Author Topic: Clan Jade Falcon Thread II: Falcon Harder. I SAID HARDER!  (Read 212964 times)

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
Re: Clan Jade Falcon Thread II: Falcon Harder. I SAID HARDER!
« Reply #390 on: 21 October 2015, 12:35:15 »

Ok, took a stab at colour since you believed in me Von Jankmon ...

Belief justified.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #391 on: 21 October 2015, 16:31:53 »
I'll take 'shivved in the back by Cinthy just before her greatest triumph'. That kid is just too... weird. Either she's the tool of Malvina's demise, or will someday rise up as the kind of monster that even Malvina would find horrifying.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #392 on: 21 October 2015, 18:33:58 »
I'll take 'shivved in the back by Cinthy just before her greatest triumph'. That kid is just too... weird. Either she's the tool of Malvina's demise, or will someday rise up as the kind of monster that even Malvina would find horrifying.

No no no.  This deserves better than that.  I want something like a trial of possession for the clan right in the middle of of a raging battle.  Make the battle with another clan so both sides stay out of it.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #393 on: 21 October 2015, 19:32:17 »

If Cynthy ever speaks, it would be to go 'la la la la la laaaaa' in a creepy way
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Fowl Weather Friend

• Private
« Reply #394 on: 21 October 2015, 21:40:04 »
The Night Gyr is an incredible walking pile of guns.....

Ohh, the Night Gyr sounds fun!   

It's a drag they aren't still being made in the Dark Age, all of my minis are in our Clan's Dark Age scheme.  This could be a good chance to try out Delta Galaxy's scheme and build an Invasion Era force, but I've never let something as trivial as cannon stop me. 

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #395 on: 21 October 2015, 22:53:22 »
The Falcons still use the Night Gyr in the Dark Ages; its on their RAT and at least one appeared in a novel. They're far from extinct, but probably would be uncommon.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #396 on: 22 October 2015, 00:19:10 »
... its on their RAT ...

Which RAT? I only have one and it's not there.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #397 on: 22 October 2015, 03:55:43 »
Which RAT? I only have one and it's not there.

It's on the Falcon RAT in FM 3145, slot 22 (which means that it can only be found in the Raptor and Turkina Keshiks, effectively).

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #398 on: 22 October 2015, 05:27:49 »

Ok, took a stab at colour since you believed in me Von Jankmon ...

Just catching up on the thread....this is beautiful, Bren.  I'd get a couple of patches if any were made.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #399 on: 22 October 2015, 12:52:05 »
The Falcons still use the Night Gyr in the Dark Ages; its on their RAT and at least one appeared in a novel. They're far from extinct, but probably would be uncommon.

Oh I don't mean 'extinct' as in 'none exist'- there aren't many Mech designs in history that we can say that about. But certainly the factories that made it in the Homeworlds don't make it anymore (and aren't available to the Falcons anymore anyway), and we've seen nothing suggesting that they make it in the OZ the way the Turkina eventually was. But it's worth noting that with the Falcons producing the Jade Hawk, Thor II, and Loki II, there's not a lot of reason to be building another heavy Mech, no matter how handy it is in combat.

My bet is that while the Gyr still shows up in the Touman in a few places, the few remaining are increasingly rare- and increasingly hard to maintain.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #400 on: 22 October 2015, 13:05:46 »
Hey, at least laser heat sinks are a bit more widespread now. That has to help the logistics at least a little.

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #401 on: 22 October 2015, 14:26:45 »
Worktroll got me thinking about Noritomo Helmer, and I forgot what Cluster he started off in - had to go back and skim through the novel. Anyway I figured I'd do the insignia of the 305th Assault Cluster;

'a swooping red falcon trailing a ring of blood around a shadowed green world'

Something's not looking quite right with it - can't put my finger on it. Maybe I've just been looking at it too long.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #402 on: 22 October 2015, 14:36:49 »
Maybe rotate it a little? It looks good but the horizontal trail doesn't quite qualify as "swooping" to me.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #403 on: 22 October 2015, 17:29:06 »
Excellent stuff, Bren. Might be better in the Fan Art section, though.  O0

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #404 on: 23 October 2015, 07:51:21 »
The planet looks a bit like a bowling ball.  Maybe some ice caps at the poles would make it look more like a planet?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #405 on: 24 October 2015, 06:27:47 »
So with Republic III coming out and the Falcons possibly getting their mittens on Interface armour..do folks think that the Falcons will start putting Elestar's in that stuff?  It seems that the Falcons are now really RAWR WE ARE THE EVIL CLAN *angry bird noises* to the Nth degree and quite handidly stealing that crown from the Jaguars, it kinda makes sense at least to me.  It also goes hand in hand, Elestars are suppose to look rather inhuman and the Interface armour just ramps this up well past 11 and turns the dial up to 64.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Seras

• Private
« Reply #406 on: 24 October 2015, 13:58:10 »
Falcons !!

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #407 on: 26 October 2015, 09:13:19 »
Maybe I’m too much of a traditionalist, but I’m not excited about interface armor of any kind – including EI.  Clan superiority should come from the breeding program not technology.  I’m not opposed to new tech, but it shouldn’t be the source of clan power.

Fowl Weather Friend

• Private
« Reply #408 on: 26 October 2015, 09:28:06 »
Maybe I’m too much of a traditionalist, but I’m not excited about interface armor of any kind – including EI.  Clan superiority should come from the breeding program not technology.  I’m not opposed to new tech, but it shouldn’t be the source of clan power.

