Author Topic: Warhawk availability  (Read 748 times)

wildkadabra

• Master Sergeant
Warhawk availability
« on: 31 January 2024, 13:58:36 »
In Rec Guide 20, it is said that the Warhawk is now nearly extinct in the Inner Sphere and that only the Scorpions have it now and have thus far refused to sell to the Sea Foxes.

Considering the Warhawk is one of the original Omnimechs, I am rather curious as to what lead to this decision with this particular chassis, especially considering that other ‘Mechs only produced in the HWs at the time seemed to have somehow found their way still to the Inner Sphere (looking at you Blood Asp).

Know that I am not questioning the decision itself, my question is more “academic” and aimed at the curiosity that lead to the creative process of such decision.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
Re: Warhawk availability
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2024, 12:06:18 »
Technological progress, the Wars of Reaving, the Jihad, evolving character, better homegrown designs, the IS Clans settling into their now-permanent homes, faction variety—all likely played a role phasing out the Warhawk from a factory line-up. Take your pick. They all fit to some degree.

Since there are plenty of individual BattleMech designs that survive 500 years of continual use, there's nothing stopping a Warhawk from showing up on a gaming table or say, the Brotherhood of Randis.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

wildkadabra

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2024, 00:50:18 »
Technological progress, the Wars of Reaving, the Jihad, evolving character, better homegrown designs, the IS Clans settling into their now-permanent homes, faction variety—all likely played a role phasing out the Warhawk from a factory line-up. Take your pick. They all fit to some degree.

Since there are plenty of individual BattleMech designs that survive 500 years of continual use, there's nothing stopping a Warhawk from showing up on a gaming table or say, the Brotherhood of Randis.

Thank you for the reply. My question however was more oriented towards the out of BT Universe reasons and more the creative decision itself. There are many other old clan 'Mechs that could have easily met the criteria that you have mentioned such as say a Gargoyle or the original Mad Dog where by now we have 4 different versions of. I guess what I mean to ask is as to what led to this particular 'Mech being chosen. Was it completely arbitrary, or was there a particular reason (or set of) that made it feel like this 'Mech in particular fit a specific niche.

It is not something that bothers me or prevents me from playing a Warhawk if I feel like it. It is more of something that I find curious as an outlier.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2024, 00:52:40 by wildkadabra »

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2024, 13:47:23 »
Ah, gotcha. Typically, development decision making and creative rationale is kept internal. The best answers I can provide point to the in-universe possibilities I outlined above and creative license.

BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

wildkadabra

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2024, 22:14:19 »
Understood, thank you for your answer regardless.