Author Topic: What's the Master Fields List?  (Read 2408 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
What's the Master Fields List?
« on: 14 July 2019, 17:30:28 »
So page 82 through 85 of A Time of War has this big table called the "Master Fields List."  Sure looks important, but after several going overs of the life modules section I still have no idea what this table is for.

Whole chapter is a bit of a mess to be honest, but this one has left me completely lost.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: What's the Master Fields List?
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2019, 17:43:33 »
Those are the Skill Fields referenced in the Master Schools List on pages 72-73.  Between the two, they tell you what skills you get at a discount by using a formal school (e.g., Technical College, Military Academy, etc.).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2019, 17:47:03 »
And if you'd like an example of how that works, just let me know...

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2019, 18:10:00 »
I think I get it.

So if I took police academy in stage 3 I have to take the basic field of police officer which means I have to meet the requirements listed under police officer on page 83.  If I also take detective advanced field I'll also need to hit the mins under detective as well.  Right?

For the skills listed, the requirement is that I have all of them by the end?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2019, 18:26:18 »
You're exactly right about meeting the various minimums.  The part I think you're missing is on pages 70-71, under "Fields".  What Fields do for you is give you 30 points in each skill for only 24 points paid.  Those 6 points per skill are often called the "Field Rebate".  The way they implement this is to say that a Field costs 30 XP multiplied by the number of skills in the Field.  You then get 6 XP multiplied by the number of skills in the Field back as Flex XP (the "Field Rebate").

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2019, 19:16:38 »
Don't think I've seen an RPG with so much math during character creation.  :o

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2019, 19:18:06 »
Never played ChartMaster, eh?  ^-^

Honestly, it's not that bad, though even I created a spreadsheet to make it easier...

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2019, 20:52:53 »
Just hope my players have the patience for it.   

Thanks for the help.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2019, 05:47:03 »
No problem!  And if you'd like help roughing out characters for your game, just PM me.  At this point, I've done hundreds of characters (mostly NPCs) with my spreadsheet, so it doesn't take very long any more.