Author Topic: Beating The Odds  (Read 11500 times)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: Beating The Odds
« Reply #90 on: 18 March 2024, 17:15:57 »
Bang, you are dead.
Hah! :)

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #91 on: 06 April 2024, 11:05:11 »
Part III

“The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.”
-Attributed to R. Buckminster Fuller

Chapter 14: A Bad Day

The thought crept into Kit’s mind that she might actually score a point. She was tired and sweaty and frustrated and she had channeled all of it into a reckless assault which she had not seriously expected to meet with any success. And yet the ferociousness of her attack seemed to have taken her opponent by surprise; Naila was backpedaling rapidly and in a few more steps would run out of piste to retreat.

That was what Kit was thinking about right up until the moment Naila’s blade thwacked on the top of her mask, and even for a few moments after as her brain rushed to process what had happened.

Kit ripped her mask off and stood bent over double, swearing at herself in between puffing, exhausted breaths.”Be honest with me,” she said, “Am I getting any better?”

Naila smiled at her indulgently, shaking out hair compressed by her own fencing mask and looking like she had barely gotten her heart rate up. “Yes! You don’t hold the sabre like you’re swinging a hatchet anymore. So that’s something.”

As a child, Kit had seen a couple of the samurai-themed period holovid dramas of the type the Draconis Combine’s entertainment industry churned out endlessly, bloody, moody affairs she was probably-definitely too young for, and had become briefly fascinated by swordplay. She discovered that on many other worlds Combine space, schools had kendo clubs, but her school on the backwater planet of Outpost did not. She had complained to her grandfather that it was unfair that other children got to play with swords and she didn’t, and he said that if she looked at it as “playing with swords” it was best that she didn’t get to do it, which did nothing to make her feel better about the injustice. By the time her parents had left the Combine for Galatea she had mostly forgotten about it. Her knowledge of the type of fencing that Naila practiced was limited to a hazy idea of white outfits and the phrase “En garde.

Still, when Naila had offered to introduce her to the sport, Kit had readily accepted. After seeing Naila’s skill in their simulated ‘Mech duel, she had a vague hope that participating in a combat-inspired activity with Naila might make some of the Marik officer’s ability rub off on her.

So much for that idea.

The fitness center in what passed for Deloy’s business district had two fencing strips. Naila had pronounced the electronic scoring equipment “basic at best,” there was no one to referee, and after weeks of practice Kit was still finding it difficult to wrap her head around the rules of “right of way.” (The whole thing struck her as slightly ridiculous, and made her try to imagine a ‘Mech battle where the two sides took turns.) None of that mattered much, since whenever she and Naila sparred there was never the slightest doubt about who was winning.

“You’re very persistent. Very determined,” Naila was saying, probably not meaning for it to sound as patronizing as it did.

“Had an old CO tell me something like that,” Kit said sourly.

“If I’m being honest, though, I think this may not be the sport for you. But it has nothing to do with skill. It just doesn’t necessarily… play to your strengths.”

Kit quirked an eyebrow at her.

“Do you mind if I do a little psychoanalysis?”

“Was that a class at Princefield?”

Naila laughed and shook her head. “No, so take this for what it’s worth. The thing about fencing is that it’s very… narrow. And I don’t just mean the piste. The rules, the equipment, everything is designed to take something that was actual combat and put it in a civilized little box. There’s room in that box for a mental element, for strategy… but the range of tactics is very limited. There isn’t much room for improvisation.

“Improvisation?”

“Right. Like the way you… improvised tactics in our simulator duel.”

Kit blinked at her, then scowled. “You’re saying that I’ll never be good at fencing because fencing makes it too hard to cheat.”

“That’s an ugly word,” Naila said, “One I was trying very hard not to use because my mother used to tell me I would get in trouble by being too honest.” She grinned. “Call it what you like, it worked well for you in that exercise with the Garde.”

The plan hatched by Kit and the Marquis had worked even better than they had  hoped. The militia had chased her in circles around the desert believing she was Everett while the rest of the Kats had taken exercise objectives and pickled off straggling militia units easily. Of course, the version of events that had made it to the press made no mention of the ruse, creating the Marquis himself with actually humiliating the GP - adding to his heroic reputation after his “victory” over the supposedly Capellan raiding force. Kit tried not to let that irritate her. Merc does the work, employer gets the credit. Old, old story.

