Author Topic: Fall of the Aurigan Coalition  (Read 40610 times)

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
Fall of the Aurigan Coalition
« on: 29 November 2020, 06:49:06 »
Althought I enjoyed the videogame a lot (and still do), the retcon made by the House Arano book poses a few problems to me. As we have no other mention of the nation in any other book released afterwards (if there is any, please tell :)), it is my opinion that the Aurigan Coalition must have fallen some time later of the book events. This is my take on this:

As the FS began the 4th SW with their invasion of the CC, the Taurian government, in its paranoia, began to look again towards the Coalition as a loose end, a liability on their flank. Seeing Davion spies and puppets everywhere, they take things in their hands, but to not endanger their defenses, the TC begins to hire some mercenary commands, company size at most, to deal with the aurigans in a covert way, posing as pirates, hitting the borders, destabilizing even more the delicate situation in Coalition space.
As the Magistracy keeps looking more and more towards Andurien and the CC, it gives less and less suport to the aurigans.

The death knell comes with the ending of the 4SW and the beginning of the Andurien-Magistracy invasion of the CC. All suport is cut out, as the Magestrix focus completely on her war. Seeing the opportunity the TC invades the Aurigan Coalition to deal the last blow, forcing a "devious davion sympathizer" out of the game table. The Tc absorbs some Coalition worlds, and the rest devolve into independent entities, some failing to be viable. The Aurigan Coalition is no more, a footnote on history books about the Periphery as another failed state.

I'm thinking of even using this scenario as the setting of a ATOW game, with the players being mercenaries contracted to deal with the Coalition, and all the moral dilemmas they will have to deal with.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: Fall of the Aurigan Coalition
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2020, 08:06:37 »
Pretty much what I figured. I was operating under the belief Kamea gets killed by at least 3030 with no heirs and the entire thing unravels into independent worlds.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Sharkapult

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2020, 11:11:13 »
Doesn't even have to be a full on conflict. Most of the lords of those worlds seemed willing enough to team up with whoever gave them any advantage. I'd imagine a number of lords of those worlds changed flags rather quickly when the political winds shifted. The Coalition was precarious at best.

One obvious military blunder by Kamea and those lords would be HPGing the Taurians for security before the lasers cooled off.

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2020, 15:30:45 »
Pretty much what I figured. I was operating under the belief Kamea gets killed by at least 3030 with no heirs and the entire thing unravels into independent worlds.
Yeah, I figure Kamea dying in battle on Coromodir.

Doesn't even have to be a full on conflict. Most of the lords of those worlds seemed willing enough to team up with whoever gave them any advantage. I'd imagine a number of lords of those worlds changed flags rather quickly when the political winds shifted. The Coalition was precarious at best.

One obvious military blunder by Kamea and those lords would be HPGing the Taurians for security before the lasers cooled off.

The thing here is that the majority of the aurigan worlds are not absorbed into the Concordat, specially the core systems, which to me means that they don't ally with the TC, but instead are thrown into independence, either by choice (kind of an "every man for himself" situation) or by force. Perhaps the taurians promote independence movements in those planets to further debilitate the Coalition before dealing the final blow.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2020, 15:48:01 »
Or maybe minor enough to escape notice.   That's alot of retconning needed to mention them in every publication otherwise.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2020, 16:53:43 »
There is a mention of them in the newest RecGuide thought I believe its in the Succession Wars era section
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2020, 16:54:33 »
If they'd been stuck out past FWL space, the Marians would have been nomming them in the 50's/60's.
As it was, neither the Taurians nor the Canopians were particularly interested in annexing them.

Although that makes me wonder. How does their territory look next to that of the Fronc Reaches?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2020, 18:01:04 »
If they'd been stuck out past FWL space, the Marians would have been nomming them in the 50's/60's.
As it was, neither the Taurians nor the Canopians were particularly interested in annexing them.

