Author Topic: 3025 era Marik heavy company  (Read 11453 times)

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
3025 era Marik heavy company
« on: 26 October 2012, 20:07:24 »
This is my 3025 era Marik company

Command/ assault lance
Atlas 7D - Heavy armor/ good weaponry good command mech
Awesome 8Q- long range PPC's complemented by lancemates LRM's
Stalker 3F- Good dependable assault with weapons for any range
Orion 1K- classic free worlds league mech good firepower/ armor

Heavy lance/ fire support
Archer 2R- the classic fire support mech of 3025 decent armor stands at long range and rains down LRM's to cover freindlies
Centurion 9A- good marik trooper heavy armor/ good weapons mix slowly closes bringing more weapons on target as it does so
Hunchback 4G- Solid stand and deliver mech with heavy armor and a big boomstick gets in close while archer/ centurion support
Guillotine 1N- another FWL mech good for flanking even though it is slow

Flanker lance
Dervish 6M- decent medium fire support mech with good speed/ jump for flanking movements
Griffin 1N- PPC and LRM's lay down hurt
Wolverine 6M -Quickly closes covered by griffin and moves to enemy's rear area
Wolverine 6R- Moves in conjunction with The other wolvie all mechs move 5/8/5

Scout/ skirmirsher lance
Sentinel 3K - Good speed and decent firepower for a light medium
Cicada 3C Great long range stopping power works well with the Sentinel
HermesII 2S- Good electronics works against PBI
Firestarter 9H Quick solid light with great anti infantry weapons

For The Archon!

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 3025 era Marik heavy company
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2012, 23:34:13 »
Needs a Trebuchet in the Fire Lance, and at least one more Orion just on general principal.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2012, 02:35:15 »
You created a good Marik company. But if you don't mind, I would make one or two changes.

This is my 3025 era Marik company

Command/ assault lance
Atlas 7D - Heavy armor/ good weaponry good command mech
BLR-1G-DC BattleMaster    (ON1-V-DC Orion)
- it's produced in the FWL
- its PPC gives it an option to support Awesome and Stalker, and it can't run of ammo as Atlas' LRMs could
- it's a command 'Mech too; or we could take standard BLR-1G and do not complicate things

Archer 2R- the classic fire support mech of 3025 decent armor stands at long range and rains down LRM's to cover freindlies
Centurion 9A- good marik trooper heavy armor/ good weapons mix slowly closes bringing more weapons on target as it does so
TBT-5N Trebuchet
- Centurion is not a typical Marik 'Mech - it's more associated with the House Davion
- Trebuchet is a typical Marik design; very suitable for fire-support tasks
Hunchback 4G- Solid stand and deliver mech with heavy armor and a big boomstick gets in close while archer/ centurion support
GRF-1N Griffin     (GLT-4P Guillotine)
- instead of Guillotine's short-range arsenal, I would say that Griffin's PPC and LRMs will be better for a fire-support lance; PPC will not run out of ammo
- or, if you really want a Guillotine, take GLT-4P

Flanker lance
Dervish 6M- decent medium fire support mech with good speed/ jump for flanking movements
CNS-3M Cronus
- simply as not to have two identical 'Mechs in one lance if I can replace one with something less common  ;)
- Cronus is more or less replacement for Unseen WVR-6M

Scout/ skirmirsher lance
Sentinel 3K - Good speed and decent firepower for a light medium
CLNT-2-3T Clint
- instead of Lyran 'Mech, I 'd take Clint from Capellan Confederation (Treaty of Kapteyn ally)
HER-4K Hermes III
- Large lasers are more suited for scout operations - they deal more damage than AC-5; you can fire one and deal more damage, or fire both and overheat a bit.
- no explosive ammo
-for inti-infantry use this lance has got a "Mercury"
HER-2M Hermes II "Mercury"
- Marik design instead of a Lyran one
- pretty effective against infantry too
- it has much better protection and nice 7/11 speed

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2012, 10:44:48 »
I like the company structure, and feel that Martian has some good choices...but I disagree on some of the replacements.

