Poll

Character creation layout

All character creations organized by stage with Clans and Innersphere mixed together.
Early stage character creations together with later stages separated for better organization.
Clans and Innersphere completely separated for better flow.
Other (Please explain)

Author Topic: MechWarrior Second Edition Optional rule.  (Read 58927 times)

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
Re: MechWarrior Second Edition Optional rule.
« Reply #30 on: 06 November 2020, 17:36:57 »
(1-3) Bloodmark- MW2: A character with the Bloodmark Disadvantage has a price on his head and is being actively hunted by bounty hunters looking to collect. The level chosen determines the frequency and total bounty as determined by the GM and Player at the start of the campaign.

GM: You took a level 3 blood mark? What is it?
Player: I slept with a young Ms. Steiner before she was of age. Why is that a problem?
GM: You are a fragging idiot and you pretty much have most of the IS gunning for your head.
Player: So, lots of salvage that way.
GM: (just does a facepalm.)

So is this a request for a harder outline to the frequency and total bounty or was it just a joke?  ;D
I left it open because years of RPGs has shown me that every GM/group is different.
I figured any chart or set numbers I gave would be wrong in somebodies eyes.  :ticked: or :smitten: its all the same.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 10 November 2020, 00:31:16 »
Update to conversion.
Will have the Armor stats soon.
Weapons will have new ranges bringing them in line with AToW.
Others to follow.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #32 on: 10 November 2020, 08:17:54 »
This question had more to do with ranges then damage.

Ah. I think I'd prefer the longer ranges, honestly.

Not sure what you mean by your exceptions.
1. You want them to follow MW2 rules and not CBT?
2. You want them to have their own system?
3. I'm reading to much into it

Number 2, which ties in with...
And a quick aside, do you have the MW2 Companion?
It has IMHO great infantry/Battlearmor rules.
If you are looking for something more.

I do not.  Sounds like something to hunt down. 
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 10 November 2020, 12:14:41 »
Ah. I think I'd prefer the longer ranges, honestly.

Same here, so I went for the modified ranges. Since I will probably not be able to relist already existing weapons, any that do not appear in my update can be determined by using the following formula: drop extreme range (not used in MW2) then divided all ranges by five (rounded up). Minimum short range is 1-2/x-x/x-x. IF Med/Long range are les then 15 then weapon would be 1-2/NA/NA.

Number 2, which ties in with...

It is available from DrivethruRPG at this link: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/63980/BattleTech-MechWarrior-Companion?cPath=4328_4541
Other books you may want to get for MW2 if you do not have them as I will not be repeating information that shows up in them are:
(All seem to be on DrivethruRPG and/or CGL store)

Intelligence Operations Handbook ($9)
Field Manual: Comstar. ($10)
Field Manual: Draconis Combine.($10)
Field Manual: Free Worlds League.($10)
Field Manual: Mercenaries (Non-revised).($10)
Field Manual: Warden Clans.($11)
Field Manual: Crusader Clans.($11)
Chaos March sourcebook.($6)
Explorer Corps. ($8)
Intelligence Op adds rules for creating Covert PCs and some spy gear.
The Innersphere FMs add Schools for character creation and new Battlearmor with MW2 Stats.
The Clan FMs add new Battlearmor with MW2 Stats.
Explorer Corps adds more advanced rules for operating in space and other extreme conditions. Also has star system gen rules.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2020, 12:28:03 by victor_shaw »

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 10 November 2020, 23:33:48 »
I have almost all of the rest of those, especially the FMs.

Chaos March and the last one are probably the only two I don't have.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 13 November 2020, 22:24:38 »

Did you get your hands on MW2 Companion and have a chance to look over the rules?

I have almost all of the rest of those, especially the FMs.
Chaos March and the last one are probably the only two I don't have.

Good to know, as you are only one of the three (including me) that it seems I am writing this for.  ;D

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #36 on: 14 November 2020, 05:56:43 »
Well I am enjoying this, four?

