Author Topic: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2  (Read 246142 times)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #300 on: 21 August 2016, 06:53:05 »
And unlike Houses/Clans with bigger fleets the loss of a single warship is a MAJOR loss for the Horses as they simply can't replace it.

They do have a shipyard... Butler system it can build Halcyon and Marathon classes
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #301 on: 21 August 2016, 07:24:21 »
Oh aye, but with their fleet being so small, a loss of a modern capital ship would be a huge loss for them that could take a long time to replace.  If they loose a Lola then oh well, she's basically obsolete and its not a major loss.  A Marathon/Halcyon is basically like an SSBN, its a strategic and vital asset to the Clan that is basically irreplaceable in the short term and a loss of one means you're down a major modern ship (and dropship hauler) for at least 2 years.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #302 on: 21 August 2016, 07:50:02 »
They do have a shipyard... Butler system it can build Halcyon and Marathon classes

What is the production time for warships classes?

Also how many production slips does the Butler yard have?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #303 on: 21 August 2016, 07:59:05 »
What is the production time for warships classes?

Also how many production slips does the Butler yard have?

I'm not an expert but I've gone with

4-6 years for the Battle-cruiser - to build then get her out of trials
2-4 years for the cruiser - same finish then trials

They can be rushed but that tends to lead to problems which I've had once or twice before.

Butler has 3 slips all capable of building either class
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #304 on: 21 August 2016, 08:03:35 »
I'm not an expert but I've gone with

4-6 years for the Battle-cruiser - to build then get her out of trials
2-4 years for the cruiser - same finish then trials

They can be rushed but that tends to lead to problems which I've had once or twice before.

Butler has 3 slips all capable of building either class

Cheers, thanks.

One last question, are those slips building now and if so what are they building?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #305 on: 21 August 2016, 08:07:18 »
Cheers, thanks.

One last question, are those slips building now and if so what are they building?

They've recently finished 1x Marathon and 2x Halcyon.  One slip is building another Halcyon.  While the other two are building JumpShips.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #306 on: 21 August 2016, 08:13:07 »
Did ya see this by the way as a possible thing for the Ponies? - http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=54057.0

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #307 on: 21 August 2016, 08:20:22 »
They've recently finished 1x Marathon and 2x Halcyon.  One slip is building another Halcyon.  While the other two are building JumpShips.

Ah right so they are building standard Jumpships at the same site, didn't realise that.

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #308 on: 21 August 2016, 11:23:03 »
So I kind of did a comparison how things "by the numbers" could go down.

Davion Fleet (this is the upper end of what they are likely to have in the area, and very likely will have smaller)
1 First Prince II
2 Avalon II
1 Whirlwind II
2 Congress II

CHH Fleet
1 Jade Lion
1 Halcyon
2 Marathons
2 Hakaze (I guestimated that BN wanted this to have max armor based on what he wrote, meaning it has 125 in all armor facings)

In a straight up knockdown brawl, these two fleets end up matching pretty well, the Hell's Horses have an advantage in firepower (upwards of 25% greater), while the SLDF has an advantage in armor and structure of nearly the same degree.  The rub here is that the Davion fleet has the ability to use Naval C3 on the First Prince II and the Whirlwind II (I didn't note it on any of the other classes, though there has been time to fit them if the Davion admiralty has decided to), considering this the Hell's Horses still have a firepower advantage, and the Whirlwind II has the least staying power of the Davion warships, and could very well be annihilated in short order by anything other than the Hakazes (which still have an advantage over the Whirlwind - they would just take longer to kill it).  They have near parity in Aerospace fighters and Small Craft, the HH happen to have 10 ASF more than the Davions, and that's it, clan tech weaponry here would give an advantage to the HH, but it would fairly minor and the actual aerospace classes would be more important.  Lastly, the number of dropship collars is also pretty even, with the Davions having only a single collar advantage - and this is one that can be made up pretty easily by any standard jumpship bringing in an extra dropship.

As I personally consider firepower to be a greater advantage than armor, I would have to say that overall, the Hell's Horses have a slight edge in this match up, but not one that is insurmountable, good tactics or bad luck could push the battle over the edge in the other direction.  And the Horses don't really have the warships to spare, so their losses would be more heavily felt than the Davion losses (though Davion losses could lead to a political shakeup on their side of the Sphere - "We lost 6 warships for virtually NOTHING!  Get the rest home NOW!").

As for how I would deal with the battlegroup's sudden appearance on my doorstep, I would attempt to lure them into a trap.  The Falcons are going to be chafing at their 2 years without battle, and to somewhat appease that, the Horses could trap the Davion Force into attacking a Falcon holding and fighting against their warships.  Other options include contracting a star of warships from the Ravens or Cats.

Edit: I should probably mention, I used damage at long range, it actually gets better for the HH if they get to medium by a couple percent.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #309 on: 21 August 2016, 13:09:46 »
Doesn't the 5th have two battleships? And anything that the Lyran's and SLDF can rustle up.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #310 on: 21 August 2016, 13:41:56 »
Doesn't the 5th have two battleships? And anything that the Lyran's and SLDF can rustle up.

Yes, but odds are (and it's been stated previously) that half the battlegroup will go to the SLDF's Wolf Front (the 5th was split into two task forces each led by one of the BBs).  When doing the analysis I did err though, I thought I had remembered that the Whirlwind was part of the FSS Rehnart Stener's task force, and it's actually the Davion III-class FSS Zibler.  That means that the naval C3 is out (at least on the official designs, though as mentioned, that could have been rectified), but potential damage increases if it gets to medium range (it remains pretty similar at long range) - it's not enough to overtake the HH's fleet but drops the percentage difference to less than 20%.

I specifically didn't include the LCAF's warship forces as I was just comparing the Davion task force to the HHs (I'll mention I also left out the York from the HH fleet), but they do have a number in the area, and at least 2 are Mjolnirs.  Combining the two forces, the Horses' fleet would be annihilated, though it wouldn't be entirely bloodless on the other side though.  And of course the is still talking about a straight up brawl, it's entirely possible that the Davion task force would have local superiority pretty much whenever it wants based on the idea that the HH fleet is not grouped together.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #311 on: 21 August 2016, 16:29:20 »
Draw the Horses into a trap; they think they're attacking a lightly defended logistics Base, only for a First Prince II and a pair of Mjolnir's with cruiser support. Catch them too far into the gravity well to just jump back out, and politely ask for their surrender.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #312 on: 22 August 2016, 01:40:13 »
JAB you really want to see your babies wipe out the HH.
I really feel sorry for the CHH when you finish with them.
At least for a few seconds. >:D

DC, a quick question for you.
Would the FS task force be allowed to do trials against the Falcons without breaking the truce.
Whittle down a BS or two. :D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #313 on: 22 August 2016, 01:50:57 »
Draw the Horses into a trap; they think they're attacking a lightly defended logistics Base, only for a First Prince II and a pair of Mjolnir's with cruiser support. Catch them too far into the gravity well to just jump back out, and politely ask for their surrender.