For instance, I would replace the Atlas with just about any other assault.  In-universe, they are primarily Davion, Kurita, or Lyran machines while the FWL has never produced them.  I am sure they have them, but if you want a faction-flavorful company to be seen as such by an average opponent, I would replace it with either a Battlemaster, as suggested, or even a Cyclops or BNC-3M Banshee .  We have canon examples of FWLM forces using the former, while the latter is underated to a large degree.

The Centurion sees large use in Marik-based organizations.  For instance, a classic Regulan Hussar fire lance utilizes two Archers, a Trebuchet, and a Centurion (or swap out two TBTs for a single ARC).  The Capellan Confederation also uses an inordinate number of CN9s, and the Lyran Commonwealth has a very effective variation (the CN9-AL)--though I do agree that when people see a Centurion, they often think "AFFS" first and foremost.

I do not have a problem with the GTL as a FWLM design (which it very much is), but my grognardism makes me yearn for a non-Star League design in this timeframe, irrespective of the 90s-era TRO 3025.  While not as devastating as  Guillotine, one could always choose a Quickdraw or Rifleman, let alone a Warhammer or Marauder, in a fire lance.

I would never, ever, replace a WVR-6M with a stock WVR-6R if I had the choice, let alone in a FWLM unit.  And I do not have a problem with two of them--more's the better in my estimation.  I really like the Cronus, but its date of production precludes it being in a 3025-era company.  And the Dervish, while used by everybody in this timeframe, is again a more Lyran or Federated Suns design; try a Quickdraw if you don't already have one.  Less LRMs on-target, but more concentrated short-ranged firepower if you use the right variant.  I actually like the inclusion of the HBK here, but do not forget to look into variants that swap out the meatcannon for a longer-ranged and more diversified weapons suite.

For the Sentinel (see GTL comments above as well) or Clint, I'd take either a Hermes II for flavor, or a Phoenix Hawk for overall effectiveness (or an Assassin, which was heavily used by the FWLM per the original 3025).  But I like the nod to the Hermes and its bigger III brother, which are underused and are nice changes of pace from the basically lackluster stock variant.  Again, we have canon Regulan forces using FS9s, but I agree they are seldom considered a "Marik" design by the general populace.

So, I'd suggest:

Command Lance
BLR-1G Battlemaster or CP-10-Z Cyclops or BNC-3M Banshee
AWS-8Q Awesome
STK-3R Stalker
ON1-K Orion

Heavy/Fire Lance
ARC-2R Archer or WHM-6R Warhammer or MAD-3MMarauder
TBT-5N (or J) Trebuchet
CN9-A Centurion
HBK-4G Hunchback or RFL-3N Rifleman

Strike Lance
QKD-4H Quickdraw
WVR-6M Wolverine
GRF-1N Griffin
HER-4K Hermes III

Recon Lance
PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk or ASN-21 Assassin
CDA-3C Cicada
HER-2S Hermes II
HER-2M Hermes

What I like is the inclusion of 16 'mechs.  Plus it out to 18 or 20, and you can comfortably represent a battalion at a company level in a campaign, having a distinctly different company-structure each game.  For light 'Mechs, I would suggest the omnipresent 'bug' 'Mechs as well Fleas.  That way you can represent a heavy, medium, or light company with the designs you have on hand...
« Last Edit: 27 October 2012, 10:51:28 by Failure16 »
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2012, 11:46:58 »
The Centurion sees large use in Marik-based organizations.  For instance, a classic Regulan Hussar fire lance utilizes two Archers, a Trebuchet, and a Centurion (or swap out two TBTs for a single ARC).
That's very interesting. May I ask what book this information is from? I have thought that Centurion is quite rare in the FWLM (with some exceptions in the form of some salvaged 'Mechs). Centurion used to be built on Raman II (which is quite far away from the Free Worlds League) in the Federated Suns space and then since 3012 on New Avalon.

I really like the Cronus, but its date of production precludes it being in a 3025-era company.
It has been in production since 3031 and it sports no advanced technology. Gilmour MilTech was founded in 3023 and was "maintaining links to the FWLM via what were officially mercenary contracts." I would say it's perfectly acceptable for a game taking place in 3025.

