Author Topic: 2011-03-09 Half a Warrior [Philip A. Lee]  (Read 4707 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
2011-03-09 Half a Warrior [Philip A. Lee]
« on: 09 March 2011, 02:02:31 »
A Snow Raven fighter Point is two warriors, not one.

Philip A. Lee shows us the bonds of camaraderie shared by the most aerospace-minded of the Clans, the Snow Ravens, in this Succession War-era story.

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
Re: 2011-03-09 Half a Warrior [Philip A. Lee]
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2011, 02:43:47 »
Just finished this story and liked it.It even has the political intrigue that the Ravens are famous for.
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2011, 19:30:27 »
decent story, if a bit predictable. the issue is bennet cooper was a star colonel and its been noted that by snow raven law only warriors of minimum rank of galaxy commander or star admiral can be elected to the rank of khan, sakhan and loremaster. since the sakhan (regardless of future crimes) and a noted star admiral is present i don;t see hy they would break the rule and elect a star colonel, especially one that noted he wasn't particularly good when it came to politics. seems to have been a large oversight on the part of the author IMO.
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2011, 19:46:05 »
decent story, if a bit predictable. the issue is bennet cooper was a star colonel and its been noted that by snow raven law only warriors of minimum rank of galaxy commander or star admiral can be elected to the rank of khan, sakhan and loremaster. since the sakhan (regardless of future crimes) and a noted star admiral is present i don;t see hy they would break the rule and elect a star colonel, especially one that noted he wasn't particularly good when it came to politics. seems to have been a large oversight on the part of the author IMO.
There was lots of research done, and a minimum rank law was never encountered.  According to Clan law overall, the only real requirement for a Khanship is a Bloodname.  I've heard talk on the boards about the Ravens having a "list" of succession, but I've never seen this documented in official sources regarding them.  Also, keep in mind this incident occurs early in the Clans' development (we're still in the Golden Century here), and most of the nuances that define the modern Clans are still in their gestational or infant periods.

Lastly, Bennett never claimed outwardly that he wasn't good at politics; that he kept to himself.  But even people who doubt themselves at first often surprise themselves (and others) by what they are truly capable of under pressure.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2011, 19:50:35 »
There was lots of research done, and a minimum rank law was never encountered.  According to Clan law overall, the only real requirement for a Khanship is a Bloodname.  I've heard talk on the boards about the Ravens having a "list" of succession, but I've never seen this documented in official sources regarding them.

Field Manual: Warden Clans, p124, for both.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2011, 19:59:38 »
Field Manual: Warden Clans, p124, for both.

naturally roosterboy knows best, that's the same page i have
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2011, 20:10:50 »
Hrm. Well, that somehow managed to slip under my radar (even after meticulous notes!) and through fact check.   :-\

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Author Page
Official Website

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2011, 20:20:41 »
spend more time in the raven thread, they're a good much of guys and they all really know their stuff, that's where i go for all my raveny questions
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2011, 20:27:15 »
Well, barring an official correction, you can think of it two ways: either Bennett was slated to be tapped by the Khan for Galaxy Commander (and thus would've been eligible if not for the Khan's untimely departure) and/or the concept of the "list" hadn't yet been formalized into Raven law this early in the Clan's history.

Author Page
Official Website

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2011, 20:33:55 »
Well, barring an official correction, you can think of it two ways: either Bennett was slated to be tapped by the Khan for Galaxy Commander (and thus would've been eligible if not for the Khan's untimely departure) and/or the concept of the "list" hadn't yet been formalized into Raven law this early in the Clan's history.

its not really that early in clan history, its been almost 100 years, so i don't buy the second reason at all, the first is a little iffy.

you're focusing on the wrong thing here, that part doesn't ruin the story, it makes it a little inaccurate, but that doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable
« Last Edit: 09 March 2011, 20:35:47 by Daishi411 »
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2011, 21:33:00 »
you're focusing on the wrong thing here, that part doesn't ruin the story, it makes it a little inaccurate, but that doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Author Page
Official Website

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2011, 12:45:45 »
just finished it, it was a good story and i really enjoyed it. I noticed the star colonel issue but ultimately it really didn't stop the story form being a really fun read

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2011, 13:26:44 »
really liked it!  Lots of characters, lots of intrigue, yet you KNEW who the story was about.  Very well done and enjoyable story  :)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 10 March 2011, 16:25:56 »
We need more like this one. O0

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2011, 00:14:57 »
It's early enough in Clan history that it wasn't a big deal to me.  Good story.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 22 March 2011, 08:47:30 »
That's a good one!
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"