Author Topic: Games of Thrones 4th season  (Read 15799 times)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Games of Thrones 4th season
« Reply #30 on: 13 April 2014, 21:00:57 »
2000 hours, GoT S4e2 just finished.

Time to go watch the internetz and bask in the reactions.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #31 on: 13 April 2014, 21:23:44 »
It was such a nice wedding too with such entertainment.  ;)

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #32 on: 13 April 2014, 21:28:27 »
Honestly, I'm surprised they had Joffrey's wedding so soon.  I wasn't too excited about this episode.  The part I liked most was Bronn training Jaime, because it will give Bronn something to do.  This was the part in the books where he faded into the background and was only ever referenced again, and they've made him way too cool a character to just sideline like that.  Plus, they don't have to go cast a Ser Ilyn to train Jaime. 

I'm curious for next week how Dany is going to capture Mereen, as the producers had her use that tactic on Yunkai instead.  Have I already said that?  It seems like I may have.

Stannis... what a whiner.  I don't understand why people like that douchebag.  I love to watch his scenes because Melisandre is usually in them, and it's great to sit back and cackle about how utterly, fabulously, hilariously wrong she is about him. 

Loras Tyrell hammered Jaime pretty hard with just four words.  I love how that moment backfired in Jaime's face.  I don't know where they were going with this whole Loras marrying Cersei thing.  So far it's a very pointless change with zero repercussions. 

And I can't wait to see people's reactions when the find out that Baelish is behind everything!
« Last Edit: 13 April 2014, 21:32:52 by Jal Phoenix »

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 13 April 2014, 21:34:56 »
I think that we are going to be waiting awhile considering that no one really has caught onto that little detail in general by the end of the fifth book.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 13 April 2014, 21:38:30 »
It was such a nice wedding too with such entertainment.  ;)

I can't wait to see video compilations onYouTube of non-book readers reacting to Red Wedding vs Purple Wedding.

Best twitter comment so far: I always get choked up at weddings.

Edit: An even better one.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2014, 21:47:54 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 13 April 2014, 21:51:48 »
So that's what she did on the boat trip when no one was looking.

Personally, I think all Purple Wedding vids deserve to be played with "Guile's Theme", but that's just me.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #36 on: 14 April 2014, 00:41:00 »
Bronn is still in the background making Cersi's life hell in the books, I expect his part is not over yet.  Ramsey Snow's scenes were interesting, the girl hunting (with a girl? odd) and demonstrating his control over Theon.

This season, for Westeros is all about how Tyrion is getting hung out to dry by his family.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 14 April 2014, 11:27:07 »
I didn't think they'd have this wedding so early in the season, but I love how they're moving everything up. It looks like all of the Night's Watch stuff gets moved up too.

Hodor delivered his best line yet.

Ser Ilyn Payne, the actor at least, has terminal pancreatic cancer and the show's producers decided to retire the character out of respect instead of bringing in a new guy. Which means more stuff for Bronn to do, which is cool. He's fun to watch.

My favourite comment on the interwebs so far was "Good night, sweet prick!" and all the comments about getting choked up on weddings. Really looking forward to the next episode.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 14 April 2014, 11:30:54 »
Though I read the books, there were clues on who did the deed throughout the episode; I am curious to see how many people picked it up

To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #39 on: 14 April 2014, 11:41:40 »
Well, the book never comes out and says exactly who . . . but we have a good idea.  I think they did a great job making him out to be even more of an arse.  Bored with the music new wife was enjoying, disinterested in any of the gifts except for the ones related to bloody pursuits, mocking and hate for Uncle Imp- to be honest with the book's description of Tywin's view of other dwarves mocking the Lannister dwarf I did not expect him to sit so still.

They did make him a nasty corpse though . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 14 April 2014, 11:56:53 »
I am amused how Tyrion was the first to be blamed right away when any casual observer would have easily pointed out his innocence.
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 14 April 2014, 12:03:49 »
... Ramsey Snow's scenes were interesting, the girl hunting (with a girl? odd) and demonstrating his control over Theon...

I didn't put my finger on it the first time through, but after the second watching I realized what was bugging me.

I had seen her before.. during Theon's infamous emasculation scene.  I'm wondering now if the blonde they were hunting was the other girl :D

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #42 on: 14 April 2014, 12:05:32 »
Well Cersei's reaction/condemnation is actually rather understandable and the fact that once such emotions/chaos subsides the facts clear him is a large part of what pans out in the books.

And yeah I'm not terribly surprised they're condensing/moving stuff.  The books are fun but I tend to agree Martin did wander and start telling more story then he really needed to or even really should have.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #43 on: 14 April 2014, 13:56:07 »
I didn't put my finger on it the first time through, but after the second watching I realized what was bugging me.

I had seen her before.. during Theon's infamous emasculation scene.  I'm wondering now if the blonde they were hunting was the other girl :D
She was.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #44 on: 14 April 2014, 14:51:38 »
Though I read the books, there were clues on who did the deed throughout the episode; I am curious to see how many people picked it up

I watched it with my dad, who hasn't read the books.  He was speculating and came up with four suspects.

Tyrion, because reasons.

Sansa, obviously, when she picked up the cup for Tyrion could have slipped something into it. 

Pycelle, who was sent down to the kitchens and could have put something in the pie as revenge for how Cesei treated him.

Margaery, to get him out of the way.