It doesn't matter too much since in Succession Wars era everyone uses everything. It's more a personal taste than anything else.

monty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2012, 12:25:22 »

The Centurion sees large use in Marik-based organizations.  For instance, a classic Regulan Hussar fire lance utilizes two Archers, a Trebuchet, and a Centurion (or swap out two TBTs for a single ARC).  The Capellan Confederation also uses an inordinate number of CN9s, and the Lyran Commonwealth has a very effective variation (the CN9-AL)--though I do agree that when people see a Centurion, they often think "AFFS" first and foremost.

That's very interesting. May I ask what book this information is from? I have thought that Centurion is quite rare in the FWLM (with some exceptions in the form of some salvaged 'Mechs). Centurion used to be built on Raman II (which is quite far away from the Free Worlds League) in the Federated Suns space and then since 3012 on New Avalon.

TRO:3025. The Trebuchet entry describes how Marik favours using Arches & Trebuchets together and says that these lances often contain an Archer, 2 Trebuchets & a Centurion & are a common lance configuration with the Regulan Hussars.

Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum.
Let him who desires peace prepare for war. (Vegetius)

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2012, 13:34:14 »
TRO:3025. The Trebuchet entry describes how Marik favours using Arches & Trebuchets together and says that these lances often contain an Archer, 2 Trebuchets & a Centurion & are a common lance configuration with the Regulan Hussars.

Thanks. I wonder how they managed that if the Centurion has never been produced here. (as far I know)

I guess that someone, who wrote that bit, forget to place Centurion manufacturing line to FWL.
Or, as second possibility, he thought that FWL inherited some Star League Centurions (which, now we know, was impossible).
Or he just waved his hand and said Corean Enterprises in FWL is as good Corean Enterprise in FedSuns.

It seems more plausible than reality in which Federated Suns exports BattleMechs across the Inner Sphere behind its borders in fires of the First Succession War.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2012, 14:43:39 »
Monty already gave the primary source for my reasoning.  Flawed as TRO 3025 may be in many respects, that particular bit of data has long influenced many players, including several on these baords, giving it significant credence as far as "average players" are concerned which is the main thrust of many arguments in this and similar threads.

It may not be unreasonable to also extrapolate/assume that Corean Enterprises on Stewart in the FWL at one time produced Centurions and possibly produced spare parts to keep the ones present during our target timeframe viable front-line machines.  Indeed, extrapolating from the BNC-3Q Banshee, one might postulate that the similarly-armed CN9-AH may have started life as a FWL-based project.  But all that is supposition and I suppose has little bearing on the thread as it stands.

To reiterate, I generally agree with many of your proposed swaps (though I admittedly offered up some of my own), but I continue to disagree with the use of Cronus within a 3025-era force.  Its production date six years after that is my primary source of contention, but the fluff 'relegating' the (wonderful) CRS-3M to militia and foreign buyers similarly precludes the use of a Cronus in a typical 3025-era FWLM company--which is what I *personally* presumed that Vonshroom was after. 

Furthermore, I understand that "3025" can mean many things to many people, but to me it means the 3SW era.  Anything post 3030 would arguably the 4SW era or any other moniker other than "3025".  That may be where our particular friction on this point lies.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
--A. Duritz

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2012, 14:49:21 »
It seems more plausible than reality in which Federated Suns exports BattleMechs across the Inner Sphere behind its borders in fires of the First Succession War.
I don't know about SW1, but becouse FS and FWL have little common border and therefore limited conflict, it might not be excluded to say that those nations had some arms trade going on. Actually I remember reading something about relatively good relations between FS and FWL, and therefore announcement of FedCom alliance in 3022 came as a surprise from the left field.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2012, 14:55:26 »
That may be where our particular friction on this point lies.
There's no point in arguing.

I got one idea. I don't like Quickdraw or Dervish too much. For lance leader I would use EXT-4A Exterminator. I don't know what experiences other players had with it, but for me it has always worked well.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2012, 15:20:59 »
Nah, no one here is arguing.   :)

I was going to say something quite along the lines of what Matti just espoused, but I'll suffice to say that I agree with his reasoning wholeheartedly on this point.  Putting that aside, however...

Sure, the EXT-4A is a great design.  As I said above, I generally do not really use the low-tek TRO 2750 designs myself for certain reasons, but do not begrudge others who do (and rightfully should, since they form a part of the game's universe and have for many, many years).  On the other hand, I have four of the blasted models and should really find something to do with them other than stick all four into my long-term ELH/SLDF force.  Hrm...

