Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XXIX: First Annual 29th Birthday  (Read 54275 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Upcoming Releases XXIX: First Annual 29th Birthday
« Reply #1080 on: 20 May 2024, 18:01:31 »
So just got mine, and uh...y'all know that "S-UM-1XLA" is a Blakist-style model number, right?

Pretty close to it indeed. I assume "XLA" replaces "LAM" in the normal Spectral LAM format because it's experimental.

God, now I'm actually hoping there's lore for this thing.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1081 on: 20 May 2024, 19:05:35 »
Honestly, having big-name generals and lords with crazy elite skills kinda irks me a bit. These people are busy making decisions that affect trillions of people, where do they find time to maintain elite-level tactical skills? I'd really like to see some with veteran or regular skills, and then load them up with force-multiplying SPAs, to reflect their roles as commanders, versus fighters.

Teddy Kurita with the Orion is a 4/3 with 3 command type SPAs.

The Augustine Arquebusiers CO is 4/4 in the T-Hawk.

Most of the cards we have gotten are either legends or tactical commanders.  Not too many regimental COs IIRC.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1082 on: 20 May 2024, 19:09:51 »
The Augustine Arquebusiers CO is 4/4 in the T-Hawk.

In which case he should probably get a cyclops, and give the murder-machine to a bodyguard.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1083 on: 20 May 2024, 20:10:28 »
Pretty close to it indeed. I assume "XLA" replaces "LAM" in the normal Spectral LAM format because it's experimental.

God, now I'm actually hoping there's lore for this thing.

It would be nice to see, tried making it in MegaMec and couldn't get close.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1084 on: 20 May 2024, 20:16:26 »
Stefan Amaris is just such a character per his description in the Liberation of Terra series. Regular gunnery/piloting, crazy force multiplier. Vasily Sandoval in ER:2750 is pretty similar. They exist, but they're just not used often *enough*.

There are plenty of leaders who aren't great MechWarriors. We just don't get their Piloting/Gunnery skills very often because, you know, they're not great MechWarriors and are unlikely to be used in a game. (But Sun-Tzu Liao had better be one of the pilots for the Emperor.) Keep in mind that so many leaders are exceptional fighters is a deliberate style choice for the universe, to reinforce its nonfeudal setting. Early writeups for the fictional call the heads of the Great Houses the "Successor Warlords." A person who wins often in battle is portrayed as more able, even justified, to rule. Devlin Stone became a king by his own hand, for an extreme example.

Now that said, the truly greatest MechWarriors - folks like Yoringa Kurita, Morgan Kell, Kai Allard-Liao, and Natasha Kerensky, the genuine 0/0 pilots - are portrayed as being so deadly that they're above politics. Of these terrifyingly exceptional fighters only The Black Widow held real political station, and that was part of a game being played by Ulric Kerensky. This also fits in with the aesthetic; a Baron or shogun could swing a sword with skill, but their greatest knights and samurai were exemplified by being deadlier than even their lords.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1085 on: 20 May 2024, 21:08:39 »
It also makes sense that we had leaders with good combat skills because the cards were introduced in the Clan Invasion KS, and among the Clans you sometimes have to personally defend your decisions . . . Elias Crichell being an exception.  Even then his ability to dodge the issue ran out.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1086 on: 20 May 2024, 23:02:16 »
Clan Politics is a civilization-scale machine learning algorithm designed to produce the most dangerous person with a minimum viable amount of charisma and the scale is large enough that we get enough of them to fill a moderate size high school auditorium.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

thedancingjoker

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1087 on: 21 May 2024, 01:41:13 »
Now that said, the truly greatest MechWarriors - folks like Yoringa Kurita, Morgan Kell, Kai Allard-Liao, and Natasha Kerensky, the genuine 0/0 pilots - are portrayed as being so deadly that they're above politics. Of these terrifyingly exceptional fighters only The Black Widow held real political station, and that was part of a game being played by Ulric Kerensky. This also fits in with the aesthetic; a Baron or shogun could swing a sword with skill, but their greatest knights and samurai were exemplified by being deadlier than even their lords.