So Gorash 7 then :p

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #314 on: 22 August 2016, 02:54:59 »
So Gorash 7 then :p
Hopefully with more salvage.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #315 on: 22 August 2016, 16:56:07 »
So my update is delayed another day so quick answering of a couple of points

Did ya see this by the way as a possible thing for the Ponies? - http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=54057.0

I'll be using this a little bit in the next update and then extensively in a future update.

DC, a quick question for you.
Would the FS task force be allowed to do trials against the Falcons without breaking the truce.
Whittle down a BS or two. :D

If they turned up in Horse territory, and were hostile, then I guess fair game... just have to wait an see

As per the previous WarShip list update I've modded the Fifth Battle Group slightly - this includes which WarShips are working together for balance.  AFFS, LCAF, Mountain Wolf and SLDF naval units will be working with each other if circumstances dictate.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #316 on: 23 August 2016, 16:54:08 »
Khan’s Office, Clan Hall
Phillip Drummond City, New Barcella
Nova Cat’s Den, Periphery
1st October 3105

Khan Canin Rosse’s office was not a large or extravagant room but it served its purpose as a work space for the Khan while he was on New Barcella.  He tried to spend as little time here since Yvonne’s passing but as Khan he had to come to the planet every now and then.  Today was one of those days and he didn’t have to wait long to see the results the door opened and in walked saKhan Katrine Devalis.  She was dressed in the Nova Cat leathers with the addition of a cloak lined in Nova Cat fur the cloak was a recent fad that was passing through the warrior caste and was more frequently in the Nova Cat Touman.

“Did your other saKhans enjoy a summons to the Khan’s office?”  Katrine asked stopping short of his desk the younger woman taking a seat on a chair in front of him.

“Neg, but they did so with honour and grace” he said watching her reaction to his verbal barb “I did not realize that you had taken to wearing that” he said looking at the cloak which was draped over the chair.

“It was made by one of my warriors I honour his work by wearing it”

“Indeed” Canin said sitting back in his chair.

“It is not against regulations I do not see the harm quineg?”

“Neg” Canin admitted “it is just new.”  He said standing from his chair “speaking of new things it is the reason for your ‘summons’” he said using her term for his request.

“I gathered that” she barely looked interested in what he had to say her lack of respect angered the Khan but he refused to bite to her tempting.

“I want our senior leadership to undertake a Vision Quest” he said seeing her suddenly sit up and take notice.  “It is important to me that our Clan remembers its traditions even as it embraces new ones.”  He said looking again at the cloak.

“I will ensure that all of our Galaxy Commanders are aware” she said almost jumping to her feet turning towards the door.

“That includes you.” Canin said watching her stop dead in her tracks turning slowly “I have never heard of you taking a quest.”

“I did once” she admitted “in 3091 shortly after your son’s death.”  She explained the mention of Grayson Rosse pained the Khan but he suppressed the thought of it quickly refocusing on his saKhan’s back. “I thought the passing of my rival would spur a vision but it did not.”  She said turning to face him.

“And you have never tried again?”

“Neg”

“But you continue to collect vineers quiaff?”

“Aff it is our tradition”

“As is visions” the Khan said

“You have enough of them for the both of us” she said referring to his multiple visions as she turned back towards the doors “I will look after our Touman you look after our visions.”  She said taking another step.

“Neg!” Canin snapped “you will undertake a Rite of Vision”

“Aff I will once the Oathmaster returns from Tukayyid” she said nodding her agreement by then she hoped to be deep inside the Taurian Concordat causing trouble for their periphery neighbour.

“Neg you will do so now”

“I have no guide” she said beginning her defence but the Khan silently replied by spreading his arms “you?”

“As you said I have had plenty visions it is time I pass on that experience.”

“I was planning on leaving on a raid”

“It can wait.”  The senior Khan said making it clear that his decision was made.  “We leave tomorrow morning.”

“For where?”

“This continents mountain plains one of the few places our Clan has not touched in some way.  There we will begin.”

Rite of Vision
Northern Mountains, New Barcella
Nova Cat’s Den, Periphery
4th October 3105

From New Barcella City the Khan and saKhan had been carried to the foot of one of the continents smaller mountains and there they had begun their ascent.  The climb was not easy but then it wasn’t a great challenge for either of the warriors instead they soon reached a grassy plateau that overlooked the planets open plains and forests of New Barcella in the far distance Phillip Drummond City and the seaborne Borealis Facility glistened in the night.  “This is the place?”  Katrine Devalis asked looking around but not all that impressed.

“What do you think?”  Canin Rosse asked remaining passive to the area allowing her to decide.

“It is fine” she said dumping her travel pack “we should set camp.”

“Neg, set a fire, we begin now”

“I have not slept properly in days” she complained

“Exactly continue” he said.  Soon after Canin Rosse sat alongside her while Katrine looked into the flames.  Slowly the saKhan sacrificed her vineers, souvenirs of her time as a Nova Cat warrior; Canin remained silent staring into the fire hoping to see something in the flames despite it being Katrine’s Rite of Vision.

For Katrine Devalis part she did not see the point of this her spirituality had never been a large part of her career she’d managed without one until now and risen to the second highest point in Clan Nova Cat.  As she thought of her career a nova cat stepped out of of the darkness and snarled at her Canin Rosse did not react instead he continued to stare into the flames.  The nova cat walked slowly around them she could feel it as the animal moved around her back she knew at any moment its poisonous mane could touch her back and she’d be on the ground defenceless.  The nova cat continued around until it was facing her Khan and then in a moment it lept towards him Katrine jumped up to the Khan’s defence feeling the fire against her body as she leaned over it.  Suddenly the Khan appeared to be standing beside her his hands on her arm where she had felt the fire “know your enemy” he said before he faded back to darkness.