Although that makes me wonder. How does their territory look next to that of the Fronc Reaches?
little to no overlap to my knowledge.

by the 3100's the aurigan confederacy's area has largely been absorbed by the CapCon though.

correction.. the Capcon didn't take over Aurigan Coalition space, just the previously unclaimed parts of the reach.

3025 map of the Reach:

vs the 3130 map of the Capcon: (their periphery border basically does not change between 3130's grey monday and 3150)

Fronc and the CapCon basically eat up the unclaimed parts of the 3025 map, 'west' of the coalition.
the Taurians gobble up some of the eastward worlds of the Coalition  after the 4th succession war (Aea, Regis Roost, and based on the location of the border, probably Katinka, Artru, and Qalzi) but Brinton actually seems to have left the TC in the process, likely falling under the sway of the Coalition. (of course i can't find any mention of Brinton on the pre-HBS maps..)
3040 map, after the TC's big colonization push in the 3030's:

they basically shrink after that but their border on that side basically remains unchanged even into the 3130's

so basically, i don't see any reason that some form of the Coalition couldn't still exist. it would just be overshadowed by all their neighbors.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2020, 19:56:16 by glitterboy2098 »

Phalanx

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2020, 20:49:11 »
We know that the Magistracy of Canopus are the only faction which officially recognizes the Aurigan Coalition, and it is never stated in the game or the sourcebook why the other powers don't.

My theory has always been that Taurian "Expansion" was actually a "Reconquista" of sorts that ended up depopulating some worlds(Remember Taurians are NOT signatories of the Ares Conventions).

I could see the Taurians agreeing to suspend the raids of Magistracy companies that operate in the independent worlds(like Majesty Metals and Manufacturing from the first campaign mission after the tutorial). Kyalla is also more interested in invasion plans of the CapCon with the Anduriens, so it is easy to see why she agrees to cut support for the Aurigans in exchange for not hindrance from the Taurians.

Also of note is a planet revealed in Interstellar Players 3(a product which came out BEFORE the HBS game): https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Aurigae

Althought I enjoyed the videogame a lot (and still do), the retcon made by the House Arano book poses a few problems to me. As we have no other mention of the nation in any other book released afterwards (if there is any, please tell :)), it is my opinion that the Aurigan Coalition must have fallen some time later of the book events. This is my take on this:

As the FS began the 4th SW with their invasion of the CC, the Taurian government, in its paranoia, began to look again towards the Coalition as a loose end, a liability on their flank. Seeing Davion spies and puppets everywhere, they take things in their hands, but to not endanger their defenses, the TC begins to hire some mercenary commands, company size at most, to deal with the aurigans in a covert way, posing as pirates, hitting the borders, destabilizing even more the delicate situation in Coalition space.
As the Magistracy keeps looking more and more towards Andurien and the CC, it gives less and less suport to the aurigans.

The death knell comes with the ending of the 4SW and the beginning of the Andurien-Magistracy invasion of the CC. All suport is cut out, as the Magestrix focus completely on her war. Seeing the opportunity the TC invades the Aurigan Coalition to deal the last blow, forcing a "devious davion sympathizer" out of the game table. The Tc absorbs some Coalition worlds, and the rest devolve into independent entities, some failing to be viable. The Aurigan Coalition is no more, a footnote on history books about the Periphery as another failed state.

I'm thinking of even using this scenario as the setting of a ATOW game, with the players being mercenaries contracted to deal with the Coalition, and all the moral dilemmas they will have to deal with.

What I have stated above is my own take on that.

Also other things to consider for your campaign:
1) Ana-Maria Centrella was a huge advocate for the Aurigan Coalition, so why was she unable to get through to her cousin. What happened to her? DId she have some role in Emma's ascension.

2) Why was the Aurigan Coalition wiped so cleanly from the record? Is there something about the Coalition that Comstar(or somebody) wanted to hide?

3) What happened to High Lady Arano and her Chief Advisors, including the Arano nobility?

