Author Topic: (Sore Thumbs) What Non-BT related Video Game you're playing  (Read 166226 times)

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Re: (Sore Thumbs) What Non-BT related Video Game you're playing
« Reply #900 on: 30 March 2018, 14:54:36 »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/589360/Ni_no_Kuni_II_Revenant_Kingdom/

Studio Ghibli art style in this game. I'm very interested in it.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #901 on: 30 March 2018, 15:47:18 »
After reading the Far Cry 5 thread & asking a couple of questions, I finally installed Far Cry 3 last night to try & get a feel for the series.
I don't think I'm going to be a huge fan of the "open world" aspects, but I loved the psycho bad guy and the stealth/combat felt reasonable.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #902 on: 30 March 2018, 18:48:15 »
still waiting for ys viii on pc...

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #903 on: 30 March 2018, 19:08:26 »
still waiting for ys viii on pc...

I fully expect to get Memories of Celceta before it.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #904 on: 30 March 2018, 20:26:53 »
that would be painful

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #905 on: 05 April 2018, 18:25:26 »
If anyone has been wanting to play Crusader Kings 2 but hasn't gotten it, Steam has the base game for free right now...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #906 on: 06 April 2018, 13:33:56 »
Just recently downloaded StarCraft II. So far, so good.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #907 on: 09 April 2018, 20:11:15 »
that would be painful

NISA announced YS VIII should release on April 16th. They also got Adol's name wrong in the tweet.

I think this qualifies for a facepalm.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #908 on: 11 April 2018, 12:03:08 »
ok this is new but i was expecting this to happen about 4 years back when the ransomware became more mainstream.
https://www.pcgamer.com/a-new-kind-of-ransomware-forces-you-to-play-pubg-to-unlock-your-files/
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #909 on: 12 April 2018, 00:08:25 »
ok this is new but i was expecting this to happen about 4 years back when the ransomware became more mainstream.
https://www.pcgamer.com/a-new-kind-of-ransomware-forces-you-to-play-pubg-to-unlock-your-files/

i mean, i know i was desperate to find players that sucked more than i did, but at least i never-

well okay, i'm mad i didn't think of this.  ;D
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #910 on: 18 April 2018, 05:18:14 »
After not playing for 5 years, I decided to reload Planetside 2.

My battle rank got demoted back down to 1, but at least almost all of the stuff I certed into is still there. I tried to rejoin my old outfit, but they may be kaput.

Im on the Connery serve (US West coast) if anyone wants to know.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #911 on: 02 May 2018, 17:19:27 »
Been playing The Legends of Pirates Online which is a POTCO remake. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #912 on: 02 May 2018, 20:05:12 »
NISA announced YS VIII should release on April 16th. They also got Adol's name wrong in the tweet.

I think this qualifies for a facepalm.

I would be playing it right now but apparently NISA thought it would be cool to lock the internal resolution to 1800p so no matter what I set the resolution to I get 10-40 FPS in most situations. it's all but unplayable for me in its current state.

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #913 on: 02 May 2018, 21:00:18 »
After not playing for 5 years, I decided to reload Planetside 2.

My battle rank got demoted back down to 1, but at least almost all of the stuff I certed into is still there. I tried to rejoin my old outfit, but they may be kaput.

Im on the Connery serve (US West coast) if anyone wants to know.
I'm on that server too. I've been playing for all 3 factions.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #914 on: 03 May 2018, 00:07:45 »
I would be playing it right now but apparently NISA thought it would be cool to lock the internal resolution to 1800p so no matter what I set the resolution to I get 10-40 FPS in most situations. it's all but unplayable for me in its current state.

It's a NISA game. Being unplayable is more of a design feature.
I bought it, scrabbled around for an hour and after it crashed twice, I had it refunded.

You should have seen the absolute blind screeching panic from the Legend of Heroes fanbase when the rumor that NISA was sniffing around Sen no Kiseki III surface.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #915 on: 03 May 2018, 12:02:53 »

It's a NISA game. Being unplayable is more of a design feature.
According to Good Old Games, game is from Nihon Falcom, the same as Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel.

And what's with 1800p resolution?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #916 on: 03 May 2018, 12:17:30 »
According to Good Old Games, game is from Nihon Falcom, the same as Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel.

Probably a typo for 1080p.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #917 on: 03 May 2018, 18:07:05 »

Yeah. Ys VIII was made by Nihon Falcom and the game was released to critical acclaim in Japan.
This absolutely shoddy localization port was done by NIS America however. Apparently, they outbid XSEED Games, the company which had previously worked on practically all the previous Falcom English releases, with the promise of a simultaneous PC port.

