Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles version M4 - are we going with that? Sure, man.  (Read 199113 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
That'll clear your sinuses!

Watch his face closely, you can see everything he's REALLY trying not to have to have bleeped out after that goes off.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
I have spoken.

Kidd

• Major
Wrong kind of caterpillar drive, Comrade.

Luciora

• Major
The A-team are chickens.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
Found a gif with a deflagration on it. Note this isn't an explosion. Coal dust is just very flammable and this is 'just' a rapid burn

https://imgur.com/gallery/1TU1r7e

Apparently the chap threw a ton of fire lighters onto an already lit BBQ and was not too badly hurt.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Found a gif with a deflagration on it. Note this isn't an explosion. Coal dust is just very flammable and this is 'just' a rapid burn

https://imgur.com/gallery/1TU1r7e

Apparently the chap threw a ton of fire lighters onto an already lit BBQ and was not too badly hurt.

He should pilot the DRW-1N Darwin which mostly has MG ammo around it's XL engine...
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Very different idea for a tank.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
Not a picture per se but I've been leafing through my Tank Commander Pock Book 1939-1945 which has elements of the FM 17-30 from October 1942 which details the different ammunition loads of the different tanks in use

Light Tank M3 (Stuart) : 1 x 37mm gun carrying 103 rounds with an effective rate of fire of 10 rounds per minute and able to engage 21 targets with the average 5 rounds needed to complete an engagement per target

Medium Tank M3 (Lee/Grant) : 1 x 37mm gun carrying 150 rounds with an effective rate of fire of 10 rounds per minute and able to engage 30 targets with the average 5 rounds needed to complete an engagement per target
1 x 75mm gun carrying 50 rounds with an effective rate of fire of 6 rounds per minute and able to engage 10 targets with the average 5 rounds needed to complete an engagement per target

Medium Tank M4 (Sherman): 1 x 75mm gun carrying 96 rounds with an effective rate of fire of 6 rounds per minute and able to engage 15 targets with the average 5 rounds needed to complete an engagement per target

What is interesting is the increased utility of the 75mm gun over the 37mm for attacking things like infantry or anti-tank guns at anything over 200 yards (at which point the 37mm had canister) while the smoke rounds of the 75mm had no equivalent for the 37mm and was great for suppressing positions as well as setting fire to things
« Last Edit: 21 April 2018, 04:18:40 by DoctorMonkey »

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
The King Tiger.

Because the standard Tiger wasn't impractical enough.
I have spoken.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Because the standard Tiger wasn't impractical enough.
Hey... At least it got a better gun and improved armor layout (sloped armor). Allies tankers would had preferred the old Tiger H over this beast.  xp
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
I think they'd have preferred the Tiger P, that thing was bonkers with its electric drives :s

VhenRa

• Captain
Hey... At least it got a better gun and improved armor layout (sloped armor). Allies tankers would had preferred the old Tiger H over this beast.  xp

They likely would have preferred driving the old Tiger I H as well. The Tiger by that point was one of the more reliable German tanks. The Tiger II was an unreliable beast that would often get a significant percentage of it's hulls as mechanical causalities on a road march before entering combat

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
I think they'd have preferred the Tiger P, that thing was bonkers with its electric drives :s

the Tiger P is a great example of a concept outrunning the material capability of a civilization.  The reason it suffered from fires and didn't work, was that it was, at the time, literally impossible to build electric motors that could do what Porsche wanted to do with them, and even generators were bulkier and heavier than they would be for the same output even ten years later.  Hell, it' might be impossible with TODAY'S electric motor technology, but it's MORE possible today, than it was in 1940-something with the state of electrical engineering and materials science that was available then, vs. now.

He had a terrific concept, but the materials and the knowledge to make it happen weren't there at the time.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
I think it's possible today, but I'm a physicist, not an engineer...

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
They likely would have preferred driving the old Tiger I H as well. The Tiger by that point was one of the more reliable German tanks. The Tiger II was an unreliable beast that would often get a significant percentage of it's hulls as mechanical causalities on a road march before entering combat

Both Tigers had reliability issues, as both were underpowered. The Tiger I was moderately underpowered, & suffered from reliability issues because of it (crews had to be forbidden to tow a disabled Tiger with their own Tiger, since this would often result in a blown engine, even if these orders were ignored from time to time). The Tiger II even moreso, as it reused the same engine & drivetrain as the Tiger I while being several tons heavier. More than half of all Tigers (both types) lost was due to crew destruction rather than actual combat, due to breakdowns. It seems the best way to kill a Tiger was to outflank strategically & force them to engage in a road march on their own tracks...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
That describes about half of all German tanks used in the war.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
So that was the mistake made when fielding the French tanks - given the amount of multi-tasking needed of the commander it should have been done by a woman rather than a man!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
I think it's possible today, but I'm a physicist, not an engineer...
it is, he basically came up with the Hybrid-electric drive. such tech is becoming fairly common on cars, more than a few military forces are looking to be switching to it for their wheeled vehicles, and there are a number of next generation tank projects* using it and discussion of using it to refit existing MBT's. a version of it is also in use on a the Littorial combat Ships.

« Last Edit: 23 April 2018, 14:19:42 by glitterboy2098 »

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
It wasn't exactly new technology in 1940 either. ^-^

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
I was lucky enough to get to visit the Porsche museum on one of my trips to Stuttgart for work.  The very first exhibit is of his first attempt at a car... an electric one, no less...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!

Effects of a HEAT round on stacked steel blocks.

And what one looks like going off, from the outside.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
What's being shot there?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Looks like an M-48 to me.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Looks like an M48/M60 by looking at the forward hull.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner