Author Topic: The Wolf Empire: Our Khan Beat Devlin Stone in a Savage Wolf! Buy Savage Wolves!  (Read 198935 times)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
I had no hand in the Domi whatsoever, but to me it looks like a non-omni that can fill the Linebacker's "Fat Medium" role in 2nd line forces. The speed & jets should let it keep up with some of the faster/lighter stuff. The weapons will lay a hurt on the smaller guys and its armor should help it stick around.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

SteveRestless

• Major
I had no hand in the Domi whatsoever, but to me it looks like a non-omni that can fill the Linebacker's "Fat Medium" role in 2nd line forces.

Tech Readout at the back lists the Domi as an Omni.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Really? My copy doesn't. The last sentence before the Deployment section reads: "Trading firepower for protection gives this second-line BattleMech..."

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
It also says Config: Biped OmniMech.
I’m fairly sure the Config line is the error.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2020, 06:49:05 by nckestrel »
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Thank you, now I see it. Considering there were a bunch of rank mixups for Marrota, I'm going to agree with you and assume it is an error.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
'Wolf designed Griffin C' . . . question is, did they built it off the Griffin 3M or 5M?  I would guess it is like the Orion C and Longinus C which would come off Kalidasa (and the BA also off Stewart maybe) . . . though the Griffin 3M had been built on Keystone, it was one of the in-active lines for Obj Raids FWL.

A 5/8/5 with either a Clan ERPPC & LRM20 or a Clan Gauss Rifle, 2 ERML and a LRM15 or bigger, its a very solid medium for filling out secondline forces that have Tundra Wolves, Blood Reapers, Orion C, and IS med salvage.

Also, the story implies- with all the mechs sent as gifts being new in primer gray- that the Crusader Wolves are building Linebackers, or at least someone is so they could buy it from the Foxes new.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
A shame if it isn't an Omni, there are a few really irritating issues that could be fixed with an easy repod.  Of course, being able to change more than that for a new variant is also a good option.

The 65-ton 5/8 Omni role is veeeeeery limited in 3150.  You have:

Ebon Jaguar (no longer in production)
Crossbow (Raven exclusive in Dark Age)
Karhu (Dominion exclusive)
Hellbringer (no longer in production)

That's it, that's the list.  Throwing that entire weight class on the mercy of attrition strikes me as a not great idea.

If the Dominator lived up to its 3K BV price tag I'd even call it a solid design, but it hits multiple bad breakpoints for BV without hitting any good ones.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Alaric Ward sent the Dragoons-

Command Lance
Tundra Wolf 4
Timber Wolf T (2 LRM racks, 3 ERSRL and something in arms)
maybe the 2nd Linebacker & Pack Hunter

Striker Lance
Blood Reaper
Linebacker E
Griffin C
Dominator

Warwolf
Wulfen A
Linebacker
Orion C
Goliath C- Gauss Rifle & MPL at least
Pack Hunter

Not a cheap gift . . . and what he sent was very 'Wolf' in their production- Linebacker & Timber Wolf dating to pre-Refusal and Pack Hunter tying in with the Wardens.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteveRestless

• Major
Also, the story implies- with all the mechs sent as gifts being new in primer gray- that the Crusader Wolves are building Linebackers, or at least someone is so they could buy it from the Foxes new.

Well, it could just be /rebuilt/ like so many DA mechs are. The Wolves likely have come into possession of some of the republic boneyards as they feast upon the republic's remaining territory.

I don't believe any linebacker production survived in the sphere, so if it IS newly built, my best bet is that VEST on solaris hand-built it for the wolves. Why anyone would go to those lengths for a Linebacker, I don't really know. Seems more likely to be freshly resurrected from a dead mech, than bespoke production.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
I have a character ready to go with Epsilon using League salvage, Lyran Isorla and some Wolf production crewed by a mix of trueborn Wolves, Clan freebirths, a Warden Wolf, Republic abathka, a few Horses, and some Wolf Empire freebirths.

Star Colonel Roland Vickers
     (1g/3p- random rolled veteran, SPA tbd on random roll)

Often described has a short Elemental though he does not have any Elemental genes mixed in that the Scientist caste will acknowledge, he feeds this image with a rigorous weightlifting and work-out regimen that plays to Mechwarrior biases of Elementals being mentally slow.  The camouflage lets him constantly surprise his opponents who underestimate his abilities when it comes to bidding in Trials.  As part of his cardio exercises Roland incorporates martial exercises using swordwork, particularly a hand & a half sword.  This started as part of his research into famous warriors with his name where he learned of Roland and Durendal.  He has named his Templar Omni Durendal to incorporate that story into his personal image, and regularly paints a sword with the Charlemagne shield on the shoulder guards. 