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 14 November 2020, 07:26:38 »
Well I am enjoying this, four?
I was counting you as one of the three.  :thumbsup:

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 14 November 2020, 20:41:32 »
So is this a request for a harder outline to the frequency and total bounty or was it just a joke?  ;D
I left it open because years of RPGs has shown me that every GM/group is different.
I figured any chart or set numbers I gave would be wrong in somebodies eyes.  :ticked: or :smitten: its all the same.

Someone somewhere would do this. I was doing it for the joke of a pc screwing the rest of the party  and forcing the gm to do a party kill because of said idiot.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 16 November 2020, 11:02:45 »
Did you get your hands on MW2 Companion and have a chance to look over the rules?

Not yet.  I'm looking at potentially this weekend.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 16 November 2020, 20:58:32 »
Update
Bad News: Due to being sick this weekend I was unable to put much work into the conversion.
Good News: Most of the weapons conversion is done, just working on equipment ratings and some finishing touches.

As for Armor, I will be doing a quick once over then I will need to convert them from Excel format (What I use for conversions) to a more useable PDF format.
The plan for weapons is to list them all in one handy format with page references to lore.
Schools have been on the back burner as I worked on Advantages/Disadvantages, Background Packages, and Affiliations.

Advantages/Disadvantages: will get a once over before I move them to PDF format, some such as Prosthetics may be dropped due to the lack of any real reason to keep them other then "they are in AToW".
Background Packages: are going to be small 2-3 skill packages that you choose when creating your characters.
Affiliations: Are on the fence right now as I have some questions about how to implement them correctly in MW2.
Both ideas will include Language/Affiliation and Culture/Affiliation, but the rest of the package will be either;
1. A group of 3-4 skills, one Advantage, a one Disadvantage.
2. Just a group 4 skills.
I want them to be useful and important, but not to be the main source of skills.

And to finish this update off, I have decided to forgo posting rules/options piecemeal and post one/two finished guides after they are all done.

These will include an advanced players option guide and an equipment guide

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 22 November 2020, 18:47:51 »
due to a error this update was lost.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2020, 17:20:28 by victor_shaw »

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #42 on: 22 November 2020, 20:01:34 »
Awesome, after you've completed this MW2nd Edition Update we could go through character design right here if you like. I'd be happy to participate!  ;)

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 27 November 2020, 17:20:38 »
Update #4 (To much time on my hands)

Weapons: Complete
Equipment: About 10% done (Power Packs only at this time). his will take the shortest time of the conversions due to equipment have few stats.
Armor: After review, it needs more work.
Advantages/Disadvantages: Complete, Prosthetics are now their own set of optional rules.
Background Packages: Complete.
Affiliations: Next in line for work.
Era specific Priority tables: Complete and includes Master table for characters ad vehicles for (2400-2570 (Age of War), 2700-2770 (Star League), 2860-2900 (Golden Century), 3025-3052 (Succession Wars/Clan Invasion), 3053-3062 (Pre-Jihad))
Schools: Finally back on the list. I removed it earlier due to its reliance on other optional rules. (Affiliation, Background, Advantages/Disadvantages) At the time I was not sure if these other rules would work and it was only after figuring them out that I was able to lockdown a path for the schools. These will be the Final part of the new rules to be worked on and as I have decided to work from scratch, will provide some new and exciting options to character creation other then a advantage here or extra skill there.

Will also be adding a step by step run through of character creation using the optional rules.
that's about it, been a productive weekend.

Current Priority list
1. Armor
2. Equipment
3. Affiliations
4. Schools

Thanks for the support.

NullVoid

• Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 30 November 2020, 19:25:42 »
This is pretty nice! I rather prefer the shorter ranges which are more in line with the heavy weapons from CBT, but I can understand people preferring the more realistic ranges of newer editions. Stuff that really needs extra rules are the person-scale combat, specifically BA and Small Support Vehicles. I'll keep using the ranges from the CBT infantry tables, they work out fine.