4) Is there a connection between the Aurigan Coalition and the Aurigae system in the Rimward Deep Periphery?

5) Why are most of the Aurigan Coalition systems gone by the 3040s(and not just the Coalition itself)?

Best of luck with your campaign!
Make sure to share it here, so we can see how it turns out.

Statesman:  Our Warlord.

Warlord:  Your Statesman.

-Liaofan

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2020, 22:52:59 »
(of course i can't find any mention of Brinton on the pre-HBS maps..)

Brinton appears on the 2750 map in Handbook Major Periphery States, and is listed as a Taurian system in the Objectives: Periphery book.

A possible in universe explanation might be that as a world under quarantine, it's kept off of regular charts. Another option is that, again, as a world under quarantine, it's actual status within the Concordat is fuzzy, possibly having de-facto independence.

A third option is that someone forgot to put it on the maps a long time ago and subsequent writers decided to keep it that way as an in-joke.  ;D
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2020, 06:09:13 »
That happens.
Databases get corrupted and are not usable then they are bound to be reviewed. So suddenly the Comstar survey guys that need to review the planets for their relevance skyp over Brinton because they do not know they need to check he planet at those coordinates. And he remains in obscurity despite having rebounded and being mildly relevant again.

This happens in the real world today. I am convinced it will happen in the future as well.

Regarding the Reach, the importance of most of the Aurigan planets is purely local. They will not appear in a sphere-wide map. Coromodir, probably, and a few others. I am fairly sure some of the fouding planets like Guldra or are not relevant enough for a Comstar map. Let alone small outposts like Weldry. habitable planet, yes. Important in a local small power's structure, yes. relevant in an interstellar map, no.

I also think that the reach after kamea desintegrates. I think it even desintagrates DURING Kamea's reign. she is not shown to be a specially good ruler. It is only because she has the MoC bankrolling her that she is able to regain her realm. She muscles her way to power the same way that the Spinosas did, and we are not shown if she rules well at all. My guess it is that she is not a great ruler there and the whole thing unravels into independent planets again. Planets that trade with each other and are amicable, but to each one his own and each one protects itself from external treats like pirates. So they are not a polity anymore.

The Fronc Reaches can be seen as taking some of its steps to strengthen the relations between its former planets and to spread the benefits of belonging (production in one planet, military academy in another,...) as they have learned from the previous Aurigan experience.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 30 November 2020, 06:29:45 »
Brinton appears on the 2750 map in Handbook Major Periphery States, and is listed as a Taurian system in the Objectives: Periphery book.
It's also on the map on p. 37 of Field Report 2765: Periphery.

That map has Brinton, Girondas, Qalzi, Katinka, Artru, Gangtok, Guldra, Heliat, Coromodir, Rockwellawan and Portland as the TC's Brinton region, with the Brinton Defenders headquartered on Rockwellawan (1st), Artru (2nd) and Brinton (3rd).
Umgard, Smithon, Tyrlon, Itrom and all mapped systems "north and west" of that angle are Capellan, including namely Mangzhandian, Mechdur, Panzyr, Enkra, Bringdam, and Weldry. Only Herotitus is independent.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 30 November 2020, 07:47:29 »
What I have stated above is my own take on that.

Also other things to consider for your campaign:
1) Ana-Maria Centrella was a huge advocate for the Aurigan Coalition, so why was she unable to get through to her cousin. What happened to her? DId she have some role in Emma's ascension.

2) Why was the Aurigan Coalition wiped so cleanly from the record? Is there something about the Coalition that Comstar(or somebody) wanted to hide?

3) What happened to High Lady Arano and her Chief Advisors, including the Arano nobility?

4) Is there a connection between the Aurigan Coalition and the Aurigae system in the Rimward Deep Periphery?

5) Why are most of the Aurigan Coalition systems gone by the 3040s(and not just the Coalition itself)?

Best of luck with your campaign!
Make sure to share it here, so we can see how it turns out.

