Author Topic: <Warning Spoilers> Opening Night with the Avengers! (Official Thread!)  (Read 29409 times)

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
Re: Opening Night with the Avengers! (Official Thread!)
« Reply #60 on: 07 May 2012, 08:59:29 »
My roommate and I talked about this last night.  I say that Thor 2 will involve the Norse afterlife, and Fury wanted to make sure he had an inside man. ;D

At first, I thought Coulson's death would prove that he/it was an LMD [since Stark mentioned a Life Model Decoy earlier in the film, when Coulson first came to Stark Tower], but he was the real deal. Which is a shame, because he'll be missed in the sequels

Oh, yes, and Thanos as the next villain. *steeples fingers* Excellent...

I loved the fact that Thanos' obsession with Death seems to be intact in this filmverse as well... at least according to the brief portion of dialogue the Chitauri leader shared with Thanos in the mid-credits scene.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #61 on: 07 May 2012, 10:32:54 »
I think I liked the movie better when I saw Joss Whedon directed it. I missed that mid-credits scene because of an urgent need to break for the bathroom. What was said?
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 07 May 2012, 10:46:47 »
I liked the "professional and efficient" female agent to the "super sexy look look I'm sexy" Natasha. Black Widow had her likable moments (e.g., with Loki), don't get me wrong.
While the Black Widow was trained by the Russians to use her looks in her job, the important thing to notice is that in every scene in this movie where she is doing so, she is completely in control of the situation.  In fact, the only times that her control of herself and her situation really lapses in the film are when she's in the middle of a warzone and when she narrowly escapes being pancaked by the Hulk.  Even then, when it's time for her to pull it together she does so with no difficulty.  The real difference between Maria Hill and Natasha Romanoff is not in the degree of their professionalism and efficiency, it's in their job.  Maria Hill may be part of a covert organization, but she's not a spy the way the Widow is.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #63 on: 07 May 2012, 10:48:44 »
Paraphrase

Chitauri General: The humans are not the weak, grovelling cowards we were told.  They are more powerful than we expected.  To provoke them is to court death itself.

Thanos (evil grin)

Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #64 on: 07 May 2012, 11:38:52 »
While the Black Widow was trained by the Russians to use her looks in her job, the important thing to notice is that in every scene in this movie where she is doing so, she is completely in control of the situation.

Actually, what I noticed in almost every combat scene with Black Widow (especially if knives got involved) was that she played cuddles with her targets.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 07 May 2012, 16:06:37 »
Man..  200+ Million for opening weekend.

TAKE THAT POTTER!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Re: Avenger movie
« Reply #66 on: 07 May 2012, 16:36:44 »
Must not have looked very hard, because as of this posting, the very next topic on the list is the Avengers thread.

Like that's never happened before.  ;D
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #67 on: 07 May 2012, 16:41:19 »
My wife and I saw it today and very much enjoyed it!

I endorse staying and watching both bonus scenes.

I've been hoping for a good Avengers movie for about 35 years and the wait has definately been worth it.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #68 on: 07 May 2012, 17:06:27 »
And merging that other thread in...

Latro

• Sergeant
  • I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work.
« Reply #69 on: 07 May 2012, 20:22:20 »
HA! The Hulk caught Loki monologueing!!
time is meaningless, and yet it is all that exists...

Latro

• Sergeant
« Reply #70 on: 07 May 2012, 20:23:38 »
Hm... So did the Black Widow when you think about it...

Latro

• Sergeant
« Reply #71 on: 07 May 2012, 20:24:51 »
And that S.H.I.E.L.D agent...

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 07 May 2012, 20:36:05 »
There's an edit button for that kind of multi-tiered realization, you do realize?

And now to make this post useful!  Probably going to go see the movie either later this week or next week on Monday.  Birthday is coming up, and I can afford to take a few bucks out of that fund to go see a good movie.  :)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #73 on: 07 May 2012, 21:41:38 »
I think the movie was AMAZING! It might just be the best superhero movie yet made... (even better than the dark Knight). Also, when you see it (WHEN not if) stay to the end.

Was there something AFTER the credits ?   Or just part in space w/ the bad guys ?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #74 on: 07 May 2012, 21:46:48 »
Always stay to the end.

I am seriously considering when to see this, not if.

If an earlier showing were available I'd totally see it tomorrow.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #75 on: 07 May 2012, 21:58:27 »
Was there something AFTER the credits ?   Or just part in space w/ the bad guys ?

Yup.

There are TWO bonus end scenes: one midway through the credits (that's the one with the bad guys you mentioned) and then another one later.  :)

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #76 on: 07 May 2012, 22:03:49 »
Yup.

There are TWO bonus end scenes: one midway through the credits (that's the one with the bad guys you mentioned) and then another one later.  :)

And the second one is hilarious! And, like the rest of the movie, EPIC!
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #77 on: 07 May 2012, 22:04:37 »
Also, I thought Pepper's outfit at the beginning was more attractive than Natasha's outfits.  Natasha was purposefully attractive, Pepper was simply being naturally attractive.
Her cut off shorts outfit was,  enticing.

Dang it,  we made a break for the bathrooms & forgot to come back.
(Much beer before movie & soda during movie did a # on bladder)

Care to give a spoiler covered description ?

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #78 on: 08 May 2012, 02:35:54 »
The second bonus scene: You remember what Tony suggests they do after they get done fighting off the alien invasion?  They do it.

On a related note, I'm feeling hungry now.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 08 May 2012, 02:54:51 »

Yup.

Crap..  Moneylovingogre4hire beat me to it.