Now having read the books I didn't want to tell him, and even if I did the shows producers have changed so much that I may not even be right.  We heard in the books (and yes, it was clearly stated, but by a known liar!) one thing, but they might have something different in mind.  I did see Lady Olenna play with Sansa's hair, though! 

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #45 on: 14 April 2014, 15:10:06 »

Now having read the books I didn't want to tell him, and even if I did the shows producers have changed so much that I may not even be right.  We heard in the books (and yes, it was clearly stated, but by a known liar!) one thing, but they might have something different in mind.  I did see Lady Olenna play with Sansa's hair, though! 

Seriously, do not click on the spoiler if you've not read the books!

I was looking carefully to see if a gem was missing from the necklace after she spoke with Sansa
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #46 on: 14 April 2014, 15:46:08 »
And I do have to say that Jack Gleason is a fantastic actor.  Anyone who can make people hate him so much and so violently, and still make you feel just a tiny bit of pity over his death has some serious talent.  I understand he's even gotten death threats in real life!  I felt the same loathing for Jaoquin Phoenix after Gladiator, and he became one of my favorite actors for it. 

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #47 on: 14 April 2014, 16:00:30 »
And he says he's retired from acting now! 

On a fun note, a webcomic artist I like was in town the other week, and I brought her to a pub near Trinity, with the line "Joffrey drinks in here sometimes"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #48 on: 14 April 2014, 17:06:48 »
Someone PLEASE tell me...
Did they play The Rains of Castamere?  Because that leads into the single best F-You I've ever seen in print later on, and I so hope to hear of it being kept.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 14 April 2014, 17:14:02 »
Someone PLEASE tell me...
Did they play The Rains of Castamere?  Because that leads into the single best F-You I've ever seen in print later on, and I so hope to hear of it being kept.

they did.  And Joff was being such a douche that he bored-ly threw coins at them to make them stop early.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #50 on: 14 April 2014, 17:21:45 »
And then they played it again over the end credits

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #51 on: 14 April 2014, 17:28:42 »
I'm really not happy with the way Tyrion is treating Shae.  He never tried to drive her away in the books.  In fact, Sansa's rejection of him drove him further into Shae's arms.

Her appearance at his murder trial and his subsequent "farewell" to her were the most shocking and painful things in that book.  Now they'll mean less because they won't come as a total surprise.  The emotional impact will be greatly lessened.  I guess since the changed Shae's character so drastically from the books, they had to make this change to keep her in character.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 14 April 2014, 18:40:12 »
I have to say, the scenes capturing key characters' reactions towards the end of the 'historical reenactment' were pieces of masterwork.  I've never been a fan of the character Sansa, but I became a Sophie Turner fan in that scene where she stares right into the camera during the sad dirge.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #53 on: 15 April 2014, 21:47:40 »
I thought Jofferys death was weak. Poison isn't as cool as chopping off a head. I'm sure even a head chopping off wasn't enough for some fans of the show.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #54 on: 15 April 2014, 21:50:09 »
It's a bit harder to sneak into the King's chambers to behead him and slip out unseen compared to poisoning the little rat.

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #55 on: 15 April 2014, 23:53:11 »
I thought Jofferys death was weak. Poison isn't as cool as chopping off a head. I'm sure even a head chopping off wasn't enough for some fans of the show.
Poison is as it was in The Book. and to be honest he didn't deserve a truly glorious death. At least Rob had a fight before he was killed.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 16 April 2014, 15:03:03 »
I am just happy that the little psychopath is dead...I don't really care how it happened.
Made by HikageMaru

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 16 April 2014, 15:20:18 »
I kind of wish it was more horrible. Even Tyrion thought Joffrey may not have deserved that kind of death.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 21 April 2014, 01:44:44 »
I'm not too sure I like what the show is doing with Jaime as of episode 3.  Yeah, the scene between him and Cersei is almost right out of the book, but in the book she's only putting up token resistance because she doesn't want to get caught.  On the show, the scene seems significantly darker...

Yeah, he and Cersei do it almost right on top of Joffrey's corpse in the book too, but in the book that's the first time they see each other after he finally gets back to King's Landing.  Couple that with the next time they got together 'after' that scene in the book, Jaime rebuffed her for being a slitch but on the TV show, she's already rebuffed him for being 'too slow in coming back'.  The dynamic between the two seems all out of wack now.

Reaver

• Warrant Officer
  • 10 XP from 2nd level commoner
« Reply #59 on: 21 April 2014, 19:59:05 »
I'm not too sure I like what the show is doing with Jaime as of episode 3.  Yeah, the scene between him and Cersei is almost right out of the book, but in the book she's only putting up token resistance because she doesn't want to get caught.  On the show, the scene seems significantly darker...

Yeah, he and Cersei do it almost right on top of Joffrey's corpse in the book too, but in the book that's the first time they see each other after he finally gets back to King's Landing.  Couple that with the next time they got together 'after' that scene in the book, Jaime rebuffed her for being a slitch but on the TV show, she's already rebuffed him for being 'too slow in coming back'.  The dynamic between the two seems all out of wack now.

Yeah, that was straight-up character assassination.  We're talking Tasha-Yar-in-The-Naked-Now-class character derailment.  They put all this effort into trying to redeem the character, and they had him do . . . that.  Yeah, not cool guys, and terrible adaptation choice.
The Federated Suns.  Exporting freedom, whether we have it or not, whether you want it or not.
--Pyro