Tangential thought:  Vonshroom, is this company something you plan to procure miniatures for?  I ask because that would likely sway many peoples' thoughts/suggestions.  I, for one, would suggest far fewer Unseen designs, for example.  And in that case, the low-tek SLDF machines begin to make a lot of sense in a pure cost/benefit analysis.
--A. Duritz

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2012, 21:40:06 »
I may produce mini's but was not planning on it per se.
For The Archon!

katya_Kerensky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2012, 09:25:10 »
Actually last weekend I played a FWL company in a team game, 12,000 points  looked like this

Split up a little bit to give players command over different parts of the company the unit was scattered over a wide area with different players fighting off a lyran raid.

Command /Fire lance
Cyclops CP-10-Q
Awesome 8T
Trebucket (Box Set)
Whitworth (Box Set)
Hunchback 4J

Line Element
Orion (command)
Marauder 3M

Strike Element
Wolverine 6M
Quickdraw (Box Set)

Recon Lance
Hermes Mercury
Clint (Box Set)
Spider (Box Set)

While not super min max cannon mechs it had the feel of a garrison unit.  And the looks on the lyran teams faces at the number of LRM's coming from the city made the Awesome Cyclops and Hunchback a surprise.

If I have to say anything I remember reading Marik are the biggest users of the Wolverine out of the states but that doesn't mean it has to be  6M  any Wolverine will do,  Orion's are musts as far as big stompy line mechs.  Assaults should be a minimal in this time period as they don't make many  and PPC's are not rare just not very common so if you field a griffin look at options like the lyran one with the large laser instead, and mechs like the MAD 3M are your friend.
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."
City Fighting-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20092.0.html
Sword of Light-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18206.msg416054.html#msg416054
Lyran Guards-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18212.msg411418.html#msg411418
3rd Edition love-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18214.0.html

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2012, 11:04:22 »
Marik is noted for fielding a large proportion of 20T "bug 'Mechs" in its recon elements: LCT, WSP, STG.  On the other hand, it supplements those "lighter lights" with a more fast mediums like the HER II, ASN, and CDA than others, so overall they're still competitive.  The HER-2M was still only being produced in limited numbers at that particular time, but was becoming more widely available as you get beyond 2025, and its 7/11 speed make it a lethal "backstabber" to toss into a Recon unit.  How can you argue about adding a CDA with a PPC to a "scout" lance?  Ten-point hits tend to do nasty things to light 'Mechs.

The HBK-4G is kind-of a standard, but both the CC and FWL field a high proportion of variants, notably the -4H and -4J.  Personally, I love both.  The -4H is a tough trooper, similar to a CN or ENF in effect, while the -4J offers good LRM fire-support with a deadly array of backup lasers when the missles run out, and makes a good alternative to a DV or WTH.

I agree with most of Failure16's argument's, but not all of his choices.  For example, the GLT might be better replaced by a GHR (a similarly nasty jumping in-fighter), which is also commonly fielded by FWL units, more frequently than the remaining SL era GLTs.  The GHR and GLT are functionally very similar.

Light Brigade

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 06 November 2012, 13:35:15 »
Marik is noted for fielding a large proportion of 20T "bug 'Mechs" in its recon elements: LCT, WSP, STG.  On the other hand, it supplements those "lighter lights" with a more fast mediums like the HER II, ASN, and CDA than others, so overall they're still competitive.  The HER-2M was still only being produced in limited numbers at that particular time, but was becoming more widely available as you get beyond 2025, and its 7/11 speed make it a lethal "backstabber" to toss into a Recon unit.  How can you argue about adding a CDA with a PPC to a "scout" lance?  Ten-point hits tend to do nasty things to light 'Mechs.

Because the PPC-Cicada is used primarily by House Liao  ^-^
But its a nice 'Mech, indeed^^
"Invade Skye? Forcing Lord Kurita to grovel at our feet would be less dangerous than ordering us to invade Skye!"
Kurita officer upon hearing his unit's assignment.

"If you enjoy the irony of zooming across the universe in a JumpShip, only to be forced to ride a jackass six klicks through a downpour, then man, you've got it made in these successor states."
From the comedy holoseries M.P.'s Jump Circus.