“What the hell is this” she said out loud she felt sweat running down her body and she knew she was still in front of their camp fire but the Khan was gone the nova cat reappeared beside her and snarled before leaping into the darkness Katrine looked at the fire for a moment before following the cat.

The nova cat had quite a lead on Katrine but it wasn’t trying to get away from her suddenly another nova cat jumped out at the first one.  The two cats circled each other for several moments each taking a swipe at each other the mountain beside them fell away revealing a huge chasm.  The two nova cats continued to circle and and fight each other before they stopped and faced each other ‘her’ nova cat suddenly jumped into the darkness.  “NO!” Katrine screamed leaping to the cat’s defence quickly following it over the edge.

Suddenly there was fire all around her and Katrine saw her nova cat dragging itself back to its feet moving around the fire as if on the hunt.  From the sand a snake appeared hissing at the nova cat as it jumped through the air its mane standing on air its claws ready to strike a bird swooped down knocking the cat to the side defending the snake.  Katrine tried to step between the bird and the injured cat but she couldn’t move as the flames intensified.  The nova cat’s spirit seemed to rise from the animal ignoring the serpent and striking back at the bird knocking it to the side Katrine could see it lying dead in the sand.  As the nova cat’s spirit turned towards the snake black wings seemed to grow from its back turning the animal into something new as it turned towards Katrine.  Even as she studied the animal something even stranger happened from the cat a spirit figure emerged “what are you doing here?”  She asked Grayson Rosse looking like he had before he was killed fighting the Capellans.

“Know your enemy” he said before disappearing into the darkness only to replaced by a snake and then Canin Rosse standing opposite her.

“Katrine!”  He called out but Katrine only saw the snake and struck out.  Canin Rosse was waiting for her move and easily blocked the blow moments late he blocked her second blow.  “Katrine calm yourself” he commanded her instead of responding with a strike he blocked another of her blows.  “Katrine!” Canin shouted a warning as he stepped back closer to the edge.

“No” she suddenly said realizing what she was doing “this isn’t right” she said stepping back giving Canin the room he needed “my Khan I apologies” she said remembering both Canin’s and Grayson’s words in her vision ‘know your enemy’ for the first time in a long time she did not see Canin Rosse as her enemy.  "What the hell was that?!"

“You encountered a vision” he stated it was not a question he could see it in her eyes the revaluation that had come fro the flames.  She simply nodded “you will not understand all the images of your dreams.  But in time they will become clear.”  He promised her Canin said Katrine began to speak but found her mouth dry instead she reached for a water bottle and drank nearly half of it.

“It was so real” she whispered looking at the Khan.  “I felt and smelt it” she said “it was like it all happened in front of my eyes…” she raised her left arm “I was burned” she said looking at the perfectly healthy skin covering her arm “I never realized…” she said looking at the Khan smirking more to herself than him “I saw…”

“Be careful with who you tell of your vision” the Khan said raising his hand to forestall her explanation for a moment “it may be personal to you or it may affect all of our Clan.  Who you tell may make a difference to how that person acts in the future.”

“But I must tell someone” Katrine said “and you are my guide…”

“Then I will listen” Canin said sitting back from the fire.

“I saw nova cats fighting” she said piecing the vision together “but then they realized their error and stopped.”  She said thinking it over realizing that it could have represented her and the Khan.  “Then I saw a serpent ready to strike the nova cat.  It turned and replied attacking the serpent knocking it to the side but before it could land a killing blow a bird struck the cat.”  She explained “I couldn’t move but the cat was not done it rose to its feet ignoring the ailing serpent it struck down the bird.”  She said

“Was that it all?”  Canin asked sensing that there may be more to it.

“Aff” she said closing her eyes for a moment instantly seeing the strange cat-bird creature and Grayson Rosse’s face ‘know your enemy’ “there was nothing else.”

“What do you think it means?”  Canin asked

“It could mean there are still Serpents out there” she said referring to the Clan based faction “or it could refer to the Combine.  A dragon is a type of serpent.”

“And the bird?”

“It could be the Free Worlds League, the Jade Falcons or the Snow Ravens.”

“And given our position what is most likely?”  He asked her

“The Ravens” Katrine said “I know what I need to do” she said ‘know your enemy’ “I need to strike the Draconis Combine.”

“And if the Ravens interfere?”

“Then I know my path is the correct one.”  Katrine said

“And you said that your nova cat was knocked down and that the cat’s spirit carried the day.  Are you willing to follow your vision to death?”

“I am” she admitted for the first time willing to follow a vision, her vision, to death.  She closed her eyes for a moment instantly seeing the cat-bird figure and hearing the worlds ‘know your enemy’ she quietly wondered if she’d ever shake the vision from her thoughts.

Thirty-third Star League Games
Solaris City, Solaris VII
Star League Protectorate
14th October 3105

For a second year in a row Clan Wolf dominate the Solaris Games on Solaris VII with several Wolf Tomahawk OmniMechs dominating the games.  Star Captain Beckham Kerensky from the 328th Assault Cluster, piloting one of the Tomahawks, fights off challenges from all others to become the new Star League Champion.

Almost as soon as the battle for the Championship is over another riot begins on Solaris.  Unlike the previous year Star League Peacekeeper forces and the Clan Wolf unit on planet are ready for the riot.  Specially trained units comprised of BattleMechs, combat vehicles and battle amour units are deployed to contain threats before they become to dangerous using overwhelming firepower to intimidate the worse offenders.  For less troublesome enemies Constable, PAB-2B Sniper, Tornado and Nighthawk Power Armour suits are deployed by both forces in an attempt to minimize casualties.

Raging Bull (Marathon-class Battle-cruiser)
Summit, Arcturus Theatre
Donegal Province, Lyran Commonwealth
18th October 3105

Despite the Jade Falcon decision to accept the peace with the Lyran Commonwealth the Hell’s Horses were still attempting to pursue their invasion of House Steiner’s realm.  Targeting the systems of Kandersteg, Summit and Grundwald the Hell’s Horses had dedicated several of their latest WarShips, DropShips and Horde Clusters to the invasion.  Star Commodore Thanos Hovan stood in the command centre of the Raging Bull as they approached the system’s inhabited planet all around Arcadia, Outpost Defender and even two new Ordun-class DropShips moved the two clusters of ground forces towards the planet while the Lola III-class Destroyers Space Hunter and Gold Knight provided perimeter escort the Hell’s Horses forces there was simply too much invested in this assault for them not to be present.  There was a radiation surge at the jump point as their JumpShips jumped to the system’s pirate point ensuring no Lyran WarShip would get the jump on their forces.  Moments after the JumpShips had jumped there was another series of surges at the jump point “Aft sensors!” Hovan commanded looking at the screens.