1) Considering the personality of Kyalla, I think it is quite probable Ana Maria was unable to convince her. Your hint to the possible support of Ana Maria to Emma is intriguing, I can see it totally happen

2)The thing is that only the Magistracy recognized the Coalition. I think ComStar simply didn't consider the Aurigan important enough to deserve any report. Probably a footnote that was archived once the Coalition fell. If you want to go to the ComStar conspiracy thing, maybe they knew of the Star League Cache, but not the exact location. With the destruction of the cache, there was no real reason for ComStar to keep tabs on an insignificant periphery state.

3) Thinking of my campaign I would say that the mercs will kidnap Madeira, the closest friend to Kamea, and lure her into a trap, one htat she will not escape, although have not thought the details yet. Outside my campaign my guess is she falls during the defense of Coromodir. Of the other nobles, some fall, but most simply become independent and fade into obscurity.

4)Beyond the name, no, I would think not. But you can always make it a last retreat of the Coalition people, a kind of Exodus.

5)Many planets have disappeared from the maps during the centuries since the fall of the Star League. Considering the unimportance of those systems, it is a plausible explanation. They simply don't matter enough to appear on maps, or simply their coordinates have been lost. Many of those planets will probably fail, become uninhabited.

Don't know if I will ever be able to make the campaign, but if it happens, will surely share the results.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 30 November 2020, 09:04:07 »
eh.. i dislike the idea that she's assassinated. from the intro to the game (which is after the restoration) it sounds like the Coalition was in big trouble even while she was alive.

3030 seems to a common theme date wise here.
what else is going on at that time?
the Andurien Succession. where the Magistracy allied with the Anduriens in a failed attempt to invade the CapCon.
as a Magistracy ally, the reformed Coalition would very likely have been swept up in that mess. and being right on the CapCon border, it is likely that the Coalition would have suffered a number of heavy raids during the Capellan counter-offensive of 3034-3035, which given their already limited military and industrial base, could have seen some pretty nasty results. especially if an inability for the Arano government to stop these raids causes the other Aurigan ruling houses to break ties with the Arano's. leading to a political crisis that likely would see several worlds breaking away from the Coalition to join the Taurians.
(worth noting too that in 3034 the CC world of Larsha, on the capcon/aurigan border, was raided by unknown periphery troops, as seen in the opening of the novel "Close Quarters". The identity of the raiders was never given in the novel or any later works. Perhaps those were Aurigan troops (either Mercs or Rampart Company) conducting attacks in support of Magistracy strategic plans. the PPC armed Atlas with the raiders would have been an odd sight in an aurigan unit, but not outside of possibility. especially for mercs)

and as far as Comstar goes.. my guess is that there are a large number of star league sites in the region (mentioned in the game, though only one (on Artru) is visited) and comstar wants to minimize the attention to aurigan's get politically in order to keep them from growing big enough to hinder comstar's efforts to locate, control, and salvage these sites.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2020, 09:48:41 by glitterboy2098 »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 30 November 2020, 10:18:05 »
The Aurigan Coalition was never taken serious as a state - only the Magistracy ever recognized them as a state for political reasons, namely to deny the Aurigan systems to the Taurian expansion plans.
Literally everybody else considered the Coalition merely a mercantile association of independent and mostly hardscrabble worlds, many of them former TC or CC holdings.

It stands to reason that the Aurigan Coalition was not a functional state after all, Espinosa Coup and Arano Restoration civil war nonwithstanding.
Take the Oberon Confederation for comparison: It was, as of 3025, still widely regarded as primarily a pirate realm on the verge of becoming a proper state, even though it had existed for much longer than the Coalition, had a larger military, and was at least as well organized.
From the Inner Sphere viewpoint, the Coalition was a bunch of independent worlds and/or pirate realms. It didn't so much fail after 3028 as it never really got off the ground in the first place. Mercantile coalition yes, nation no.
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 30 November 2020, 10:53:41 »
found a map of the Reach as of 3150 (its the map of the systems around Regis roost from the sarna page.)

