Author Topic: The Sohei: O5P Warrior Monks  (Read 99160 times)

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
Re: The Sohei: O5P Warrior Monks
« Reply #600 on: 06 April 2023, 20:57:31 »
Okay Doc, I am officially changing the Oniwaka Company in charge of the LZ defense to the 2nd as by the bios below they are the most appropriate for defensive operations and should have been here. Oversight on my part.

Olgr Gangleri (Ice Hellion)
Born on Rasalhague, Olgr Gangleri was an oddity in the ‘Mech oriented DCMS as an expert infantry leader, able to stubbornly defend any position in spite of overwhelming odds or to launch and take fortified positions and stay there until reinforcements came.
He proved it time after time during the War of 3039 and the early battles of the Clan Invasion, leading whole platoons and earning for himself the nickname of Fudō for the protective deity in Buddhism, the Immovable One.
In spite of being born on what became the capital of the Free Rasalhague Republic, Shujin Gangleri decided to stay with the Draconis Combine seeing this as “his duty” and never displayed any lack of motivation to perform it.
However because of his noticeable Scandinavian origins (Olgr Gangleri is a blonde giant more akin to a Viking warrior of old than to a Samurai) and of an obscure reference written in his personal file about “the Arteson’s mark”, he was sent on some Periphery worlds facing only bandits and pirates, until he came across Kenji Minamoto that brought Fudō with him in the Oniwaka unit.

David Sakamoto and Serina Akiyama (Calderon)
When growing up, David was always larger than all the other children.  He found himself being picked on and bullied by the other children for his size quite often.  When he was 13 years old and already well over 6 foot, this not only continued but got worse.  At this point in his life he was in a much better position not to take it anymore.  He started fighting back against these bullies and fought back effectively.  No matter how well trained his adversaries his brute force always made him the victor on the playground.  But since he was usually the victor over the children from more influential families he tended to come out the loser with school policy.  It wasn’t until he put four boys in the hospital (including a Duke’s son) when he was 14, that they decided to send him to a special school for children with disciplinary problems.
Now Serina was one of those girls who was never really noticed.  She took this to her advantage and was the class prankster.  When she pranked the wrong person, she was noticed that day.  She was badly beaten and after that her parents enrolled her into martial arts, self-defense classes.  She took to this training quite well and paired it with her abilities to blend in and vanish in the crowds to enhance her pranks.  One of these pranks got her a one-way ticket straight to the very same school that David found himself a part of.
David experienced the same issues in the new school that he had in regular schools until he met Serina.  The two were practically inseparable.  Serina began to train David in the martial arts she knew and in turn David offered her protection when those pranks were noticed by the other students.  Eventually they were both noticed and recruited by the Sohei. David now measuring at 7’10” was a shoe in for the Oniwaka.  Serina with her small physical size and training become a marine with many special talents including zero-g fighting.  To keep the bond that these two had together, David’s infantry unit is usually travels with Serina’s ship.

Tanya “Xena” Skrypnikova
Born on Dnepropetrovsk in 3027 and standing in at 6’4” and just under 200 lbs. she has been mistaken before more as a man then woman.   Her hand to hand training is in Sambo.  As well as being a crack shot with her Sternsnacht Claymore Heavy Pistol.  She command a platoon of Motorized Heavy Armored Infantry or as they are known Heruhaundo. 
Motorized Heavy Armored Infantry or Heruhaundo  ヘルハウンド “Hellhounds”    Vet
based on this idea http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Heavy_Infantry
Ours will be carrying Laser Rifles backed by Semi-Portable Particle Cannon.  If they are deployed correctly they can hold off a lance, and require you to send a Company worth of assets to dig them out.  They were raised by the O5P as a defensive force, yet have been transferred to Sohei as a combat unit against the clans.

Olgr like Zena sounds like a heavy weapons commander and ideally suited to static defense such as our scenario here. David Sakamoto and Serina Akiyama (written by Calderon) are ideally suited to coordinate the ground defense as I imagined marines on board the three ground dropships being active throughout the scenario here.

So with that resolved what sort of preparations do you think they would have made in advance of this scenario?

How big would the three grounded dropships be? I'm looking for hex sizes so I can place them on the map. How far apart do you think they would be here? Safe distance when landing and taking off weighed against the best possible security perimeter. I would their weaponry would certainly be brought to bear in this scenario if at all possible.

What do you think your sapper Mechs should be doing Doc? The Firestarter and the Hatchetman? Currently the BattleMech field strength of the unit looks like this in terms of operational units.