“Star Commodore we read five WarShips all bearing Federated Suns markings!” Anabelle reported from the sensor station.

“Federated Suns?”  Hovan asked confused “confirm that!”  He demanded it must be wrong the Federated Suns was thousands of light years from here.

“Confirmed all five of them they are deploying assault DropShips and turning to face us.”

“Intercept time!”  He demanded

“If they use maximum thrust they can intercept us before we reach the planet.”  She said confirming what his mental calculations suggested.  There were too many Hell’s Horses in this system and they were too badly outgunned by that naval firepower.  “Have Gold Knight and Space Hunter fall to the rear of the formation along with our Defenders, Arcadias and Aerospace fighters they will be our screen.”  He commanded he knew the decision would not be popular but they did not have a choice even the Raging Bull carried ground forces which couldn’t be risked.  “Have the Arcadia’s cargo configured for space combat they are going to be needed.”  He said watching the Federated Suns WarShips turn in their direction and accelerate after them.  “Helm push our speed, communications inform the JumpShips that when we arrive the Orduns must dock as quickly as possible.  We dock what we can and we escape.”

For the next fourteen hours they continued towards the pirate point while the Inner Sphere WarShips continued to chase them down.  The Gold Knight and Space Hunter were the first to turn their hulls towards the incoming targets neither of the ships began decelerating, they would wait until the last moment, soon after the Arcadia’s matched their pace as did the Defenders.  “Status” Hovan called out as he re-entered the command centre he had tried to sleep but failed.

“Forward combat elements of the Davion fleet have entered weapons range with the Gold Knight and Space Hunter” Misha reported from the weapons station “neither side have scored decisive damage on the other.”

“Both Arcadia’s have begun aggressive deceleration as have the Defenders” Nolan said from the helm “our turn is coming.”

“All hands this is the command centre prepare for aggressive deceleration and combat maneuvers.”  Hovan said moving to his own acceleration couch, no-one wanted to be standing when the WarShip began its combat maneuvers.  “Weapons as soon as you have a solution fire, don’t wait for my command” he instructed Misha who nodded her understanding.

“Sir, request from ground forces commander, if we get close enough the Horde want to be released to attack the enemy.”

“I will keep that under advisement but make them aware we do not plan on letting them get that close.”  He said looking at the clock “helm throw the switch!”  He commanded bracing for the maneuver.  ‘Throwing the switch’ was a term used on ships to address a space going vessel’s method of rapid deceleration while they could slowly bleed off speed and coast to a stop which was more comfortable, safer and cost less fuel it was also too slow during combat.  Instead space going vessels turned their nose against the direction they were travelling and fired their engines at full thrust.

In space the Raging Bull’s nose slowly ‘rose’ as the ship began to pivot along its direction of travel behind the vessel the two Lola III-class Destroyers and four DropShips which had already turned were engaging the Federated Suns forward elements that consisted of two destroyers, half a dozen DropShips and over a hundred aerospace fighters.  These units alone would cause the Hell’s Horses forces trouble.

“Sir, Gold Knight is being engaged by capital missiles from the DropShips and both enemy Destroyers are closing range” Misha said “engaging FSS Zibler with naval gauss rifles” she said as the Davion III moved into extreme range.  The Raging Bull’s massive Repeating Naval Gauss Rifles opened up on the distant enemy destroyer Hovan was glad to see some hits on the ship but nothing that would seriously worry the Federated Suns vessel as it closed on the Gold Knight.

“Hold it together Mike” Hovan said watching as the contacts closed the FSS Zibler seemed to pass close to the Gold Knight while the FSS Fire Fang which held off at distance.  Both Federated Suns Destroyers turned away from the Gold Knight while the Gold Knight continued on its course which now appearing to be a ballistic one.  “Status on Gold Knight?”

“We’ve lost communications with her” Misha said looking at her screens “Space Hunter is continuing pursuit” she said as the Space Hunter passed over Gold Knight’s position continuing to fire on the two retreating AFFS Destroyers.  Suddenly the Raging Bull’s sensors registered nearly a dozen capital missile hits across the side of the Gold Knight.

“How did they hit them from that range?”  Hovan asked more to himself than anything else as he watched the Space Hunter list heavily to her starboard side even as she continued to fire on the FSS Zibler.

“We are reading heavy communication traffic between the Federated Suns ships” Misha reported.

“Nolan pass to all of our DropShips and aerospace fighters to break off and fall back immediately!”  Hovan ordered realizing what he was seeing “Space Hunter, this is Raging Bull, the Federated Suns ships are using C3 systems break off your pursuit and make way to join us.  We need to engage them all at once to minimize the advantage.”  He commanded but the message had been sent too late to make a difference as another volley of capital missiles and naval weapons tore into the second Lola III.  The destroyer already damaged took heavy hits along its mid-line and aft sections as capital missiles fired from the two Avalon II-class Cruisers tore open the ship’s hull to space.  The Space Hunter continued on its course its thrusters heavily damaged by the hits.

“Sir we are at the jump point” Anabelle said

“Complete deceleration” Hovan ordered keying a switch on his command chair “all hands prepare for immediate docking and jump procedures.  Weapons if any of those ships come back into range I want to know immediately” he said looking at the Space Hunter which now had stopped trying to make a turn and instead was continuing to fire on enemy vessels from a now fixed course.  “Communications put me on general communication channel.”  He said Misha nodded “this is Star Commodore Thanos Hovan of Clan Hell’s Horses commander of the Raging Bull to Federated Suns Flotilla at this time and date I am ordering the commander of the Space Hunter and all aerospace fighters and DropShips unable to rejoin our fleet to surrender.  You won this round you won’t win the next.”  He said cutting the channel “continue our docking procedures and prepare to jump from the system.”  He commanded watching the screens carefully the Space Hunter and other forces too damaged to retreat slowly signaled their surrender as all six Davion WarShips moved closer Hovan prayed that the Federated Suns forces would accept his people and not blast them from space.

Across the system on board the FSS Reinhart Steiner standing in the ship’s command centre Admiral Alexander Duvall smiled on hearing the message from the Horses commander.  “Status on the Horses ships Mr Anderson?”