looks like the capcon poached some  of the 'northern' Coalition worlds after the Jihad (as the border pre-jihad basically was unchanged since the 3020's)
« Last Edit: 30 November 2020, 10:55:40 by glitterboy2098 »

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #16 on: 30 November 2020, 10:54:08 »
For the RPG campaign.... What if those worlds now under Aurigan control were SLDF staging grounds during the periphery war?  They were low in population and importance, so they were perfect as staging points for the regiments of the SLDF. When they SLDF packed up to leave, they mothballed their stuff for the next periphery war (there was bound to be one in the future). its location relatively near 2 of the major periphery powers was a strategic location.

This is why there are a few castle Brians around. And why Comstar has an interest in it. And why some merchants playing stupid around those facilities with happy trigger mercenaries is not something Comstar wants. They might discover something that should be left alone.

Some assassinations here, some holy shrouds there, and everything becomes quiet and backwater and as it should be again.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 30 November 2020, 11:03:11 »
found a map of the Reach as of 3150 (its the map of the systems around Regis roost from the sarna page.)
Bear in mind this isn't an official map. It's an auto-generated map based on the system ownership data Sarna has for 3150.

Also mind the map legend. Black dots indicate systems that have been marked as "abandoned" - these systems would not appear on contemporary in-universe maps (be they truly abandoned, or simply too unimportant to bother). White dots are independent systems. So it's pretty empty out there by 3150.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 30 November 2020, 12:05:27 »
actually sarna marks worlds as "abandoned" when they don't appear on maps. most of those only ever appeared on the Aurigan reach map in the house arano sourcebook and HBS game. thus sarna counts them as 'abandoned' because they only have data for 3023, and on all others they are "world not appearing in this map" (always check the historiography of the map data.)

so we can't draw any conclusions on the status of those worlds in the post  4thsuccession war era based on the map code, since as far as the map is concerned they would code as 'abandoned' on every map except the one of the aurigan reach. both before the 2020's and after. where they are quite alive and from the history in the sourcebook, have been so for many generations. despite the other maps of from centuries never including them.

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 30 November 2020, 15:53:10 »
For the RPG campaign.... What if those worlds now under Aurigan control were SLDF staging grounds during the periphery war?  They were low in population and importance, so they were perfect as staging points for the regiments of the SLDF. When they SLDF packed up to leave, they mothballed their stuff for the next periphery war (there was bound to be one in the future). its location relatively near 2 of the major periphery powers was a strategic location.

This is why there are a few castle Brians around. And why Comstar has an interest in it. And why some merchants playing stupid around those facilities with happy trigger mercenaries is not something Comstar wants. They might discover something that should be left alone.

Some assassinations here, some holy shrouds there, and everything becomes quiet and backwater and as it should be again.

I would prefer not to play the card of the SLDF cache. In my mind the one on the videogame is the only one, and after its destruction there is no interest for ComStar on that area beyond the HPG message service. But even the, some ComStar interaction is a must  ;)

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 30 November 2020, 16:00:10 »
eh.. i dislike the idea that she's assassinated. from the intro to the game (which is after the restoration) it sounds like the Coalition was in big trouble even while she was alive.

3030 seems to a common theme date wise here.
what else is going on at that time?
the Andurien Succession. where the Magistracy allied with the Anduriens in a failed attempt to invade the CapCon.
as a Magistracy ally, the reformed Coalition would very likely have been swept up in that mess. and being right on the CapCon border, it is likely that the Coalition would have suffered a number of heavy raids during the Capellan counter-offensive of 3034-3035, which given their already limited military and industrial base, could have seen some pretty nasty results. especially if an inability for the Arano government to stop these raids causes the other Aurigan ruling houses to break ties with the Arano's. leading to a political crisis that likely would see several worlds breaking away from the Coalition to join the Taurians.
(worth noting too that in 3034 the CC world of Larsha, on the capcon/aurigan border, was raided by unknown periphery troops, as seen in the opening of the novel "Close Quarters". The identity of the raiders was never given in the novel or any later works. Perhaps those were Aurigan troops (either Mercs or Rampart Company) conducting attacks in support of Magistracy strategic plans. the PPC armed Atlas with the raiders would have been an odd sight in an aurigan unit, but not outside of possibility. especially for mercs)