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #15 on: 08 November 2012, 09:44:07 »
Because the PPC-Cicada is used primarily by House Liao  ^-^
But its a nice 'Mech, indeed^^

Battlefield salvage solves that problem, or a Marik Cicada pilot saw a Liao variant in battle, spent his life savings buying parts, and had his tech refit his Mech.  Heck maybe he was smart and got rid of the MGs for some armor....
« Last Edit: 08 November 2012, 13:54:15 by billtfor3 »
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 08 November 2012, 10:38:20 »
a Mario Cicada pilot

What's Luigi driving?

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2012, 13:53:33 »
Auto correct is not your friend..... :-*
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

Light Brigade

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2012, 14:04:56 »
Battlefield salvage solves that problem, or a Marik Cicada pilot saw a Liao variant in battle, spent his life savings buying parts, and had his tech refit his Mech.  Heck maybe he was smart and got rid of the MGs for some armor....

Then his wife saw that he spend all his money, and got herself divorced. Subsequently, the 'MechWarrior gets a drunkard, kicked out of the FWLM, and ultimatively joins Wilson's Hussars  :D

Seriously, the PPC-Cicada isn't a typical Marik-'Mech, though the FWLM might possess a few.
"Invade Skye? Forcing Lord Kurita to grovel at our feet would be less dangerous than ordering us to invade Skye!"

"If you enjoy the irony of zooming across the universe in a JumpShip, only to be forced to ride a jackass six klicks through a downpour, then man, you've got it made in these successor states."

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 08 November 2012, 14:12:33 »
7/11 with a PPC, what's not to like?  Your right its not a typical one, but seriously if you had a choice between a stock Cicada and the PPC toting one, it wouldn't be a hard choice would it? Lol

Wraith

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
  • Catalyst Field Agent #500
« Reply #20 on: 08 November 2012, 15:59:24 »
Pretty good overall, couple small suggestions to make more Marik  }:)

you should bump the Stalker to the fire lance and move the Hunchback into the command/assault lance.  You gotta have a Trebuchet for Marik, maybe replace the Centurion in the fire lance.  Get an Assassin in there too, and remove the Sentinel.

Great work overall
Wraith
Catalyst Field Agent #500
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 08 November 2012, 20:03:19 »

Command/ assault lance

Banshee 3e-Good armour and speed

Trebuchet 5N- Lots of LRM's for fire support

Flanker lance

Scout/ skirmirsher lance
Assassin - Good speed and decent firepower for a light medium

Thinking about swapping in a Quickdraw for the second Wolvie thoughts...?
For The Archon!

kuttsinister7

• Master Sergeant
  • I send recon, then artillery, then main forces...
« Reply #22 on: 08 November 2012, 22:21:04 »
Awesome forces...really liking the loadout.
If you can't reach for the stars, then call the Doom Stars. We will fix that for you...

Light Brigade

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 08 November 2012, 23:16:13 »
7/11 with a PPC, what's not to like?  Your right its not a typical one, but seriously if you had a choice between a stock Cicada and the PPC toting one, it wouldn't be a hard choice would it? Lol

Hey, I like the 'Mech, too, but it just isn't a typical Marik 'Mech, but it is suppossed to be a typical Marik Heavy Company  ;)
Btw, replacing the Wolverine 6R with a Quickdraw 5A would be nice idea, indeed. The 'Mech has less armor, but a very nice armament and enough heat sinks too use it's weapons. It's also quite common in the FWL.
In addition, I would replace the Banshee 3E with a Banshee 3Q. The Banshee 3Q is basically another Hunchback, but it has more armor, and has very nice melee attacks. It is also a Marik variant.

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 08 November 2012, 23:46:39 »
Hey, I like the 'Mech, too, but it just isn't a typical Marik 'Mech, but it is suppossed to be a typical Marik Heavy Company  ;)
Btw, replacing the Wolverine 6R with a Quickdraw 5A would be nice idea, indeed. The 'Mech has less armor, but a very nice armament and enough heat sinks too use it's weapons. It's also quite common in the FWL.
In addition, I would replace the Banshee 3E with a Banshee 3Q. The Banshee 3Q is basically another Hunchback, but it has more armor, and has very nice melee attacks. It is also a Marik variant.