“Sir, the Battle-cruiser and JumpShips are continuing to dock fighters and DropShips.  The first Lola III designated Gold Knight is adrift with minimal power.  Second Lola III designated Space Hunter is also adrift and signalling surrender.  One Outpost-class DropShip is completely destroyed.  Second Outpost-class DropShip has shut down engines and is signalling surrender.  Two Arcadia-class vessels have powered down and surrendered.  There is fighting continuing on the hull of the FSS FSS Zibler between defenders of the ship and a small number of ProtoMechs and Battle Armour troopers.  Several aerospace fighters have also surrendered.”

“A nice catch” Duvall noted “direct Fifty-first Strike Wing to the FSS Zibler set a perimeter the Fifty-first are only to engage units they can hit without damaging the FSS Zibler.  Captain McLintock can you bring us closer to the FSS Zibler and prepare our marines for a boarding action we’ll convince them to stand down.”  He ordered the ship’s commander Captain James McLintock “and sensors continue to monitor the Raging Bull.”  He said “Communications I want you to direct the FSS Fire Fang, FSS Melissa Davion II and the FSS Jackson Davion to set up between us and Raging Bull Fire Fang to take operational command while we assist Zibler.” The FSS Reinhart Steiner moved closer to the Destroyer which occasionally rolled along its axis in an attempt to knock the invaders off into space.  “Let me talk to them” Duvall commanded the communications officer nodded a moment later.  “Hell’s Horses ground forces your commander has commanded your surrender I am willing to accept it, none of you will be harmed and will be accepted as prisoners of war.”

“Neg, you will accept us as Bondsmen or we will die before surrendering to you.  Give us a chance to become warriors again.”  One of the Horses said from the FSS Zibler’s hull.  Admiral Duvall had argued this point before accepting this assignment but his commanders had assured him that the Clansmen would not surrender and that it would not be a problem.  He knew the Lyran Commonwealth would want to claim these warriors and their equipment which would probably cause another problem.  “And another thing we will be surrendering to you not the Lyrans or the dezgra Wolves.  You defeated us in battle not them.”  The warrior said as if reading Duvall’s mind.  The Admiral thought for several seconds it would be easier for him to deploy his Battle Armour Marine Battalion and wipe them out but he knew that it would see more damage done to the FSS Zibler that they didn’t need not did his command need a reputation for slaughtering those who could have surrendered.

“Screw it” he said signalling to the communications officer “Hell’s Horses I am Admiral Alexander Duvall I will accept your surrender as Bondsmen to the Federated Suns.  You will be put on-board a Transport DropShip and taken along with your equipment to the Federated Suns where, if you prove your loyalty, you may become warriors in the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns.”  He said cutting the link on the screen several units immediately signaled their surrender while others soon followed suit.  Captain McLintock crossed over standing beside him.

“Sir, the Lyrans are going to go nuts at this…” he noted Duvall nodded “there are ProtoMechs out there we don’t have a clue where to start maintaining them while the Lyrans could use the tech to help rebuild some of their units.  Not to mention the DropShips and Lola III.”

“I know” Duvall snapped worse than he’d meant to “sorry Jim” he said a moment later catching himself “I wasn’t going to wipe them out.  We will make do this time and the next time we will be prepared.”  He said “the Lyrans can be happy with the Gold Knight” he noted.

“She’s a wreck” McLintock said looking at the screens “if the jump drive isn’t damaged they might be able to make her airtight and jump her to Alarion or the Ruins.”  He said as he looked over the ship the Lola would probably need years of repairs to get her back operational.  The Space Hunter would probably need the same although the damage to the ship was concentrated at the rear of the ship and might be easier to repair.

“Captain, prepare boarding teams to go on board the Space Hunter and the DropShips and secure them minimal armaments these people have surrendered to us.  Have any surrendered Aerospace Fighters dock with their motherships or in absence of those craft dock with one of our carrier DropShips.  I also want an update from the FSS Zibler and FSS Fire Fang on their damage and estimated repair times.”  He commanded the younger man turning operational command over to the WarShip’s commander.  “I’m going to try and draft a report to the First Prince and the Lyran Archon.”  He said heading for the Command Centre’s exit hearing the WarShip’s commander wish him luck as he left.

Subtlety (McKenna-class Battleship)
Nadir Point, Outreach
Star League Protectorate
22nd October 3105

The Subtlety entered the Outreach system’s Nadir Point with a flash of light arriving in the point at the outer edge of the jump area.  “We are being challenged by the Athena” Veronica Wilson said looking at Captain Leroy-Dietrich.

“Put it up” he said

“This is the Wolf’s Dragoons WarShip Athena to unidenfitied McKenna-class vessel.  Identify yourself or prepare to be subject to defensive fire.”  Leroy-Dietrich nodded to Wilson who activated their transceiver system.

“This is Captain William Leroy-Dietrich of the Subtlety my ship has no business with Outreach but I wish to travel to the planet for personal business.”  He said clearing his throat.

“Outreach is under the protection of the Wolf’s Dragoons all trade must be done through the Dragoons or the Star League Defence Force.”  The Athena’s communications person replied “any mercenary business must go through the Wolf’s Dragoons.”

“I am a son of Outreach my business is my own, son, now I want clearance for a single DropShip to travel to the planet’s surface then I and a small party will depart the DropShip and see to some personal business and then we will leave Outreach.”  Leroy-Dietrich said the line abruptly closed off and was silent for several minutes.

“Subtlety a single DropShip is authorized to travel to the planet” the Athena’s officer said.