The two women returned to the locker room, where Kit changed out of her borrowed fencing jacket into civilian clothes. Naila was back in her FWLM field uniform. Kit wondered whether the other woman even had anything else in her closet. “You know,” Naila said, “Ever since you saw off those Capellans, and then the exercise, I’ve had a spike of interest in militia wanting to give the sim pods a try.”

Kit scoffed. “I don’t know whether to say sorry or you’re welcome.

Naila shrugged. “It gives me something to do, since my advice on military matters to the planetary government isn’t in high demand.”

“Do any of the ‘Mech-mad hopefuls show any signs of promise?”

“One or two might not be hopeless,” Naila chuckled. “There’s one in particular who certainly picks up anything on the technical side quickly. I actually had him walk that raider Hawk around the base last week and he managed not to fall on his face.”

“Glad to hear all the time Sid and I spent getting the thing walking again was well spent,” Kit said sardonically. The deal the Kats had made with the GP for the use of the militia’s repair facilities was so far turning out to be rather one-sided. Half of the Kats’ ‘Mechs were still shot up from the skirmish with the mystery raiders because the militia wanted her to prioritize resurrecting the salvaged Phoenix Hawk.

“Using it to give the wannabes some real seat time was my idea,” Naila said. “The militia brass just want it to be able to march in a parade for League Day.”

Kit remembered a conversation with Sid about the Kats’ contract on Caleraigne amounting to parade duty, and vaguely wondered whether she should be offended that they were apparently not going to be invited to participate in the actual parade, when she was distracted by the flatscreen hanging in the corner of the locker room.

It was tuned to a news commentary program, where a panel of talking heads were discussing the same thing that was being discussed on every similar program Kit had seen recently: the possibility of Calseraigne joining the Duchy of Andurien. The topic had dominated the attention of the world’s press for weeks.

But the Marquis had never had the chance to publicly announce the plan as he had told Kit, Naila, and the militia officers he intended to.

Someone in the meeting had leaked.

Kit had never been comfortable with keeping the Marquis’s secret, but she had accepted it as part of her job. She was much less comfortable with the idea that one of the other people who had sat around that table - someone else the Marquis had taken into his confidence - apparently couldn’t be trusted. Especially since one of them was the only person she had met on Calseraigne so far who had seemed entirely trustworthy.

Kit glanced over at Naila. The other woman seemed to have taken no notice at all of the commentary show. Kit chewed her lip and pondered whether she was frustrated enough to do something she knew was likely to make a bad day worse.

“Naila, what’s your take on this?” she asked, nodding at the screen, where a chyron read MARQUIS TO ADDRESS ASSEMBLY TODAY.

The Marik officer glanced up and shrugged. “I don’t know why you’re asking me. Nobody in the planetary government has, and it’s my job to advise them.”

“You’re dodging the question.” Kit winced at the sound of her own voice. The statement sounded more accusatory than she had intended. Truthfully, she had blurted it out in surprise. From the moment they had met Naila had seemed nothing but direct and forthright, a quality Kit had come to appreciate more as the situation on Calseraigne had become less and less clear.

“Sorry,” Kit said hastily. “It’s just that I’ve been relying on you to help me keep up with the politics in play here, and we haven’t talked about it… since word got out, I mean.”

Nailed paused as though considering her words carefully. “I can understand the Marquis’s reasoning. Even if we don’t fully understand the reasons for the Capellan raid, it shows they’re looking at Calseraigne, and if the resource project on the seabed is as successful as everyone seems to expect, then this planet is going to become a more valuable piece of real estate.” She sighed. “I wish the Marquis had made the leaders of the Assembly aware first, though. He’s clearly going to do whatever he thinks is best, in the end, but I can’t help but feel that we shouldn’t have been the first to know.”

“Do you feel strongly enough about it that you decided you had to let the Assembly know?”

A part of Kit regretted the words as soon as they were out of her mouth. That part got bigger when she saw the wall go up behind Naila’s eyes. It was like looking at an entirely different person than the woman she had come to think of as a friend.

“How I feel has nothing to do with it, Kit,” Naila said quietly. “If it was my duty in my capacity as an advisor to the planetary government to inform them of what the Marquis was planning to do, I would do it.”