Perfect the 3C is staying and the banshee's now a 3Q Wolvie 2 is now a Quickdraw

Awesome 8Q
Banshee 3Q
Stalker 3F
Orion 1K

Archer 2R
Trebuchet 3Q
Guillotine 1N
Hunchback 4G

Quickdraw 4G
Dervish 6M
Griffin 1N
Wolverine 6M

Assassin 21
Cicada 3C
Hermes II 2S
Firestarter 9H

I was thinking about adding a lance or two of vehicles to this force, and was also looking for some suggestions on those, I would like to use all hover for at least 1 lance.
For The Archon!

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 09 November 2012, 09:34:23 »
Galleons and Harrassers.  They are even fluffed as being designed to work together.  Add a Lance of Warrior VTOLs (the LRM variant), and you have a mean flanker force that drops armor for mobility, but hits hard.

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 10 November 2012, 02:01:20 »
Like the warriors, and harassers, what about some Heavy units and a Partison or two for AA?
For The Archon!

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #27 on: 10 November 2012, 15:03:00 »
Like the warriors, and harassers, what about some Heavy units and a Partison or two for AA?

For heavies, I'd do a lance of 2-3 Ontos LRM tanks paired with 1-2 standard Ontos tanks for a powerful indirect fire support lance that can defend itself.  Each Ontos LRM tank throws 60 LRMs and the standard Ontos tank throws 10 LRMs, so you'll be able to lay down 140 to 190 LRMs per turn.  Each standard Ontos mounts 8 medium lasers, so if anyone tries to close, they'll run into 8 to 16 medium lasers.  Indirect fire is a good way for tanks to contribute, since, they're easier to cripple/destroy than mechs in direct combat.

The Ontos is a classic Leaguer tank, and is more heavily armored than, say, an LRM Carrier. Those large LRM volleys will also induce more control rolls on fighters than the Partisan's four AC/5s.  (Although there is a Partisan LRM tank that also throw 60 LRMs.)
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 10 November 2012, 20:17:40 »
  (Although there is a Partisan LRM tank that also throw 60 LRMs.)

I LOVE my PartyVans !!!

I made a thread about this a while ago .

So far as I know there has NEVER been any official artwork of
the Partisan LRM variant .
No mini of the variant has ever been made .

The pic for it on MegaMek is just a regular partisan with 4 tubes in place of the guns .
( Just like the Unseen Thunderbolt LRM tube )
It was just done out of speculation IIRC .

I've just been using LRM carriers to represent them for years because using a slightly
modified Partisan turret seems to be almost wrong because the mini doesn't  represent it well .

I tell other players of course but with the LRM carrier they remember what it is and with a
modified Partisan at some point they say " Oh CRAP , I forgot that was the LRM version" .

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #29 on: 11 November 2012, 18:43:46 »

The HBK-4G is kind-of a standard, but both the CC and FWL field a high proportion of variants, notably the -4H and -4J.  Personally, I love both.  The -4H is a tough trooper, similar to a CN or ENF in effect, while the -4J offers good LRM fire-support with a deadly array of backup lasers when the missles run out, and makes a good alternative to a DV or WTH.

I agree with most of Failure16's argument's, but not all of his choices.  For example, the GLT might be better replaced by a GHR (a similarly nasty jumping in-fighter), which is also commonly fielded by FWL units, more frequently than the remaining SL era GLTs.  The GHR and GLT are functionally very similar.

To be fair, I was arguing against the inclusion of a GTL in this timeframe.  Nice choices otherwise, though.  I am a major fan of all things Hunchback...They are common enough to not be considered munchy and offer enough breadth to cover most of the bases that the sometimes underweight FWLM forces lack.
--A. Duritz

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #30 on: 11 November 2012, 19:00:23 »
Perfect the 3C is staying and the banshee's now a 3Q Wolvie 2 is now a Quickdraw

Awesome 8Q
Banshee 3Q
Stalker 3F
Orion 1K

Archer 2R
Trebuchet 3Q
Guillotine 1N
Hunchback 4G

Quickdraw 4G
Dervish 6M
Griffin 1N
Wolverine 6M

Assassin 21
Cicada 3C
Hermes II 2S
Firestarter 9H

I was thinking about adding a lance or two of vehicles to this force, and was also looking for some suggestions on those, I would like to use all hover for at least 1 lance.