As for MW2-compatible rules, aren't Solaris: The Reaches (FASA 1659)'s rules compatible with MW2? The character and site archetypes and the NPC encounter generation are pretty nice.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: 30 November 2020, 23:19:43 »
This is pretty nice! I rather prefer the shorter ranges which are more in line with the heavy weapons from CBT, but I can understand people preferring the more realistic ranges of newer editions. Stuff that really needs extra rules are the person-scale combat, specifically BA and Small Support Vehicles. I'll keep using the ranges from the CBT infantry tables, they work out fine.

As for MW2-compatible rules, aren't Solaris: The Reaches (FASA 1659)'s rules compatible with MW2? The character and site archetypes and the NPC encounter generation are pretty nice.

Welcome and Thank you.
As for Solaris: The Reaches (FASA 1659)'s rules, yes they are compatible, but are limited to NPC Encounter and adding advanced weapons (Clans/Starleague) to the Solaris dueling rules.
As I stated before, the purpose of this conversion is to fix or update the rules to better represent the Battletech Universe, so since there are IMHO pretty good rules for BA in the Mechwarrior companion I will not be tackling that here.
As for vehicles, That may be taking care of in the Optional Equipment book but I I'm not committing to that at this time.  ::)

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: 03 December 2020, 18:41:26 »
Update #5 (Lots done more to do)

Weapons: Complete
Equipment: About 10% done (Power Packs only at this time). his will take the shortest time of the conversions due to equipment have few stats. Will be starting this tomorrow, expecting it to take a few hours of dedicated work.
Armor: Complete, Section will include Faction kits. Also added rules for Tactical Armor.
Advantages/Disadvantages: Complete, Prosthetics are now their own set of optional rules.
Background Packages: Complete.
Affiliations: Next in line for work.
Era specific Priority tables: Complete and includes Master table for characters ad vehicles for (2400-2570 (Age of War), 2700-2770 (Star League), 2860-2900 (Golden Century), 3025-3052 (Succession Wars/Clan Invasion), 3053-3062 (Pre-Jihad))
Schools: Finally back on the list. I removed it earlier due to its reliance on other optional rules. (Affiliation, Background, Advantages/Disadvantages) At the time I was not sure if these other rules would work and it was only after figuring them out that I was able to lockdown a path for the schools. These will be the Final part of the new rules to be worked on and as I have decided to work from scratch, will provide some new and exciting options to character creation other then a advantage here or extra skill there.

Will also be adding a step by step run through of character creation using the optional rules.
that's about it, been a productive weekend.

Current Priority list
1. Equipment
2. Affiliations
3. Schools
4. Updated Archetypes to match new character options

As always Thanks for the support.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 05 December 2020, 05:10:47 »
Update #5.5 (I'm going blind)

No real change in the completion list, but a change in plans.
After many long hours of reformatting info from excel to word and realizing I still have to put it in Publisher format then make the PDFs.
I have decided to put out what I have readily so far for publisher in its current word format.
I will still be working on the conversion when work and life allows (just to be clear no change here.) but this will take the pressure off me to get it all done right away allowing for more development and less rush to get it out.
It will also allow for feed back before I commit it to publisher.

So I will be removing the download links from the post above and adding links to the new update posts. all future updated files will be linked there with a ver. number that will match the one listed in the most current updates

ver. list.
Advantages and Disadvantages MW2 ver.2
Affiliations 2700- 2770 ver. 1
Background Packages ver. 1
Civilian Academies of the Innersphere ver.1
Civilian Careers (Non-Clan) ver. 2
Clan Packages ver. 2
General House Rule and Optional Rules ver. 3
Lost Limbs and Implant-Prosthetic options
Master Tables by Era (Optional Rule) ver. 1
Tactical Armor Optional Rules ver. 1

Modify message
« Last Edit: 05 December 2020, 05:18:15 by victor_shaw »

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: 05 December 2020, 05:14:56 »
Update 5.5.1 more files

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 05 December 2020, 05:17:04 »
Update 5.5.2 even more files

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 11 December 2020, 20:41:11 »
Update #6 (More free time)