“I’m not questioning your commitment to your duty,” Kit said, raising her hands as if she could climb over the barrier she felt rising up between them. “But you said if it was your duty. Did you tell them or not?”

Naila stared at her for a moment. “If you must know,” Naila said at last, “To be honest, I debated with myself whether I had an obligation to inform the Assembly. But I was still trying to make up my mind when the story broke.”

Kit chewed on that. “So it was someone else in that room.”

Naila nodded. “Realistically, General Bollier or his aide. I can never remember that man’s name.” She shrugged. “Of course there’s also the Marquis himself, but I don’t see why he would tell us all to keep it secret until he could inform the Assembly and then leak it himself.” She crossed her arms over her chest. “Do I get to know why this is so important to you? I get that the Marquis is your employer, but he isn’t paying you to be offended on his behalf.”

“It’s not that,” Kit said. “It’s…” Kit ran her fingers through sweaty red-brown hair in frustration. “Naila, I’m worried. Something is going on here, besides the obvious political bullshit I mean. Everyone is up in arms about what the Marquis is going to do, and nobody was even supposed to know about it, and he decided to do it because of a Capellan raid that wasn’t even really the Capellans, and someone already tried to kill him and maybe me too…” Kit knew she must sound unhinged, but she couldn’t stop the words from pouring out of her.

“Wait, wait, wait,” Naila said, throwing up her hands. “Back up. What do you mean, it wasn’t really the Capellans?”

Kit looked around. The locker room had emptied. They were alone. “I started to have doubts when I got a close look at that Phoenix Hawk,” she explained, “And when I talked to the pilot at the hospital I became sure of it.”

Naila blinked. “You talked to him? When? Not even the Garde got a chance before he died.”

The floor seemed to heave under Kit’s feet.

“He’s dead? When?”

“It couldn’t have been more than two or three days after our meeting with the Marquis when we got the news he was conscious. You talked to him?”

Kit nodded. “Right after that meeting with the Marquis. I BS’d the doctors, said the Marquis sent me. I didn’t get much useful info out of the bastard… or any, really. But there’s no way he was Liao. And when I left him, he was a long way from death’s door.”

“What I heard is that he caught a severe infection and faded fast,” Naila said, furrowing her brow. “These things do happen I guess, and the medical treatment on a world like this is hardly the best in the Inner Sphere.”

Kit took a deep breath. Now she’ll really think I’ve lost it. “Or someone wanted to make sure he didn’t talk to anybody.”

She had expected Naila to laugh. Instead, the Marik officer sat down on a bench and stared into the middle distance. “If he wasn’t Capellan, then what was he? Who benefits from a useless raid with no target? Or are we still just not seeing the target?” Kit couldn’t tell if her friend meant for her to try to answer these questions or if she was just thinking out loud, but she was overwhelmed with relief that Naila seemed to be taking her seriously at all.

At that moment Kit heard her communicator beeping from a pocket in her gym bag. She pulled it out and read a message that made her groan.

Naila looked up. “Problem?”

Kit sighed. “Not compared to what we’ve been talking about. Looks like one of my boys had a bit too much fun here in town last night and I need to smooth some ruffled feathers.”

“One of the less glamorous parts of a CO’s job,” Naila observed with a sideways smile. “I’m envious.”

“You’re welcome to sub in for me on this one,” Kit shot back.

“No thanks, I’m sure I have something to do back at the Garde base.”

“Of course,” Kit said dryly as she picked up her bag. “Look, Naila: I want to thank you for taking me seriously on this. And for…” She paused awkwardly and then powered forward. “What I mean is, I haven’t always had the easiest time making friends, and you’ve always been fair and honest to me, ever since we met at the Marquis’s reception.” That night felt like a standard year ago now instead of just a few local months.

Naila extended her hand. “I’m sure you and Émile Gamelin would get along famously if he just took time to get to know you,” she chuckled. “Have fun smoothing,” she added as Kit shook her hand. “With any luck, you’ll be done in time to see the Marquis’s speech.”