Four days later the Subtlety’s Leopard-class DropShip arrived at Outreach and was escorted to the planet by Wolf’s Dragoons aerospace fighters.  Ever since the ‘Riot of 3067’ the Wolf’s Dragoons had limited access to the world in an effort to protect its population but it had also slowed their rebuilding of the planet.  Even with Star League Protectorate membership Outreach still bore the marks of the battle that claimed the life of General Jamie Wolf.  As the ground car left the Leopard Captain William Leroy-Dietrich thought about when he’d first chosen to become a mercenary he’d grown up with stories of the Wolf’s Dragoons victories and watched as the Regiments prepared for battle there was nothing the Dragoons could not do but joining the famed mercenary band was never part of his plan.  Instead Leroy-Dietrich had always wanted to join a small company and head into the periphery exploring the great unknown beyond the Inner Sphere before he had left he’d met her, Lorna Raphael-Ferguson, the lady of his dreams.  A pilot like him they’d battled their way through the training centres on and around Outreach and within six months they had been married joined the same mercenary command, the Fifteenth Exploration Squadron, and headed into the periphery.  They’d been happy for nearly ten years exploring the periphery looking for hidden Rim Worlds Republic bases before Lorna’s fighter had experienced a problem on a search patrol.  For nearly an hour he had listened to her fighter slowly die around her as it fell into the atmosphere of a gas giant and there was nothing he could do about it.  Orbiting over the planet William Leroy-Dietrich had been tempted to roll his fighter and dive into the atmosphere and follow her but he knew that Lorna would have never forgiven him for such an act.
Looking across at America Park today he was glad he hadn’t dove his fighter into the gas giant that day but returning to Outreach had brought it all back.  Slowly the car moved through the City of Harlech until it reached the ruined MRBC Headquarters, the place that he and Lorna had met, William Leroy-Dietrich followed by America Park stepped out of the car and looked at the ruined building.  “They’ve let the place go to hell” he said looking at the ruins they were taped off by the Dragoons and they looked like they had not been worked on for years.

“I’m surprised the Dragoons have let it lay like this” America said looking at the massive building that was left to ruin.

“It’s a memorial” Leroy-Dietrich said ripping the tape open stepping onto the grounds.  He walked over to the steps that led up to the main doors and bent down placing a Captain’s rank insignia on the steps along with the Fifteenth’s badge.  He didn’t have anything else of her that he wanted to leave behind “my love I might have found new love and new purpose but I have never forgotten you and never will” he said quietly looking down at the two insignia and up at the ruin.  “This was where it all started and I would do it all over again” he said “I miss you” he said a tear running down his cheek “but you’re home now and I can’t stay here any longer.”  He said rising back to his feet “I’ll see you again” he promised her turning heading back to America and the waiting car.  Eight hours later their DropShip, now fully refueled and supplied, left Outreach and began heading back towards the Subtlety nearly four days later the Battleship left the system heading towards Galatea Station intent on never returning to Outreach.
« Last Edit: 23 August 2016, 16:58:46 by Dragon Cat »

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #317 on: 23 August 2016, 19:50:02 »
Nice update!  A good haul  for the AFFS!

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #318 on: 24 August 2016, 01:13:55 »
Nice update.
The FS finds another way to annoy the Lyrans accidentally. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #319 on: 24 August 2016, 01:36:58 »
Excellent update :)    I'm surprised that Canin went on a Vision quest, and the Vision itself was most interesting.  Indicative of Raven/Dragon/Cat fighting for sure but why?
« Last Edit: 24 August 2016, 01:54:52 by marauder648 »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #320 on: 24 August 2016, 22:29:17 »
Intense update, i'm impressed with the Nova Cat entry of your story.  I though Canin was going to be challenged for control of Clan Nova Cat.  SaKhan jump at attacking Combine and Ravens seems bit crazy thou.  Know your Enemy, but more importantly i think, is know yourself.

Sun's help with the Hell's Horses was pretty nice fight. Hope someone will get Space Hunter working again.  Maybe named its original Star League name.  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #321 on: 25 August 2016, 04:33:01 »
All Space Hunter needs is a little duct tape, some super glue and several tons of armor. Piece of cake. ;)
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #322 on: 25 August 2016, 19:16:32 »
Very nice update DC, I'm glad to see the Ravens may actually be starting to become active again, though this does make me a bit nervous:

striking back at the bird knocking it to the side Katrine could see it lying dead in the sand.  As the nova cat’s spirit turned towards the snake black wings seemed to grow from its back turning the animal into something new

Quite a few ways to interpret that though, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing what actually happens.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #323 on: 25 August 2016, 20:54:55 »
So Captain William Leroy-Dietrich from Outreach and was part of an explorer group on on the Rim..  more and more interesting

And then he got ambushed by "ghost raiders" who committed sucide instead of being captured, in a system that had been WOB.

This is going to be a good story
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #324 on: 26 August 2016, 07:01:13 »
It must be tough for him to operate full armed and operational Battleship with like no support.  Usually combat ships have support units, like cargo ships or repair tenders..never mind escorts.   They need keep supplied to keep going.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #325 on: 26 August 2016, 17:42:50 »
Know your Enemy, but more importantly i think, is know yourself

That's quite good

All Space Hunter needs is a little duct tape, some super glue and several tons of armor. Piece of cake. ;)

Well... put it this way she needs less work than the Gold Knight

Quite a few ways to interpret that though, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing what actually happens.

Quite a few ways

This is going to be a good story

Thanks if anyone fancies playing about with the story before they arrived in the Inner Sphere feel free.

It must be tough for him to operate full armed and operational Battleship with like no support.  Usually combat ships have support units, like cargo ships or repair tenders..never mind escorts.   They need keep supplied to keep going.

Not quite fully operational and not quite completely unsupported please see below:

The Subtlety Profitable College of Military Arts

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=54275.new#new

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #326 on: 26 August 2016, 21:58:08 »
Thank you for the back story on the fabled ship! It was very subtle. ;)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #327 on: 28 August 2016, 12:09:09 »
Shadow Guard Command
Shasta, District of Marik
Free Worlds League
3rd November 3105

The Commander of the Wolf’s Dragoons General Sean Dorran surveyed the scene inside the Shadow Guard’s command base as the techs of the mercenary regiment stripped damaged weapons off of their units and worked their way through the salvage they had taken after a four day battle.  The Shadow Guard had served the Free Worlds League well over during the fighting impressing the Dragoons command, in front of him was an equally impressive vehicle a Teppo Support Vehicle, where the Shadow Guard had acquired the Teppo and learned how to fight the way they did was beyond Dorran.

Walking past two troopers dressed in Longius Battle Armour Dorran entered the Shadow Guard’s command vehicle heading into the command room seeing Colonel Tim Storm going over the reports.  “Welcome aboard General” the old man said extending his hand which Dorran shook.

“Thank you Colonel” Dorran said looking around it was the first time he’d been in a Teppo and he found them quite spacious inside.  He’d already witnessed the Teppo’s command and artillery support capabilities over the last days of fighting.  “You fought well your people should be very proud.”

“I am very proud of them” Storm said studying the General “how can we help you?”