Can I suggest a change? Drop the Guillotine (a good Mech, mind you) in favor of the MAD-3M Marauder? You lose the jump jets of the Guillotine, but gain a tough heavy that can put in an AC-5, two large lasers, and two medium lasers- with no heat problems, which is almost unheard of for a 3025-era heavy. It's a great bodyguard for other large units like the Awesome- while the big guy cools down, the Marauder stands guard over it. This works well too for anyone snooping near your Archers or Trebuchets. But its real best role is as the spearhead of the assault- since it doesn't heat up, it can continue bringing pain every turn, and as it advances the lasers get nastier as their numbers improve. It might be the best heavy of the 3025 era- and since it serves alongside my beloved Orion, that really says a lot.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #31 on: 13 November 2012, 11:53:34 »
To be fair, I was arguing against the inclusion of a GTL in this timeframe.  Nice choices otherwise, though.  I am a major fan of all things Hunchback...They are common enough to not be considered munchy and offer enough breadth to cover most of the bases that the sometimes underweight FWLM forces lack.

Odd, I thought you were arguing for a different variant of the GLT.  I still think that the GHR is a more "representative" 'Mech for a Marik force, although the GLT isn't "incorrect". 

The other posters were right, and I was mistaken in thinking (without checking) that the CDA-3C was used by both Liao and Marik.  It's not "out of the question", but definitely not as common in a Marik force as the basic model (which is a somewhat underwhelming design).

The main thing about the Company that's shaping up is that it's far too top-heavy to look like a Marik unit.  I'd be strongly tempted to trade out the BNC for a MAD-3M, leaving 2 Assaults and 2 high-end Heavies in the Command Lance.  3-4 Assaults  in a so-called "typical" Company starts looking a bit "Steiner-ish".

Light Brigade

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 14 November 2012, 01:12:21 »
Odd, I thought you were arguing for a different variant of the GLT.  I still think that the GHR is a more "representative" 'Mech for a Marik force, although the GLT isn't "incorrect". 

The other posters were right, and I was mistaken in thinking (without checking) that the CDA-3C was used by both Liao and Marik.  It's not "out of the question", but definitely not as common in a Marik force as the basic model (which is a somewhat underwhelming design).

The main thing about the Company that's shaping up is that it's far too top-heavy to look like a Marik unit.  I'd be strongly tempted to trade out the BNC for a MAD-3M, leaving 2 Assaults and 2 high-end Heavies in the Command Lance.  3-4 Assaults  in a so-called "typical" Company starts looking a bit "Steiner-ish".

Well, it's suppossed to be a heavy company, even House Marik have a few of those...
Why shouldn't it include 3 Assault 'Mechs?

In addition, according to the TRO:3025 the CDA-3C is used mainly by House Liao. Thus, every House might have a few of those, but they should be quite rare. Especially, since the Cicada isn't a very common 'Mech in general. Btw, the same is true for the Grasshopper.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #33 on: 15 November 2012, 22:32:27 »
For heavies, I'd do a lance of 2-3 Ontos LRM tanks paired with 1-2 standard Ontos tanks for a powerful indirect fire support lance that can defend itself.  Each Ontos LRM tank throws 60 LRMs and the standard Ontos tank throws 10 LRMs, so you'll be able to lay down 140 to 190 LRMs per turn.  Each standard Ontos mounts 8 medium lasers, so if anyone tries to close, they'll run into 8 to 16 medium lasers.  Indirect fire is a good way for tanks to contribute, since, they're easier to cripple/destroy than mechs in direct combat.

The Ontos is a classic Leaguer tank, and is more heavily armored than, say, an LRM Carrier. Those large LRM volleys will also induce more control rolls on fighters than the Partisan's four AC/5s.  (Although there is a Partisan LRM tank that also throw 60 LRMs.)

I'd second this, and Marik runs 5 tank lances in this timeframe.

I've run 1x Devastator, 1x Schrek and 3x Ontos LRM in a lance, protected by 2 sets of 3x Goblin w/ SRM Infantry Platoon, 1x Bulldog and 1x Bulldog LRM.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016