Kit was headed for the door when the other woman called after her. “Kit? Try not to worry. We’re going to figure this out. And whatever happens, remember I’m on your side.”
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #92 on: 06 April 2024, 11:20:00 »
Glad to see another update! :)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #93 on: 07 April 2024, 02:50:21 »
Confirming allies. Unless there is a plot twist of Naila being the bad guy (girl) of the story, but I doubt it.

I can see the usefulness of a PHX piloted by a Princefield graduate for the Kats.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #94 on: 17 April 2024, 20:07:04 »
Chapter 15: A Bad Day (continued)

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t hear you,” the gendarme behind the desk said, gesturing vaguely at the flatscreen on the wall where commentators continued to drone on while awaiting the arrival of the Marquis at the Assembly of Deputies hall. “You are who?

The gendarme was a slight man with thinning hair, with an appearance and demeanor more like a maitre’d than a law enforcement officer, and he didn’t seem to be finding Kit on the restaurant’s reservation list. Of course, it would help if she met the dress code. Before our next contract, uniforms, she mentally resolved.

“I’m Captain Söderlund of the Black Kats,” she repeated.

The man flicked his eyes up and down her workout clothes once more. Two of his colleagues continued to peck away languidly at noteputers. “Ah, yes. Forgive me, Captain,” the man said finally, without a trace of sincerity. “I did not recognize you. You look different when you are not, ah, soaking wet.” Kit wondered if her only legacy on this planet would be a vague memory people had of the footage of her and the Marquis being fished out of the river after his plane had been shot down. The gendarme stared at her with bored expectation.

“I understand that you’re holding one of my men,” she said, forcing what she thought was a reasonably appropriate apologetic grimace. “I was hoping I could-...”

“Ah, yes,” the gendarme said, abruptly standing. “You will follow me.”

He led Kit and Palmberg back into the detention area. There were three cells, all empty except for the last one. Behind the bars, Rask sat on a cot. “Hey, boss,” he said to Palmberg sheepishly as they looked up. Then, noticing Kit following in the burly infantry sergeant’s shadow, he hastily got to his feet. “Captain. Hello. Uh, you didn’t need to come. I mean, I’m sorry that you thought you had to come. I mean…”

“Save it,” Palmberg barked.

In the back of her mind, Kit had been expecting something like this to happen. The Kats’ squad-and-a-half of infantry were all natives of Lurgatan, where the Kats had served a contract helping to train the planet’s militia. At the end of the deployment, a handful of militiamen had decided to try out the glamorous mercenary life - specifically, a handful of the youngest, with the least attachment to their homeworld and the least discipline. Kit didn’t feel she had been in a position to turn them down. Infantry wouldn’t make your TO&E as sexy as more ‘Mechs, but they did give an outfit the capability to perform some missions an all-BattleMech unit couldn’t. Of course, the more people you added to an outfit, the more people there were to get themselves into trouble. Admonitions of “best behavior” only went so far.

“Could you give us a minute?” she asked the gendarme. He sniffed and walked back the way they had come.

“Alright, Rask,” Kit said, turning to look at the trooper through the bars. “Tell us what happened.”

“Well, Captain, what happened is… well, me and Gatzke and Gouveia were off-duty last night, so we took one of the jeeps into the city to, you know, unwind a little. And in the place we ended up, that is, the last place we ended up, we got to talking to some locals, and they were singing the Marquis’s praises for whipping the Capellans. And I said that we, well, that is you, because it’s not like me and Gatzke and Gouveia were out there in the desert tangling with ‘Mechs, but that you deserved some of the credit, too.”

“And the locals got upset?”

“Well, the ones we were talking to at first, they just got a little bit upset. But then this other bunch who were sitting at the next table, I guess they overheard us and figured out who we were, because they butted in and said some things about the Marquis, and some things about you, too, Captain, and your, ah, relationship with the Marquis, and then, uh, we got upset. And I don’t remember things after that so clearly, but I guess I ended up hitting one of them.”

Kit closed her eyes and massaged her temples. “Blake’s blood, Rask. I’m not your damn mother. You don’t need to defend my honor.”

“Well, the thing is, Captain, the first group we were talking to got pretty worked up over what the new guys said about the Marquis at the same time we were getting worked up over what they said about you, and like I said, what happened next isn’t so clear. So when I said one of them, I mean I’m not sure who I hit. It could have been one of the first bunch.”

“Oh, well that makes it better, then,” she said flatly.

