, however, Gauss weapons are a little bit different, and increasing Heat by 100% really doesn't amount to much over all.  It's a good way to address it.

Crits is probably just 1 point too much unless you want to force no Hands while carrying this in the Arm.  True, in most cases when a Gauss Rifle is in the Arm they usually leave the Hand off, but it isn't required with the standard Gauss Rifle.  8 would probably work here.

How much does it explode for when critically hit?  It should be more than a Gauss Rifle, but not as much as the HGR.  The increase in damage should coincide with the increase in range.

What does, "generates plasma at short range when fired", mean?  Anything in Short Range gets D6 Heat or equivalent Damage?  No other Gauss weapon does this, so unless you're literally adding Plasma foam Ammo to it, there is no reason to include this.

To-Hit modifier should not be there.  All other To-Hit modified weapons are due to being mult-shot/multi-fired weapons (i.e. Pulse and Cluster).  The "To-Hit Modifier" of ER weapons comes from  putting more room where the different Range modifiers are engaged.  If anything, we've seen To-Hit modifiers be worsened with ER weapons more than improved (see Clan ER Pulse weapons being -1 instead of -2).
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2024, 13:01:32 »
So its a more damaging Light gauss effectively.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2024, 19:12:19 »
Yeah, I was thinking the LGR was the "ER" Gauss Rifle... :/

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2024, 02:18:17 »
I think instead of the hit penalty, add back the HGR's piloting skill from recoil.  The recoil from firing a standard shell faster, versus the larger HGR shell slower, would be the same pretty much.

Other then that, I think the ER gauss idea is pretty solid, using the LGR's range with the HGR's energy to get headcapping 15 at longer range.

AngryButler with a KNIFE!

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2024, 09:50:30 »
I'm a little late to this discussion but...

While I haven't done it myself, I have run into someone using a homebrew Inner Sphere 'Extended' Gauss that used hollowed out scramjet rounds to get a further range boost that had it equal to, including the minimum range, a Clan LB-2X's range brackets. Downside was it being one ton heavier/no extra crits, and that the ammo exploded as if each one was a AC5 round (so 5dmg per remaining Extended Gauss round in the bin). Same number of rounds per ton, and the Rifle itself still exploded for 15dmg.
I love my Wiesel XII. Yes, yes I do.