Author Topic: Any updates for the Wasp?  (Read 51765 times)

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
Re: Any updates for the Wasp?
« Reply #210 on: 22 July 2017, 23:55:21 »
Go to the Catalyst web store. If there were HG issues, Combat Manuals Kurita and Mercenaries would have been pulled from sale so fast your head would spin, because they both contain art of the new Warhammer, Wasp, and Phoenix Hawk, as well as the Marauder mini.
That's why I wasn't yet advocating pulling the "Wrath of HG" alarm just yet. On the other hand, it did seem suspicious that the bulk of the omissions were those... Just the thing to play into the collective paranoia...

It's way too early to lose hair... over this

If you'd ever seen me in person, you'd realize that ship has sailed (though that's more crappy genetics than worry over the Classics  :D )

(although a little transparency from TPTB would be nice).

Agreed. Although if there's a NDA or gag order, they may not be able to say anything. But still just something would be nice to allay the madding crowd's fears (or spur a run on hardware stores for pitchforks, torches and tar, along with a stop at Macy's to buy out their down pillows...  >:D)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #211 on: 23 July 2017, 00:04:43 »
Agreed. Although if there's a NDA or gag order, they may not be able to say anything. But still just something would be nice to allay the madding crowd's fears (or spur a run on hardware stores for pitchforks, torches and tar, along with a stop at Macy's to buy out their down pillows...  >:D)

If they can't say anything, then there's no something they could say to calm people down.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #212 on: 23 July 2017, 00:06:28 »
What? We still have Macys??? You mean they haven't gone the route of Sears, Service Merchandise, and JC Penny?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #213 on: 23 July 2017, 04:05:05 »
Although if there's a NDA or gag order, they may not be able to say anything. But still just something would be nice

When talking (or not) about Harmony Gold, it's often best to subscribe to the "if you can't say something nice about someone ..." approach ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #214 on: 23 July 2017, 05:51:46 »
"if you can't say something nice about someone ..."

...shoot him in the face?

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #215 on: 23 July 2017, 08:59:41 »
What? We still have Macys??? You mean they haven't gone the route of Sears, Service Merchandise, and JC Penny?

Sears & JC Penney is still around here...but man, I thought I was the only one that remembered Service Merchandise!

So...since this has gone way off topic, for pages now...it will be a while before we have any updates from what I'm told. The Wasp has been pulled, and the Valkyrie is on hold. Till they give us more info, that's all that can be said unfortunately.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #216 on: 23 July 2017, 12:58:28 »
My dad used to work there. And that ends this off topic section.

Back to you Chuck.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #217 on: 23 July 2017, 15:12:15 »
I think we found our culprit.   :'(

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/washington/wawdce/2:2017cv00327/242820

Mods,  please remove if this is not allowed.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #218 on: 23 July 2017, 15:15:31 »
Yeah, I already cursed them over in a different thread.  I have visions of an entire mech company stomping their offices out of existence...
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #219 on: 23 July 2017, 15:35:52 »
I missed it becauseof the misleading title :(

Yeah, I already cursed them over in a different thread.  I have visions of an entire mech company stomping their offices out of existence...

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #220 on: 23 July 2017, 16:43:05 »
It appears that the actual court proceedings that will settle this whole thing aren't set to begin until september of 2018 (that tidbit is buried in the mess of legal ramblings found here).

So it seems we better get used to being without wasps for a while longer.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #221 on: 24 July 2017, 00:04:18 »
So why are they pitching a fit now?  The Project Phoenix designs came out years ago and they are still around.  The new Wasp wasn't any closer to a Macross design than the Project Phoenix ones.  Plus what do they gain out of this other than the ire of fans?  This isn't exactly big money we're talking about here.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #222 on: 24 July 2017, 00:10:48 »
It seems to be related to the computer games. Harebrained Schemes and Piranha Games were the initial targets of the lawsuit.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #223 on: 24 July 2017, 00:22:41 »
I think HG just hates Jordan as it "looks" like he is the main focus even though HBS had to license the art/models from PGI and part of the complaint was that HE supposedly had a hand in it.

But what I find super funny is they are comparing the MWO Locust art from Battletech game to the Marauder as a copyright violation as well as the MWO Atlas saying it is derived from the Armored Veritech (Crusader). They also claim that the Shadow Hawk is a derivative of the Spartan (Archer).