“Uh, no, Captain, I guess it doesn’t.”

“Shit, Rask,” said Palmberg. “It’s embarrassing enough you’re getting in brawls with locals, but the bare minimum I expect is for you to make sure you’re punching the right guys!” He turned to turned to Kit. “I’m sorry about this, Captain.” Despite his attempts to play the hard-nosed sergeant, Palmberg’s attitude struck Kit as not that different from a sheepish child addressing a disappointed parent. The man was younger than her, which made him quite young indeed to be riding herd on kids even younger who were off their homeworld for the first time.

“It happens,” Kit sighed. “Sounds like we got lucky we didn’t end up with Gatzke and Gouveia in here, too.” And thank God we don’t let any of them carry weapons in the city.

She walked back out to the front of the station and approached the maitre’d cop, who had resumed his place behind the front desk. “I’m sorry about the trouble our boy caused,” she said. “I presume for this sort of thing there’s probably a fine we need to pay, and then we can take him off your hands?”

The gendarme looked up at her, sniffed, then looked back at his noteputer and punched buttons for several long moments. “I am afraid that is impossible,” he said. “Monsieur Rask has been charged with assault.”

Kit stifled a vulgarity, but someone else in the room supplied one for her.

Merde!

Kit wasn’t sure which one of the other two gendarmes had spoken, but they were both riveted to the flatscreen on the wall, and Kit was suddenly aware that the monotonous drone of the news commentators she had been tuning out was gone. She looked up.

Émile Gamelin was standing behind a podium with the seal of Calseraigne’s Assembly of Deputies. Even on the slightly fuzzy projection, the fire in the gaunt man’s eyes was striking, but Kit could also immediately tell that there was something very different about him compared to the night they had met at the Marquis’s reception. He looked… happy. Or as close to happy as Kit could imagine him. He was flanked on either side by two other, more grave-looking men in suits, who Kit didn’t recognize.

“My fellow citizens of Calseraigne,” Gamelin began, “I come to you in a moment of crisis for our planet. The liberties which our forebears fought for, the liberties we have cherished for a century, are under threat. But the threat this time comes not just from the collectivist authoritarianism of the Capellan Confederation, in spite of what fear-mongers would have you believe, but from an older form of tyranny, one almost as old as humanity itself.”

Kit’s stomach lurched. Please don’t let this be going where I think it is.

“I speak of the tyranny of inherited privilege. Since his return to Calseraigne, Marquis Guillaume Everett has shown that he sees the title given as a symbol of appreciation for his ancestor’s role in liberating our world as a token of authority to meddle in Calseraigne’s governance. Now he has announced his intention to pay homage to Catherine Humphreys of the Duchy of Andurien, binding all of us in fealty by proxy, and taking away Calseraigne’s political independence without so much as consulting the people of Calseraigne or their elected representatives.”

Palmberg emerged from the doorway to the holding cell area. “What’s going on, Cap?”

Kit motioned him to be silent. “This ****** is about to get to the point.”

“...-children who will call this world home for the next century,” Gamelin continued, “we cannot allow this to happen. That is why we and many of our fellow Deputies, lovers of freedom, loyal to the ideals that our forebears fought for, have taken action. We, the Committee For Calseraigne’s Freedom and Future, are announcing that the function of the Assembly is suspended, and a state of emergency is in effect. A decree has been issued for the arrest of Marquis Guillaume Everett. He is accused of crimes against the liberties of Calseraigne’s citizens.”

Kit spun on her heel to face the infantry sergeant. “We have to go.”

Palmberg’s brow furrowed in concern. “But what about Rask?”

****** hell. For the past minute, she had totally forgotten where she was and why she had come there. She was suddenly very acutely aware of the fact she wasn’t carrying any sidearm either, and she might now be in hostile territory. But the three gendarmes were having an animated conversation amongst themselves, half in French, and seemed to have forgotten about her just as completely.

“We’ll come back for him. I promise. But shit is about to hit the fan.” If they had been carrying weapons, Kit would have been tempted to put the snooty gendarme and his colleague at gunpoint and break Rask out. Then again, the kid might be safer here than the rest of us.

I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #95 on: 17 April 2024, 20:44:17 »
In a cell in that situation is certainly safer! :D

Register