Author Topic: So why Taurian mech build dysfunction?  (Read 5084 times)

Coriendal

• Master Sergeant
Re: So why Taurian mech build dysfunction?
« Reply #30 on: 31 October 2023, 15:25:14 »
I am wondering if it is because, in spite of having a lot of "factories", what they really have is a lot of glorified mechanic shops where they cobble together their mechs with high quality techs and don't really have "production" lines.  Sort of a medieval craftsman shop making mechs vs. a full fledged mass production line.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #31 on: 19 November 2023, 00:21:03 »
I am wondering if it is because, in spite of having a lot of "factories", what they really have is a lot of glorified mechanic shops where they cobble together their mechs with high quality techs and don't really have "production" lines.  Sort of a medieval craftsman shop making mechs vs. a full fledged mass production line.
that is a factory by succession wars definitions. actual assembly lines were rare, even more rare were any sort of automated assembly lines.

Jeyar123

• Corporal
« Reply #32 on: 19 November 2023, 17:36:09 »
Also this rule set needed one of the numbers already when compared to prior works as a simple number, even without added hammer-bamf powers.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 17 January 2024, 21:36:31 »
The Taurians keeping getting blown up or blow themselves up. It's become a national pastime. However, their production by the Dark Ages is pretty impressive and they're the second largest producer of Mechs in the Periphery. Add in their eventual alliance with the Calderon Protectorate and the regiment of Mechs they received from Davion, and you have a TDF that can finally get back some of the things they list to Davion, Liao, Canopus and their own idiocy.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 18 January 2024, 00:43:04 »
The Taurians keeping getting blown up or blow themselves up. It's become a national pastime. However, their production by the Dark Ages is pretty impressive and they're the second largest producer of Mechs in the Periphery. Add in their eventual alliance with the Calderon Protectorate and the regiment of Mechs they received from Davion, and you have a TDF that can finally get back some of the things they list to Davion, Liao, Canopus and their own idiocy.

That's not very impressive when you realize before they self destructed in the 3060s they where the biggest, by a considerable amount.

by 3152 the TC is a fraction of it's former strength and they'd be wise to, once the marriage to the cauldron protectorate happens focus on dometic affairs and bringing in sepertist worlds, not picking fights they cannot win.
The Suns will shine again

theagent

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 19 January 2024, 08:34:58 »

FWIW, that's how the Clans treat their "factories" for the most part.  But they did that because Big Daddy Nick said it was "wasteful" to produce more BattleMechs & other support stuff than you would use over the short-term, that stockpiling equipment for years-long conflicts or having multiple spares for all of your pilots was wasteful of resources.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 20 January 2024, 13:09:55 »
That's not very impressive when you realize before they self destructed in the 3060s they where the biggest, by a considerable amount.

by 3152 the TC is a fraction of it's former strength and they'd be wise to, once the marriage to the cauldron protectorate happens focus on dometic affairs and bringing in sepertist worlds, not picking fights they cannot win.

It's actually quite impressive when you consider that almost every medium to large Periphery power has its own Mech production by 3145.  The Taurians are producing Royal Battlemechs, several new designs and variants mounting Jihad or Republic era tech, and are supplying other powers with designs once dreamed of.  They also have the second largest military of the Periphery powers (the Raven Alliance is its own thing),and stand to gain even more capacity to take back territory from Liao after limited retaliation vs Davion. So I don't see them as lesser, just finally recovering.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 21 January 2024, 04:57:11 »
It's actually quite impressive when you consider that almost every medium to large Periphery power has its own Mech production by 3145.  The Taurians are producing Royal Battlemechs, several new designs and variants mounting Jihad or Republic era tech, and are supplying other powers with designs once dreamed of.  They also have the second largest military of the Periphery powers (the Raven Alliance is its own thing),and stand to gain even more capacity to take back territory from Liao after limited retaliation vs Davion. So I don't see them as lesser, just finally recovering.

Why do you think they're going to be able to take back territory from House Liao? The Cauldron Protectorate and TC have spent generations at this point seperated from each other, attempting to launch a military campaign so soon after reunification, against a MUCH stronger military is a recipe for a fiasco.

I mean are you really so eager for another Pleadies Fiasco?

Jeyar123

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 21 January 2024, 13:47:02 »
Is this irony?

I mean I don't like the idea of the TC copying the FS-LC, but FS-LC also went against a stronger set of enemies on paper after centuries of separation AND having cases of fighting each other (if admittedly proportionally rarely). Plus at the time the only distractions were WD and the CC (I put the WD as a faction as they were a severe fraction of the damage the DC experienced).

Right now the CC has the: FWL, FS, whatever stable acronym-name we get for the wolf mess, their own internal fireworks, the independent groups that need supplies near their border (RotS, SF - maybe still with a C in front, DoA, FR) and more border with the DC than before. Oh and their excuse for taking over the worlds was for their protection right? TC just pulling themselves together and NOT tossing their forces into a fiat blender deals with that issue/excuse on its own. Oh forgot they also have Jade Falcon neighbors too now - I'm not sure but wasn't their great leader the only faction head leader to call the GF "green chickens" or something in public in the books? I'm sure that is going over well.

I don't expect anything like the TC getting things from attacking, nor would I want the TC to copy the FS-LC even if they could, but reasonably this isn't that unrealistic for worlds that effort has been put into to show aren't THAT valuable. Zanzibar and Corodiz and Larsha I would NOT say that about, but the other 4 worlds? All on direct TC border, all Implied as low value, all also facing FS border without exposing CC Interior, all over a jump away from other CC worlds other than Corodiz which would be a tactically important world, and lastly only 2 jumps away from 4 other militarily supplying TC worlds plus the TC's capitol.

Not saying it's a done deal, but on paper that is one of the silliest positions for these worlds to be placed and taken by the CC. Now again, not ever wanting the TC to copy others, but this situation is a bit absurdly advantageous LOOKING for the TC.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 21 January 2024, 17:20:24 »
the fedcom together had over 100 mech regiments, that was a sizeable advbantage over the dracs, let alone the capellans, furthermore, during the 4th sucession war the LCAF and AFFS largely operated independantly. There was little cordination given they deployed on their own respective fronts. so completely differant scenerios.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 21 January 2024, 18:56:21 »
Why do you think they're going to be able to take back territory from House Liao? The Cauldron Protectorate and TC have spent generations at this point seperated from each other, attempting to launch a military campaign so soon after reunification, against a MUCH stronger military is a recipe for a fiasco.

I mean are you really so eager for another Pleadies Fiasco?

The TC has become far better since the Jihad and was able to successfully defeat Alexander Hasek's assault on them. The current Protector managed to reign in the TDF from entering another war, gain a regiment of  new Mechs including Omnimechs, and didn't suffer heavy losses.  Given that Davion is currently at odds with Kurita and the Snow Ravens, they have little to worry about from that quarter and the CC has a ton of other distractions. So does the Magistracy with 25% of their forces going to attack the Marians and  the rest covering captured territory, backing up the CC, or at home. Taking planets from the CC makes perfect sense especially as you test out your new acquisitions.

Register