Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 147156 times)

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #330 on: 08 March 2018, 23:31:48 »
Just started The Savior Generals by Hanson.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #331 on: 21 March 2018, 02:04:32 »
Wess'har Wars #1 City of Pearl - 3/10

Background is a vegan treehugger's dream come true, but as I was looking for military scifi its not what I signed up for. Traviss loves characters who are hard-as-titanium-nails SOBs who don't give a flying fornication about anything else but themselves and their perceived mission. IRL we call them anuses. In fiction this is great in setting up plot and developing conflict; not so great when its the protagonist one is supposed to be rooting for, even less so when events are written so they are right.

Many interesting background elements such as megacorporate takeover of Govt, overpopulation, body enhancement etc are inadequately followed up. The book is obviously an introduction to a long series but its not a good one. I won't be reading further.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #332 on: 21 March 2018, 08:59:03 »
"The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle.

Most striking thing about it so far is how closely a lot of the background/setup to the book parallels the BattleTech setting: The year is 3017 (vs. 3025), humanity is recovering from the Secession Wars (Succession Wars), there is a hereditary nobility, there's a planet filled with people who speak in phonetic Scots despite living 1,000 years in the future (Skye/Nortwind), interstellar travel is accomplished by Alderson Drives that allow ships to jump from point to point, though these points must be far away from stars or large planets.

The actual writing/story is a bit pedestrian by comparison. The verra nae ken we noo Scots engineer is an irritating stereotype, and the main character is so dull he could be played by Sam Worthington. Still early going yet, it may pick up.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #333 on: 19 April 2018, 17:11:24 »
I just finished re-read the three books of the Dragonlord Chronicles by Thorarinn Gunnarsson.
I have to say I enjoy these books. It certainly old style of telling a tale of fastasy setting, but i like setting as well as well story in general.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #334 on: 19 April 2018, 17:14:09 »
Just finished reading the Imperial Radch trilogy by Ann Leckie. Space Opera, baby!
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #335 on: 21 April 2018, 21:28:13 »
Currently reading "Borne" by Jeff Vandermeer. It's okay so far, feels like a bit of a slog at times. I definitely liked his Southern Reach trilogy better.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #336 on: 06 May 2018, 07:12:07 »
Recovering from surgery has giving me quite a bit of time for reading! I finished an edited autobiography of Baron Jean-Baptiste Marbot, an officer in Napoleon's army from Italy through Waterloo, finished a biography of James B. McPherson, a remarkable general who served under Sherman, and finished a sci-fi novel Though Hell Should Bar the Way, the latest of the Republic of Cinnabar Navy series.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2018, 22:00:47 by Top Sergeant »
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #337 on: 06 May 2018, 07:26:54 »
Ah!  There's a new RCN book!  I obviously need to get to a book store!!  :drool:

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #338 on: 15 May 2018, 22:13:14 »
I am a third of the way through a newly issued edition of A Dreamer's Tales (April 2018) and it is living up to the hype.

How can a book of short stories first published in 1910 have hype?

It is written by a man whom the following authors have all said inspired their own writing:

Arthur C. Clarke
Ursula K. LeGuin
J.R.R. Tolkien
H.P. Lovecraft
Robert E. Howard
David Eddings
Gene Wolfe
Michael Moorcock
Peter S. Beagle
Gary Gygax

Yeah, I am really liking this book thus far, and thus far I have seen a few premonitions of what I have read in Tolkien, LeGuin, Beagle and Lovecraft. I am eager to find more!

*edit* The author's name is Lord Dunsany.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2018, 22:14:52 by Top Sergeant »

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #339 on: 16 May 2018, 21:33:27 »
I am a third of the way through a newly issued edition of A Dreamer's Tales (April 2018) and it is living up to the hype.

It is written by a man whom the following authors have all said inspired their own writing:

Arthur C. Clarke
Ursula K. LeGuin
J.R.R. Tolkien
H.P. Lovecraft
Robert E. Howard
David Eddings
Gene Wolfe
Michael Moorcock
Peter S. Beagle
Gary Gygax

Yeah, I am really liking this book thus far, and thus far I have seen a few premonitions of what I have read in Tolkien, LeGuin, Beagle and Lovecraft. I am eager to find more!

found a free copy on Amazon's Kindle, thanks for the recommendation.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #340 on: 17 May 2018, 07:41:37 »
Just finished reading the Imperial Radch trilogy by Ann Leckie. Space Opera, baby!
I read the first one but heard series quality drops off precipitously after that. What's your take?
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #341 on: 17 May 2018, 07:51:19 »
I read the first one but heard series quality drops off precipitously after that. What's your take?