Command Lance - 100%
Mobile Assault Lance 1 - 100%
Mobile Assault Lance 2 - 100%
Mobile Assault Lance 3 - 75% (Catherine Kennedy out)
Battle Lance 1 - 75% (Jak Warren out)
Battle Lance 2 - 75% (Aika Gunma out)
Battle Lance 3 - 100%
Strike Lance 1 - 75% (Katsumi Watanabe out)
Strike Lance 2 -100%
Strike Lance 3 -100%

So four lances down one Mech a piece.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #601 on: 06 April 2023, 22:15:56 »
some quick thoughts before bedtime
Well at least we have a nice and friendly infantry force...   :thumbsup:

Our Sappers should be deployed "shoring up" our defense seeing as we are "bunker down on a plains. 

My question on the dropships are how close to offloading everything are we.  Emptied Dropships can be locked down, leaving only single opening, perferable personal sized not mech size which limits "boarding actions" to try to enter the door which you can defend.

Size of the dropships, somewhere I thought there were # of templates for dropships.
Look Here

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
« Reply #602 on: 07 April 2023, 12:57:20 »
Olgr Gangleri  :D
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #603 on: 10 April 2023, 15:29:08 »
Our Sappers should be deployed "shoring up" our defense seeing as we are "bunker down on a plains. 

I have adjusted the original scenario layout to reflect not only the change of infantry company (which I’d love to further detail!) but including the Combat Sappers as well.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/non-canon-units/the-sohei-o5p-warrior-monks/msg1924414/#msg1924414

Aside from coming up with stats on the infantry platoons present what other defense works do you have in mind?

My question on the dropships are how close to offloading everything are we.  Emptied Dropships can be locked down, leaving only single opening, perferable personal sized not mech size which limits "boarding actions" to try to enter the door which you can defend.

While all combat equipment has been offloaded, supplies remain onboard the ships, and recovery operations are currently underway with salvaged material being loaded. There are marines on board led by Serina Akiyama who is closely coordinating with David Sakamoto on ground defense. These security units may need further detail as well. I doubt everything would be locked down per say but forces here would be on high alert with the Trial and Aerospace battle going down how they did.

I pictured the dropships are parked in a triangular formation circled around the Mobile HQs 

Overlord (99m x 99 mm x 131.2 m) 4 hexes by 4 hexes by 5 hexes tall
Seeker (91m x 91m x 88.7 m) 3 plus haves by 3 plus hexes by 3 hexes tall
Mule (158m x 158 m 100.4 m) 5 plus hexes by 5 plus hexes by 3 hexes tall

Still thinking about how many hexes apart each dropship is?
« Last Edit: 10 April 2023, 15:30:53 by Takiro »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #604 on: 10 April 2023, 17:23:05 »
Any chance the O5P could spring for some of the fancy laser rifles from Steiner or Marik stocks?  ^-^

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #605 on: 10 April 2023, 17:47:22 »
What type does Kurita have? I'd likely go with them first.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #606 on: 10 April 2023, 18:56:58 »
Here's the link to the list: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/battle-armor/shrapnel-issue-9-laser-rifles-for-tw/

The DC rifle is bottom of the barrel, really.  I figure if any organization might be able to justify better tech from elsewhere, it's the O5P... ;)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #607 on: 10 April 2023, 19:10:35 »
So I'm thinking 10 hex at minium away from each other

right now the contruction of berms so takeoff doesn't damage other craft as well as defensive positions.

we are not able to lock down the dropships as we are doing salvage ops. :(

Any chance the O5P could spring for some of the fancy laser rifles from Steiner or Marik stocks?  ^-^
What type does Kurita have? I'd likely go with them first.
Well Captain of Juraki Jakku
Sho-sa (Commander) Kevin Sinclair
Kevin while he sounds like he is from the Davion Outback is in fact from Pondicherry born in 2990.  He has served in the Covert Arm of the O5P fleet for years traveling the stars.  Working his way up from mere crew member to becoming the Captain of the Juraki Jakku 10 years ago.   
To help keep up the image as a ex-pat Davion he packs a Serek 7875D and he has a old battered Zues Heavy Rifle that he a decent shot with

So he put the ID of Davion, so arming the Inf with outside nation's weapons is not impossible.  I would say this ship would have FS gear on board.

But this was kinda what we talked about..  and are we running 5, 5 men squad or 4 7 man squads?

Makes sense... speaking of infantry, here's an idea for your conventional organization, splitting the difference between a base 5 organization and standard 7 trooper squads:

5 Intek Laser Rifles and 1 Automatic Grenade Launcher per squad
5 squads per platoon (25 Inteks plus 5 Auto Grenade Launchers)

This gets them 3 points of damage per squad (2.54, rounds up to 3) at range 3/6/9 with no movement penalty.  When lumped together as platoons it's only 13, but that's still not bad.  Inteks are hyper efficient, and can be made more so by applying the custom weapon rules form the AToW Companion (i.e., down to only 1 Power Point per shot; see page 161).  This means the troops can carry truly ridiculous amounts of ammunition, giving them tremendous staying power.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #608 on: 10 April 2023, 19:14:37 »
Those calculations were sadly blown away by Shrapnel... the laser rifles on offer from Steiner and Marik are BETTER than OG Support Lasers.  The only thing that bests them are the Sniper Rifles, ALSO from Shrapnel.  I don't know what kind of "rebalancing" TPTB were shooting for, but I daresay they overcompensated...  :o

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #609 on: 10 April 2023, 19:58:17 »
To provide an example, taking my "splitting the difference" above:

Under current rules, 0.6 is the most you can get from a primary weapon (gaining the Heavy Burst special for... reasons).  This means you can down shift from an Auto-Grenade Launcher at 12kg (1E crew) to a "regular" Grenade Launcher at 5 kg (and only 1 crew) and still get one more point of damage per squad (3.81 rounds to 4) and 19 per platoon.  All at vastly increased range (4/8/12 for the cheaper Marik stuff, 5/10/15 for the Steiner "Gucci" laser rifles, and 7/14/21 for the ridiculous Davion (extended capacity modified) Sniper Rifles as primary weapons; my sig block includes the link to the Sniper Rifle conversions to TW scale.  Even more scarily, you could get the range of those Davion things up to 10/20/30 by reducing the damage a bit (but it looks to still be above 0.60)... I'm not sure if you can apply the extended magazine at the same time, but it you can...  :o).

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #610 on: 10 April 2023, 20:07:02 »
Those calculations were sadly blown away by Shrapnel... the laser rifles on offer from Steiner and Marik are BETTER than OG Support Lasers.  The only thing that bests them are the Sniper Rifles, ALSO from Shrapnel.  I don't know what kind of "rebalancing" TPTB were shooting for, but I daresay they overcompensated...  :o
I'm not sure they knew what they were rebalancing..  Like I said back when we started his ride that what we were working with.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #611 on: 10 April 2023, 20:43:48 »
Not sure the stuff in Shrapnel is available circa late 3052 or 3053. FASA1671 Mechwarrior Companion does however have the Tsaumi Heavy Gauss Rifle on page 111.

It is true that you can justify many different types of infantry weapons from different regions of the InnerSphere. We could go outside the norm in a few cases but should stick with Kurita equipment for the most part.

Berms are certainly do able.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #612 on: 11 April 2023, 03:13:04 »
The availabilities of almost all the Shrapnel weapons extend deep back into the Succession Wars.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #613 on: 11 April 2023, 16:27:31 »
Standard Platoon size Doc_Argen, sorry if I missed that before. 28 troops in 4 squads (7 per).

The availabilities of almost all the Shrapnel weapons extend deep back into the Succession Wars.

Ah, very good. I saw some that were Dark Age or more. I'd have to compare new stats to old for some comparisons.

Aside from that do you guys have any suggestions?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #614 on: 11 April 2023, 18:40:02 »
The Combine appears to have drawn the short straw in all the Shrapnel lists, sorry.  Even the Capellans have SOME better weapons...  ::)

That said, 7-trooper squads can take 3 points of damage (5 Auto-Rifles) out to 5/10/15 range with a pair of Sairentosutomu Sniper Rifles.  That's still not bad, really...  ^-^

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #615 on: 11 April 2023, 20:02:27 »
Is that consider Heavy Weapons as these platoons would likely be considered?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #616 on: 11 April 2023, 20:46:41 »
Sniper Rifles are Standard Weapons, not Support, so "no" to your question as asked good sir.  Secondary Weapons (whether Standard or Support) determine the range of a squad if there are two of them.

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #617 on: 12 April 2023, 15:41:41 »
It is true that you can justify many different types of infantry weapons from different regions of the InnerSphere. We could go outside the norm in a few cases but should stick with Kurita equipment for the most part.