Being born into the Crusader Wolves, he did not plunge into endorsing the Crusader ideology that still prevails among the OZ Wolves.  When Malvina began her massacres in the Republic and later as Khan of the Falcons he began to argue they should reave her tainted genes from the Clans.  While not saying it outright, a lot of Roland’s arguments about taking action against Malvina were reminiscent of the Warden arguments of the preceding centuries.  While satisfied with his combat assignment into the Republic in ’43 Roland regretted not being on Tharkad when Malvina launched her co-invasion, though no actions were fought between her and the Wolves.

Several years later when the Wolves dropped on the Falcons who had invested Hesperus, Roland’s cluster participated as a reserve for Alpha Galaxy allowing him to carry his fight to the Falcon & Horse adherents of Malvina’s Mongol philosophy.  The 21st Wolf Guards took no Falcon bondsmen but did take several Horses as well as the isorla needed to increase the Clan tech rating.

Codex (Military History)
Graduated the sibko in 3131 (18)
First action was participating in the Trial of Possession for Colmar (3131) as a Star Commander in a Tundra Wolf
Various small actions ’32 to ’35 resulting in a transfer to the 4th Wolf Guards.
Fought on Nusakan in ‘37 as part of 4th Wolf Guards, a Star Commander with an Omni- Mad Dog III B
After the battle, Star Commander Roland participated in a Trial of Possession for an open Star Captain slot in the 4th- fought unaugmented.
Participated in the invasion of League space until he trialed for a Star Colonel slot in Epsilon Galaxy in late 3139 which he had to trade his Mad Dog III for a new Tundra Wolf
When the Wolves turned on the Lyrans, his plan for Epsilon’s actions relied on them breaking down into half clusters to quickly hit Lyran forces & depots.  During that time his cluster refit themselves with captured Lyran equipment which included some of Clan manufacture and IS Omnis.  Star Colonel Roland Vickers took as personal isorla a original Templar OmniMech for a Lyran Hauptman he claimed as a bondsmen.
Participated in saKhan’s attack into the Republic’s VIII Prefecture as part of cadre for the three sibko galaxies, particularly Zeta.
Reserve cluster for Alpha Galaxy’s attack on Hesperus against Falcon & Horse clusters.

Let us kill some Jade Falcons trothkin!
Colt Ward

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I'm still there story missing with Wolves accepting the surrender of New Earth to them by the Fidelis.  That mighty risky move for them to do with Clan Wolf if the figure out who they really are.  Clan life could come back again for the Fidelis. The scientists will figure it out sooner or later.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteveRestless

• Major
I'm still there story missing with Wolves accepting the surrender of New Earth to them by the Fidelis.  That mighty risky move for them to do with Clan Wolf if the figure out who they really are.  Clan life could come back again for the Fidelis. The scientists will figure it out sooner or later.

Well, it's a departure from the Rome Timeline where The Fidelis went "We are Clan Smoke Jaguar, and you shall not pass" except they were not Gandalf facing the Balrog, they were the swordsman from raiders of the lost ark, and like indy the Wolves just shot them after their fancy display and continued on over them

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
I wonder if the Dominator we got in the story was the experimental model, like the Mad Cat Mk IV PRs were the proof of design function before the Foxes were going to put on the Ferro-Lam and XXLs.

The model name does not hold to Clan conventions, making this seem like it could have been the conversion of a frame already under development by one of the big mech factories the Wolves took.  It also has 'X' in the model designation, something typically reserved for experimental designs by IS brands.  The POV PC talks about how it seems to be a well armored mech designed to deal with the Falcons new love of melee . . .

. . . with how advanced the Skinwalker is . . . and borrowing IS tech already like the Stealth Armor on the Wulfen . . . why not a TSM design to replicate the Executioner that has a supercharger?  You can get a very tough melee mech using Ferro-Lam, TSM, JJs, and Reinforced Structure while still giving it a glut of Clan energy weapons to keep up its +9 heat . . . and if the armor & choices are juggled properly, require a 3t TC.
Colt Ward

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
The Wolves still lack substantial OmniMech production capability. The Dominator nicely fills that by giving them a heavy Omni that lacks advanced components and can be readily put into mass production. Everything on it barring the Supercharger goes back to the mid-late 29th century.

Outside of the Domninator, the only other heavy Omni they produce is the Warwolf. That's a design with advanced tech (Reactive armour and more, depending on the config) and has so far been reserved for ristars and senior officers (and real Wolf heroes, like Marissa). The Dominator, conversely, could be the "low end" to the Warwoof's "boss monster". Otherwise, the Wolves are dependant on salvage, trade and Jihad (or older) veterans for their heavy Omnis.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Yeah . . . that was 3145 report by the Republic.  Meanwhile they have been building Orion Cs, Griffin Cs, and likely Goliath Cs along with Longinus Cs . . . They have worked out some trade with the Foxes, to the point the Foxes are shuttling Wolf envoys and troops around on Command Circuits.  The Foxes also ended up with a large cache of Clan materials from the dead Cats in beginning to mid '43- I cannot remember if it was weapons or industry they took from the Combine.  If weapons, it explains the surge of mixed tech designs coming out of the Wolves.  If industry, it would explain the upgrade of factories.  I would suggest the Wulfen was a more advanced design than the Warwolf, and a gage of their technical expertise with the mating of IS & Clan tech.