Not so much a quality change, but a tonal change. I found books 2 and 3 to be just as enjoyable as the first.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #342 on: 17 May 2018, 12:38:27 »
found a free copy on Amazon's Kindle, thanks for the recommendation.

didn't catch it free but the compendium  has it and 9 other stories for .99
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #343 on: 04 June 2018, 18:16:59 »
An Army at Dawn: The War In North Africa 1942-1943, by Rick Atkinson
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #344 on: 04 June 2018, 19:51:49 »
Wrapped up the English edition of Timur Vermes' "Look Who's Back"

It's a fantastically subversive little satire about Adolph Hitler waking up in a park in Germany in 2011, getting mistaken for a method actor and his focusing on his bumbling struggles with modernity. Discussion of most of the themes of the book would violate forum political rules, but by the end of it, I realized that somewhere along the way Adolph had somehow made the leap to "likable friend" and I was cheering his little victories.

That sort of terrified me, which is what I think Vermes was aiming for.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #345 on: 04 June 2018, 21:46:59 »
As it is the 100th anniversary of the US fighting in Europe in WWI I have re-read My Fellow Soldiers, an excellent account of the AEF.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #346 on: 14 June 2018, 23:25:25 »

Arthur C. Clarke
Ursula K. LeGuin
J.R.R. Tolkien
H.P. Lovecraft
Robert E. Howard
David Eddings
Gene Wolfe
Michael Moorcock
Peter S. Beagle
Gary Gygax

Just picked this book up as well, I'd always heard of Lord Dunsany, but, never read any of his works. Once I finish up reading Operation Audacity I'll be starting in on it.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #347 on: 15 June 2018, 00:50:30 »
There's a reissued paper copy with commentary by James Portnow (the design consultant that writes for Extra Credits). The Kindle edition is $1. I do recommend getting that as he's got some good thoughts on Dunsany's place in history.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #348 on: 15 June 2018, 00:55:58 »
An Army at Dawn: The War In North Africa 1942-1943, by Rick Atkinson

Okay, taking a break from this.  I'm really starting to doubt the quality of the research that went into this book, given that the author made some glaring errors that I know about: first, they repeated the line about M4 Shermans being known as Ronsons even though the "light's up the first time, every time" slogan wasn't used until after WW2 ended, and second he gets the American Tank Destroyer Doctrine completely wrong.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #349 on: 15 June 2018, 11:22:44 »
NOS4A2, Joe Hill.  The blood-covered apple has not fallen far from the scary tree. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #350 on: 18 June 2018, 16:07:22 »
Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline.

I had acquired the book prior to seeing the movie, but held off wanting see the film first since i know alot is dropped from the books.  I enjoyed the film, but after reading the novel. I thought the book was better, Spielberg cut alot content and arranged things from the book to fit story.  Admittedly the book get's around issue with copy right issues the film wouldn't be able handle.

The book prior to me reading it, people had given me mix signals their feeling with it. Alot nostalgia built plot, but the scifi world it takes place was interesting.  Not the happy not so dark world the film was set.  Its worth a read if you grew up in the 80s.  Its more to offer aside from nostalgia.   
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #351 on: 25 June 2018, 13:55:58 »
8 Million Ways to Die, Lawrence Block.  After watching A Walk Among the Tombstones, I decided to dig back into the Matt Scudder books. I always liked Block's turn of a phrase with titles as well, with When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (a line from "Last Call" by Dave Van Ronk) standing out for me.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #352 on: 30 June 2018, 15:02:21 »
The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #353 on: 30 June 2018, 15:44:44 »
"Where's my cow?" and "Felicity Beedle's The World of Poo", both by Terry Pratchett.

Yes, new granddaughter. Start'em right young ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Armiger

• Recruit
« Reply #354 on: 30 June 2018, 21:04:59 »
War As I Knew It by General George S. Patton Jr.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #355 on: 30 June 2018, 21:07:12 »
I remember reading that in high school.

Armiger

• Recruit
« Reply #356 on: 30 June 2018, 21:25:20 »
I remember reading that in high school.

It's been quite an enjoyable read so far!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #357 on: 30 June 2018, 21:29:07 »
Just remember that Patton was a shameless self-promoter who tended to blame other people whenever anything went wrong.

Armiger

• Recruit
« Reply #358 on: 30 June 2018, 21:31:18 »
Just remember that Patton was a shameless self-promoter who tended to blame other people whenever anything went wrong.

I'm well aware of this, nevertheless I will continue to read his book!  ;)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #359 on: 30 June 2018, 22:39:19 »
Oh, I'm not saying you shouldn't, it's a good read after all.  Just making sure that you're aware of Patton's tendencies while you're doing so. :thumbsup:

Register