I agree, there's a reason why the Clans have stuck with the Sibko program for so long.  Fancy toys and gizmos are no replacement for battle-tested, trueborn warriors.  I'm certain that the EI is going to come at a significant cost, both in the lore and game mechanics. 

That being said, I'm totally going to find a way to build EI into a Shrike.  Defeating the stravags of the Inner Sphere with their own technology only proves the truth of the Clan way.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #409 on: 26 October 2015, 10:14:42 »
Incorporating Enhanced Imaging into a 'Mech is pretty simple. For all intents and purposes you go "That 'Mech has it," and then there's a small modification to the price of the cockpit and that's about it.

Fowl Weather Friend

• Private
« Reply #410 on: 26 October 2015, 14:20:56 »
That'll teach me to post before having my coffee!

I thought EI was the abbreviation for the new XTRO Interface rather than Enhanced Imaging.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #411 on: 26 October 2015, 15:09:07 »

+Crow T. Robot+

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #412 on: 26 October 2015, 15:59:16 »
Going forward, I'll stop cluttering up the thread here and create a thread in the Fan Art section ...

but I figured I'd post the results of somewhat going back to the drawing board (literally) for the 305th Assault Cluster's insignia:

Stand-out problem right away is the trail angle and falcon angle don't match up ... but I'm liking how this one feels a whole lot more.

Thanks for the feedback all - and check for a new art thread in a week or so! I'm eyeing those 12th Falcon Regulars next I think ...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #413 on: 26 October 2015, 16:34:59 »
Just make the eye bright jade green ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #414 on: 26 October 2015, 18:23:07 »
As long as you're sticking with Jade Falcon units, I don't see how this would be clutter.

I like the planet, the trail, and the falcon(once it's eye is green), but I'm not crazy about the black.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

BaldDen

• Sergeant
« Reply #415 on: 09 November 2015, 11:22:51 »

Nice logo! O0
But black border could be thinner...

Ascension

• Corporal
  • Asker of Questions
« Reply #416 on: 11 November 2015, 00:30:00 »
Pardon my intrusion, but since this is the Jade Falcon thread...

I've just reread the Jade Phoenix trilogy, and Ter Roshak spends a good bit of it obsessing over his former commander Roman Mattlov to an unhealthy degree... I decided to take a look at Sarna to see if Roman Mattlov himself might actually appear in fiction anywhere, and discovered in the process that FM: Crusader Clans apparently cites Mattlov as an Elemental-exclusive Bloodname post-REVIVAL, while Roman Mattlov is assuredly a 'MechWarrior in Ter Roshak's recollections.

I figure the simplest explanation would be that the Mattlov name became Elemental-exclusive between the spawning of Roman's sibko and the end of REVIVAL, with its last MechWarrior Bloodrights falling inactive? That seems a bit strange to me, but I suppose it could have been a result of the Clan's casualties during the invasion. Do you know of anything firmer than supposition that might be used to back that up?

(Honestly, cross-phenotype bloodlines confuse me in general, because Elementals and Aerospace Pilots are each so specialized that I can't imagine them being able to share much genetic material with any line from outside their phenotype without diluting the advantages of their heavy selective breeding, but that question's beyond the scope of this thread.)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #417 on: 11 November 2015, 00:59:13 »
It is mentioned in several cases that exclusive Bloodnames may still have bloodines that are of another Phenotype, even if only for political reasons. For example, the Falcons are very 'Mech-centric Clan, so an Elemental bloodline would normally be excluded from Khanship. By creating limited Mechwarrior lines, especially when combined with other powerful Bloodhouses (eg Pryde in this case) such a Bloodname house can get an advantage.

That's not the only reason by any means, but certainly is one of the most common.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #418 on: 11 November 2015, 05:12:39 »
I decided to take a look at Sarna to see if Roman Mattlov himself might actually appear in fiction anywhere, and discovered in the process that FM: Crusader Clans apparently cites Mattlov as an Elemental-exclusive Bloodname post-REVIVAL, while Roman Mattlov is assuredly a 'MechWarrior in Ter Roshak's recollections.

I figure the simplest explanation would be that the Mattlov name became Elemental-exclusive between the spawning of Roman's sibko and the end of REVIVAL, with its last MechWarrior Bloodrights falling inactive? That seems a bit strange to me, but I suppose it could have been a result of the Clan's casualties during the invasion. Do you know of anything firmer than supposition that might be used to back that up?

It appears that you are laboring under a false assumption.  The exclusivity refers to control of the breeding rights for that bloodname.  That Clan has exclusive (or near exclusive) breeding rights to those bloodnames and has fought hard to keep it that way.  When a bloodname appears under MechWarrior, Elemental or Fighter phenotypes, it doesn't mean that all members of that Bloodhouse are of that phenotype.  It simply means that over time the Bloodhouse's focus shifted towards that particular branch as their line produced a significant number of talented warriors of that type and far fewer of the other types.  Those Bloodnames listed under the General category regularly produce superior warriors of all three types.

The most extreme example was Phelan's bloodright where he fought MechWarriors, an Elemental AND an aerospace pilot but there are others.  House Osis is primarily a MechWarrior bloodname, but ilKhan Lincoln Osis was an Elemental.  Ghost Bear Khan Bjorn Jorgensson was from a MechWarrior bloodhouse but ultimately tested out as an aerospace fighter and became one of the best in Clan space.  During the Clan Invasion, he faced Khan Bourjon, a MechWarrior from an Aerospace Pilot Bloodname, for the Khanship.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Ascension

• Corporal
  • Asker of Questions
« Reply #419 on: 11 November 2015, 13:51:26 »
Ah. Thank you for the explanation.

Register