and as far as Comstar goes.. my guess is that there are a large number of star league sites in the region (mentioned in the game, though only one (on Artru) is visited) and comstar wants to minimize the attention to aurigan's get politically in order to keep them from growing big enough to hinder comstar's efforts to locate, control, and salvage these sites.

Considering the situation the Coalition is in after their civil war, as stated on the House book, I don't see them going to support the MC on a war against an successor state that is closer to them than to the Magistracy. Even thought the AC conducts some coverts operations on capellan soil (that much is said on the book), Kamea doesn't seems like someone to be drawn into a war.
It is more like the Magistracy losing interest in supporting the Coalition in favor of supporting Andurien in their capellan adventure.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 30 November 2020, 17:30:11 »
Considering the situation the Coalition is in after their civil war, as stated on the House book, I don't see them going to support the MC on a war against an successor state that is closer to them than to the Magistracy. Even thought the AC conducts some coverts operations on capellan soil (that much is said on the book), Kamea doesn't seems like someone to be drawn into a war.
It is more like the Magistracy losing interest in supporting the Coalition in favor of supporting Andurien in their capellan adventure.
i agree that the coalition was not in a position to substantially engage in warfare with a larger power. and under normal circumstances i suspect they wouldn't get involved. but remember that the magistracy bankrolled the restoration (including physical assets in the form of getting the Argo operational) and gave Kamea sanctuary after the Directorate took over. this means that the Magistracy has a lot of markers they can call in politically from Kamea.. not to mention the fact that the magistracy has likely been bankrolling the reconstruction after the war, through trade if not direct funding. a threat to cut those ties would be a very powerful lever to get the Coalition to side with the magistracy on the issue. and it is possible that the Coalition wouldn't be involved directly, instead perhaps being used as a staging ground for magistracy controlled forces to strike at the CapCon, presumably to tie up troops that would otherwise be used to reinforce the Andurien border. given the location of Larsha, the raiders would pretty much have to be passing through Coalition controlled systems, which makes it unlikely they were independent pirates.

and whether the raiders were Coalition aligned or not, the inevitable Counter-raids would certainly have fallen on Coalition worlds, since the CapCon would certainly assume the Coalition was, if not the culprits, harboring them.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #22 on: 30 November 2020, 18:16:00 »
I suggested the SLDF tie in because it seem a trope of the HBS game. I do not like that solution myself, but it is a very common feature in the game. Having it would explain the preposterous tech level in the computer game for such an insignificant place.

But yeah, if you want to avoid it I think it is a good idea as well.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #23 on: 01 December 2020, 09:55:05 »
Dont forget most of the Successor States and Periphery Powers didnt recognise the Aurigan Coalition as a actual state with only the Magistry doing so to a minor degree. Not even Comstar would put a nation on a map that no one really recognizes.

The funny thing is if House Espinosa had won there entire idea was to build up there power base to a level where recognition might have been on the table.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 01 December 2020, 15:26:20 »
i agree that the coalition was not in a position to substantially engage in warfare with a larger power. and under normal circumstances i suspect they wouldn't get involved. but remember that the magistracy bankrolled the restoration (including physical assets in the form of getting the Argo operational) and gave Kamea sanctuary after the Directorate took over. this means that the Magistracy has a lot of markers they can call in politically from Kamea.. not to mention the fact that the magistracy has likely been bankrolling the reconstruction after the war, through trade if not direct funding. a threat to cut those ties would be a very powerful lever to get the Coalition to side with the magistracy on the issue. and it is possible that the Coalition wouldn't be involved directly, instead perhaps being used as a staging ground for magistracy controlled forces to strike at the CapCon, presumably to tie up troops that would otherwise be used to reinforce the Andurien border. given the location of Larsha, the raiders would pretty much have to be passing through Coalition controlled systems, which makes it unlikely they were independent pirates.

and whether the raiders were Coalition aligned or not, the inevitable Counter-raids would certainly have fallen on Coalition worlds, since the CapCon would certainly assume the Coalition was, if not the culprits, harboring them.