Scroll down to the bottom of the link and read the PDF complaint file: https://www.plainsite.org/dockets/34e3xggza/washington-western-district-court//

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #224 on: 24 July 2017, 01:01:21 »
So the scary part of that is that if the court looks at the Locust/Marauder, Atlas/Armoured Valkyrie and Shadow Hawk/whatever-it-was comparison shots, and they say "yep, they're all robots alright" and deem them to be derivative, then where does it stop? is every bipedal "warrior robot" designed thereafter then a derivative of Robotech? Does HG then have carte blanche start suing the makers of Pacific Rim, Transformers (oh wait, they already tried that), Starsiege, and everything else that has come since?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #225 on: 24 July 2017, 01:21:28 »
My magic eight ball says the creative team behind Robot Jox is next :P

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #226 on: 24 July 2017, 03:53:44 »
Worth noting Harmony Gold just announced a new movie deal with Sony...
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #227 on: 24 July 2017, 03:54:50 »
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58142.0

All discussion of the current situation with Harmony Gold should probably go there.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #228 on: 24 July 2017, 04:01:16 »
Okay now, CGL is not listed in those papers (or is it indirectly with "et al"?), so can we assume that they and IWM lay low by retracting the retconned Wasp, Marauder etc. to avoid siding with the "others"?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #229 on: 24 July 2017, 04:10:48 »
Worth noting Harmony Gold just announced a new movie deal with Sony...
I'm still trying to figure out how Harmony Gold is involved when they don't own the IP. That would be Studio Nue, a Japanese company/. How does Sony, a Japanese corporation not do its own diligence in its own backyard?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #230 on: 24 July 2017, 04:42:40 »
Studio Nue has ownership over something... rather muddy. HG has rights in North America, perhaps worldwide distrobution rights I think according to them. This may be the end to their rights if the right parties get involved but who knows...

As for the et al, that would be Does 1-10 which I figure includes IWM, and InResMedia or InMediaRes... whatever the stupid name is for CGLs parent company. I would be rotflmfao if that 1-10 also included Topps and Microsoft. But yeah.. all rants, whining, and other sundries are going full tilt in the TRO thread in general.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #231 on: 24 July 2017, 11:53:01 »
Deleting as I'm not sure this post would bring down the Wrath of Mod.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2017, 11:57:32 by Pat Payne »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #232 on: 24 July 2017, 12:07:51 »
Yeah, probably better to just discuss alternative options while these are unavailable.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #233 on: 24 July 2017, 12:39:47 »
I'm honestly still not 100% convinced this is all tied to the HG vs. PGI/HBS thing. At least, not to that particular case, as IWM should have been one of the named defendants and not a Doe. So, I don't think they are directly a part of that lawsuit. There could be a different one we haven't found yet, or it could be IWM being cautious, but so far I haven't seen any of the IMR/CGL art mentioned in the Washington case, and that is what IWM's minis would be based on. The likelyhood that the Wasp/Valk getting pulled is related is high, but I'm not 100% convinced that it is the direct cause yet.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #234 on: 24 July 2017, 12:48:18 »
I'm still trying to figure out how Harmony Gold is involved when they don't own the IP. That would be Studio Nue, a Japanese company/. How does Sony, a Japanese corporation not do its own diligence in its own backyard?

(This is what I deleted earlier, hopefully, it's not cutting too close) --

it would really depend on which portion of the Not-Named Franchise they're going to adapt. If they adapt Mospeada or Southern Cross, they can do whatever they like, as those are created and owned lock, stock and barrel by Tatsunoko. I tend to think this is the route HG and Tatsunoko would urge them to go because Japan is a sizeable movie market and they don't want to poke a hornet's nest by stirring up the Big West v. Tatsunoko battle.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #235 on: 24 July 2017, 12:58:23 »
I'm honestly still not 100% convinced this is all tied to the HG vs. PGI/HBS thing. At least, not to that particular case, as IWM should have been one of the named defendants and not a Doe. So, I don't think they are directly a part of that lawsuit. There could be a different one we haven't found yet, or it could be IWM being cautious, but so far I haven't seen any of the IMR/CGL art mentioned in the Washington case, and that is what IWM's minis would be based on. The likelyhood that the Wasp/Valk getting pulled is related is high, but I'm not 100% convinced that it is the direct cause yet.

CM: Mercs and CampOps are specifically highlighted in the complaint and CGL InMediaRes is named.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2017, 13:01:48 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #236 on: 24 July 2017, 14:51:54 »
Honestly, at this point, I am just hoping to see anything cool from the NuSeen, wasp or no.

If nothing else, I am eagerly (and hopefully) awaiting the Locust, Griffin, Wolverine, Thunderbolt, and Battlemaster.

*shrug*

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #237 on: 24 July 2017, 15:41:00 »
Ahh, I was looking at the original complaint. I see on the docket where IMR was subpoenaed, but since I don't have PACER access at the moment, I didn't read all the filings. I didn't see CM: Mercs or Camp Ops mentioned in the original complaint. Where did you find references to those?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #238 on: 24 July 2017, 15:43:48 »
Yeah, those are the other unseen everyone wants, and looks like those will not be affected since they are in the new SW TRO and 2nd SW book.

Perhaps IWM should create 100% wholly unique art for the Macross unseen that gives the same vibe as the Macross work but looks nothing like it and look 1000X better than the ressen so CGL can erase anything related to the unseen including the reseen which are uglier than sin

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #239 on: 24 July 2017, 18:34:19 »
Yeah, probably better to just discuss alternative options while these are unavailable.

Fortunately in the case of the Wasp, the primitive mini is fantastic.