Tried to find the bit in the FM or ER where it talked about what happened.
Colt Ward

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Roland's personal ride . . . https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=69488.0 . . . working with what Epsilon captured to keep with the theme of the name.  Btw, since I left it out of the bio . . . anyone want to guess what he names the Templar?
Colt Ward

IronLichRich31

• Recruit
The Wolves still lack substantial OmniMech production capability. The Dominator nicely fills that by giving them a heavy Omni that lacks advanced components and can be readily put into mass production. Everything on it barring the Supercharger goes back to the mid-late 29th century.

Outside of the Domninator, the only other heavy Omni they produce is the Warwolf. That's a design with advanced tech (Reactive armour and more, depending on the config) and has so far been reserved for ristars and senior officers (and real Wolf heroes, like Marissa). The Dominator, conversely, could be the "low end" to the Warwoof's "boss monster". Otherwise, the Wolves are dependant on salvage, trade and Jihad (or older) veterans for their heavy Omnis.

Do we know that this is an omni for sure? The technical blurb says it is, but it has a lower arm actuator in the ppc arm.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Do we know that this is an omni for sure? The technical blurb says it is, but it has a lower arm actuator in the ppc arm.
From my understanding is Mr Pardoe designed this machine first and then Brett Evans helps with the rest of it. Maybe it's a mix of the two authors efforts and maybe they didn't quite catch everything. I got the impression that Goliath C was being operated by the dragoons so I didn't get the impression that it came from the Wolf Empire. It seem to me it was already part of the Dragoons.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
No, the Goliath C was operated by one of Crews 'rebels.'  Additionally, IIRC the Crusader Wolves also ended up with a Goliath factory.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Brigadier's plant on Oliver

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Brigadier's plant on Oliver

I admittedly haven't read the new book yet, but wouldn't Corean's factories on Stewart be the more likely culprit? Oliver's plants were probably converted like most of them over to IndustrialMech stuff during the Stone Age.

Edit: Just checked and Oliver hadn't been producing the Goliath in some time.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2020, 00:04:55 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Call it wishful thinking that the Goliath C would be based on the unseen model rather than a Phoenix one

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
Maybe the Dominator was intended as Omnimech, but due the need for producing more Mechs the Chassis was used for a BattleMech with hardwired equipment.
So later there could be an Omnimech using the chassis.
Would have been the first time.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
So, ilClan, huh? If that is the way it goes, AND PRETTY MUCH EVERY INDICATOR IS THAT IT IS, does it seem to anyone else that this was telegraphed, perhaps unintentionally since the original invasion.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
That it comes down to the Wolves & Falcons?  Perhaps . . .

I look forward to the epic battle, but we do not know who will win because there is a conflicting narrative thread that has been planted.
Colt Ward

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
The battle for IlClan may be a Pyrrhic victory for the winner.  The Call of Terra is also a Curse.  Everyone who has taken Terra throughout BT history gets destroyed sooner or later...
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

SteveRestless

• Major
While there's never any such thing as "too much" Omni production, the Wolves are producing

Light: Wulfen

Medium: Skinwalker

Heavy: Warwolf, Dominator(?)

Assault: Tomahawk II

Supplemented with Standard Battlemech production, and access to other chassis like the Savage Wolf via the Sea Foxes that's respectable. Especially when the Warwolf production is also a potential source of Timber Wolf spare parts (to refurbish and perpetuate old chassis) and the Tomahawk line is practically brother to the Dire Wolf in the same way.

The reason I wish it was a Medium, is that the Skinwalker is a very specialized, and probably rather rarified design given how much of a bloody gundam the thing is. But given the negative effects of Enhanced Imaging Surgery, there is a natural bottleneck on how many willing Skinwalker pilots you are going to have, no matter how awesome it is.

That said, I grow more and more comfortable with the idea of the Dominator as a Fat Medium, placed into medium roles.

(none of this is to say that I wouldn't love to see older omni designs resume production either. I find the idea of a mixed star of Timber Wolves, Warwolves and Gargoyles more appealing than a star of five Warwolves. I'd rather have a mixed star of Wulfens and Phantoms than a star of all Wulfens, and so on)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
After reading Mr Pardoe's blog. His Divided We Fall tip ice berger Clan Wolf rampage across the Inner Sphere! I hope anyways!

A side comment. Was there a Griffin C from the Clan Invasion Era? It's refitted BattleMech from back then right? I wasn't able find it on Mul or Sarna.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
There was a shadow hawk C but no griffin C to my knowledge

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Its 'new' . . . I hope they used the Griffin 3M rather than 5M though a -6S factory would not be a bad starting point.  Any of the 3 with Clan weapons is pretty solid, but the -6S LFE give it Clan XL like survivablity.
Colt Ward