Said port was seven months late and the original localization was enough of a fiasco that NISA was forced by pressure to go back and redo the translation which felt machine translated in places. There's a reason the game is referred to in several circles as "Ys: Dana's Big Hole"

If it isn't apparent, I'm somewhat upset over NISA's generally shoddy localization of Japanese games. Not happy with Nihon Falcom over their decision to allow a new localization company to jump in and take a swing at the series midway either.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 18:14:50 by Dies Irae »

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #918 on: 03 May 2018, 18:19:20 »
So I first posted about Fire Emblem: Heroes what, almost three months ago? February?

And I'm still playing it.

If you give no damns about Fire Emblem (and honestly it's a great game series with a lot of challenge to it, so if you've never played one give it a try) then skip the rest of this post, because I wanted to gush about how FEH is quite possibly one of the best free games I've ever played, because it combines

1) Extremely generous free-to-play segment - like, 5 new heroes costs you 20 points, you get 300 points JUST from the story mode, and can get 160-200 free points a month while playing their updated content.

2) gatcha-style collecting of several hundred different Fire Emblem characters from the games dating over thirty years. It also lets you upgrade the lower-ranking heroes into ones with better stats and skills, so if you really like what objectively is a 'bad' hero, you can MAKE them good.

3) High-end free content is puzzle solving, and the solution is unique to each player because each player has a different collection of heroes to solve said puzzle WITH.

4) The whaling (that is to say, pay-to-play content) is only at the very top end of one segment of the game, and it involves the ranking of players online with not-exceptional rewards for BEING at that top end. If you don't care about that, you can safely ignore the hell out of it.

I mean, last year I played a LOT of freemium games thanks to the stress I was under (time-restricted Farmville style games helped me a lot because I could divert my thoughts to "In three hours I have to log back in...") and FEH really does stand out. Most freemium games clamped down real quick and demanded real money in order to keep playing - I was having fun with the tablet Simcity until it got to the point of "If you want your city bigger, pay real money! We're waiting..."

If they don't demand real currency, then the top-end content tends to be nonexistent - Fallout Shelter is that kind of game, where once you get to a Survival Mode vault that has over 100 Dwellers, can survive Deathclaw attacks with no problems, and you've done all the quests you can before you get sick of the repetitive gameplay... the only thing to do is fill out your list of crafted weapons and armor, and troll for lunchboxes to MAYBE get a legendary Dweller.

Not so FEH. Almost every week there's something new to do. I'm actually looking forward to a week where there ISN'T something intense because there's a lot of little side play modes that have updates I've neglected because of the time restricted events.

The only thing that makes me sad is that I didn't start playing this again sooner. Then again, my internet was unreliable until about the point I started playing it, so probably for the best.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #919 on: 03 May 2018, 19:27:14 »
What system is FEH on?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #920 on: 03 May 2018, 21:18:42 »
So, I discovered the app FPS War Robots a while back, but it wasn't something I could get for my Kindle Fire, until lately. Now, I've been playing it. It's very much like MechWarrior, but with a more 'primitive' style of Mechs. I like it, even if there's no story to it. Just PvP. But, the customization and upgrading and then playing on a side just speaks to my inner MechWarrior.

Also, a friend convinced me finally to pick up Final Fantasy Brave Exvius. I'm only up to the first town, but I like the game so far, so I'll be dedicating time to this, as well.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #921 on: 03 May 2018, 22:37:06 »
What system is FEH on?
It's a phone game. Android is what I play it on, but I'm told iOS has it too.

I mean, I've been PLAYING other games - Bravely Default, Bioshock again, Shantae 3 - but I keep booting up my tablet and spending time on it.

This is how much I like it: I've spent money on it. Not a lot, just twenty bucks over the last few months for some 'limited time specials', but I didn't HAVE to in the slightest. I just wanted to throw some money at the creators.

So, I discovered the app FPS War Robots a while back, but it wasn't something I could get for my Kindle Fire, until lately. Now, I've been playing it. It's very much like MechWarrior, but with a more 'primitive' style of Mechs. I like it, even if there's no story to it. Just PvP. But, the customization and upgrading and then playing on a side just speaks to my inner MechWarrior.