What about using the Free Rasalhague Republic as a proxy to provide Steiner weapons?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #618 on: 12 April 2023, 16:57:08 »
Add to that the versatility of the DWS weapons... they can be converted to various versions of each other by a competent tech...  ^-^

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #619 on: 12 April 2023, 18:21:46 »
That is possible.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #620 on: 12 April 2023, 18:44:55 »
Woo!  So figure the O5P obtained a crate of DWS Laser Rifles, and via OTHER means got the tech manual for the series.  Three months later, they have a crate of the Sniper Rifles...  ^-^

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #621 on: 24 April 2023, 20:51:43 »
Alrighty, looking through TRO 3085 for Infantry Platoon Archetypes we can build off I got two.

Heavy Support Infantry (pg 221) - Corporations - Motorized - I'd replace their Gauss weaponry with the Tsuanami and make various other minor changes also like the heavy armor

Pirate (pg 219) - General Periphery/ Pirate - Motorized - Again cosmetic changes but the weaponry remains unchanged for these Firebreathers

Already utilized by Doc_Argen is...

Heavy Infantry (pg 203) - House Steiner- Mechanized - The Hellhounds

And another possibility which is very Kurita...

Mechanized Field Artillery (pg 195) - House Kurita - Mechanized - Thumper Artillery [I think this is unlikely]

I am still researching the other possibilities and would love feedback.  ;)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #622 on: 25 April 2023, 10:56:05 »
I'll be back at my main computer this weekend, and will see what we can do.

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #623 on: 25 April 2023, 13:12:12 »
The Motorized Heavy Infantry but with recoiless rifles.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #624 on: 25 April 2023, 15:41:53 »

Anti-'Mech Jump Infantry

and u did it again with my name   8)

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #625 on: 26 April 2023, 04:41:41 »
I confess, everytime I think of your name Doc I am channeling the bad guy from Lethal Weapon 2.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097733/

I didn't go with Anti-Mech Jump Infantry because of the 21 man platoon. Likely our boys are motorized or mechanized which brings up another topic, what do you think their rides are?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #626 on: 26 April 2023, 09:27:27 »
I advocate for real combat vehicles, personally.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #627 on: 04 May 2023, 20:46:42 »
Keep forgetting to post this outline I started last weekend off the three infantry platoons based on TRO 3085 section. Please add your thoughts (especially if you are the creators) and relevant construction info. Thanks!

Oniwaka Heavy Motorized Infantry (1 – Ice Hellion)
Notable Unit: 1st Platoon - ?
Tech Base (Rating): Inner Sphere (?/?-?-?)
Transport Weight: ? tons
Equipment:
   Primary Weapon:
Secondary Weapon:
Armor: Draconis Combine Standard Infantry Kit
Battle Value: ?
Notes:

Platoon Type (Specialty): Motorized (None)
Ground MP: 1
Platoon Size (Squad/Platoon): 28 (7/4)
Armor Divisor: 1
To-Hit Modifier (Range in Hexes):
?

Maximum Weapon Damage (# of Troopers):
?

Oniwaka Heavy Motorized Infantry (2 – Calderon – Heavy Support Infantry)
Notable Unit: 2nd Platoon - The Dragon's Coils
Equipment:
   Primary Weapon: 20 Blazers
Secondary Weapon: 8 Tsaumi Heavy Gauss Rifles
Armor: Ballistic Plate
Notes:

Armor Divisor: 2
?

?

Oniwaka Heavy Motorized Infantry (3 – Don_Agren)
Notable Unit: 3rd Platoon - Heruhaundo “Hellhounds”
Equipment:
   Primary Weapon: 24 Laser Rifles
Secondary Weapon: 4 Semi-Portable Particle Cannon
Armor: Draconis Combine Standard Infantry Kit
Notes:

Armor Divisor: 1
?

?
« Last Edit: 05 May 2023, 04:38:03 by Takiro »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #628 on: 04 May 2023, 21:06:25 »
You should at least go with Darklight-CL Laser Rifles instead of the bog standard (or even Blazer Rifle) kinds...  8)

Link to a relevant thread: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/battle-armor/shrapnel-issue-9-laser-rifles-for-tw/

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #629 on: 05 May 2023, 04:43:30 »
Waiting on Ice Hellion for his weapon choices for his 1st Platoon.

I choose the Blazers for 2nd Platoon as that was my favorite OG infantry weapon (actually used by Takiro) from the Draconis Combine plus that is what DEST archetype uses in TRO3085. Called them the Dragon's Coils after their new main weapon the Gauss aka as the Coilgun. Got come up with the other stats though.

Simply put what Doc had for the 3rd.