“I’d like to make you an offer Colonel” Dorran offered Storm nodded for him to continue “you captured a significant amount of salvage from the Wolves Nineteenth Striker Cluster.”  Dorran began along lines that Storm had expected “Clan technology is expensive to maintain.  My Dragoons are not the force they once were but we have lots of expertise in maintaining the technology.”

“We can learn to look after it” Storm said wanting to see how far Dorran would go.

“Aff I’m certain you would” Dorran said sure that the Storm Guard could adapt to the new technology.  “However I have a counter offer for you my Dragoons will transfer to you a significant quantity of upto date Inner Sphere technology in exchange for your Clan technology.”

“A significant offer” Storm admitted with it he could probably raise a fourth Mech Battalion and maybe more.  “But I have a counter proposal General” Storm said he was happy to get rid of the damaged Clan tech but he wanted more off the Dragoons than standard tech for the salvage.  “We’ll take a number of Inner Sphere Mechs equal to the base value of the salvage we’re giving you” he said which for anyone would be a complete bargain.  Even taking a lower amount of Mechs the Shadow Guard would end up in front overall once they counted out losses from the battle.  “And we’ll take training from your Dragoons.”

“Training?  Colonel from what I saw on the battlefield your people do not need training they are very competent in battle.”

“It’s not my ground forces I need help with it’s my naval personnel” he said testing the waters but Dorran gave nothing away if the Dragoons knew of his WarShip this one wasn’t letting that out.  “We have a League-class Destroyer which we’ve salvaged and slowly repaired with the Free Worlds League’s assistance she’s almost ready to go back into service but my crew have been trained on DropShips and JumpShips a destroyer is a completely different animal.”

“The Free Worlds League could help you with that…”  Dorran pointed out wondering why Storm had turned to the Dragoons for this help “my Dragoons have not trained others since the troubles on Outreach it is something in our past.”

“It may be in your past but it’s the price for this salvage” Storm said “and if I read you correctly General you want this salvage so you can continue to rebuild Delta Regiment.”  He said pushing what he knew of the Wolf’s Dragoons.

“You are well informed” Sean Dorran said smiling at Storm using the knowledge he had at the right time.  The Dragoons used to be like that opportunistic ready to pounce on a battle or on a piece of information without hesitation but they’d lost that somewhere.  “You have a deal.  I’ll have my people travel here and then on with your people to your base of operations.  I will be sending a security force with my people” he warned the commander of the Shadow Guard.

“I would expect nothing less General but your people will be treated as my personal guests I assure you.”  He promised the other mercenary extending his hand.

“To the beginning of a profitable relationship for both of our commands” Sean Dorran said shaking Tim Storm’s hand.

Circle of Equals, Ebon Guard Command
City of Andrey, Tukayyid
Clan Territory
11th November 3105

In a Circle of Equals Star Colonel Thomas Ward, commander of the Second Ebon Guard Cluster, challenges and defeats the Loremaster of the Clans Miguel Icaza over a disagreement regarding the treatment of the lower castes on Tukayyid.  Until now the position had been filled by a Loremaster or Oathmaster from one of the remaining Clans but because Ward defeated Icaza in single combat the Star Colonel claims the position for himself stating that if the Clans wish to replace him they will have to defeat him in battle.

Like many warriors of the Ebon Guard Thomas Ward is older than the traditional Clan warrior.  He was born in 3063 on Tamar to Clan Wolf and has served with the Ebon Guard since it was formed in 3090.  Unlike many other Clan warriors who have transferred to the Ebon Guard Thomas Ward continues to wear a standard Clan Wolf uniform which is adorned with both Clan Wolf and Ebon Guard insignia.

Civil Conflict
Lothian League, Periphery
20th November 3105

The Lothian League falls into Civil War after weeks of unrest and disagreement on who should take control over the nation.  Open fighting only occurs on a few worlds but the Lyran Commonwealth are fast to capitalize on the nation’s failure moving on Thadora’s Land, Blanteff, Zorns Keep and Maxmillian.  Without leadership from Lothario the mercenaries hired to defend these planets do not resist the Lyrans instead agreeing to surrender in exchange for transport to Galatea Station classing their contracts null and void.

On Maxmillian and Blantleff the Lyran Commonwealth and the District of Gibraltar come into conflict as both nations attempt to claim the planets.  With the Rubinsky’s Light Horse Mercenary Command fighting against the Eighth Tamarind Militia Combined-arms Regiment on Maxmillian.  After three months of cat-and-mouse fighting the Eighth withdraw from the planet leaving Maxmillian and Blandeff to the Lyran Commonwealth.

At the otherside of the Lothian League the Marian Hegemony strike at Paulinus but are unable to claim the Lothian world having to retreat after a few days fighting against the Gamma Twelve mercenary command.

Clan Wolf Territory
Solaris VII, Star League Protectorate   
30th November 3105

Since coming to Solaris VII the Wolves had been attacked by the stables who called Solaris Home in the arena and on the streets.  Today was another of those days several of the stables had decided that Clan Wolf’s time on Solaris needed to come to an end.  Preidictibly the SLDF Peacekeepers on the planet were out of position to stop the stables so now Clan Wolf would reply.  Recently crowned champion of the Star League Games Star Captain Beckham Kerensky breathed heavily as he turned his damaged Tomahawk II OmniMech towards the incoming enemy Mech.  “We have Jade Falcons of the Zellbrigen Stable on the field” he said looking at sensor readout on the Kraken XR as its autocannons barked to life ripping into the left hand side of his OmniMehch’s armour.

“Kill them” Star Colonel Ivan Ward his commander and another winner of the Star League Games commanded.