I totally agree with your larger point but to say that Kai Allard-Liao didn't hold any real political station is probably going too far.  For a while he was the heir of an interstellar nation and addressed the assembled 2nd Star League ruling body.  Politics wasn't his main jam, but I would call that having a poltical station.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1088 on: 21 May 2024, 11:57:45 »
I totally agree with your larger point but to say that Kai Allard-Liao didn't hold any real political station is probably going too far.  For a while he was the heir of an interstellar nation and addressed the assembled 2nd Star League ruling body.  Politics wasn't his main jam, but I would call that having a poltical station.

Not to mention that he ran a Prefecture in the Republic for almost 20 years while still maintaining his edge. 
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1089 on: 21 May 2024, 16:57:18 »
Not to mention that he ran a Prefecture in the Republic for almost 20 years while still maintaining his edge. 

d'oh!
« Last Edit: 21 May 2024, 23:23:56 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1090 on: 21 May 2024, 17:08:50 »
It's surprisingly balanced out by giants killing the little ones too. 

Star League vs the Periphery.

Star Adders and the Blood Spirts come to mind.

Hanse vs Max and Max Liao has hellbie dice on top of a fraction of the military might of the FedSuns.

You're replying to the wrong post, FYI. :laugh:
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1091 on: 21 May 2024, 23:24:21 »
Life is beautiful like that sometimes lol
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #1092 on: 22 May 2024, 20:55:08 »

Also, to say that Morgan Kell wasn't political is probably not accurate. He becomes more political after he retires, but he's a Grand Duke, not a hedge knight, everything he does is inherently political and his political goals shape what the Kell Hounds do.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

mechasaurus

• Sergeant
« Reply #1093 on: 22 May 2024, 21:55:14 »
Anyone know when the 40th anniversary boxes go to retail?

You can already order them on the CGL store, but Amazon says June 12.  Ideally, I'd like to support my local game store, but we'll see...

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1094 on: 22 May 2024, 21:57:20 »
Does amazon say that or someone selling through amazon say that? There is a difference - the second is not to be considered reliable

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1095 on: 22 May 2024, 22:01:52 »
Honestly, as regularly as I see Amazon change information, I don't consider the former reliable either.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1096 on: Today at 08:06:41 »
Peachstate Hobby Distribution has the two Anniversary boxes and the Star League Command Lance releasing on June 12th.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1097 on: Today at 08:11:30 »
I wonder why so much later with the general release of the products? Almost a month later.
Is that normal?
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Aresneo

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1098 on: Today at 08:40:10 »
I wonder why so much later with the general release of the products? Almost a month later.
Is that normal?
This is not the normal release pattern, usually its closer to a week between the webstore getting it and general retail. Likely there is something going on with the warehouse that delayed product getting shipped to other distributors and Catalyst decided it was better to get the delayed product out as soon as they can instead of getting the webstore and regular retail releases synchronized.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1099 on: Today at 09:20:58 »
According to the owner of the local comic book store, there's been some general wonkiness with US distributors for a few months now, not just when it comes to Battletech.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1100 on: Today at 09:43:56 »
This is not the normal release pattern, usually its closer to a week between the webstore getting it and general retail. Likely there is something going on with the warehouse that delayed product getting shipped to other distributors and Catalyst decided it was better to get the delayed product out as soon as they can instead of getting the webstore and regular retail releases synchronized.

The one month between PSI getting the product in warehouse and the 'street date' where retailers have it for sale is normal. PSI usually waits till they have it on hand to then advertise it to retailers and ask for orders, and gives a month for that process so they can all generally get the same access. So this isn't a sign that anything went wrong at the PSI warehouse.
The CGL webstore selling as soon as it's in the warehouse instead of the retailer street date is more unusual, possibly because these were thought they were going to be available earlier (Adepticon for example) and players have been waiting on them.  But that issue was in shipping to the warehouse, not a problem once it was at the warehouse.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Register