Due to low volumes at work (Holidays are bad for us) Had a lot of time to work on this project. Finished the weapons conversions, so have powerpacks, rechargers, Weapons, and armor are done. All are already in publisher format with all related new rules and keywords. Just have to do a quick run through other equipment then I should have the Equipment guide done and up by Monday. All the files listed have stayed the same at this point so no new downloads yet. As for the Advanced character Options Guide, if I get wat I want done it should be up within the next two weeks.

ver. list.
Affiliations 2700- 2770 ver. 1
Background Packages ver. 1
Clan Packages ver. 2
Master Tables by Era (Optional Rule) ver. 1

Happy holidays

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 15 December 2020, 19:20:12 »
Update #6.5 (duty calls)
Just a quick update to status of the project.
Due to RL job issues (Got called in for the weekend) no progress was made.
I am not going to give a new date as it seems every time I do something happens.

As Always
Thanks for the support.
Happy holidays

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 24 December 2020, 04:55:15 »
Update #7 (still progressing)
So, I made some time to work on this over the holidays
So far I have gotten all the weapons and power packs into Publisher formant, but am taking time to work on the schools and advanced players guide.
Should have some results just after the holidays.

As Always
Thanks for the support.
Happy holidays

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 31 December 2020, 15:14:38 »
Keep up the good work.  I finally found a copy of the Companion you mentioned. Will give it a look-over this week.

So, you think they handle BA on the personal scale pretty well?  Time to find out.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #54 on: 31 December 2020, 18:48:01 »
Just realized I never posted in this thread... by all means, keep up the good work sir!  :thumbsup:

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 01 January 2021, 09:22:10 »
Update #8 (still working)
Got a lot done over the holidays
Should have something new up sometime next week

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 02 January 2021, 12:10:05 »
Update #8.1 (Late X-mas presents)

Affiliations 2400- 2770 ver. 3: Added all know Affiliations from the Age of war till the fall of the Starleague with founding dates.
Affiliation 3025-3052 ver.1: (New) enjoy.
Background Packages ver. 2: Added missing Backgrounds and some editing to fix leftover AToW skill/trait names.
Master Tables by Era (Optional Rule) ver. 2: Modified table to reflect changes to Affiliations 2400- 2770 and some general housekeeping.

Just a reminder, this is a work in progress and just working on it take a lot of the time I set aside for it. So please if you find typos, Artifacts from AToW (Names, conversion notes, etc.) let me know so they can be corrected.

ver. list.
Affiliations 2700- 2770 ver. 3 (Updated) Note: Name Change (Affiliations 2400- 2770 ver. 3)
Affiliation 3025-3052 ver.1 (New)
Background Packages ver. 2 (Updated)
Clan Packages ver. 2
Master Tables by Era (Optional Rule) ver. 2 (Updated)

As Always
Thanks for the support.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 18 January 2021, 09:34:05 »
Update #8.2 (Stalled due to RW)

Sorry for the lack of progress, real world payed work has left me with little free time.
Thing are starting to normalize, and will be getting back to work on the conversions in the next few weeks.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 21 January 2021, 04:26:54 »
Finishing up work on military academy/universities. Then will get back to working on the equipment.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: 10 February 2021, 04:39:32 »
Update #9 (not a lot of time)

Ok, here's the skinny. With work, home life, and other commitments I have been fighting to find time just for my important (to me) pastimes.
Unfortunately, since my group made the choice not to start a new Mechwarrior campaign and instead start a Wrath & Glory (Warhammer 40k) campaign I have been using said free-time for campaign construction and games. As such, I have not and will not have much time to work on this project.
Just to be clear I have not abandon it, I will just be spending far, far less time working on it.
That said most of the major work (minus the schools) is finished anyway.
As these are my last update for some time I will post my weapons (tonight) and Armor (within the next week) PDFs for all who want them.

The weapons are converted from Publisher format and may have some artifacts as I just converted and posted them.

ver. list.
Affiliations 2400- 2770 ver. 3
Affiliation 3025-3052 ver.1
Background Packages ver. 2
Clan Packages ver. 2
Master Tables by Era (Optional Rule) ver. 2
Mechwarrior 2nd edition optional equipment rules ver. final (new)

Register