“Aff” Beckham replied triggering both of his shotgun-type autocannons ripping open the side of the Kraken.  Moments later he triggered both of his OmniMech’s pulse lasers and the extended range large laser under the cockpit burning down the side of the Kraken as it turned.  The Kraken XR reeled under the hits but its laser reflective armour protecting it from most of the damage.  Long range missies and autocannons flew between the two Mechs as the Kraken returned fire.  Beckham Kerensky loved since Mech combat and against a Mech of equal size he’d have his work cut out.  Dancing his massive one hundred ton OmniMech to the right the Wolf warrior opened up with another paired autocannon blast ripping into the enemy assault BattleMech.  The Kraken returned fire causing more damage with its autocannons and laser.  Beckham opened up with his Mech’s lasers again and again seeing little damage “stavag laser reflective armour!” he snapped angrily “let’s see you absorb this” he said stomping his OmniMech forward at nearly fifty-four kilometres per hour closing the gap between the two huge Mechs rapidly ducking his Mech’s right shoulder as he approached Beckham Kerensky intentionally broke Clan duelling rules by slamming his Tomahawk II into the Kraken staggering the Jade Falcon BattleMech backwards.  As the Kraken stepped back he fired both LB-autocannons and his quartet of anti-personnel gauss rifles ripping open the Kraken’s armour.  The rotary autocannons of the Jade Falcon BattleMech spat to life again tearing into the Tomahawk’s armour as the warrior held down on the triggers until the inevitable happened one of the cannons jammed.  Beckham stepped forwards again ignoring the damage firing his autocannons and AP gauss again chipping away at the armour before kicking out at the Kraken smashing the Mech’s right knee actuator forcing the Kraken back again.  Both of the Kraken’s missile launchers came alive at near point blank range tearing into the Tomahawk causing heavy torso and head armour damage.  As the cockpit bounced about from the massive hit Beckham Kerensky’s head slammed into one of the overhead screens giving the Kraken some breathing space and time to pull back surprisingly the Kraken didn’t open up on Beckham’s Tomahawk instead continuing to pull back.

“Take a breath, take stock, and here we go” Beckham Kerensky said ignoring his head injury moving forwards the Kraken turned towards him as he closed opening fire with both of his autocannons Kerensky realized the warrior had spend the moment to clear the jammed rotary and cursed giving the warrior that time as the autocannons opened new holes in the Tomahawk’s armour.  “No breaks this time” he promised his enemy charging forward firing his autocannons and AP gauss again concentrating on the crippled right knee.  Kerensky was happy to see the armour give way exposing the remains of the structure triggering his large pulse and extended range lasers he aimed holes created by his autocannons blowing the limb completely off the BattleMech.  The Kraken was unable to stand as the right leg snapped under the weight of the BattleMech and began to fall Beckham Kerensky followed the Kraken down firing his weapons into the falling Mech shattering the Mech’s torso and head armour killing the warrior underneath.  This was his second kill of the day but it would not be the last scanning the area nearby Kerensky saw markers for the other Mechs of his Star and moved to join them.

Several hours later Star Colonel Ivan Ward sat opposite Colonel Waleed Barkawi the commander of the First Solaris Security Regiment of the Star League Defence Force.  “Colonel with two Regiments of Star League Defence Force personnel on this planet you were still unable to stop heavy damage being done to the Wolf forces on planet.”

“We were deployed to another disturbance at the south of the city.”  Barkawi replied visibly annoyed by the lapse in security “this was a distraction intent on keeping us busy.  They must have taken months if not years to plan this assault.”

“One consolation is we were able to destroy the Jade Falcons on the planet.”  Ivan Ward said

“As long as your people remain on this planet there will be trouble…” Barkawi began before Ward interrupted.

“If you wish us to flood Solaris with troops and turn the streets into a bloodbath then we will but Clan Wolf is not leaving this planet.”

“I did not think so” Barakawi said looking Ward up and down “what I meant was your forces on planet simply increase the tensions on this planet.  Your continued dominance of the games is another issue.”

“Because we are better than the other warriors on planet it causes problems?  I am sure there are others who have dominated Solaris previously Quiaff?”

“Yes but generally they were not state based.  The Lyrans have always held a home advantage but the others have been able to bring them down which has kept the people content.”

“We have not had the same successes in the regular championship.  The people should be glad that Clan Wolf has not tried to dominate all of the games on Solaris VII.”  The Wolf warrior stated “I suggest that Clan Wolf be allowed to take a more active roll in the security of Solaris VII and allowed to arrest those we class as threats.”

“That is not happening not while we remain on this planet” Barkawi stated “which brings us back to turning the streets of Solaris into a bloodbath.”

“There is another way.”  Ward suggested “Solaris ceases to be a protectorate of the Star League but does not become a world of Clan Wolf.”  He said rising up from his chair “instead a joint SLDF and Clan Wolf force is formed to defend Solaris from all enemies foreign and domestic.”

“Commanded by?  SLDF troopers will not fight their superiors to gain command” Barkawi stated “nor is Solaris likely to take well to a Clan officer in command of Wolf units that have sole responsibility for protecting this system.  People will not feel comfortable with Wolf forces in charge of security on this planet.”

“It does not have to be purely a Wolf and SLDF force we could include elements of all of the Clans make the defence of Solaris a multinational force.”  Ward suggested “the Ebon Guard on Tukayyid is made up of warriors from all of the Clans.  Your Star League Defence Force is made up of elements of all of the Star League’s member states.  Between the two we can form a force that will defend Solaris VII independent of the Clans and of the Inner Sphere create an open system for all if you will.”

“Like Tukayyid?  But that remains a closed system correct?”  Barkawi said challenging Ward’s idea that Solaris would remain an open system.

“Then we open Tukayyid to visitors” Ward suggested “with restrictions of course” he said thinking that he didn’t want masses of Inner Sphere people wandering around the Clan capital.  “Unfortunately we cannot have SLDF units on Tuakkyid that is a compromise we are not willing to make.”

“I am open to your plan but I will need conformation from the Star League Council and my superiors.”

“Aff I will need conformation from the Loremaster of the Clans and likely the Clan Council as well especially for Tukayyid.”  Ward said as Barkawi rose from his seat offering Ward his hand which the Clan Star Colonel shook.

It would take a further three months for the Star League Defence Force and Clan Council to secure an agreement over the future of Solaris VII with Colonel Waleed Barkawi confirmed as the first commander of the Solaris Security Command.  With a united command on Solaris and surrounding each facility on the planet, including Clan Wolf’s facilities, the tensions on the planet continued to simmer but were no longer at the stage of open fighting.  An agreement was made between the Star League Defence Force and Clans for traders to be allowed access to Tukayyid to openly trade with the Clans although with great restrictions placed on visitors to the planet including that no-one is welcome within the grounds of the City of Andrey.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2016, 12:23:54 by Dragon Cat »

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #328 on: 28 August 2016, 13:00:26 »
Good deal for the Shadow Guard, not sure the Solaris VII idea will work out for the best in the long run.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #329 on: 29 August 2016, 02:47:40 »
Great update as always! The Solaris guard could be interesting and odd that there's a 'liberal' who cares for the lower castes acting as Loremaster of the Clans and as an aged warrior too.  With someone like this in an a very high ranking position could do some interesting stuff.

Register