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #80 on: 08 May 2012, 08:28:53 »
Point of bafflement: the set design in Avengers was so meticulous. Everything had its place, it wasn't random pickings from a movie studio warehouse thrown together.

Except the rocket engine in the lab where Loki was summoned.

In an underground high energy physics lab for a tesseract there was a lone rocket engine sitting nozzle down on a maintenance cart. There was no spacecraft or rocket-appropriate support hardware to be seen.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3273/2299634006_7db327cb21.jpg

Just a random prop tossed in?

Not that this is crippling my enjoyment of the movie, I'm thinking of seeing a third showing this evening. It was just an odd, "Huh," moment.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #81 on: 08 May 2012, 09:04:05 »
"PUNY GOD!"   ;D
Huh, when I saw it I could have sworn he said "Demi-god".
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #82 on: 08 May 2012, 09:12:39 »
Huh, when I saw it I could have sworn he said "Demi-god".

But that doesn't really sound all that applicable to Hulk.

Uttering "Puny god" while smashing Loki around, on the other hand, sounds like classic Hulk. Plus, it was a direct counter to Loki's "I am a god" proclamation to Hulk.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #83 on: 08 May 2012, 10:06:17 »
Point of bafflement: the set design in Avengers was so meticulous. Everything had its place, it wasn't random pickings from a movie studio warehouse thrown together.

Except the rocket engine in the lab where Loki was summoned.

In an underground high energy physics lab for a tesseract there was a lone rocket engine sitting nozzle down on a maintenance cart. There was no spacecraft or rocket-appropriate support hardware to be seen.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3273/2299634006_7db327cb21.jpg

Just a random prop tossed in?

Not that this is crippling my enjoyment of the movie, I'm thinking of seeing a third showing this evening. It was just an odd, "Huh," moment.
I thought that, too.
Maker of big things.

Col. Chiang

• Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 08 May 2012, 12:07:41 »
Saw this over the weekend.  And I must say, I was impressed!

Non-spoilerrific:

I was struck by just how much S.H.I.E.L.D.'s engineers were influenced by the Kuat Yards school of bridge design.

Robert Downey, Jr. definitely was able to pull off the "smartest guy in the room" vibe for Starke.  His dialogue was just plain fun, the whole way through the movie.  And the interplay between him and Potts was absolutely believable.

I'm still not entirely sold on Mark Ruffalo as Banner.  Still, the Hulk scenes where he's actually green are just awesome.  And getting Lou Ferrigno to do the voice was pure genius.

I like the way that all of the heroes' backgrounds were worked into the story; just enough to get a feel for what each of them is like but not so much as to overwhelm the audience with detail.  It's a great way of "showing, not telling" the characters' personalities.

The movie did a great job of showing each character's limits and abilities, with each of them finding a role and living up to it.

Now for the spoilerrific stuff...

Agent Coulson dying was...not unexpected.  What a way to go, though. On the other hand,  I still think that he might be alive.  That still could have been an LMD that Loki "killed", or Fury could have lied about Coulson being dead to the bridge crew.  My impression is that Fury is not above lying about that to bring the heroes together.  And I could see Coulson going with it.  Neither of them seem to have any qualms about going to extremes to protect the Earth.

Agent Hill did a great job of making me believe that she's a worth successor to Coulson, though.  Apparently (according to the Wikipedia page on the movie) she didn't get a trainer through the studio.  So, instead, she went out and hired one out of her own pocket to be able to bring her character's actions verisimilitude.  Not something you see very often, and it definitely shows through on-screen.  Honestly, I found her scarier than Black Widow in combat.

I love the scene where Cap is admonished by Black Widow that he should stay out of the fight between Iron Man and Thor.  "These guys are basically gods."  "There's only one God, ma'am."  What a line to have just before jumping out of an airplane into a lightning storm.  And the following fight definitely shows how Cap's strengths are useful to the team.

As everyone has mentioned, Loki definitely never read the Evil Overlord list.  He definitely paid for that when he ran afoul of The Hulk.  I laughed really hard at that one.

Also, the cop asking Cap why he should take orders from a guy in a spandex suit?  Great scene.  A little predictable, but in a good way.

My only real complaint is the method of getting people back from Loki's brainwashing.  I mean, hitting them on the head?  Isn't that...kinda cliche, nowadays?  Still, I'll give it a pass considering how good the rest of the story is.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #85 on: 08 May 2012, 17:42:56 »

My only real complaint is the method of getting people back from Loki's brainwashing.  I mean, hitting them on the head?  Isn't that...kinda cliche, nowadays?  Still, I'll give it a pass considering how good the rest of the story is.

I just thought of it as "re-booting"  :D ;D

Col. Chiang

• Sergeant
« Reply #86 on: 08 May 2012, 17:51:28 »
I just thought of it as "re-booting"  :D ;D

Oh, yeah, I definitely subscribe to the Henry Winkler School of Engineering.  Still...

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #87 on: 08 May 2012, 18:48:10 »
about the the part getting out of the brainwash from loki i think it something like nano tech if you don't receive a dose of the staff every so often  you regain control.  remeber hawkeye was tied up and they mention flushing it took a while to flush it out of his system

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #88 on: 08 May 2012, 18:55:16 »
That was my interpretation of it.

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #89 on: 08 May 2012, 20:54:59 »
That was my interpretation of it.

thinking about it even further the reason it didn't work against tony was cause of the chest power thinging (sorry couldn't remeber the name of it) it keep the shrapnel from moving toward his heart.  Most likely it also keep those nano virus from moving around the bloodstream also.