Also, a friend convinced me finally to pick up Final Fantasy Brave Exvius. I'm only up to the first town, but I like the game so far, so I'll be dedicating time to this, as well.
I always meant to give War Robots a try, but at the time my internet was flaky so I wanted offline content.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #922 on: 04 May 2018, 11:50:01 »
I'm back to Binding of Isaac, my favorite video game that I also hate. 1,340 hours in it and counting. ::)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #923 on: 05 May 2018, 12:40:14 »
I've always wanted to try a fire emblem game. A co-worker told me about it, and she liked it a lot. She was referring to the Gameboy Advance versions, but that's good enough for me. Still have a DS which plays those, as well as a working game cube with attachment.

If Brave Exvius goes the same way as you're talking, I may switch over.

But, the friend who introduced me to this has been playing from the beginning, and he says he's been doing so for free completely, the entire time.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

elf25s

• Major
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #925 on: 05 May 2018, 13:57:36 »
I've always wanted to try a fire emblem game. A co-worker told me about it, and she liked it a lot. She was referring to the Gameboy Advance versions, but that's good enough for me. Still have a DS which plays those, as well as a working game cube with attachment.

If Brave Exvius goes the same way as you're talking, I may switch over.

But, the friend who introduced me to this has been playing from the beginning, and he says he's been doing so for free completely, the entire time.
The best GBA Fire Emblem is Sacred Stones - there are very, VERY few direct sequels to the FE games, and ironically enough the GBA Fire Emblem is one of those sequels to a game which was never released outside Japan. So you don't need to start with that one, if you have access to Sacred Stones - frankly, the GBA Fire Emblem isn't that great, for all that the FEH devs are obsessed with Lyndis from it.

The Game Cube Fire Emblem, Path of Radiance, is quite good, and it does have a direct sequel in Radiant Dawn for the Wii - that actually draw from each other. Character's stats go up in Radiant Dawn if they're used in PoR, and there are drop items in PoR which aren't used for anything in THAT game, but in Radiant Dawn they come in handy.

If you have a 3DS, though, the best Fire Emblem game of all time, full stop, is Awakening. Hell, it's one of the best games that has ever come from Nintendo. Nintendo basically told the devs, "Fire Emblem isn't selling any more. This is the last FE game if it doesn't do well." So they did it up right, figuring they'd go out with a bang and even if it flopped, at least in ten years it'd be regarded as a hidden gem...

And it did not flop.

I... I even bought DLC for it. Side story stuff, not main plot items hidden behind a paywall, and it was absolutely worth it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #926 on: 07 May 2018, 07:26:31 »
Tried playing with my bro on Fractured Space on steam.  My computer bit challenged so it's no so fun with FPS is in single digits.  It's fun-ish, but i'd like something with more depth.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #927 on: 07 May 2018, 09:58:28 »
Yesterday I played through Mass Effect 2. I consider getting back to Darkest Dungeon again. And I'm attracted towards Mass Effect 3 just to complete the trilogy. And yes, I have seen spoilers about its ending.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #928 on: 07 May 2018, 10:00:43 »
The thing to remember about Mass Effect 3's ending is that it's about 15 minutes out of roughly 60 hours of gameplay if you've got the DLCs.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #929 on: 07 May 2018, 22:17:59 »
Yesterday I played through Mass Effect 2. I consider getting back to Darkest Dungeon again. And I'm attracted towards Mass Effect 3 just to complete the trilogy. And yes, I have seen spoilers about its ending.
And a lot of the complaining about ME3's ending was the reason they released a massive free dlc that extended the ending and made it... better?

I didn't hate it personally, but then I played through the games long after all the controversy died and I found it to be perfectly satisfying. A lot of people probably disliked it for an extremely petty reason I won't mention for spoiler reasons, but there IS a fair bit wrong with it.

Sadly, the guy who wrote the first two games and the first three novels (Drew Karpeshyn) was forced out from ME3 and the ending he WAS building towards isn't the ending of the game. That's a legit reason to dislike it, because (and this isn't canon in the universe) the reason HE had for the Reapers to come through is because the Mass Effect itself endangers the universe; it induces negative effects in nearby suns which causes them to... die.

Like the sun that Tali was studying in ME2 when you pick her up.

So the Reapers come through, sweep up the races that are using the Mass Effect before they - in all ignorance - destroy EVERYTHING, and because they're not TOTAL asshats they try to keep each race they destroy 'alive' by making a new Reaper out of it. Each Reaper is simultaneously a record of a race and its tombstone.

Sadly, that was not the ending and the reason they used.

Get the Citadel DLC for ME3, if you can. It's absolutely amazing and hilarious.