Yeah, it is quite probable that the MC is financing the Coalition in some level, probably not much, but enough to keep the ties open. But even then it seems by what the book says that Kamea is aiming for less ties, more self-reliance. That's why they keep doing those covert ops on the neighbor states. Also keep in mind that the book is narrated from the point of view of the intelligence head of the MC, and seems to assume that even them don't have much info on the inner goings of the Aurigan Coalition.
What you say about the MC pulling the Coalition into the war effort, even in a tangential way, is reasonable, but I think that if ever put into that situation, Kamea would choose to break ties before putting her nation in another war. But I understand your point of view, and if ever do the campaign I would have it in my as a possible extra plot :)

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 01 December 2020, 15:31:33 »
I suggested the SLDF tie in because it seem a trope of the HBS game. I do not like that solution myself, but it is a very common feature in the game. Having it would explain the preposterous tech level in the computer game for such an insignificant place.

But yeah, if you want to avoid it I think it is a good idea as well.

Yeah, absolutely, I got your meaning. But I prefer to keep the game into a basic level of tech (plus the tech level of the game is obviously overinflated), as all the possible players are people who know nothing about Battletech universe, and have only played a couple of times the tabletop game. I want to keep it simple.
But please keep the flow of ideas, I really like to hear what more experienced players and fans have to say. I am a simple recruit, after all ;)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #26 on: 01 December 2020, 17:57:52 »
@ Elmoth

One could say the same with Niops... where did SLDF tech come from if they were never there in the first place?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #27 on: 01 December 2020, 18:35:43 »
@ Elmoth

One could say the same with Niops... where did SLDF tech come from if they were never there in the first place?

TT

Except the SLDF was there.  Even if they weren't stationed there, there was a local militia on planet, which would probably have looked no different from most Terran Hegemony Militia units, given they were a Terran Hegemony "Star League" colony.

Because they were expected to be there for a while as they studied stellar formation and death, they were given a technological and industrial base to allow small-scale manufacturing of SLDF Regular level equipment.  For some reason, Nighthawk suits were also thrown into the mix, but it's also possible that their nature as a long-term research colony meant they were intended to have a data cache similar to the Helm or New Dallas ones.

That's all of what made Niops notable to the Inner Sphere in the first place: they're a tiny Periphery colony that hadn't fallen completely apart and managed to maintain some degree of technology in the Succession Wars.  Their small scale and rate of production was why the FWL didn't bother just gobbling them up: their methods couldn't be upscaled enough.  It's also possible that Niops was never as advanced as we thought during the Succession Wars or, alternatively, produced the dumbed-down Intro-tech Star League variants during this era, too.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #28 on: 01 December 2020, 18:41:06 »
Not Niops, Aurigan Gio.

I know why Niops had them, but why did Aurigan Coalition get SLDF tech?

If SLDF wasn't there in the first place, DOME didn't do anything to this planet.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #29 on: 01 December 2020, 18:48:01 »
Not Niops, Aurigan Gio.

I know why Niops had them, but why did Aurigan Coalition get SLDF tech?

If SLDF wasn't there in the first place, DOME didn't do anything to this planet.

TT

Yeah, misread what you were saying.

But...what if it wasn't the SLDF that was the source of most of that gear?  What if it was the Rim Worlds Republic, after having looted the Terran Hegemony, who lost or abandoned it while fleeing to a bolt hole?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Register