Author Topic: free graphics software?  (Read 1818 times)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
free graphics software?
« on: 08 July 2012, 12:20:57 »
 Like the title says...any one know of a decent one other than gimp that is comparable to adobe photoshop or illustrator?

My wife could use it for a magazine and some other things that she is creating but right now we just can't affort creative suite.

Any ideas?
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: free graphics software?
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2012, 12:25:48 »
I use GIMP and Paint.NET, personally; both are free and both do what I want them to.

GIMP: http://www.gimp.org/
Paint.NET: http://www.getpaint.net/

You may also want to look at Inkscape if you need a vector graphics program (Illustrator is a vector graphics program; Photoshop and the above two are both raster programs): http://inkscape.org/

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2012, 15:17:19 »
Illustrator is vector, so your bet is inkscape. http://www.inkscape.org/ if you search for heathenx inkscape tutorials there's one out there specifically for magazine/brochure layouts.
May I ask what about GIMP turned you off? It's been good to most of us, and since 2.8 its been even better.
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2012, 15:28:35 »
 She says gimp doesn't even compare to photo shop CS 5.5 or 6...thats the real problem. She says the current gimp is like using a photoshop from 12 years ago.

We do appreciate the suggestions guys,thanks.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2012, 15:56:06 »
Are we talking about using the software for design or illustration? For the latter, I'd recommend getting one of the samples Adobe offers since there's no functional difference. For the former, I'd say trying something like ArtRage or again, one of the samples. They're not exactly top of the line for work, but it's less a matter of the tools as it is a matter of the user. I can get identical results from using CS2 or 3 as I can from using CS6. And, to be honest, I kinda prefer the older stuff.
The one, the only, the unnecessary Falchion!

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2012, 16:00:27 »
What specifically is she trying to do? GIMP doesn't have all of the new bells and whistles of the latest versions of Photoshop but if she is looking into those advanced features as necessities then she is just going to have to spend the money for it. Personally I use a mix of GIMP and Photoshop.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #6 on: 08 July 2012, 16:05:48 »
She says gimp doesn't even compare to photo shop CS 5.5 or 6...thats the real problem. She says the current gimp is like using a photoshop from 12 years ago.

We do appreciate the suggestions guys,thanks.

That, unfortunately, is going to be the theme. The free software is adequate to most tasks, but if there are specialized filters or extensions she uses and *has* to have them for professional work, then CS is going to be a requirement I'm afraid.

There's also a methodology and learning curve to overcome. I'm going to guess that your wife hasn't yet explored all the functionality of Gimp or its own extensions. Avid users are capable of doing some very impressive things with the software, but it most certainly doesn't operate the way PS does. Key bindings are different, tools are in different places, some tools have less functionality and some have more, the scripting system is different, and even the workflow operates under different assumptions. If you go into Gimp assuming you're getting, well, a "gimped" photoshop, you're under a misguided assumption. They're two different tools with two different philosophies under-girding each. It's actually kind of a cliche that Gimp users get really annoyed at PS users demanding that Gimp work like Photoshop.

I'm saying all that not to dissuade you or her from using Gimp, but to get across that it really is a different beast that's powerful in different ways than you might be used to.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2012, 16:10:43 »
And yeah, you might want to spell out the functions that are required. Maybe a Gimp expert can outline a workflow that will do the same thing (or close to it) or we can dig up another tool.

Most of the other free stuff won't go past layers, selections and masks, some kind of pen-tool like thing, and some basic color tweaking and filters.

That said, I did find an online raster program called sumo paint. Dunno if that might not have some functionality you're looking for, though paint.net and Gimp have most of what this thing has: http://www.sumo.fm/#create
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2012, 17:12:30 »

PhotoPlus SE is a pretty good image-manipulation program.  I've used it for building avatars like Bedwyr's...

http://www.serif.com/free-photo-editing-software/
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs